PDA

View Full Version : Wiccan Priestess Loses High Court Appeal

BigBadBrian
10-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Wiccan Priestess Loses High Court Appeal
By GINA HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer
Tue Oct 11,10:24 AM ET

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court rejected an appeal on Tuesday from a Wiccan priestess angry that local leaders would not let her open their sessions with a prayer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Instead, clergy from more traditional religions were invited to pray at governmental meetings in Chesterfield County, Va., a suburb of Richmond.

Lawyers for Cynthia Simpson had told justices in a filing that most of the invocations are led by Christians. Simpson said she wanted to offer a generalized prayer to the "creator of the universe."

Wiccans consider themselves witches, pagans or neo-pagans, and say their religion is based on respect for the Earth, nature and the cycle of the seasons.

Simpson sued and initially won before a federal judge who said the county's policy was unconstitutional because it stated a preference for a set of religious beliefs.

Simpson lost at the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which found that the county had changed its policy and directed clerics to avoid invoking the name of Jesus.

The Supreme Court is already hearing one religious case this fall. That cases raises the question of whether federal agents can stop a church from using hallucinogenic tea in its religious services. But this case would have provided a better opportunity for the court and new Chief Justice John Roberts to deal with government and religion.

Simpson is a member of a group known as the Broom Riders Association.

The county "issues invitations to deliver prayers to all Christian, Muslim, and Jewish religious leaders in the country. It refuses to issue invitations to Native Americans, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Wiccans, or members of any other religion," justices were told in her appeal by American Civil Liberties Union lawyer Rebecca Glenberg.

The county's attorney, Steven Micas, said that the county's practice was in line with the Supreme Court's endorsement of legislative prayer as long as it did not proselytize, advance or disparage a particular religion.

The case is Simpson v. Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors, 05-195.

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051011/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_prayer_lawsuit)

ELVIS
10-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Fucking Satanist...

Nickdfresh
10-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Wicca is a great religion! Hardly about Satan!:mad:

ELVIS
10-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Bullshit...

FORD
10-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Wicca has nothing whatsoever to do with Satanism.

And right wingers shouldn't applaud this because an attack on religious freedom for some, is an attack on religious freedom for all.

Nickdfresh
10-13-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Wicca has nothing whatsoever to do with Satanism.

And right wingers shouldn't applaud this because an attack on religious freedom for some, is an attack on religious freedom for all.

Yeah, they sit there and bitch and cry about not being able to officially pray in schools, no Ten Commandment monuments in courthouses, and then about anybody finding the least bit double standard in their beliefs...

Well, I'm gonna' pray to "The Dark One" for your souls.:)

rustoffa
10-13-2005, 10:54 PM
From what I've seen, the wicca bitches look harmless. I couldn't tell if they were witches or granolas. It's funny, I ran across the wiccas' @ a dog weight-pull deal. It's an ADBA sanctioned thing exclusively for American Pit Bull Terriers. In short, what I thought were granola hippie lesbos were actually wiccas (wiccans). I asked them about their take on Manifest Destiny and shit.

They kept changing the subject and asked about my dog's bloodline. I told them it was linebred Chivo/Candy stuff and that the grandsire to the male was a belly brother of "Happy Jack."

That was basically the end of it. They just acted weird and packed their shit up.

ELVIS
10-13-2005, 11:13 PM
They are evil...

FORD
10-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Exactly what is "evil" about it? :confused:

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 01:43 AM
Dude, you're an idiot...

You're no Christian at all...

New Orleans is full of these people, or was, and I imagine Seattle is too...

Let me remind you, A Christian is one who has been baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and who has made a personal, free-will decision to commit himself and all his or her life to our Lord and God and Savior, Jesus Christ...
Maybe Wiccans believe in the same God as I do, I don't know about you, you seem to think Allah is the same God and that's pure bullshit...

Maybe I am wrong in calling Wiccans evil, as I am not very knowledgable, but I will look into it...

I do, however know something about Islam and Catholicism...

The former being total bullshit with the latter a close second...

:elvis:

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 02:01 AM
So far I have learned the following...

Wicca has a dual Divinity (God and Goddess)....

Christianity clearly has a single God....

This single point alone is enough to put the two religions at odds with each other...

Wiccans believe that being a 'Witch' is not evil but ancient and positive...

What does the Bible say about that ??

