X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Julius
    Foot Soldier
    • Jan 2004

MTV: Rock Star: Van Halen may be a reality

Sorry the video or page cannot be found. The page may have been removed, had its name changed, or is just temporarily unavailable. Please use search or visit our home page. Thank you.

"Rock Star: INXS" was a gamble that paid dividends.

For CBS, it was a ratings win. For Mark Burnett, the producer behind "Survivor" and "The Apprentice," it bolstered his reputation as the King Midas of reality television. And the show has
    revived INXS's career: With new singer J.D. Fortune in tow, the group has returned to the charts with the single "Pretty Vegas"; Switch, the band's first LP since 1997, lands in stores on November 29; and a 22-date North American tour is slated to kick off in Canada on January 18 (see "INXS Insist Finding J.D. Was An 'Organic' Process, Think 'Angels Got Together' ").

The success of the first season aside, it remains to be seen whether "Rock Star" will return for a second season. But if the series is added to next summer's CBS lineup, expect to see Van Halen tapping into America's rock and roll pipeline for a new singer.

While a spokesperson for Van Halen said the band has no comment regarding pending projects, a source close to the show claimed that the core Van Halen trio — brothers Alex and Eddie Van Halen and bassist Michael Anthony — will be auditioning potential frontmen and women for the show's still-hypothetical second season. The winner would be stepping into the shoes — and, in one case, the chaps — previously worn by David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, and (briefly) former Extreme singer Gary Cherone.

The news follows weeks of rumors concerning potential "Rock Star" second-season bands, with Van Halen and even Alice in Chains being the popular frontrunners. Earlier this week, a spokesperson for Alice in Chains guitarist Jerry Cantrell scoffed at the notion that the band would even consider appearing on the show.

On Tuesday, "Rock Star: INXS" co-host and former Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro declined to discuss the show's future or confirm whether he's been approached to reprise his role for a second season. However, he did say, "Van Halen would be awesome — I'd just love to sit and hang with Ed."

And judging from Navarro's show-ending comments during the season finale — that the show had given him his "best summer ever" — it seems likely that he'd accept an offer to return.

"Not only did I get to hear some great rock songs every week, but I got to know all the guys in INXS and all the singers and hang out with them a lot," Navarro said. "I made some really great friends, and I also got to be a part of helping some artists reach out and touch their dreams. Whether or not they won the show wasn't the point; the point was they got to do their craft in front of millions of people. [INXS are] going to be members of my musical family forever, and hopefully I'll be the same for them."

— Chris Harris, with additional reporting by Jim Fraenkel
  • guwapo_rocker

Pulease.......Just when you thought Van Halen couldn't sink

any lower!!! Fucksticks!!

Comment

• Soul Reaper
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2005

Goddamn MTV!!!!
      ROTH ARMY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RothArmyVideos

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face." - Frank Zappa to Tipper Gore

Comment

• Soul Reaper
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2005

they don't need a new singer....

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face." - Frank Zappa to Tipper Gore

Comment

• Julius
          Foot Soldier
          • Jan 2004

Does anyone think Eddie could keep it together long enough to make it through an entire season?

The guy's a F'ing train wreck.

Comment

• Soul Reaper
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2005

He'll get pissed off with the singers or something.....he pisses almost everyone off....

Comment

• Jimmy Jingles
              Veteran
              • Mar 2004

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Please Ed...don't do it!

Could you imagine...Ed drunk, cradling a bottle of Loon and talking gibberish. What a trainwreck this would be.

The only thing that would save that show would be if Brooke Burke went topless exposing those luscious Larg Titties!!!!
              23. That's the number of people Mr. T has pitied in the time it has taken you to read this sentence.

Comment

• Matt White
                • Jun 2004

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I FUCKING Hope those washed up COCK-SMOKERS try this!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

FUCK YOU EVH & AVH!!!!!

Comment

• Mezro
                  Full Member Status

• May 2004

And you just know Al would take a shot or two at Dave in front of a national audience.

Mezro..."well we had this one guy singing for us when we started. He had a real ego and was horrible to work with."...shut the fuck up turnip head...go back behind your kit and try not to have another ceiling fall on you...
                  Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• The Scatologist
                    Sniper
                    • Jan 2005

I'd love to see this lmao.

Just to see how bad it is.
                    The name Sammy Hagar conjures up a variety of emotions from music fans--from hate to contempt, from disgust to revulsion.

-TheSmokingGun.com

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Say it ain't so!

(that having been said, Brooke Burke naked ......YUM....)
                      Originally posted by conmee
                      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                      Originally posted by eddie78
                      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Molly Blue
                        Roadie
                        • Apr 2005

Eddie, Alex, Michael, David.... I am getting damn tired of making excuses for you boys so would you please just get your f*cking acts together and give us the reunion we have all been waiting for so that you may go on and live your lives in peace?

Fuck it. Heres the deal. We all want a reunion... but good things come to those who wait. So "I'll Wait".

In the meantime, if Dave wants to go on the radio...power to him. If Eddie wants to go on tv...power to him as well.

Anything that puts David, or Eddie, or Alex, or even Michael in the spot light also puts Classic Van Halen in the spot light. Like it or not... thats the way it be. Having their name in the spotlight gets them just that much closer to the Hall of Fame (*shame*) for whatever that may be worth in the long run.

So they tried Sammy... didn't work. They tried Gary... didn't work... let them try some young new blood... we get a few new songs... and they realize once again... David Lee Roth is Van Halen.

I think we all know, no matter how much we would like it to be otherwise, a reunion of the four will be a nostalgia tour... and if they are not ready to throw in the towel... then its just not time for that to happen yet.

I, for one, am just happy that all four of them are still alive and kicking and doing shit for you all to bitch about than for one of them to be pushin up daisies and us crying about what might have been.

Comment

• Matt White
                          • Jun 2004

There is no VAN HALEN without DAVID LEE ROTH........

20+ years have proved this unarguable fact.....

Watching the sisters whore themselves once again would be a riot.....

The fans have spoken...LOUD & CLEAR.....

DAVID LEE ROTH IS VAN HALEN.

They might as well call their new band "Smoking Loon"....cuz ain't NOBODY gonna care......

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

**sigh**

I will haveta keep some towels nearby from now on....if this turns out to be true, I will barf....

Comment

• bantonelli
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Nov 2004

TALK ABOUT INSULT TO INJURY....This the ultimate ugly decision, if this is what it all boils down to.

This really gets me mad. Mad enough that I'd be willing to send an Email to MTV to let them know that if Van Halen attempts this....they are going to fail miserably.

Why don't we let our voices be heard over there at MTV.....they will know that for every one of us who complains and spreads the word....the Neilsen Ratings might be making a mistake using VH.....who's gonna watch them....better yet, whose going to BUY Their CD or give them Radio Air Time???? Diamond Dave ???

Yeah, maybe Diamond Dave as he "Slam Dunks" the "New Van Halen"

INDEEDHEDO !
                              "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

Working...