X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Led Zeppelin

Ever since the 2003 DVD came out, haven't bothered with this flick. Gave it a dusting off last night.

Still dig it, even though it's replete with camera shots out of synch with the soundtrack, and the performances themselves show the band kind of dragging at times. Why the fuck the Ocean was left off of the original release is a mystery to me.

Still dig TSRTS/Rain Song and No Quarter off of this. Have to admit I fast forwarded through much of Dazed and Confused and Moby Dick, though (Just don't have the endurance for either anymore, at least not off this album).
    Scramby eggs and bacon.
  • Mr Badguy
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I love "Dazed and confused".

The amount of times I`ve enjoyed that bit with the multi coloured sword has enhanced many a stone.

And the backstage action where Peter Grant abuses the promoter is hilarious, especially when he calls him a "silly cunt".
    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Nov 2004

I've always "boycotted" the film, though I've had the soundtrack for a long time. Since i haven't played it for ages, I think I'm going to do so no later than now!

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
      And the backstage action where Peter Grant abuses the promoter is hilarious, especially when he calls him a "silly cunt".
      I've read lots of tales about their (American, above all) tours... Violent roadies, Grant-the-bully, groupie orgies, the baby shark affair... Led Zeppelin and their crew crossed the States like a real army! No quarter!
      posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
      posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• roryrobson666
        Head Fluffer
        • Aug 2005

cant deal with the soundtrack though, how the west was won beats it a million times
        http://www.ironmaiden.com/downloads/tophat2.gif

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

I agree.

I saw it in 1979 at a midnight movie.

Had in on video for years.

Was blown away by How The West Was Won.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
            Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

I love Zep on record and really dislike them live. I remember the first time I saw SRTS, and thought that the whole show lacked energy. Maybe everyone was stoned out of their minds, but the crowd is dead and the band is sloppy and slow. I think that Zep worked such guitar magic in the srudio and also used some keyboards, which are not there on SRTS. It's flat. Where VH seemed to use the bass really well live to fill in during Ed's solo's, John Paul Jones seems really absent on the live Zep stuff during pages solos. And how lazy is Jimmy Page's guitar work on the live Rock n' Roll??
            Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
              Veteran
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
              Ever since the 2003 DVD came out, haven't bothered with this flick. Gave it a dusting off last night.

Still dig it, even though it's replete with camera shots out of synch with the soundtrack, and the performances themselves show the band kind of dragging at times. Why the fuck the Ocean was left off of the original release is a mystery to me.

Still dig TSRTS/Rain Song and No Quarter off of this. Have to admit I fast forwarded through much of Dazed and Confused and Moby Dick, though (Just don't have the endurance for either anymore, at least not off this album).
              Just bought it on DVD a few weeks ago...reminded me of a lot back then...

A lot has changed with regards to concert stages since 73

You'll notice that Zep only had a few feet of stage room, and you could see back stage above in the shadows....something you'd never see anytime recent.

The thing I can't believe is when the disclaimer at the end of the movie said that the events backstage were NOT from NYC MSG...

I can't believe for a second that those events backstage with the arguments with the illegal poster guy were fake and staged...
              http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
              http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
              http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                I agree.

Me too, saw it a bunch of times at the midnight movies in San Diego the year I was stationed there in '84....

Either that, or The Wall, or Heavy Metal....
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

The backstage events were actually from a different date on the tour...a few nights before. Not MSG.

I still like this movie...but I haven't watched it since the 2003 DVD came out. I want to watch it again soon. The only thing that sucks is that the Pro-Logic sound doesn't match the 5.1 Surround on the new DVD.

But DAZED AND CONFUSED is still amazing (better than the RAH version on the official disc) and WHOLE LOTTA LOVE is awesome.

A great movie...but it seriously needs an upgrade...a new DVD with remixed sound, the sync errors fixed...plus maybe more outtake footage (I'm still pissed that CELEBRATION DAY wasn't on the new DVD...the whole song was filmed and it's a good performance, listen to the live album).
                  Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                  Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• guitarboy5150
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Dec 2004

i love that little break page does with "if your going to san francisco" right before the bow solo...i just love how that sounds

Comment

• BruinJer
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                      I agree.

Yeah... how the west was won is a great fucking album. Another good Zep show is a bootleg called "Flying Circus" it was also recording in NYC.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/Chickies.jpg

Comment

• Matt White
                        • Jun 2004

I've watched that film more times than I could possibly recount....

It plays on continuous loop in my brain.......

Comment

• Rikk
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                          I've watched that film more times than I could possibly recount....
                          Same here.
                          Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                            Same here.
                            I rented it so often as a teen...
                            when my older Brother bought it for me for CHRISTMAS...my Dad was like "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! NOW IT'LL BE ON 24-7!!!"

And...it was!!!!

"IT'S THE FEELING THAT'S LEFT EVERYBODY...THE "COSMIC ENERGY".....
                            EVERYBODY GOES..."YEEEEEAH----BASH!!!"

Comment

• Rikk
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

(cut right to Page in the middle of a blistering guitar solo before SINCE I'VE BEEN LOVING YOU)

...remember the cute chick with the super thick eyeshadow in the audience for that song?

Shit, I know every detail of that movie. I love it.
                              Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...