PDA

View Full Version : Jump........

bryguy2524
11-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Hey Army!

First Post, hope u enjoy it.

I've posted this elsewhere, id like your take on it.

So u think Eddie and Dave hate each other?

The meaning of "JUMP":

First 58 sec:

Lyrics:
I get up, and nothin' gets me down
You got it tough, I've seen the toughest around
And I know, baby, just how you feel
You got to roll with the punches and get to what's real

Composition:
"Jump" Keyboard riff

Meaning:
Well, the riff is poppy to say the least. Very merry. The lyrics are quite meaningfully and uplifting. The most powerful line is "You got to role with the punches and get to what's real" meaning you have to withstand adversity and get to what's real. Real being the music they had produced and recorded previously, music that conveys certain feelings and emotions, something POP music doesn't have. Remember the word "REAL" for the next part>
---------------------------------------
:58-1:16

Lyrics:
Ah, can't ya see me standin' here
I got my back against the record machine
I ain't the worst that you've seen
Ah, can't ya see what I mean?
Ah, might as well jump. Jump!

Composition:
Guitar licks, subtle synth

Meaning:
This is Van Halen. Vocals and the composition align and are in total agreement. One Voice. This has feeling and emotion. It's REAL! It's Live! Oh and the lyrics:

"I got my back against the record machine" meaning they're against the wall and being pressured by the music industry to not be "REAL".

"I ain't the worst that you've seen", meaning we're one hell of a band and aren't a tool to the record machine.

"Ah, can't ya see what I mean?", meaning, "can't you see we have feeling and emotion, we're REAL, Real people that are very talented."

AND Finally

"Ah, might as well JUMP. JUMP!" meaning Fuck it, lets dive into POP, nobody really appreciates our brilliance. It isn't worth the effort anymore. The majority of people don't care about great music. They just listen because it's the supposed "In Thing 2 Do". Which is True!
1:16-2:16

Lyrics:
Might as well jump
Go ahead an' jump. Jump!
Go ahead and jump

Ow-oh! Hey, you! Who said that? Baby, how you been?
You say you don't know, you won't know until you begin
(then repeat of previous verse and composition of :58-1:16)

Composition:
"Jump" keyboard riff

Meaning:
Might as well Jump into POP. The keyboard riff says it all.

2:16-3:05

Composition:
Guitar solo, Keyboard solo

Meaning:
It starts with the guitar solo, and a great one at that. I'd call it a "Sad Farewell". The phrasing and speed of it really gives it that kind of an emotion. Same for the keyboard solo, it has "Farewell" written all over it. Perfect for the song.
3:05 - The End

Lyrics:
Might as well jump. Jump!
Go ahead and jump
Get it in, jump. Jump!
Go ahead and jump
Jump! Jump! Jump! Jump!

Composition:
Jump Keyboard riff, "chained" guitar licks

Meaning:
POP! It's amazing that this song reached #1. To the average person, Jump could easily mean suicide. Funny how you can sing it poppy and the words don't really matter. Just keep saying it, JUMP! JUMP! JUMP! JUMP!.........the Sheeple will love it!
-----------------------------

To further prove my point, watch the JUMP VIDEO! LOL, that is hysterical, I can't get enough! The song is a big joke to them. Go to Hotcodez.com if u don't already have it.

What to look for:
Facial expressions, Dave's air keyboard near the end with Eddie laughing(making fun of the riff's simplicity is my guess), and at the end when Dave looks around and says JUMP. There is probably more I'm forgetting. Great stuff, really!

--------------------------
I'll bring up one more thing, 1984. 1984 is an Orwell novel.
What does it talk about?>>>>>>>>Conformity!

Why do you think they waited 2 years to release it?

Oh man, this is obvious!

And remember, you "Can't Get this Suff No More!" - 1996

Legendary! It really is!

Dave's PA Rental
11-01-2005, 10:58 PM
The real question is...are there really 2523 other 'bryguy's here at the Army?...

