• DLR'sCock
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Iraq Has Descended into Anarchy, Says Fisk

Iraq Has Descended into Anarchy, Says Fisk
    By Nigel Morris
    The Independent UK

Thursday 13 October 2005

Most of Iraq is in a state of anarchy, with insurgents controlling parts of Baghdad just half a mile from the so-called Green Zone, an Independent debate was told last night.

Robert Fisk, Middle East correspondent for The Independent, whose new book The Great War for Civilisation: the Conquest of the Middle East has just been published by 4th Estate, painted a picture of deepening chaos and misery in Iraq more than two years after Saddam Hussein was toppled.

He said that the "constant, intensive involvement" in the Middle East by the West was a recurring pattern over centuries and was the reason why "so many Muslims in the Middle East hate us". He added: " We can close doors on history. They can't."

Fisk doubted the sincerity of Western leaders' commitment to bringing democracy to Iraq and said a lasting settlement in the country was impossible while foreign troops remained. "In the Middle East, they would like some of our democracy, they would like a couple of boxes off the supermarket shelves of human rights as well. But I think they would also like freedom from us."

Recalling the sight of an immense US convoy rolling into the country's capital, he said: "A superpower has a visceral need to project military power. We can go to Baghdad, so we will go to Baghdad."

He told the debate in London: "The Americans must leave Iraq and they will leave Iraq, but they can't leave Iraq and that is the equation that turns sand to blood. At some point, they will have to talk to the insurgents.

"But I don't know how, because those people who might be negotiators _ the United Nations, the Red Cross their headquarters have been blown up. The reality now in Iraq is the project is finished. Most of Iraq, except Kurdistan, is in a state of anarchy."

He said that the portrayal of Iraq by Western leaders _ of efforts to introduce democracy, including Saturday's national vote on the country's proposed constitution _ was "unreal" to most of its citizens. In Baghdad, children and women were kept at home to prevent them from being kidnapped for money or sold into slavery. They faced a desperate struggle to find the money to keep generators running to provide themselves with electricity. "They aren't sitting in their front rooms discussing the referendum on the constitution."

With insurgents half a mile from Baghdad's Green Zone, Fisk said the danger to reporters from a brutal insurgency that did not respect journalists was increasing. "Every time I go to Baghdad it's worse, every time I ask myself how we can keep going. Because the real question is _ is the story worth the risk?"

He attacked television reporters for flinching from depicting the everyday bloodshed on the streets of Iraq. "You can go and see Saving Private Ryan or Kingdom of Heaven, people have their heads cut off. When it comes to real heads being cut off, you can't. I think television connives with governments at war." He added: "Newspapers can tell you as closely as they can what these horrors are like."

Asked if the "anger and passion" he felt over the events he witnessed had affected his objectivity, he said: "When you are at the scene of a massacre, you are entitled to feel immense anger and I do."

He rejected suggestions that graphic pictures of the dead in newspapers took away their dignity. He said: "My view is the people who are dead would want us to record what happened to them."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Original

US Troops 'Starve Iraqi Citizens'
    BBC

Saturday 15 October 2005

A senior United Nations official has accused US-led coalition troops of depriving Iraqi civilians of food and water in breach of humanitarian law.

Human rights investigator Jean Ziegler said they had driven people out of insurgent strongholds that were about to be attacked by cutting supplies.

Mr Ziegler, a Swiss-born sociologist, said such tactics were in breach of international law.

A US military spokesman in Baghdad denied the allegations.

"A drama is taking place in total silence in Iraq, where the coalition's occupying forces are using hunger and deprivation of water as a weapon of war against the civilian population," Mr Ziegler told a press conference in Geneva.

He said coalition forces were using "starvation of civilians as a method of warfare."

"This is a flagrant violation of international law," he added.

'False Allegations'

Mr Ziegler said he understood the "military rationale" when confronting insurgents who do not respect "any law of war".

But he insisted that civilians who could not leave besieged cities and towns for whatever reason should not suffer as a result of this strategy.

Lieutenant Colonel Steve Boylan, a US military spokesman, later rejected the accusations.

"Any allegations of us withholding basic needs from the Iraqi people are false," he said.

Even though some supplies had been delayed during fighting, he argued that "all precautions" were being taken to take care of civilians.

"It does not do relief supplies any good if you have them going into a firefight," he said.

The Geneva Conventions forbid depriving civilians of food and water.

Cutting off food supply lines and destroying food stocks is also forbidden.

Mr Ziegler, who opposed the US-led invasion of Iraq, said he would urge the UN General Assembly to condemn this practice when he presented his yearly report on 27 October.

-------
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

So much anarchy that 61% of eligible voters went to the polls yesterday.

Mass hysteria, for sure.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Warham

Mass hysteria, for sure.
      Actually, I heard this week that the Iraqi Sunni-led guerillas wanted people to go to the polls so they could vote 'no,' and most vowed to not only not attack, but to provide unofficial security...

