Warning: Defending Saddam Can Be Fatal !!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Warning: Defending Saddam Can Be Fatal !!!

Another Lawyer Killed

By JOHN F. BURNS

Published: November 8, 2005

BAGHDAD, Iraq, Nov. 8 - Gunmen today ambushed two more defense lawyers involved in the prosecution of Saddam Hussein and his underlings, killing one and deepening the obstacles to plans for a resumption of the war crimes trial by an Iraqi tribunal here later this month.

It was the second such killing of a defense lawyer in less than three weeks.

Police spokesmen said the attack, in a western suburb of Baghdad, involved two lawyers representing Taha Yassin Ramadan, a former vice president under Mr. Hussein and a prominent co-defendant. The second lawyer was wounded and taken to a hospital, where he was reported to be in serious condition.

On Oct. 20, gunmen killed the lead lawyer for another defendant in the trial, the former chief judge of Mr. Hussein's revolutionary court.

The police said the ambush today appeared to have been carefully planned, with three carloads of gunmen attacking the lawyers' car as it drove through the suburb of al-Adel at lunchtime.

Attackers in one car then boldly followed the ambulance carrying the surviving lawyer to the Yarmouk hospital, the police said, perhaps looking for a second chance to kill him. The spokesman said there were no immediate suspects.

The ambush came as Iraqi court officials were preparing a fresh overture to defense lawyers in a bid to persuade them to abandon the boycott of the trial that they declared after their colleague's killing on Oct. 20.

The chief prosecutor, Jaafar al-Mousawi, said in a telephone interview today that that effort would continue. But in any case, he said, the court will reconvene on schedule on Nov. 28 and will appoint lawyers of its own to represent Mr. Hussein and his co-defendants if their own lawyers fail to appear.

But it was far from clear that the court's credibility, crucial to its acceptance in Iraq and abroad, could survive the buffeting that it seems likely to face if it proceeds with court-appointed defense lawyers.

Although the arrangement has long been part of Iraqi criminal procedures in cases where defendants have no lawyers of their own, it was routinely exploited in Mr. Hussein's years in power. Then, victims of his repression, when they were allowed any legal representation, were often given state-appointed lawyers who acted more as agents of the prosecution.

Even before the recent defense lawyer's killings, the court was struggling to gain acceptance as a legitimate forum for trying Mr. Hussein and his associates. In part, its problems have flowed from the fact that it owed its first 20 months of existence to a decree of the American occupation authority.

The political liability that entailed, especially among Hussein loyalists, was only partly lifted when Iraq's transitional parliament passed a law last month adopting the court as a fully Iraqi institution. Even that had no legal effect until hours before the Hussein trial began last month, when it was formally promulgated by publication in Iraq's official government gazette.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • Guitar Shark
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Fucking lawyers.
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Apparently they have a job opening, Matt?

Just wear some Kevlar.... maybe a helmet. You should be okay.

You probably could negotiate one hell of a fee considering the high risk.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Would it be worth it to you ??

I thought liberals weren't greedy...:confused:

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

You would think that the "insurgents" would not target lawyers defending Saddamit e& his cronies.

But then, perhaps it is agents of the new puppet government over there who are carrying out the hits.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
            Would it be worth it to you ??

I thought liberals weren't greedy...:confused:
            God has a sense of humor, Elvis. What happenned to yours?
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...