...seriously, good first post. Interesting interpretation. 'Course, I think its a song about trying to impress a hottie...

bryguy2524
11-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Hilarious

faddam234
11-02-2005, 02:38 AM
In my opinion you have a great insight to the song, however, I believe that its just your opinion and speculation. I dont think dave ever wrote a song that was meant to as a metaphore as a whole. I could be wrong, just my opinion. The beuaty of music is that anyone can take what they want from it. Whether that be music or lyrics. No one has to have the same idea when it comes to what a song is about.

RuzDNailz
11-02-2005, 03:46 AM
I remember reading an article a few years ago about how some guy was going to jump to his death and the radio DJ laughed and played 'Jump'. Might as well jump? That is not the appropriate time to play such a masterpiece. Needless to say due to his insensitivity, he was canned the next day. I'm sure there is a thread floating around about this subject.

Can`t drive 55
11-02-2005, 05:51 AM
great. its one of the few songs that both david and sammy sing with the same conviction. whether its the 1984 version or the live one from live right here right now. its got to be in the top twenty van halen songs ever. when you think about it its the first step towards 5150.

Thorman
11-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by bryguy2524
Hey Army!

So u think Eddie and Dave hate each other?

The meaning of "JUMP":

First 58 sec:

Lyrics:
I get up, and nothin' gets me down
You got it tough, I've seen the toughest around
And I know, baby, just how you feel
You got to roll with the punches and get to what's real

Composition:
"Jump" Keyboard riff

Meaning:
Well, the riff is poppy to say the least. Very merry. The lyrics are quite meaningfully and uplifting. The most powerful line is "You got to role with the punches and get to what's real" meaning you have to withstand adversity and get to what's real. Real being the music they had produced and recorded previously, music that conveys certain feelings and emotions, something POP music doesn't have. Remember the word "REAL" for the next part>
:58-1:16

Lyrics:
Ah, can't ya see me standin' here
I got my back against the record machine
I ain't the worst that you've seen
Ah, can't ya see what I mean?
Ah, might as well jump. Jump!

Composition:
Guitar licks, subtle synth

Meaning:
This is Van Halen. Vocals and the composition align and are in total agreement. One Voice. This has feeling and emotion. It's REAL! It's Live! Oh and the lyrics:

"I got my back against the record machine" meaning they're against the wall and being pressured by the music industry to not be "REAL".

"I ain't the worst that you've seen", meaning we're one hell of a band and aren't a tool to the record machine.

"Ah, can't ya see what I mean?", meaning, "can't you see we have feeling and emotion, we're REAL, Real people that are very talented."

AND Finally

"Ah, might as well JUMP. JUMP!" meaning Fuck it, lets dive into POP, nobody really appreciates our brilliance. It isn't worth the effort anymore. The majority of people don't care about great music. They just listen because it's the supposed "In Thing 2 Do". Which is True!
1:16-2:16

Lyrics:
Might as well jump
Go ahead an' jump. Jump!
Go ahead and jump

Ow-oh! Hey, you! Who said that? Baby, how you been?
You say you don't know, you won't know until you begin
(then repeat of previous verse and composition of :58-1:16)

Composition:
"Jump" keyboard riff

Meaning:
Might as well Jump into POP. The keyboard riff says it all.

2:16-3:05

Composition:
Guitar solo, Keyboard solo

Meaning:
It starts with the guitar solo, and a great one at that. I'd call it a "Sad Farewell". The phrasing and speed of it really gives it that kind of an emotion. Same for the keyboard solo, it has "Farewell" written all over it. Perfect for the song.
3:05 - The End

Lyrics:
Might as well jump. Jump!
Go ahead and jump
Get it in, jump. Jump!
Go ahead and jump
Jump! Jump! Jump! Jump!

Composition:
Jump Keyboard riff, "chained" guitar licks

Meaning:
POP! It's amazing that this song reached #1. To the average person, Jump could easily mean suicide. Funny how you can sing it poppy and the words don't really matter. Just keep saying it, JUMP! JUMP! JUMP! JUMP!.........the Sheeple will love it!
-----------------------------

To further prove my point, watch the JUMP VIDEO! LOL, that is hysterical, I can't get enough! The song is a big joke to them. Go to Hotcodez.com if u don't already have it.