American Standard Version "Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live."
The Answer: Put to death any woman who does evil magic.
Amplified Bible: You shall not allow a woman to live who practices sorcery.
Good News Version: Put to death any woman who practices magic.
James Moffatt Translation: You shall not allow any sorceress to live.
Jerusalem Bible: You shall not allow a sorceress to live.
King James Version: Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
Living Bible: A sorceress shall be put to death.
Modern Language Bible: Allow no sorceress to live.
New American Bible: You shall not let a sorceress live.
New American Standard Bible: You shall not let a sorceress live.
New Century Version: Put to death any woman who does evil magic.
New International Version: Do not allow a sorceress to live.
New Living Translation: A sorceress must not be allowed to live.
New Revised Standard Version: You shall not permit a female sorcerer to live.
New World Translation: You must not preserve a sorceress alive.
The Promise: Contemporary English Version: Death is the punishment for witchcraft.
Revised Standard Version: You shall not permit a sorceress to live.
Revised English Bible: You must not allow a witch to live.

Is that enough ??

Probably not...

You think being gay is ok...

FORD
10-14-2005, 02:05 AM
Yes, and you believe that a 5,000 year old book that claims bats are birds was written by GOD!

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 02:08 AM
Oh fuck off, Mr. Christian...

You repeat yourself over and over...

Give us a fucking break!

Fuck!

rustoffa
10-14-2005, 02:09 AM
Y'all should go read this shit I posted about Mikey busting his fucking ass on the beach @ Easter Island. There's no parallels, but it's funny as shit.

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 02:10 AM
Dude, you must be drunk...;)

rustoffa
10-14-2005, 02:15 AM
Not yet.

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 02:16 AM
:D

Dude, it's only thursday...

rustoffa
10-14-2005, 02:19 AM
*tapping out*

FORD
10-14-2005, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Oh fuck off, Mr. Christian...

You repeat yourself over and over...

Give us a fucking break!

Fuck!

Satan's coming to get you, Elvis......
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/teufel/devil-smiley-104.gif

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 02:30 AM
Yeah, I know...

Even more so since I've been a Christian...

Sounds like he's got you though...

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 02:31 AM
You're a smart guy, Dave, and very nice...

You're just too liberal...:)

FORD
10-14-2005, 02:40 AM
You're a smart guy, Dave, and very nice...

You're just too liberal...:)

I'm really not as liberal as some might think. I just base my beliefs on what Jesus would do.

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 02:51 AM
And Jesus would denounce witches and fags...

Warham
10-14-2005, 06:54 AM
I don't know how you could believe the Gospels, if you don't believe in the Old Testament.

If you believe that somebody 3,000 years ago could have written erroneously about bats being birds, then what makes you think that somebody 2,000 years ago didn't erroneously write about Jesus Christ? It's either all or none.

The Scatologist
10-14-2005, 07:21 AM
According to Elvis

Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, Shinto followers, and Jews, are evil.

Since I the religion I was raised with is inside that group, I guess that makes me evil too.

You stupid cunt.

Warham
10-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Elvis never said Jews were evil.

Millermoos
10-14-2005, 07:26 AM
Not keen on religions but we all should be free to believe in what we want.
Millermoos

Nickdfresh
10-14-2005, 07:39 AM

What are you? Jesus' personal spokesman/director of Public Relations...

I think evangelicalism is "bullshit.":)

But I guess the only people that should be free to practice bullshit superstitions, according to Elvis, are people that believe just as Elvis does...

BigBadBrian
10-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Dude, you're an idiot...

You're no Christian at all...

New Orleans is full of these people, or was, and I imagine Seattle is too...

Let me remind you, A Christian is one who has been baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and who has made a personal, free-will decision to commit himself and all his or her life to our Lord and God and Savior, Jesus Christ...
Maybe Wiccans believe in the same God as I do, I don't know about you, you seem to think Allah is the same God and that's pure bullshit...

Maybe I am wrong in calling Wiccans evil, as I am not very knowledgable, but I will look into it...

I do, however know something about Islam and Catholicism...

The former being total bullshit with the latter a close second...

Elvis speaks the TRUTH!

Only authorized, bonafide, REAL religions should be allowed to pray in front of government proceedings....none of that hocus-pocus crap.

:gulp:

BigBadBrian
10-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Yes, and you believe that a 5,000 year old book that claims bats are birds was written by GOD!

Sorry, FORD.

You claim to be a Christian yet CONTINUALLY call the Bible into question.

You don't go to church.

This amazes me.

You lean on your own understanding of the Word, and that understanding is warped.

You are a sheep that needs to be brought back into the flock.

Quit preaching in the Church of FORD. You are deceiving many, most of all yourself.

