PDA

View Full Version : FEMA Paid RETAIL for most supplies !!!!!!!!

LoungeMachine
10-16-2005, 08:55 PM
FEMA paid retail for most supplies

WASHINGTON, Oct. 15 (UPI) -- U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency records show the agency, along with four other agencies, has paid retail for many Hurricane Katrina expenses.

It used to take the U.S. government weeks using its voucher system to make an order for goods and have the paper work processed, but the new system of using government credit cards allows government workers simply to charge items.

The credit card limit was $2,500, but following the devastation of Hurricane Katrina the limit was raised to $250,000 per credit card.

Danielle Brian, executive director of the Project on Government Oversight, questioned whether federal agencies needed to pay full retail price rather than seek discounts from manufacturers.

"I do understand that time is of the essence, but you can still buy very quickly without going to Best Buy," she said.

So far, some $19 million has been spent via government credit cards for huge quantities of everything from ink cartridges and Gatorade to $3,125 laptop computers.

© Copyright 2005 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved

BigBadBrian
10-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Should have went to Wal-Mart. ;)

jhale667
10-17-2005, 06:38 PM
...Does this suprise ANYONE when the pentagon pays $250 for a hammer? It's par for the course.....

Unchainme
10-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
...Does this suprise ANYONE when the pentagon pays $250 for a hammer? It's par for the course.....

That reminds me of that one scene in Indenpendence Day.

[At the secret government lab]
President Thomas Whitmore: I don't understand, where does all this come from? How do you get funding for something like this?
Julius Levinson: You don't actually think they spend $20,000.00 on a hammer, $30,000.00 on a toilet seat do you?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0116629/quotes

Grate fooking movie BTW.

LoungeMachine
10-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Should have went to Wal-Mart. ;)

:D :D :D

thome
10-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
FEMA paid retail for most supplies

WASHINGTON, Oct. 15 (UPI) -- U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency records show the agency, along with four other agencies, has paid retail for many Hurricane Katrina expenses.

It used to take the U.S. government weeks using its voucher system to make an order for goods and have the paper work processed, but the new system of using government credit cards allows government workers simply to charge items.

The credit card limit was $2,500, but following the devastation of Hurricane Katrina the limit was raised to $250,000 per credit card.

Danielle Brian, executive director of the Project on Government Oversight, questioned whether federal agencies needed to pay full retail price rather than seek discounts from manufacturers.

"I do understand that time is of the essence, but you can still buy very quickly without going to Best Buy," she said.

So far, some $19 million has been spent via government credit cards for huge quantities of everything from ink cartridges and Gatorade to $3,125 laptop computers.

© Copyright 2005 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved
No Really What does FEMA mean to You?;)

Cathedral
10-18-2005, 01:44 AM
There's so much pork in 100% of all governmental spending i bet the budgets are written right here in Cincinnati.

For those who don't know it, Cincinnati was once known as Porkopolis for its great Pig Farmin' Heritage...We know Pork when we see it.

The Insurance Biz has the same disease to be honest.
Everything is over billed and paid without anyone ever asking why.

For example: I can buy a brand new powered wheelchair for $4500 from a local supplier for cash, credit, whatever.
But i can get that same wheelchair at the same supplier through my insurance for $6400...Ok, why the extra $2100 if my insurance pays for it?
These questions don't get asked because if I ain't paying for it, I ain't saying shit that may cost me, that's why, lol.

The trouble is that the careless spending causes premium hikes for everyone and fewer benefits for people when they need them down the road.

It's all relative and right now any of us who have accounts that aren't under a lease agreement are probably seeing what i am...$5 to $10 increases in monthly payments notices here and there.
My minimum monthly payment went up on two credit cards so far. the rent on my garage space went up $10.00...Milk, Sugar, Bread, Meat and Poultry...It's all on the rise along with gas prices.

It's all relative as i said, and it's rooted in GREED

ELVIS
10-18-2005, 02:00 AM
But it's not all relative...

There's a breaking point...

Cathedral
10-18-2005, 02:16 AM
A household can't shell out more than it brings in without going bankrupt, neither can America.

It's Basic Economics 101 and you don't have to be a Professor to see where the breaking point is.