PDA

View Full Version : John Carpeter's Films

Dirty Duck
10-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Since it's the season of the witch, I figured I'd bring John Carpenter Into the mix. I'm a huge fan and besides the classic HALLOWEEN, anyone else a fan of his movies? I'll leave a list if you're not that framiliar. Please respond....

1)Halloween (1978)
2)The Fog (1979)-I'm not talking about that piece of shit remake!
3)Escape From New York. (1980)
4)The Thing (Remake w/Kurt Russell) (1982)
5)Christine (1984)
6)Prince Of Darkness (1987)
7)They Live (1988)
8)In The Mouth Of Madness (1993)
9)Vampires (1999)
10)Ghosts Of Mars (2001)

Likes, dislikes....bring it on!

DrMaddVibe
10-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Meh, don't see the big attraction.

Above average at best.

The_KiD
10-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Loved Halloween, Christine, and The Thing but really don't care for the rest...

KiD

Rikk
My favorite film director of all time.

My favorite Carpenter film? The original ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13. Hollywood seems to have this lovely tendency of taking Carpenter masterpieces and turning them into average Hollywood pics, removing the creative camerawork, dialogue and music and replacing it with high action and an average script.

HALLOWEEN...an obvious classic.

THE FOG...my second-favorite.

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK...another favorite.

THE THING...maybe this is my favorite...shit...LMFAO.

CHRISTINE...excellently done...the best King adaptation ever.

THEY LIVE...another of my favorites.

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA...a great action/kung-fu film that is also funny as hell.

GHOSTS OF MARS...actually, I really enjoyed this. I thought it was under-rated.

I'm still looking for a copy of his 1978 T.V. movie SOMEONE'S WATCHING ME. It's supposed to be really awesome and scary...came right before HALLOWEEN. But it's impossible to find...never been on video or DVD.

Rikk
A great Carpenter site.

http://www.geocities.com/j_nada/carp/

DeadOrAlive
10-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Big Trouble in Little China was friggin sweet. I loved that one. But all the others I havent seen, I really should check it out.

Rikk
10-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Go out of your way, bro, and check these films out.

DeadOrAlive
10-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Haha will do, I love horrors too, even though BT wasnt really one. But the other ones sound good.

Rikk
10-25-2005, 12:39 AM
Rent HALLOWEEN. And rent the original THE FOG. Both on DVD in special editions.

And definitely check out THE THING and ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK.

Nickdfresh
10-25-2005, 01:08 AM
A very good director that has made the mistake of "whoring himself out" one to many times...

Dirty Duck
10-25-2005, 01:45 PM
RIKK...thanks for the great response brother! Yeah...I've been a fan since I was 9. Halloween was the first movie i ever saw and I've been addicted ever since. Horror movies today suck..no atmosphere..no good story telling...lame shit. The Fog is amazing..just watched it the other night...for the 1000th time! The Thing is amazing for a REMAKE...I love his music....his angles..the suspense he builds..stellar. ASSAULT ON PRECEINT 13 is amazing too..didnt metion it cause I was only listing horror. Love that film..."Hey..you gotta smoke?" Carpenter is very underatted.

Dirty Duck
10-25-2005, 01:48 PM
PS) Someone's watching me is unavailable unless you know someone who taped it. Never saw it eiether..heard it was creepy! You know what's a great creepy made for TV movie? DARK NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW with Charles Dunning. Amazing...get it on ebay if you don't have it. CREEPY AS HELL....not carpenter though...guess I'm gettin off track!

Golden AWe
10-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
Rent HALLOWEEN. And rent the original THE FOG. Both on DVD in special editions.

And definitely check out THE THING and ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK.

GRATE list...especially THE FOG and Halloween...those films are actually very scary...not too much special effects.

I must say I enjoyed VAMPIRES a lot as well, James Woods is one of my favorite actors and Baldwin does a good job on this one as well. And DAHM, Sheryl Lee is sexy on this film...

The film is not trying to be too genius or too fancy...it's just a very cool modern action western movie...ha ha ha.

Btw, the original Halloween - the scariest part of the movie is when Jamie Lee Curtis etc. are watching TV...and you can see Myers enter the house on the background, without camera being zoomed to the murderer...a genius little piece in tside the movie.

Btw, I also like EYES OF LAURA MARS.

loss of fools
10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
seen a few of his films and my fav has to be vampires, i cant stand halloween, very overated. he is a good director but not the best when it comes to horror

Dirty Duck
10-25-2005, 04:19 PM
I'm very suprised...I don't think I've ever heard anyone say " I can't stand Halloween" ..that's definately a first!

Mr Badguy
10-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Good bunch of films.

I don`t think I`ve ever seen his films listed before but it`s pretty impressive.

"The Thing"-Without a doubt one of his best, I remember seeing it when I was a kid and getting all freaked by it. The bit where the guys head turns into a crab and runs away remains a vivid memory.

"They live"-One of my favourite aliens-in-disguise-as-humans-and-running-the-world films.

"Escape from New York"-Brilliant, although the sequel sucked ass.