BigBadBrian
10-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
According to Elvis

Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, Shinto followers, and Jews, are evil.

Since I the religion I was raised with is inside that group, I guess that makes me evil too.

Not evil, just misguided.

FORD
10-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I don't know how you could believe the Gospels, if you don't believe in the Old Testament.

If you believe that somebody 3,000 years ago could have written erroneously about bats being birds, then what makes you think that somebody 2,000 years ago didn't erroneously write about Jesus Christ? It's either all or none.

The words of Jesus Christ are written by four seperate individuals, and while there are minor differences in wording in some passages, all four agree as to what He said. That's pretty good supporting evidence. On the other hand, nobody verified the Leviticus account that bats were birds.

And maybe that's because the handbook of rules for a sect of priests was never meant for public consumption, while Jesus clearly said to preach His gospel to the ends of the earth.

See the difference?

FORD
10-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Sorry, FORD.

You claim to be a Christian yet CONTINUALLY call the Bible into question.

You don't go to church.

This amazes me.

You lean on your own understanding of the Word, and that understanding is warped.

You are a sheep that needs to be brought back into the flock.

Quit preaching in the Church of FORD. You are deceiving many, most of all yourself.

I'm a realist, where the Bible is concerned. It doesn't bother me that it says bats are birds, because 1) I know God didn't write it and 2) I know Leviticus was never intended to be a rulebook for anyone other than a sect of ancient Jewish priests.

As far as I'm concerned, the essential text in the Bible is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Everything else is secondary. You have historical text, prophecy, poetry, and a number of other things, but what relevance does any of it have to the 21st century, apart from the context of a record of the people and culture which the Messiah came from. The exception being books like Ezekiel, Daniel, and Revelation, which concern prophecies not yet fulfilled.

Nickdfresh
10-14-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm a realist, where the Bible is concerned. It doesn't bother me that it says bats are birds, because 1) I know God didn't write it and 2) I know Leviticus was never intended to be a rulebook for anyone other than a sect of ancient Jewish priests.

As far as I'm concerned, the essential text in the Bible is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Everything else is secondary. You have historical text, prophecy, poetry, and a number of other things, but what relevance does any of it have to the 21st century, apart from the context of a record of the people and culture which the Messiah came from. The exception being books like Ezekiel, Daniel, and Revelation, which concern prophecies not yet fulfilled.

C'mon Ford, don't be so thoughtful and enlightened regarding your spiritual beliefs, you're confusing Brian....You have to blindly except everything told to you by often times semi-literate, lesser educated men and be a sheepish follower to get into heaven....

The Scatologist
10-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Not evil, just misguided.

You just said in a earlier post that Ford is not a very good Christian because he does not question the bible.

So being a little dog that does whatever someone says is being a good Christian to you?

Why the hell are you on a David Lee Roth site anyway?

Rock N Roll is evil remember?

BigBadBrian
10-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
C'mon Ford, don't be so thoughtful and enlightened regarding your spiritual beliefs, you're confusing Brian....You have to blindly except everything told to you by often times semi-literate, lesser educated men and be a sheepish follower to get into heaven....

It scares you that SOME Democrats have religious beliefs, doesn't it?

FORD and I differ on some things, but if he believes Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God, put here on Earth to atone for the sins of all mankind, he is a Christian.

Does that bother you, Nick?

Warham
10-14-2005, 02:36 PM
The words of Jesus Christ are written by four seperate individuals, and while there are minor differences in wording in some passages, all four agree as to what He said. That's pretty good supporting evidence. On the other hand, nobody verified the Leviticus account that bats were birds.

And maybe that's because the handbook of rules for a sect of priests was never meant for public consumption, while Jesus clearly said to preach His gospel to the ends of the earth.

See the difference?

No, I don't see the difference.

Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible. Jesus referred to those books on numerous occasions. He affirmed what Moses wrote. He should know, He's God.

If it's good enough for Him, it's good enough for me.

Warham
10-14-2005, 02:37 PM

FORD and I differ on some things, but if he believes Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God, put here on Earth to atone for the sins of all mankind, he is a Christian.

Does that bother you, Nick? ]

Nick's one of those wishy-washy liberals.

Give him a break.

Remember, Bill Clinton did everything according to how the polls looked that given week. It's the liberal mentality.

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 02:43 PM
I feel your pain...

knuckleboner
10-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible. Jesus referred to those books on numerous occasions. He affirmed what Moses wrote. He should know, He's God.

