X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Golden AWe
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Deep Purple: Burn

I'd never question who is the real singer for Deep Purple, but Coverdale did his best album with Blackmore and the guys...this album really has no weak tracks...it's dahm tight, and songs like BURN, MIGHT JUST TAKE YOUR LIFE and MISTREATED rank among the all-time best Purple tracks...fuck, I larve this album.

Any other fans? Discuss.

PS. Stormbringer, the follow-up of this album, and the last album with this line-up, it was SHITE compared to this album or the other Purple-albums, IMO...
    Originally posted by Cato
    Golden, why are you FAT?
    Originally posted by lesfunk
    Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg
  • PHOENIX
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

I like Burn. Its not the same as the original line up but the guitar riffs are pretty cool. Very underated album. Coverdale sounded just GRATE on this.

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

I dig...

Comment

• Mr Badguy
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

"Burn" is great, no doubt.

But...

I really love "Stormbringer" as well.

I think it was cool for them to try and go in a different direction (although Blackmore didn`t want to).

"Holy man", "Hold on", "Stormbringer", "Gypsy", a bunch of great songs.

Maybe the first ever crossover album?
        sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Golden AWe
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

I do like those songs and listen to them, occasionally, but somehow, they sound a bit tired on that album...STORMBRINGER I mean.

Maybe it's because I such a big fan of Blackmore...a true virtuoso.
          Originally posted by Cato
          Golden, why are you FAT?
          Originally posted by lesfunk
          Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
          http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Oct 2004

"Burn" is a classic.

Mistreated gets me everytime.
            Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Nigel

I do agree Mr. GoldenAwe. But hell yeah, Stormbringer and even Come Taste the Band are great DP albums. BURN is the real deal for sure!

I'm sure you acknowledge Mr.Glenn Hughes soulful singing as well, and I have to tell you, you are missing a hell of a lot of good music if you aren't plugged into what Glenn's been doing over the last 10 years. Check out glennhughes.com and realize that there is life after Ritchie Blackmore.

Yes, I think Ritchie is very underrated, and there are "gems" found in Blackmore's Rainbow, like Still I'm Sad etc, etc. I'm sure you're very familiar with all his stuff.

Ritchie was one of the few who could really let you know HOW GOOD a STRAT could sound.

(Perhaps even better than Clapton!!!)

Cheers

Nigel

Comment

• PHOENIX
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

We're always making plans for Nigel. :d

Comment

• thome
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Mar 2005

Machine Head Was Machine Headed Into MY HEAD MAAAANNN!!!!!!!

Burn Roks !!!!

Seen em two times in the 70s can't rememmber MAAAANN!!!!

Then saw them late 80s return of Blackmore tour and they absolutely
                  blew the roof of so tight so loud .Child in time was the closer .I got
                  so lucky w some babe in the balcony.
                  Thanks for the memory.

I cant remember if coverdale sang or who Was on Drums.I wanna say
                  Tommy Aldrige,Any Help

I spent some time trying a little DP research Nice thread AWe.
                  No not the DP your thinkin of .

Comment

• ace diamond
                    Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

i still have the burn album on vinyl. great record........title track and "mistreated" are the best on the lp.
                    Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                    When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
                    "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• Nigel

Hey Thome, you must have been really wasted! In the late 80's it was Ritchie, Ian Gillan singing, Roger Glover on bass, Jon Lord on organ and Ian Paice on drums
                      (The original BAND!!!)

Then I think they all had a Van Halen "moment" and called the whole thing off, cause Ritchie can be a bigger PRICK than Ed and Al put together.

By the way Ritchie NEVER really acknowledged Eddie, because Ed took all the magazine covers away from him during the 70' and 80's.

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

BURN is a classic...one of DEEP PURPLE's best albums. Right up there with MACHINE HEAD and IN ROCK...not quite as good, but close.

PURPLE is one of the few bands ever that I acknowledge another lead singer.

SAIL AWAY is one of my favorite DEEP PURPLE songs. YOU FOOL NO ONE is another very favorite. LAY DOWN, STAY DOWN has Paicey's best drumming ever. The title track is a bit of a rewrite of HIGHWAY STAR, but it's incredible. A brilliant album.

STORMBRINGER does have its good moments...HIGH BALL SHOOTER, the title track (a great song), SOLDIER OF FORTUNE, GYPSY.

COME TASTE THE BAND is also very solid...some great songs. Overall, I may actually prefer it even to STORMBRINGER. Bolin plays up a storm...GETTIN' TIGHTER is another favorite of mine. DEALER is great.

Great thread, BTW.

Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• thome
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Nigel
                          Hey Thome, you must have been really wasted! In the late 80's it was Ritchie, Ian Gillan singing, Roger Glover on bass, Jon Lord on organ and Ian Paice on drums
                          (The original BAND!!!)

Then I think they all had a Van Halen "moment" and called the whole thing off, cause Ritchie can be a bigger PRICK than Ed and Al put together.

By the way Ritchie NEVER really acknowledged Eddie, because Ed took all the magazine covers away from him during the 70' and 80's.
                          Thanks Nigel as soon as i was reading your post I recalled exactly what you said.

The reason i made shure i saw this Show was it was the original line up.

I've always been a partyer and as i've gotten older things gave way
                          to make room for newer memories. It sometimes takes a little
                          prompting to restore them so, Is that normal. It is in My World.lol

All my old buds from the Days are all over the place so all those Memories disappear due to non -discusion.(sp)

I've heard since WAY back about Blackmores Ego.Ego seems to run in the rock scene
                          like Tatoos and Tracks on a forearm. Rampant.Thanks again .

Plus im a fan of music not a true Artist so I dont have the wealth of
                          knowlege alot of people have on the scene.I earn my living
                          outside the industry.Roth On!

Comment

• David Lee Rocks
                            Sniper
                            • Jan 2004

ya know what, I was thinking about that album the other day, LOL, my dad had the album back in the seventies, I loved it!! I recently found it on cd at tower records, I think It was like 20 bucks!! I decided to wait till the price goes down, hehhehe

Comment

• Nigel

Everyone on this post should check out glennhughes.com

DP had so many variations and yeah, the "originals" were the best, But you HAVE to appreciate Glenn's singing. He IS the "white Stevie Wonder"

Cheers, Nigel

P.s. If anyone hears a great Ritchie riff, please let us know!!!!

Comment

Working...