X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Wellington Mara

Wellington Mara…I suppose his passing was big in the pro circles…just as sure as I am that about 2 of you are going to post in this thread. What I can tell you is this…Mara’s impact in the game is larger than most of us realize. I was sitting in a bar last night talking to a longtime Giants fan who had a lot to say about Mara…but the gist of it was this…without Mara…football wouldn’t be in a lot of places it is today…in particular…Green Bay. We got to talking…and I of course was preaching the importance of the Rooneys…which he quickly agreed with. But he brought up a good point. In a sporting world really dominated by big markets since the inception of time…Mara was the one big market owner who preached what’s good for the all…is good for the one.

In the mid-60's...years before other leagues even thought of it...Mara...owner of the Giants...a money broker...pushed for revenue sharing to save clubs like the Packers...who didn't have the income that the Giants did...

The NFL agreed...and now...the league is powerful because of its unification...

it makes the NFL's stand against Jerry Jones 10 years ago during his dealings as a single entity with some soda manufacturers...and Nike...I think it was. The NFL rules stipulate that all team endorsement deals are dictated by the league. Yeah...it costs teams like the Cowboys and the Giants pocket change...but...it keeps most of the lower market teams not only afloat...but cash cows...

Here's to you Mara...and here's to hoping your kid follows in your footsteps...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • Mama's Fool
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

I hope Dan Snyder takes note...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

Dan Snyder is exactly why all sports suck ass...hopefully he's learned his lesson...

but I doubt it...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Giants facing illness of second co-owner

November 14, 2005

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP)
        -- The New York Giants are dealing with the terminal illness of one of their co-owners for the second time in less than a month.

Robert Tisch, 79, who purchased 50 percent of the team in 1991, has inoperable brain cancer.

On Oct. 25, Wellington Mara, who had co-owned the team since 1930, died of cancer at 89. His son John, the team's executive vice president and chief operating officer, has overseen the team's operations for the last several years.

On Saturday, the day before they faced the Minnesota Vikings at Giants Stadium, general manager Ernie Accorsi, head coach Tom Coughlin and players Tiki Barber and Michael Strahan visited Tisch at his home in Manhattan.

Sons Steve, the Giants' executive vice president; and Jonathan, the team's treasurer; addressed the players after practice the same day.

"Probably with all his assets, with all his recognition, with all his titles, the one job in his life that he most loved was co-owner of the Giants," Jonathan told the team. "My father loved the players. He loved the organization.

"Every Sunday, he was so looking forward to being in the football world. That's what brought him a lot of pleasure, and will continue to."

Tisch was the U.S. Postmaster General from 1986-88 and president and CEO of Loews Corp., a company he and his late brother, Laurence, purchased in 1959 when it was known as Loews Theaters.

He headed numerous civic and charitable organizations in New York City, including the New York Chamber of Commerce and Industry from 1990-93, and the Citizens Committee for the Democratic national conventions held in New York in 1976 and 1980. He was appointed the city's ambassador to Washington in 1980 by Mayor David Dinkins, and held the post until 1993.

Comment

• Mama's Fool
          Head Fluffer
          • Jan 2004

Tough time to be a Giants fan. Wonder what will happen with the ownership? Anyone see anything yet. I haven't but I hope what happens to the Giants is better than what happened with the Skins when Cooke died.

Comment

Working...