• Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Wipe Israel from map, says Iran’s president

By Gareth Smyth in Tehran

October 26 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadi-Nejad, Iran’s fundamentalist president, on Wednesday declared that Israel should be “wiped off the map” and warned Arab countries against developing economic ties with Israel in response to its withdrawal from Gaza.

His remarks, delivered at a conference in Tehran entitled “A World without Zionism”, led to diplomatic protests by the UK, France and Spain, while Shimon Peres, Israel’s deputy prime minister, said Iran should be expelled from the United Nations.

In Washington, spokesmen for the Bush administration said the statement underscored US concern over Iran’s nuclear weapons programme.

Mr Ahmadi-Nejad’s comments came as Islamic Jihad, a militant Palestinian group allied to Iran, killed at least five Israelis with a bombing in the Israeli town of Hedera. Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility, saying it was avenging Israel’s killing of a West Bank commander on Monday.

US analysts noted that the president’s remarks were not a departure from hardline Iranian rhetoric and did not represent new policy.

But they said the rhetoric was aggressive and badly timed, and would serve to confirm western suspicions of Iran’s more confrontational approach that were raised by the new president’s speeches at the United Nations last month.

However, European diplomats suggested the comments would not derail efforts by France, Germany and the UK to get Iran to return to the negotiating table and halt work at its Isfahan uranium conversion facility. One diplomat said the EU3 had made a point of keeping the nuclear issue separate from Iranian support for militant Palestinian groups during two years of talks.

“As the Imam said, Israel must be wiped off the map,” Mr Ahmadi-Nejad said, citing Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the founder of Iran’s Islamic revolution.

The president told an audience of students there was “no doubt the new wave [of attacks] in Palestine will soon wipe off this disgraceful blot from the face of the Islamic world”.

“Anybody who recognises Israel will burn in the fire of the Islamic nation’s fury,” he said, in remarks aimed at Arab states.

Mr Ahmadi-Nejad, who took office in August, was departing from the moderate line of his reformist predecessor, Mohammad Khatami, who argued Iran should be no more radical about Israel than the Palestinians themselves. Reformist figures in Iran have recently warned that Mr Ahmadi-Nejad’s stern rhetoric endangers Iran’s national interest and could encourage the referral of Tehran’s nuclear programme to the UN Security Council. Iran denies its development of the nuclear fuel cycle is for military use.

• FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

That's a little extreme. But the Likud party should be wiped from the face of Israel.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Oi vay!

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
        That's a little extreme.
        A little extreme ??

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Unleash the Hebrew Hammer!
          http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
          http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Cathedral
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

I don't give a fuck who builds nukes, can't stop them anyway.
            So we should be beefing up our own arsenal and just be ready for Hell to break loose.

I think that if we put our old "Use them or lose them" thought train into action and make it clear that if one bomb is found on radar coming at us, everyone we have will be launched at their respective targets, our allies may not be so quick to dismiss the fact that so many dangerous countries want these weapons.

So, it makes sense that if we die, everybody dies...Roth On!

Jesus may be coming back sooner than anyone ever expected, i say.

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Like a thief in the night...

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Like a rainbow in the dark!

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

That too...

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                    A little extreme ??

Well, given the fact that the Likudists in Israel are probably planning to nuke Iran right now, would you agree that they are just as extreme.

That's why having a goddamned buffoon like Junior in the White House is so troubling. Jimmy Carter could straighten this shit out.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

HAHAHAHAHAHA !!

Comment

• Cathedral
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Well, think about it, why stress over shit we cannot control.
                        It isn't like we can invade every country and tell them what they can and can't do in their own soveriegn land, is it?

Though i get the impression our Commander and Chief thinks maybe we have that right...we don't, and if the cycle of intrusion continues then their will be nothing to stop the end from arriving at our own hands.

Iraq is one thing, we owed it to them to remove Saddam and i have believed that since the end of Desert Storm: The Unfinished Conflict.

Beyond that, everything isn't our business to be involved in.

And the fact that Saddam can be tried for war crimes waged with weapons the US provided without the US being tried along with him is sending ripples through the Muslim Nations, Morroco in particular.
                        I've been told that the majority of Morrocans are feeling it's an injustice.

If Saddam is sentenced to death, it may open a can of worms that are all armed with bomb vests.
                        This would be especially be true if charges from the Iran vs Iraq war were to be included, which ironically they aren't.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          Jimmy Carter could straighten this shit out.
                          Mr.Peanuts couldn't straighten out his wife's saggy tits!

Pretty amazing all the "knowledge" that dullard displays to the world now...when he had the power he was nothing!

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The fact that Saddam's trial is taking place in a puppet state Iraq proves what a joke it is. If the World Court was good enough for Milosevic (who was convicted) then why isn't it good enough for Hussein?
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Trial of his peers?

Comment

Working...