• BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

My dinner with a bush-hater

My dinner with a bush-hater
    Oct 20, 2005
    by Larry Elder

Rudeness plagues America.

Nearly 70 percent of Americans, according to a recent Associated Press-Ipsos poll, consider people more rude than 20 or 30 years ago. Over the last 20 years, according to two prominent Democratic strategists, Americans engaged in a kind of "great sorting-out" -- staking out hard, well-defined, even intolerant, ideological political camps.

Now it all makes sense -- only one side seems a tad more intolerant than the other.

Take last Friday. After work, I drove to a local watering hole for my customary vodka and cran. A couple of anti-war Democrats and I began talking politics. While I disagreed with their positions, they made sensible, if unpersuasive, arguments. You know the drill: Bush built a case for war on bad intelligence; the cultural complexity of Iraq makes America's "imposition" of a democracy unlikely; the Iraq War now serves as a breeding ground for terrorists; other enemies like Iran and North Korea pose even greater threats to America; etc. But then another man, eavesdropping, decided to join in. Within five seconds, he called the president "an idiot." I let it go. Moments later, however, he changed it to "moron." All right, enough.

"Sir, you don't know me, and I don't know you. You barged into a conversation, not a wrestling match. He gave his view," I said, pointing to another man, "and gave reasons. Calling the president 'an idiot' is not a reason. It is childish and shows your lack of ability to make a sensible argument."

He said, "Well, I'm entitled to my opinion."

"That's not an opinion. It's an attack. And in any case, you're not entitled to have me listen to it. So I suggest you move on and enlighten somebody else."

He glared, but walked away.

Now on to the next day, Saturday. A friend, a decorated Vietnam vet, celebrated his 60th birthday with about 50 festive partygoers. I sat at a table of eight, and someone said something about the president's recent defense of Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers, calling the battle for her confirmation "uphill." To this, the 60-something woman sitting next to me, with whom, up until this point, I had exchanged pleasantries, suddenly blurted, "Well, I'm from Seattle, and we hate Bush up there -- "

I let it go.

" -- and the thing that we hate the most about Bush is that he claims people shouldn't pay taxes."

All right, enough.

"Excuse me," I said, "can you tell me when the president said, 'People shouldn't pay taxes'?"

"He says it all the time," she replied.

"So then it should be fairly easy for you to tell me when, or perhaps where, he said it."

"Well, it's in his budget."

"Do you mean the most recently passed budget," I asked, "the one that calls for spending something like two-and-a-half trillion dollars?"

"Yes."

"If the budget calls for that much in spending, where do you suppose the government gets the money?"

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Well, you say the president says 'people ought not pay taxes.' If people don't pay taxes, how does the government get the two-and-a-half trillion?"

"Oh," she said, "I see what you're saying. Let me clarify. Bush says, 'Rich people should not pay taxes.'"

"Oh, really? And when did he say that?"

"Well, he implies it -- he's always seeking to cut taxes on the rich."

"Well," I responded, "as a member of the so-called rich, I welcome you to take a look at my 1040. I pay a substantial amount in taxes. And if there's some program or provision that allows 'the rich' to avoid taxes, perhaps I should consider firing my accountant." At this, the others at the table laughed, but not, of course, my debating opponent.

"Well, it's obvious," she said. "We see things differently."

"We most certainly do, and I think it's pretty much fruitless for us to continue the conversation. But, if you don't mind, I have a brief question for you."

"OK," she said.

"Of the top 1 percent of taxpayers, what percentage do they pay of federal income tax revenues?"

"What do you mean?"

"Assume this is a pie," I said, cupping my hands in a circle. "The top 1 percent contributes what size slice -- by percentage -- of that pie?"

"Oh, I see," she said. "Virtually nothing."

"Nothing?"

"Maybe 1 percent, maybe 2 percent."

Later, during the party, several people told her that I hosted a nationally syndicated radio show, and informed her of my "conservative" politics.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I didn't mean to anger you."

"No, I wasn't angry. I was disappointed that someone could go through the world so incredibly ill-informed."

She walked away.

For the record, since my table companion doesn't know or doesn't care, the top 1 percent -- the taxpayers with an adjusted gross income (AGI) over $295,495 -- paid, for 2003, 34.27 percent of federal income tax revenues. The top 10 percent (with an AGI over $94,891) paid 65.84 percent, the top half (AGI over $29,019) paid 96.54 percent. The bottom half? They paid 3.46 percent.

People should know this. Even if you live in Seattle.

Link
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • Sarge's Little Helper
    Commando
    • Mar 2003

Last edited by FORD; 10-20-2005, 10:46 AM.
    "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• ashstralia
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
      For the record, since my table companion doesn't know or doesn't care, the top 1 percent -- the taxpayers with an adjusted gross income (AGI) over $295,495 -- paid, for 2003, 34.27 percent of federal income tax revenues. The top 10 percent (with an AGI over $94,891) paid 65.84 percent, the top half (AGI over $29,019) paid 96.54 percent. The bottom half? They paid 3.46 percent.
      this is exactly why i like gst....

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Actually this post is pointless.

Ok so a man has the "opinion" that Chimpy is an idiot.

And some woman is ill-informed about taxes.

So???

What is the fucking point?

This is a post about two stupid people, nothing more.

