PDA

View Full Version : Congressman to propose fence for U.S.-Mexico border

Hardrock69
11-04-2005, 09:35 AM
New, 4 p.m. Plan to build fence along entire 2,000-mile stretch could cost billions of dollars. Critics say it would do little to stop illegal immigration.
By The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - A leading House Republican wants to build a fence along the entire 2,000-mile U.S.-Mexico border, a plan that could cost billions of dollars and that critics say would do little to stop illegal immigration.

Rep. Duncan Hunter of San Diego, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, planned to announce legislation Thursday to create a two-layer reinforced fence with lighting and sensors from the Pacific Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico, a 100-yard border zone to the north of the barriers, and 25 new ports of entry.

Currently, most of the westernmost 14-mile stretch of the border is lined with parallel fencing and there's secure fencing at other vulnerable points, but long stretches of the border are protected only by patchy barbed wire or nothing at all.

"Illegal aliens continue to funnel directly into many of our local communities and adversely impact our way of life by overwhelming our schools, inundating our health care system and, most concerning, threatening our safety," said Hunter, who was introducing the bill with Rep. Virgil Goode, R-Va . He said building a fence and enforcing immigration laws could reverse the trends.

A conservative group called Let Freedom Ring that is promoting a border fence estimates it would cost about $8 billion.

The plan is controversial. Republican Gov. Bill Owens of Colorado recently announced his support, but Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, has said he doesn't think a fence would stop illegal immigration.

Groups including National Council of La Raza, the largest U.S.-based Hispanic advocacy group, oppose a fence.

"It doesn't really deal with why people are migrating or why our economy is so dependent on their labor," said Cecilia Munoz, the group's vice president of policy. "The resourcefulness of people on both sides of the border is likely to be greater than a fence."

Dan Stein, president of the Federation for American Immigration Reform, planned to join Hunter at his news conference Thursday to support the idea.

"The U.S. and Mexico, if they're going to remain friends they're going to need good fences," Stein said.

Hunter's bill contains other immigration reforms including authorizing 10,000 new Border Patrol officers, empowering local police to enforce immigration laws and increasing penalties for hiring illegal immigrants.

Hunter is a leading opponent of illegal immigration who earlier this year pushed the Bush administration to commit to fortifying the westernmost 3 1/2 miles of the border, over the objections of environmentalists, the California Coastal Commission and the local Democratic congressman.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/regstate/articles/1943262.html

Big Train
11-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
New, 4 p.m.

A conservative group called Let Freedom Ring that is promoting a border fence estimates it would cost about $8 billion.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/regstate/articles/1943262.html

I may be a "Busheep" to some here, but I have always disagreed with Conservatives (and of course Dems, who are just as retarded on this issue) about immigration.

This concept and this particular groups name are the stupidest things I have heard (today).

Hardrock69
11-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Well, I guess I am beyond conservative on this issue.

I do not think Bush is doing enough to stop illegal immigrants.

But I have voiced my opinions before.

No need to repeat myself.

:D

DrMaddVibe
11-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Fence?!?

Can we set up a minefield?

How's bout opening up a free fire zone?

Does any President have to do anything about it?

Are we not men?

FORD
11-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Fence?!?

Can we set up a minefield?

How's bout opening up a free fire zone?

Does any President have to do anything about it?

Are we not men?

What are you talking about, AssVibe?

Your state's "borders" are protected by shark infested oceans and still the Cubans and Haitians get through on hand made rafts, don't they?

Warham
11-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Well, I guess I am beyond conservative on this issue.

I do not think Bush is doing enough to stop illegal immigrants.

But I have voiced my opinions before.

No need to repeat myself.

:D

I agree.

I think Bush's immigration policy sucks.

So much for me being a Busheep like you always proclaim. You can pull that back any time you like. :D

DLR'sCock
11-05-2005, 04:13 PM
I am all for anything that stops ILLEGAL INVASION into our country.

It costs the US tax payers over $70 Billion a year to pay for the illegals healthcare and schooling and other perks, while all of these companies that hire them are making more money by paying them extremely low wages that could go to US citizens. You have to love how they purposely get impregnated to have a kid here, adn then have to stay.

There is na area around here which might as well be little Mexico City, becasue you can see the growth of the populus weekly.

I am all for Legal immigrantion, but it's funny most of the legal immigrants from Asia that are coming over come from families of wealth.

Odd isn't it?

DLR'sCock
11-05-2005, 04:14 PM
You know what will end it? If the US fines the companies that hire illegals.