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Actually, I heard this week that the Iraqi Sunni-led guerillas wanted people to go to the polls so they could vote 'no,' and most vowed to not only not attack, but to provide unofficial security...
        Well, it looks like they failed, as preliminary reports suggest the constitution will pass. They better get back to doing it the old-fashioned way: carbombing innocent people on street corners.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Mass hysteria, for sure.
          5 more US Soldiers dead today.

Fuck you and your smarmy retort.

It IS anarchy over there, you're just too much of a BushSucker to even admit it.
          Originally posted by Kristy
          Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
          Originally posted by cadaverdog
          I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

It IS anarchy over there, you're just too much of a BushSucker to even admit it.
            There was more anarchy in Toledo, Ohio than there was in Iraq yesterday.

Gee, you wouldn't happen to be from Seattle, would you?

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Is this the M.P.L.A or
              Is this the U.D.A or
              Is this the I.R.A
              I thought it was the UK
              Or just another country
              Another fuckup by the BCE....
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Well, it looks like they failed, as preliminary reports suggest the constitution will pass. They better get back to doing it the old-fashioned way: carbombing innocent people on street corners.
                That's 'al Qaida of Iraq,' different group entirely, though allied with the Iraqi Resistance (at this point). The civil war is coming, no matter what, at this point; sides have been been chosen. The only real question is how long the US will let itself be bled like we did in Vietnam...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

There was more anarchy in Toledo, Ohio than there was in Iraq yesterday.

Gee, you wouldn't happen to be from Seattle, would you?
                  How many Ohio National Guardsmen died in their state yesterday?

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

That's 'al Qaida of Iraq,' different group entirely
                    Yes, different as in "entirely fictional".
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

That's 'al Qaida of Iraq,' different group entirely, though allied with the Iraqi Resistance (at this point). The civil war is coming, no matter what, at this point; sides have been been chosen. The only real question is how long the US will let itself be bled like we did in Vietnam...
                      Well, if a civil war happens, it happens. Our civil war made our country better as a result, perhaps theirs will too, if such a scenario happens.

I'm tired of the comparisons to Vietnam really. There's very little in common between the two wars. Just in terms of casualties, Some 56,000+ men died between 1965-1973 in Southeast Asia. We would have to be there until 2058, at the present rate of lost soldiers, to acrue those kinds of casualties.

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

How many Ohio National Guardsmen died in their state yesterday?
                        Anarchy is not always described in terms of casualties.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Well, if a civil war happens, it happens. Our civil war made our country better as a result, perhaps theirs will too, if such a scenario happens.

I'm tired of the comparisons to Vietnam really. There's very little in common between the two wars. Just in terms of casualties, Some 56,000+ men died between 1965-1973 in Southeast Asia. We would have to be there until 2058, at the present rate of lost soldiers, to acrue those kinds of casualties.
                          Well, the comparisons are quite apt. We're involved in a quagmire in which the gov't has no clue as to what it is doing. And who gives a fuck how many are dying in terms of numbers when they're throwing their lives away for a big nothing? Typical hypocritical right-wing propaganda trash (oh, it's a much smaller war, so US deaths are more acceptable) BULLSHIT!!

And all you guys used to do was bitch about the Khobar Towers bombings or the USS Cole, or Mogadishu. I guess the numbers only matter when you rail agaisnt Democrats.

How about, 'only' 3,000 people died on 9/11, and that's not enough of an excuse for running around the world, spending trillions of dollars and thousands of lives trying to "head off" the next attack in fool hardy misadventures that make no sense, and may actually make future attacks more likely.

I guess it's okay to suffer few needless casuslties...As long as you or none of your relatives are doing the dying...

P.S. And besides, when your Fearless Leader keeps couching the "War on Terra'" in terms of WWII analogies, I think Vietnam is quite apt...
                          Last edited by Nickdfresh; 10-16-2005, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Anarchy is not always described in terms of casualties.
                            War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Comment

• Warham
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

And who gives a fuck how many are dying in terms of numbers when they're throwing their lives away for a big nothing?
                              Your opinion, nothing more.

And all you guys used to do was bitch about the Khobar Towers bombings or the USS Cole, or Mogadishu. I guess the numbers only matter when you rail agaisnt Democrats.
                              Ha! Bush-haters rub their hands together every time the body count goes up in Iraq. Please.

How about, 'only' 3,000 people died on 9/11, and that's not enough of an excuse for running around the world, spending trillions of dollars and thousands of lives trying to "head off" the next attack in fool hardy misadventures that make no sense, and may actually make future attacks more likely.
                              How many times have we been attacked since 9/11?

I guess it's okay to suffer few needless casuslties...As long as you or none of your relatives are doing the dying...
                              I think there are plenty of Bush supporters who have relatives fighting over in Iraq right now.

P.S. And besides, when your Fearless Leader keeps couching the "War on Terra'" in terms of WWII analogies, I think Vietnam is quite apt...
                              That's Bush's decision to use analogies, if he so chooses. I see few between this war and Iraq.

Comment

Working...