If it's good enough for Him, it's good enough for me.

and you're sure that none of the old testament was intended to be allegorical?

because it isn't factual doesn't make it wrong. we know God likes to teach with parables, after all...

Warham
10-14-2005, 03:22 PM
I never suggested the Bible be taken as 100% literal. When the scriptures mention the four corners of the Earth, was that to be taken literally? The scriptures also mention that the Earth is a circle that hangs on nothing. If both taken literally, they are incompatible. Obviously the 'four corners' is a metaphor.

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 03:24 PM
That same line of thought can be directed at FORD's stupid bat theory...

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Isaiah 40:22

It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants

FORD
10-14-2005, 03:52 PM
That same line of thought can be directed at FORD's stupid bat theory...

No it can't.

The listing of "bats" among birds is not from an allegory, a metaphor, or a parable. It's from a literal listing of birds that Leviticus prohibits the reader from eating. It was meant to be taken literally by the Levite priests who were the original recipients of the text.

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Ok, go eat a fucking bat!

Ask Ozzy what happens when you bite into one...

The Bible is correct in that regard...

How many people at that time knew or cared if a bat was biologically a bird or not ??

Give me a fucking break FORD...

Hardrock69
10-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Elvis speaks the TRUTH!

Only authorized, bonafide, REAL religions should be allowed to pray in front of government proceedings....none of that hocus-pocus crap.

Authorized?

Authorized by who?

Who the fuck are YOU to say if a religion is "Authorized".

You are starting to sound as stupid as Elvis.

It is good that the county in Virginia changed their rules so as not to mention Jesus.

They should not favor any particular religion.

However they should not discriminate against any religion either.

"The county's attorney, Steven Micas, said that the county's practice was in line with the Supreme Court's endorsement of legislative prayer as long as it did not proselytize, advance or disparage a particular religion."

It is quite obvious that by denying her request to invoke a prayer at their governmental meeting, they ARE disparaging a particular religion, and are in fact discriminating against the woman.

As far as that goes, the Supreme Court is wrong.

The Constitution was founded on the prinicipal that there should be a separation of Church & State anyway. So for them to allow prayers for some people, but not others, regardless of their religious beliefs, is in itself discriminatory.

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
The Constitution was founded on the prinicipal that there should be a separation of Church & State anyway.

And It was founded by Christians...

FORD
10-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Ok, go eat a fucking bat!

Ask Ozzy what happens when you bite into one...

The Bible is correct in that regard...

Nothing happenned to Ozzy when he bit into the bat, other than the momentary shock of realizing it was real, and not rubber as he had thought.

However, the asessment of Sharon and/or his doctors was that he should have rabies shots. Which didn't exist back in Moses' day.

Some people get the shits from eating pork, or swell up from eating shellfish, so it's quite possible those physical reactions might have been interpreted by the primitive Jews as "God doesn't want us to eat this".

Once again, it's a human interpretation, not a divine one.

Warham
10-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Or maybe God didn't want them to eat bats because he knew it might give them tummy aches, similar to when a parent reminds their child not to do something stupid even though the child might already have an inkling that committing said act wouldn't be wise.

BigBadBrian
10-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Authorized?

Authorized by who?

By me, of course. :)

Who the fuck are YOU to say if a religion is "Authorized".

God gave me permission. :)

You are starting to sound as stupid as Elvis.

It is good that the county in Virginia changed their rules so as not to mention Jesus.

They should not favor any particular religion.

Yes they should. They should favor Christianity. :)

However they should not discriminate against any religion either.

"The county's attorney, Steven Micas, said that the county's practice was in line with the Supreme Court's endorsement of legislative prayer as long as it did not proselytize, advance or disparage a particular religion."

It is quite obvious that by denying her request to invoke a prayer at their governmental meeting, they ARE disparaging a particular religion, and are in fact discriminating against the woman.

As far as that goes, the Supreme Court is wrong.

No, they are not. :)

The Constitution was founded on the prinicipal that there should be a separation of Church & State anyway. So for them to allow prayers for some people, but not others, regardless of their religious beliefs, is in itself discriminatory.

What part of the Constitution mentions this so called "separation of Church & State" anyway? (knuckleboner and Guitar Shark, you are not allowed to answer! :D :p )

Hmm?

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Once again, it's a human interpretation, not a divine one.

You confident about that ??

Nickdfresh
10-14-2005, 06:19 PM

Does that bother you, Nick?

And how do you show your Christianity? By supporting immoral wars in the name of conspicuous consumption? I was actually supporting FORD in his beliefs as true and faithful renditions of Christianity in accordance with the teachings of Christ. (But of course I forgot you were irony impaired.) Does that bother you? Please...:rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
10-14-2005, 06:21 PM
]

Nick's one of those wishy-washy liberals.