This belongs in the Non forum, as it has nothing to do with politics.

Comment

• Cathedral
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

This is why i never gave a shit if the rich got a tax cut.
          I don't think that just because someone does well for themselves they should get punished and bear the burdon of the tax bill.

The poor don't even have to pay taxes and in most cases get a refund for a hell of a lot more than they pay in if they have dependants.

I have owed taxes the last few years and i also pay $1700 in property tax per year and it hurts the rich as much as it hurts the not so rich when you add up the numbers.
          But the number i want to find out is what percentage of the population doesn't pay income tax at all?
          If we should be bitching about anything it should be about those who pay nothing but account for a majority of the spending in social programs like welfare, social security and medicaid.

Comment

• Big Train
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I agree with this article and it is a frusration I share talking to libs all the time. Those who are quick to anger, shout out slogans to me with no real facts or opinions to back them up, it is really stupid.

Now, I realize there are supposed sheep on my side too, no doubt, but the point he is trying to make is that political discourse has really gone from a gentleman's debate to a wrestling match...sadly, I agree. Those who can debate are far and few between and there are far to many who just want to shout what they "heard" or "heard him imply".

Comment

• ashstralia
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
              The poor don't even have to pay taxes
              gst is a grate leveller.

Comment

• scamper
                Commando
                • May 2005

How can anyone hate dining on bush?

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by scamper
                  How can anyone hate dining on bush?
                  Well, I hate to bring up stereotypes, but you'll notice that the author of this piece is an African American (and a right wing one at that)

It's long been the stereotype that Black guys don't like dining at the Y, so to speak

I actually have some friends who will admit to it. Maybe that's Larry's deal too?
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ODShowtime
                    ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Re: My dinner with a bush-hater

Within five seconds, he called the president "an idiot." I let it go. Moments later, however, he changed it to "moron."

He said, "Well, I'm entitled to my opinion."

"That's not an opinion.
                    I agree, it's not an opinion, it's a fact. Our president is a fuckin moron. He's proven it on a weekly basis for the past 5 fuckin years. He's a piece of trash.

And any time you want to sit down with a drink I'll tell you hundreds of reason why. And reasons why people who voted for him were either misled or morons too. Which are you BBB?

I've had it with all the hand-holding and understanding for all you short bus riding bush worshippers. If I had failed in my job like he has, REPEATEDLY, I'd be out on my ass. And all you managers and business owners out there would have canned anyone with his performance. But no, not for the chief fucking executive of our country. He can't speak. He can't delegate. He can't appoint. He can't decide. He can't stragegize. He has NONE of the skills for this job. And he's lazy.
                    Last edited by ODShowtime; 10-20-2005, 12:28 PM.
                    gnaw on it

Comment

• ODShowtime
                      ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                      I agree with this article and it is a frusration I share talking to libs all the time. Those who are quick to anger, shout out slogans to me with no real facts or opinions to back them up, it is really stupid.

Now, I realize there are supposed sheep on my side too, no doubt, but the point he is trying to make is that political discourse has really gone from a gentleman's debate to a wrestling match...sadly, I agree. Those who can debate are far and few between and there are far to many who just want to shout what they "heard" or "heard him imply".
                      It's just so hard to focus any more BT. The man is so shady and has fucked up so many things. I just don't know where to start any more. I need an outline or something to go off of.

Just consider what's made so many people so angry. Why so many people fly off the handle at the mention of his name. It's because gw is a bum.
                      gnaw on it

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Re: My dinner with a bush-hater

My dinner on Brian's SPAM
                        Oct 20, 2005
                        by Larry Elder

People should know this. Even if you live in Seattle.

Link
                        Gee, I wonder what info. he left out of his statistics, like the top 2% of Americans also own like around 90% of that nation's wealth. I should fucking hope they pay over a third of the nation's taxes...They should probably pay more.

And people in the top half, which is less than $30K a year, help pay nearly 90% of the nation's taxes? Well, I guess the tax burden really does fall on the middle class then.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'll bet Larry didn't mention all the loopholes he uses to get out of paying his taxes.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Re: Re: My dinner with a bush-hater

Originally posted by ODShowtime
                            I agree, it's not an opinion, it's a fact. Our president is a fuckin moron. He's proven it on a weekly basis for the past 5 fuckin years. He's a piece of trash.

And any time you want to sit down with a drink I'll tell you hundreds of reason why. And reasons why people who voted for him were either misled or morons too. Which are you BBB?

I've had it with all the hand-holding and understanding for all you short bus riding bush worshippers. If I had failed in my job like he has, REPEATEDLY, I'd be out on my ass. And all you managers and business owners out there would have canned anyone with his performance. But no, not for the chief fucking executive of our country. He can't speak. He can't delegate. He can't appoint. He can't decide. He can't stragegize. He has NONE of the skills for this job. And he's lazy.
                            Having a rough day?

Perhaps I'll debate with you at another time.

Kind regards, BBB
                            “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• blueturk
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Big Train

I agree. Let's stick with what Bush really says! We'll start with Harriet Miers...

"I think it's important to bring somebody from outside the system, the judicial system, somebody that hasn't been on the bench and, therefore, there's not a lot of opinions for people to look at." —George W. Bush, on the nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court, Washington, D.C., October 4, 2005

Comment

Working...