Clear All
  • PHOENIX
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Auf Der Maur Teaming With Corgan

Auf Der Maur Teaming With Corgan

November 2, 2005

Melissa Auf der Maur

After releasing her first solo album last year and touring non-stop all year, Melissa Auf der Maur is getting to work on her sophomore effort and bringing in an old friend to lend a hand. Billy Corgan will write with the Canadian bassist in Chicago. "It's really symbolic for me to have this opportunity with Billy, who is one of my main musical mentors," Auf der Maur tells Rolling Stone. "It's an amazing full circle for me, because his music is directly related to why I picked up a bass. [The Smashing Pumpkins' 1991 album] Gish inspired me to play Rock music, and then I was able to be in his band 10 years later. But in all of this time, I've never actually written a song with him. I've written half the album on my own -- but I'm looking to really be kicked in the ass and whipped into a much better songwriter."

Corgan announced earlier this year in a vague statement that he would be bringing back the Pumpkins in some form. Auf der Maur, who was a member of the final incarnation of the group, certainly supports the idea. "I don't think it ever had to end, so I'm all for it starting again. I think Billy is the Smashing Pumpkins, and that is what Billy does best, and he should do it whenever he wants to."

As for her own music, Auf der Maur also hopes to bring in another old friend: prolific songwriter Ryan Adams. "I want this record to be diverse -- the heavier will be heavier, and the lighter will be lighter," she tells Rolling Stone. "I like the idea of someone like Ryan, who is a very gifted songwriter and also open to many musical genres, not just Nineties Rock." Auf der Maur appeared on Adams' Rock N Roll album.

Auf der Maur hopes to have her second record completed by the end of 2006, but will do some touring as well. "Hopefully I'll be jumping on the touring circus wagon by the spring," she says. "I don't want to miss the summer festival season -- it's the best party around!"
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

GISH kicks ASS!!!

Comment

• WACF
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Nice.

Comment

• Golden AWe
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

YESSS...

Seriously, her first album was one of the best solo debuts ever. The songwriting was there, the singing was there, the playing was there, and, boy, does she have balls or what?

There were no weak tracks on the debut really. I'm not a big fan of Pumpkins or Corgan, but his influence must've had it's part in the strength of that album. She's learned from the best!

A hot rock chick who also sings in a tribute band to Black Sabbath?

'Nuff said.

THANKS PHOENIX!!!
        Originally posted by Cato
        Golden, why are you FAT?
        Originally posted by lesfunk
        Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
        http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

Working...