PDA

View Full Version : van halen tribute; Yngwie?!

roryrobson666
11-09-2005, 09:12 AM
heres the link to it guys,

http://www.billysheehan.com/audio/lightupthesky_hi.ram

this has, billy sheehan on bass, yngwie on guitar, doug pinnick on vocals, and vinnie colliutta on tubs, can anyone tell me what album this is from? if so i want it!!!

great version of the song!!!

i think....nearly worthy of the original.....you decide!!!

roryrobson666
11-09-2005, 09:14 AM
let me know wat you think!!!

ThrillsNSpills
11-09-2005, 09:17 AM
From this Album (http://www.classicvanhalen.com/ta1.shtml)
:)

roryrobson666
11-09-2005, 10:27 AM
wow thanks man!!!! theres some great stuff there!!!!! have to buy it!!!

larbo
11-09-2005, 06:14 PM
I've had this for a couple of years now and yes it kicks ass! I was very surprized when I heard it. but the solo is stupid! Menstral Cramp always goes off the deep end on most of his solo's.

Diamondjimi
11-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Agreed. Yngwie's solo doesn't have 1/10th the intensity as the original !
Awesome group of players on that tune !

franksters
11-09-2005, 10:03 PM
cool!

Brett
11-09-2005, 10:33 PM
You guys are just hearing that for the first time? It's like 6 years old.

BTW, that whole album is awful. It's amazing that all of those great players can take the life out of classic VH, but they managed to do it.

Hearing those generic covers really makes you appreciate the real Van Halen.

EbDawson
11-10-2005, 01:18 AM
Dweezil Zappa does a good job on guitar on Unchained. Yngie was unimpressive IMO.

jero
11-10-2005, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Brett
You guys are just hearing that for the first time? It's like 6 years old.

BTW, that whole album is awful. It's amazing that all of those great players can take the life out of classic VH, but they managed to do it.

Amazing isnt it? Nobody can sing/cover a classic Van Halen song. The only ones who come near are the Atomic Punks

bueno bob
11-10-2005, 12:00 PM
If Yngwie was unimpressive, than I get Eddie sucked dick on the original too, considering it's pretty much note for fuckin' note.

:rolleyes:

ELVIS
11-10-2005, 12:10 PM
No it's not...

I like what Yngwie does on that tune...

bueno bob
11-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Sounds like it to me...then again, maybe I need to listen to the original again...

nosuchluck
11-10-2005, 12:15 PM
i hate that cover! the vocals are awful!

Yngwie's solo is cool, though - it's not note for note:)

bueno bob
11-10-2005, 12:18 PM
OK, take your word(s) for it. Been a while since I listened to anything off of Van Halen II, anyway. I do remember that the song was VERY close to the same, though...right?

Either way, I liked it...didn't mind the vocals, either, but I'm a King's X fan to boot, so that helped.

bueno bob
11-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Thought it was the outstanding track off of a rather unremarkable album, though.

nosuchluck
11-10-2005, 12:21 PM
yeah, i'm a King's X fan too - so i was kinda disappointed by Pinnick's effort. thought he could've been a bit better.

i haven't heard the rest of the album. just got this one because of the lineup.

roryrobson666
11-10-2005, 03:27 PM
after listening to them... light up the sky is the best; i love what yngwie does!! i love the vocals aswell!! yngwies tone is always fantastic! the crunch he can get is mad! maybe its his pickups! solo is top class, the rhythm section is just average really, not what you would expect billy to be eh? oh well.... its good stuff anyway!!

Terry
11-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Unchained was good.

Running With The Devil, with Steven Pearcy and Jake E. Lee, was fuckin' terrible.

So This Is Love, with Jeff Scott Soto on vocals, sounded pretty good.

Light Up The Sky was one of the better sounding cuts off of it, but Yngwie kinda overplayed when it came solo time.

They had quite a few names playing on that album:

Drummers - Gregg Bissonette, Aynsley Dunbar, Eric Singer, Vinnie Colaiuta, etc.

Tim Bogert and Tony Franklin among others on bass.