"Halloween"-Classic. Nuff said.

Dirty Duck
10-25-2005, 04:45 PM
THE THING was really impressive for a remake. If anyone out there has not seen this film...rent it..but it..whatever. You won't be let down. THEY LIVE really was great. Who would've thought Roddy piper would make a good action hero? He was very good for a film debut. I love that black actor too...keith david. Good actor.Escape from NY is up there as the cult classic of all cult classics. What a cool story. Call me sssnake. John Carpenter deserved this thread cause the guy knows a lot about atmosphere in horror films. If any of you own any special edition DVD's the best are the DIRECTOR COMMENTERY's with KURT RUSSELL and JOHN CARPENTER. They drink beers and talk about shooting the films..good days..bad days..funny story's. Check it out...

Jérôme Frenchise
10-25-2005, 05:25 PM
What about "STARMAN" (1984), starring Jeff Bridges playing the part of a hilarious dazed alien?
But it was released the same year as Terminator, so...
But it's really worth being seen twice IMO.:cool:

Jérôme Frenchise
10-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Here's a pic from "Starman". Sorry, couldn't find anything better as far as stills from the movie.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/images/starman4.jpg

Cathedral
10-26-2005, 04:40 AM
John Carpenter is the master of horror, and he hasn't made a film i didn't like.

When asked why i think he's the master of all horror i have to point out one fact to people.
John Carpenter is credited with making the #1 all time "Slasher" picture for Halloween.
But nobody actually got slashed on camera, there was no gore.

He earned that title with camera work, lighting, and his simple approach to musical scoring...and the actors helped a little too, lol.

Donald Pleasance...man, I love all his earlier work as well.

Rikk
10-26-2005, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral

Hell yeah.

THE GREAT ESCAPE is just the tip of the iceberg for this dude. A great actor. I even love his apperance on COLUMBO from '73.

Dirty Duck
10-26-2005, 05:34 PM
I cannot believe I forgot to mention STARMAN!!!! Thanks for the reminder!! Excellent film...touching too.

Cathedral
10-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Starman was a good film, i enjoyed the concept and seeing a Ford Mustang get blown to shit, lol.

It unfortunately didn't do that well and the sequel was scrapped.

I've always enjoyed Jeff Bridges work too, and his best performance for me was in King Kong.
The end of that movie, when the crowd over took Dwan as he was trying to get to her, and then he just stopped and watched as the crowd swallowed her up as if to say, You know, it will just never work out between us....That's an all time favorite movie scene and the story of my life.
The Fabulous Baker Boys is my least favorite, and i cannot stand his brother at all. Bo sucks as an actor, just watch Jerry McQuire.

Jeff was the one that got the talent from daddy in that family.

Anonymous
10-27-2005, 12:10 PM
'The Thing' may very well be one of the best horror movies ever made. I musta watched that movie about 23481437517 times, and I STILL get a kick out of it.

There's only one movie I watched more than 'The Thing' and that's 'Creature From the Black Lagoon'. Definitely THE BEST horror movie ever made. Any of you guys watched it/loved it?

On a side note, I misspelled 'The Thing' as 'The THONG' and it sounded like a grate title for a pr0n remake of Carpenter's movie. Discuss.

http://www.cancun-coolguide.com/images/thong-bridal.jpg

Cheers! :bottle:

jero
10-29-2005, 04:11 AM
Ow Yea, the Fog was a classic. I was about 9 then, and it took me weeks to get some sleep at night

Golden AWe
07-14-2009, 06:22 PM
*BUMP"

Just watched "Escape From New York". I didn't remember how good it is! Some small zombie-like sequences, Isaac Hayes, good music...and a good ending to the film. GOTTA LARVE IT!

hideyoursheep
07-14-2009, 06:41 PM
It's A #1!!!

Terry
07-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Carpenter had a such a great run from about 1978 to 1988. Didn't think too much of what he did post-They Live was all that great, but his best stuff (Halloween, Escape From New York, They Live, The Thing) still resonates with me when I watch it these days, and will doubtless continue to do so in the years to come...unlike, say, Michael Bay or Tony Scott, both of whom make films that gross hundreds of millions of dollars yet manage to be totally forgettable once I leave the theater.

sonrisa salvaje
07-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Carpenter had a such a great run from about 1978 to 1988. Didn't think too much of what he did post-They Live was all that great, but his best stuff (Halloween, Escape From New York, They Live, The Thing) still resonates with me when I watch it these days, and will doubtless continue to do so in the years to come...unlike, say, Michael Bay or Tony Scott, both of whom make films that gross hundreds of millions of dollars yet manage to be totally forgettable once I leave the theater.

Right on.

letsrock
07-16-2009, 08:43 AM
John Carpenter is the master of horror, and he hasn't made a film i didn't like.

When asked why i think he's the master of all horror i have to point out one fact to people.
John Carpenter is credited with making the #1 all time "Slasher" picture for Halloween.
But nobody actually got slashed on camera, there was no gore.

He earned that title with camera work, lighting, and his simple approach to musical scoring...and the actors helped a little too, lol.

Excellent movie.