PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Classic Van Halen (1974-1985)

Dirty Duck
11-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Please forgive me army if this has been done before...I'm taking a chance on this one. I've been a part of the army for about 3 months and so far I never wanna leave this place!! My question is: How were you guys first introduced to CLASSIC VH? Was it a song you heard and were intrested in who it was? Was it a person who said: Hey kid... listen to this? Were you a late bloomer (We got some young recruits out there)? I'm just curious. The site is here for a reason..so obviously Classic VH and David Lee Roth touched our lives one way or another. Please respond if you want... if not I completely understand. ROCK ON ARMY!!

DABSR
11-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Hey Duck-man,

I'm sure I've bored you with this before, but I always think about it.

It was early summer of 78', June I believe, and I absorbed everything i could read on my favorite band KISS. I was 14 years old and KISS ruled the world. I was visiting family who happened to live in a housing project, nicer than the image people first envision. It was a two story development, almost set up as townhouses. Anyhow, as my cousin and I walked by a cellar well of a neighbor, his cellar door was open and he was working on something at a workbench.

ANd we stopped because he had a record on and it was in the middle of this ... barrage of notes. At first I couldn't figure out what the hell it was .... but i knew it was sick !!! It was "Eruption" and when he told us it was a guitar ... I laughed because guitars don't sound like that !!!

From that very second on, I followed Van Halen more than i chased after women after getting my first piece of some. I could not get enough. I bought the albums and the first 4 on cassette as well. I wore out 3 copies of Van Halen's debut on cassette !!!

I have to say I'm fortunate to have been there right from the very beginning and watched how they took over the planet !!!

DLRdelight!
11-04-2005, 01:12 AM
It was about three years ago, i was about fourteen waiting for my dad in the car goin threw the stations. came accross hot for teacher, and was hooked ever since. Fuck yeah classic van halen !!!!!

light 'em up!
11-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by DABSR
It was early summer of 78' ...

Hey DABSR!

That's more or less how it happened for me. I was tired of Aerosmith, Kiss and Ted Nugent. Van Halen came on like a super nova and I was totally consumed by the energy. I lived it every single day! My first VH show was in New Haven, Ct. 1979... best concert I ever saw. It's a damn shame they crashed and burned. Oh well. It was a helluva party from 78-84.

danielc
11-04-2005, 03:12 AM
My older brother had a friend who turned him on to them. One night on MTV - back when they played music videos - I saw the video for "So This Is Love?" and I thought "man these guys are awesome". I was only about 8 or 9. I also remember another night and they showed "Unchained" and my sister, who was starting to get into them too, about flipped because we'd never seen it up to that point. Then my brother and I were watching MTV on yet another occasion and "Hear About It Later" came on. I remember my brother saying something like "holy shit" because it was such an excitement and surprise to see anything new by Van Halen. So my siblings being teens and being older than me kind of turned me on to VH. They were "the shit" in those days. Even though there were other bands I loved back then VH really stuck with me as my all time fav.

Golden AWe
11-04-2005, 08:00 AM
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=751240#post751240

canadiandlrgirl
11-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Dirty Duck
Please forgive me army if this has been done before...I'm taking a chance on this one. I've been a part of the army for about 3 months and so far I never wanna leave this place!! My question is: How were you guys first introduced to CLASSIC VH? Was it a song you heard and were intrested in who it was? Was it a person who said: Hey kid... listen to this? Were you a late bloomer (We got some young recruits out there)? I'm just curious. The site is here for a reason..so obviously Classic VH and David Lee Roth touched our lives one way or another. Please respond if you want... if not I completely understand. ROCK ON ARMY!!
I got into CVH about a year ago...
When i first seen the videos for jump and Panama...I thaught Dave was amazing, i still do:p
The first song that got me interested was Jamie's Crying:)

NATEDOG001976
11-04-2005, 11:16 AM
I think it was around 1982 when I heard "Pretty Women" on the Radio. Cut me some slack, I was only 6. I would of been into them back in the day if my damm parents would of made me earlier...lol!

jhale667
11-04-2005, 11:47 AM
It was the summer of '80, I believe, I was 13, and my sister came back from college with the first two VH albums. She was like "you HAVE to hear this" and put on Eruption. At first I couldn't believe it was guitar either, but I was instantly hooked! Then she started showing me pics of them and I saw the VH-era B&W striped Frankenstein. I thought "Not only is this guy the baddest guitar player on the planet, he has the coolest guitar ever....I MUST DO THIS!!!!!" I ran out and bought my own copy of 'WACF' and that cemented it. I immediately started begging my Mom to buy me a guitar, got a permit to get a summer job to help pay for it, and I was off and running. First time I met Ed, I was like "I know you get this all the time, but thanks for changing my life." He was like "Yeah, I get that a lot...":)

knuckleboner
11-04-2005, 11:55 AM
in 1984, i was 10. don't know if i'd heard any previous van halen or not, i can't remember.

my cousin was staying with us for a few weeks as he was getting ready to go to college.

he brought his walkman. first one i'd physically seen. i listened to it, not caring what was in. it was cool just to be using a walkman.

fortunately for me, the tape in there was 1984. by the time i got through panama, i was completely hooked. i wore out his batteries rewinding before i ever even found side 2.*

(*yes, kids, in those days, we actually had different sides to albums :D)

roryrobson666
11-06-2005, 08:02 AM
I took a chance, and bought 1984.....FUCK YEAH!!!!! What a good decision that was!!!!!!

VH80-84
11-07-2005, 09:03 AM
1980 - MY friend played VH I for me. I got hooked on RWTD. I actually went out and got all 3 albums that week.