What to look for:
Facial expressions, Dave's air keyboard near the end with Eddie laughing(making fun of the riff's simplicity is my guess), and at the end when Dave looks around and says JUMP. There is probably more I'm forgetting. Great stuff, really!

--------------------------
I'll bring up one more thing, 1984. 1984 is an Orwell novel.
What does it talk about?>>>>>>>>Conformity!

Why do you think they waited 2 years to release it?

Oh man, this is obvious!

And remember, you "Can't Get this Suff No More!" - 1996

Legendary! It really is!

You are messed up!! Go to work, get a hobby, buy an investment property but please do not do that again..

www.topthat.net/webrock/sounds/bamm.wav..

BAM

Soul Reaper
11-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Thorman
I'am so messed up!! I need work, a hobby, an investment property but I will not do that again..

BAAAAA BAAAAA

???

larbo
11-02-2005, 06:20 PM
I come up with good shit like this when I have good weed.:D great first post. 5 stars

jhale667
11-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by larbo
I come up with good shit like this when I have good weed.:D great first post. 5 stars

Which, if nothing's changed in WV, is like what, twice a year? LOL:D

bryguy2524
11-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Thorman
You are messed up!! Go to work, get a hobby, buy an investment property but please do not do that again..

www.topthat.net/webrock/sounds/bamm.wav..

BAM

Judging from your post total, you should listen to your own advice. Take a leave of absence. I guarantee you "The Catholic School Girls" thread will be waiting for you when you get back.

larbo
11-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
Which, if nothing's changed in WV, is like what, twice a year? LOL:D

Apparently you are an idiot, Gaygel. LOL. Did you know Nasa's rockets were perfected by a man from W.Va.? The list is quite huge of genius' that has came from here and made life easier for people like you. before you put her down educate yourself about her. be thankful....jerk.

jhale667
11-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Apparently you are an idiot, Gaygel. LOL. Did you know Nasa's rockets were perfected by a man from W.Va.? The list is quite huge of genius' that has came from here and made life easier for people like you. before you put her down educate yourself about her. be thankful....jerk.

Hey Lardhole.....
No sir, YOU are the idiot. I was kidding with you. I just remember the REAL good shit was hard to get back there, 'cept for a couple of times a year. The rest of the year it was swag central...and believe me, I had great connections....What the fuck does NASA have to do with anything? Are we a little sensitive there in Nicholas county?

:rolleyes:
And, since I had the sense to GET OUT of there, I'll bag on WV anytime I damn well please, Fucko.

...And Soupy Sales is not considered a genius. Nor is Kathy Mattea. Dork.;)

larbo
11-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
Hey Lardhole.....
No sir, YOU are the idiot. I was kidding with you. I just remember the REAL good shit was hard to get back there, 'cept for a couple of times a year. The rest of the year it was swag central...and believe me, I had great connections....What the fuck does NASA have to do with anything? Are we a little sensitive there in Nicholas county?

And, since I had the sense to GET OUT of there, I'll bag on WV anytime I damn well please, Fucko.

...And Soupy Sales is not considered a genius. Nor is Kathy Mattea. Dork.;)

Great connections? from where? the west side? heh! please keep your ass in LA where obviously you belong turncoat.

rustoffa
11-02-2005, 09:13 PM
By the numbers:

1. Here I am, Mr. Happy-Go-Lucky.

2. You've had bad realtionships? So have I.

3. Don't let it get you down, keep trying.

4. It's closing time, I'm leaning on the jukebox over here by the door. Fucking Seger's "We've got tonight" aint' on it.

5. The lights are on, I'm semi-good lookin'.

6. Can't ya see what I mean?

*Chick hopefully digs the one night stand/suicide metaphor and Jumps*

(repeatedly, up & down)

Seshmeister
11-02-2005, 09:40 PM
This thread reminds me of a Beatles story.

When John Lennon found out that there was a college lecturer doing a course on their lyrics he wrote 'I am the walrus' to fuck up his mind...:)

diamondsgirl
11-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Hey Army!

