Miers Withdraws from Consideration From Supreme Court!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Miers Withdraws from Consideration From Supreme Court!!!

Good!

Now a true Conservative will be Nominated for the Bench!

Story to follow!
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Sounds like a preemptive media distraction so they can try to downplay the impending Fitzmas presents
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BigBadBrian
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Miers Withdraws Supreme Court Nomination
      Oct 27 9:11 AM US/Eastern
      Email this story

By TERENCE HUNT
      AP White House Correspondent

WASHINGTON

Harriet Miers withdrew her nomination to be a Supreme Court justice Thursday in the face of stiff opposition and mounting criticism about her qualifications.

President Bush said he reluctantly accepted her decision to withdraw, after weeks of insisting that he did not want her to step down. He blamed her withdrawal on calls in the Senate for the release of internal White House documents that the administration has insisted were protected by executive privilege.

"It is clear that senators would not be satisfied until they gained access to internal documents concerning advice provided during her tenure at the White House _ disclosures that would undermine a president's ability to receive candid counsel," Bush said. "Harriet Miers' decision demonstrates her deep respect for this essential aspect of the constitutional separation of powers _ and confirms my deep respect and admiration for her."

Miers' surprise withdrawal stunned Washington on a day when the capital was awaiting news on another front _ the possible indictment of senior White House aides in the CIA leak case.

Miers notified Bush of her decision at 8:30 p.m., according to a senior White House official who said the president will move quickly to find a new nominee.

In her letter dated Thursday, Miers said she was concerned that the confirmation process "would create a burden for the White House and our staff that is not in the best interest of the country."

She noted that members of the Senate had indicated their intention to seek documents about her service in the White House in order to judge whether to support her nomination to the Supreme Court. "I have been informed repeatedly that in lieu of records, I would be expected to testify about my service in the White House to demonstrate my experience and judicial philosophy," she wrote.

"While I believe that my lengthy career provides sufficient evidence for consideration of my nomination, I am convinced the efforts to obtain Executive Branch materials and information will continue."

Miers' nomination has been under withering criticism ever since Bush announced her selection on Oct. 3. There were widespread complaints about her lack of legal credentials, doubts about her ability and assertions of cronyism because of her longtime association with Bush.

Most recently she has been Bush's White House counsel. Bush said that with her withdrawal, she would remain as counsel. He did not indicate when he would name a successor.

"My responsibility to fill this vacancy remains," Bush said in a statement. "I will do so in a timely manner."

Before Bush chose Miers on Oct. 3, speculation focused on Miers and two other Bush loyalists: Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, Bush's longtime friend who would be the first Hispanic on the court; and corporate lawyer Larry Thompson, who was the government's highest ranking black law enforcement official as deputy attorney general during Bush's first term.

Other candidates mentioned frequently included conservative federal appeals court judges J. Michael Luttig, Priscilla Owen, Karen Williams, Alice Batchelder and Samuel Alito; Michigan Supreme Court justice Maura Corrigan; and Maureen Mahoney, a well-respected litigator before the high court.

Link
      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Regardless of political leanings by Suprem Court candidates, she was typical of Bush Administration policy: Give your cronies a high-paying & prestigious job in the Federal Government when they are not qualified to do that job.

It is so blatant.....

If the candidate had been a judge for years....it would not have been such an uphill fight.

But no....she looks at Bush when they are next to each other like he once fucked her, and she loved it, and wants more.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Ugghhh...

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Who does her makeup, Ozzy ??

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Comment

• knuckleboner
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

Re: Miers Withdraws from Consideration From Supreme Court!!!

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                Good!

Now a true Conservative will be Nominated for the Bench!

Story to follow!
                nah. bush will nominate an experienced federal judge. he/she will have conservative leanings, no doubt. but nothing like scalia/thomas.

bush will not want to have a 2nd straight nominee go down the drain.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Had NO ONE in the West Wing given a thought to perhaps the JC may want to see some documents that maybe....ahem....Bush would rather not release ??

This was the Bernie Kerik of Supreme Court Nominees.

Not very well thought out.

Guess now he'll have to nominate "the second most qualified" he knows.

And I also recall certain Cons in here claiming she would NEVER withdraw.........
                  Originally posted by Kristy
                  Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                  Originally posted by cadaverdog
                  I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Cathedral
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

I for one am very glad she withdrew/was convinced to withdraw...

But Bush gets away without having to admit he made a mistake. though she may be really awesome at her job, she just isn't Supreme Court Justice material.

Now, we have a shot at a real conservative getting the nod...unless Bush blows it again with another lame choice.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Re: Re: Miers Withdraws from Consideration From Supreme Court!!!

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                      nah. bush will nominate an experienced federal judge. he/she will have conservative leanings, no doubt. but nothing like scalia/thomas.

bush will not want to have a 2nd straight nominee go down the drain.
                      Exactly.

Or maybe he'd like a fight to deflect all of the attention from the men being indicted in his inner circle.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral

But Bush gets away without having to admit he made a mistake. .

C'mon Cath, as if THAT would ever happen anyway

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
                          But Bush gets away without having to admit he made a mistake.
                          I can't think of a single instance during his presidency where he's done this.
                          ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                          Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                            I can't think of a single instance during his presidency where he's done this.
                            During his entire life would be more accurate.

But when you're born with a silver spoon up your nose, and every job is handed to you by daddy & his friends, it means never being held accountable for anything.

Hopefully Fitzmas will change that.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD

Hopefully Fitzmas will change that.
                              Just when do the 12 Days of Fitzmas begin ??? Today?

On the first day of Fitzmas, my hero gave to me
                              A Meirs nomination withdrawal

On the second day of Fitzmas, my hero gave to me.......

Comment

Working...