Hardly. Look up the term "moderate."

[b]Give him a break.

Remember, Bill Clinton did everything according to how the polls looked that given week. It's the liberal mentality.

And Georgie Bush does whatever Karl Rove, coporate whores, & PNAC tells him too.

Ask yourself, "what would Jesus do?" He'd send Rove to hell as a lying, racist ball sucker...

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 06:22 PM
As far as I remember, Brian teaches Sunday school, or some shit like that...

Nickdfresh
10-14-2005, 06:24 PM
As far as I remember, Brian teaches Sunday school, or some shit like that...

God help those kids.:D

Warham
10-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Hardly. Look up the term "moderate."

That description only worked when you first started posting here. We've caught on.

Nickdfresh
10-14-2005, 06:28 PM
That description only worked when you first started posting here. We've caught on.

Really Inspector Clusoe? You've caught on? Did you catch the fact that the majority of my opinions are in line with what the majority of Americans think? I.E. Bush is an idiot, the War in Iraq sucks...

You guys are the extremists...

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 06:29 PM
How so ??

Nickdfresh
10-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Huh?

The Scatologist
10-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Does he touch his students?:confused:

FORD
10-14-2005, 06:33 PM
You confident about that ??

Yes I am.

If someone wants to keep the Kosher dietary laws for themselves, I have no problem with that. Most Jews and Muslims still do live by this code, as do some 7th Day adventists. And there certainly isn't anything wrong with it. As I said, some people have extreme reactions to some of these foods, so it can't be considered unwise NOT to eat them.

However, God told Peter that he was not bound by these laws.....

From the 10th chapter of Acts
9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:

10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,

11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:

12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

Another time, Jesus said that it isn't what you put in your mouth that is "unclean", but rather, what comes out.

Angel
10-14-2005, 06:38 PM

Who are you to throw stones?

Jesus wouldn't make the judgement, he would leave that to his father.

ELVIS
10-14-2005, 06:42 PM
No, he would say "go and sin no more"

Warham
10-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Really Inspector Clusoe? You've caught on? Did you catch the fact that the majority of my opinions are in line with what the majority of Americans think? I.E. Bush is an idiot, the War in Iraq sucks...

You guys are the extremists...

Yes, I'm caught the fact that you toe the company line.

Do you read the NY Times polling data before commenting on an issue here?

Nickdfresh
10-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Yes, I'm caught the fact that you toe the company line.

Do you read the NY Times polling data before commenting on an issue here?

No. I had an opinion from the beginning...And then the "opinion polls" seemed to follow suit, for whatever that's worth. You've got things backwards. How's that sand taste?

Hardrock69
10-15-2005, 05:44 PM
LMFAO!!! This thread is one of the best demonstrations that Warham, BigBadBrucie and Elvis are delusional and live in a fantasy-land.

According to them, if you are not a Christian Neo-Con genocidal murderer who condones torture, theft, corruption, oprression of minorities and general evil activities there is something wrong with you.

Crazy people are allowed to post on this board too I guess....
:cool:

Warham
10-15-2005, 05:57 PM
LMFAO!!! This thread is one of the best demonstrations that Warham, BigBadBrucie and Elvis are delusional and live in a fantasy-land.

According to them, if you are not a Christian Neo-Con genocidal murderer who condones torture, theft, corruption, oprression of minorities and general evil activities there is something wrong with you.

Crazy people are allowed to post on this board too I guess....
:cool:

I still notice that liberals have delusional fantasies about what reality should be, as opposed to what it really is.

FORD
10-15-2005, 06:07 PM
I still notice that liberals have delusional fantasies about what reality should be, as opposed to what it really is.

I think you have that backwards.

Theocracy is NOT the reality in this country, but that's what the BCE wants, and it seems that you, Elvis, and Brian support that unconstitutional delusion.

The Scatologist
10-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Liberal Vs Conservative
Scat style :D

A Liberal and a Conservative are on a company picnic and they both decide to take a poo before lunch.

Unfortunately, the park uses cheap ass toilet paper, and the paper rips,and their fingers go through.

Liberal = Hmmm, there seems to be shit on my hands, that's no good, I better make things better by washing them.

Conservative = Hmmm, there's shit on my hands, oh well, the reality is that there is shit on my hands, so I guess I will just eat this nice juicy peanut butter sandwich, with shit on my hands.

:D