I think what you wrote here is interesting and thanks for a good read. I never thought of the song quite this way.

Welcome. :)

thome
11-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Roth On!

spmusicplyr
11-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by RuzDNailz
I remember reading an article a few years ago about how some guy was going to jump to his death and the radio DJ laughed and played 'Jump'. Might as well jump? That is not the appropriate time to play such a masterpiece. Needless to say due to his insensitivity, he was canned the next day. I'm sure there is a thread floating around about this subject.

in LA, uncle joe benson said it was about a man jumping...just like you said

Seshmeister
11-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Neither did Roth I'm sure.:)

WARF
11-02-2005, 11:27 PM
I used to do the backwards Roth Jump on my trampoline when I was 8.

golden boy
11-03-2005, 12:29 AM
it means when your down, pick yourself up with confidence and move on from the past with no regrets.

Seshmeister
11-03-2005, 12:41 AM
It means 'I'm gonna spend 30 seconds writing the lyrics to EVH's new keyboard song. If I call it Jump I can maybe do some of those cool jumps I've been working on in the video'

jhale667
11-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Great connections? from where? the west side? heh! please keep your ass in LA where obviously you belong turncoat.

You and this 'West Side' shit....you're such a fag. I actually grew up in Charleston, douchbag. That's still the capital city, yes? You live in the fucking boonies. And YOUR sorry ass wouldn't last two seconds in the big city. Admit it, the closest you've ever even been to a BEACH is Summersville.....and that doesn't count.

:D

Golden AWe
11-04-2005, 07:57 AM
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=751240#post751240

Jimmy Jingles
11-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Sesh,

Thanks for changing your avatar from that nail-thru-finger thingy. That always made me cringe when I saw it.

I like the titties-in-your-face much better!

Dave's PA Rental
11-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Judging from your post total, you should listen to your own advice. Take a leave of absence. I guarantee you "The Catholic School Girls" thread will be waiting for you when you get back.

BURN!!!!

nice chops bryguy2524...me likey...

ben halen
11-04-2005, 05:33 PM
This is kinda wierd.

Me and a buddy at work were just talking about the meaning of "Jump" today.

He claimed that Roth was giving Alex shit when he says, "can't you see me standing here I got my back against the record machine."

Onstage Dave has his back to Alex and he's saying that Alex's drumming is as inventive as a "record machine."

He then defends himself against Alex's badmouthing him with,"I ain't the worst that you've seen, can't you see what I mean?"

Probably a bunch of bullshit, but it made me laugh.

jhale667
11-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Isn't it "wrecking machine"?

Weeksy Lee Roth
11-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Can`t drive 55
great. its one of the few songs that both david and sammy sing with the same conviction. whether its the 1984 version or the live one from live right here right now. its got to be in the top twenty van halen songs ever. when you think about it its the first step towards 5150.

You've got to be kidding.

Sammy singing his own interpretation "Can't you see me here i've got my ass against the record machine"

It makes me wanna vomit

How is that as good, or even on par to the original Dave wrote/sang?

And besides that 5150 is no comparison in my opinion to 1984, who starts off an album by ripping off the fucking Big Bopper of all people for fuck's sake

Go blow Sammy some more you fucking Sheep.

Who the fuck starts threads that are all pro Sammy on a David Lee Roth website anyways.

Oh and another thing, i read in a post that you think Dave would do a great version of "Up for Breakfast"

For Christ's sake that is THE worst song ever with the Van Halen name i've ever heard. Half of VH3 smokes it, lyrically that is.

Only Sammy would write a song using food as a metaphor for sex.

Matt White
11-05-2005, 01:44 PM
I thought it was aboot Ice Hockey.........

I'll be daw-gon!!!

jero
11-05-2005, 02:57 PM
David wrote the lyrics around a single phrase "Go ahead and jump". He came up with the line after watching the news and seeing a man on top of the Arco Tower threatening to commit suicide! Dave thought that there's allways at least one person in the crowd yelling "GO AHAED AND JUMP"