Then you will see change.

Nickdfresh
11-05-2005, 09:46 PM
How about putting our troops on the US-Mexican border instead of fucking IRAQ's border with SYRIA?:mad:

I was hearing some serious stuff on the news if anyone else caught it. I can't remember if it was CBS or ABC, but they were talking about residents being terrorized by Mexican drug gangs (prisoners in their own homes really), and Mexican's being terrorized and murdered by Mexican drug runners and human traffickers. It's fucking unacceptable that the worlds leading superpower, spending over $455$BILLION$+++ on defense cannot not secure it's southern border and find a way to efficiently let honest, hardworking immigrants in to do work while keeping the criminals and thugs out!

Nickdfresh
11-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
You know what will end it? If the US fines the companies that hire illegals.

Then you will see change.

Oh don't worry. The big business special interests will never allow it. They only penalize those with nothing...

Those with power seek to destroy the living wage while puffing their coffers...

Cunts!

Hardrock69
11-06-2005, 01:27 AM
Hey, theoretically the states have been fining those companies for decades.

I say "theoretically".

Done any good?

Fuck no!

Mine fields and free fire zones sound good to me.

:cool:

Nickdfresh
11-06-2005, 02:02 AM
Hey, theoretically the states have been fining those companies for decades.

I say "theoretically".

Done any good?

Fuck no!

Mine fields and free fire zones sound good to me.

:cool:

Which states? Aruba? That Caiman Islands?

Lot of good it does us for fuck sake....

Hardrock69
11-06-2005, 02:18 AM
No shit....

UGS
11-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Just hire a bunch of Mexicans to build the wall. . .then it wont cost billions anymore, maybe just a few hundred thousand

Oh, the irony . . .

Nitro Express
11-06-2005, 11:56 AM
It's sounds like Poncho Villa is back. Yup, time to send General Patton's modern day equivalent to send him back to Mexico. While the military is busy hunting down illegal criminals, we can start throwing the people who hire them into an Alaskan gulag.

Big Train
11-06-2005, 02:12 PM
I still say the "tough guy" approach is retarded, and the fence even more so.

Big Train
11-06-2005, 02:14 PM

I am all for Legal immigrantion, but it's funny most of the legal immigrants from Asia that are coming over come from families of wealth.

Odd isn't it?

Apparently, you have never seen a cargo container in long beach hauling off loads of "rich asians".

frets5150
11-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Make it ELECTRIC....:mad:

DLR'sCock
11-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
Apparently, you have never seen a cargo container in long beach hauling off loads of "rich asians".

And you apparently missed the point when I said LEGAL immigration, not illegal.

Big Train
11-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Getting pregnant and flying over isn't exactly "Legal" my friend...

DLR'sCock
11-06-2005, 03:40 PM
No, that isn't, it's bullshit too, but I wasn't addressing that, just the fact a large percentage of "legal" immigrants from Asia do come from wealthy families. Maybe you don't see it out west, but I see it here in the east...

FORD
11-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
Getting pregnant and flying over isn't exactly "Legal" my friend...

It is for the kid.

Warham
11-06-2005, 04:07 PM
If there's one thing Bush did that started to drive me off the reservation was this border policy he has. He supposedly wants to protect us from terrorist attacks, but anybody can just walk right over our borders, terrorists included.

What the fuck? That's why I supported the Minutemen, and I was initially puzzled that the federal government would be against their 'vigilante' activities, until I figured out that most of these Minutemen are probably militia who keep their sheds fully stocked with semi-automatic rifles, ammo, and enough rations to last a few years.

Hardrock69
11-06-2005, 04:22 PM
It is not a bad thing to be prepared to go to war....though some of these guys are fascist nut-jobs.

I support anyone who actually tries to prevent the flow of illegal immigrants.

I still say we must actually deport ANYONE and EVERYONE who cannot prove they are in this country legally.

You got no greencard?

No Visa?

Bye-bye!

:mad:

Big Train
11-07-2005, 01:56 AM
No, that isn't, it's bullshit too, but I wasn't addressing that, just the fact a large percentage of "legal" immigrants from Asia do come from wealthy families. Maybe you don't see it out west, but I see it here in the east...

Cock,

I am SURRONDED by the Asian community and I see it all. I would not say a large percentage of them come here rich at all. They get rich HERE. The majority of them do not come here legally. Fuck, nobody comes to LA legally. They will all tell you that proudly.