Still prefer Everybody Wants Some. The Little Guitars tribute album was a little too slavish in how the bands tried to replicate the CVH tracks. EWS had bands that served up the songs in off-the-wall ways. Plus, it had this killer thrash metal version of Romeo Delight by a band called Sam Black Church.

rustoffa
11-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Still prefer Everybody Wants Some. The Little Guitars tribute album was a little too slavish in how the bands tried to replicate the CVH tracks. EWS had bands that served up the songs in off-the-wall ways. Plus, it had this killer thrash metal version of Romeo Delight by a band called Sam Black Church.

The Waybill/Gillis cover of 'Atomic Punk' on Little Guitars is pretty good. Ol' Fee has gone on record regarding Dave's ruling of the frontman world.

Listen to it here (http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/dangerous_goods/punk.mp3)

The EWS deal is my favorite of the two as well. The 'CTBM' cover is fucking hilarious....the chick goin' YES MA'AM!!!

Here (http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/dangerous_goods/wantsome.mp3) is the loungey cover of EWS.

DLRdelight!
11-11-2005, 01:02 AM
Dweez unchained guitar sound was awesome and malmsteen did over do the damn solo, no match against evh

EbDawson
11-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
If Yngwie was unimpressive, than I get Eddie sucked dick on the original too, considering it's pretty much note for fuckin' note.

Just because it's the same note doesn't means it sounds the same. Maybe it's the production, maybe it's the fact that I don't dig the vocals on that cover. Maybe it's because I think Eddie's solo on Light Up . . . is his best from all 6 VH albums. Whatever. It's funny too, I took that CD out about a week before this thread was started and stuck it in my truck. And I did the same thing I always do. I skipped right over track 4 to track 5. I don't dig Yngwie's cover. If you get your rocks off on it, awesome. :rolleyes:

roryrobson666
11-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Terry

So This Is Love, with Jeff Scott Soto on vocals, sounded pretty good.

ill second that!!! jeff scott soto kicks ass especially on marching out by yngwie..... very underated

Brett
11-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob

:rolleyes:

Uh no it isn't.

Anyone can play note for note, it's how you play the notes, and that's what made Ed's early stuff so special, and why Yngwie is a shredder, nothing more.

The best individual performances on the album IMO were Dweezil Zappa on "Unchained" and Jeff Scott Soto on "So This Is Love."

roryrobson666
11-11-2005, 04:39 PM
yah zappa did really well with the tone i thought, i think yngwie was just being himself!

roryrobson666
11-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
The Waybill/Gillis cover of 'Atomic Punk' on Little Guitars is pretty good.

yeah its really good!!!
giilis rocks!

bueno bob
11-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Just because it's the same note doesn't means it sounds the same. Maybe it's the production, maybe it's the fact that I don't dig the vocals on that cover. Maybe it's because I think Eddie's solo on Light Up . . . is his best from all 6 VH albums. Whatever. It's funny too, I took that CD out about a week before this thread was started and stuck it in my truck. And I did the same thing I always do. I skipped right over track 4 to track 5. I don't dig Yngwie's cover. If you get your rocks off on it, awesome. :rolleyes:

Oh, don't worry about it. It'd just been a while since I listened to it and I remembered it sounding almost the same...short of the end solo, it still does. No worries.

ELVIS
11-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Yngwie is a shredder, nothing more.

That's not just the case at all...

Someone like Paul Gilbert is a shredder...

Yngwie has so much more to offer than just shredding...

Especially on his early works...

:elvis:

vheddyrmv8
11-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Great cover, cept for the vocals, which sounded like complete shit, but yngwie really added something to the song there to me.

bueno bob
11-11-2005, 10:32 PM
You know, honestly, after hearing it, I REALLY, REALLY wanted to hear Yngwie and Eddie playing together...and about five minutes later realized that it would never happen, but still :)

Originally posted by Elvis

That's not just the case at all...

Someone like Paul Gilbert is a shredder...

I agree. I went to work last night with the first four solo albums and put them on random...guitar-wise, the first two are still to this day magnificent pieces of work and his compositional skills are just on excellent display...absolutely brilliant and utterly timeless.

ELVIS
11-11-2005, 11:19 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/herwandi/yngwie.jpg

rustoffa
11-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Anyone can play note for note, it's how you play the notes, and that's what made Ed's early stuff so special

Kinda like a fingerprint?

Yeah, it's like that.

Ed owns that shit. End of story.

roryrobson666
11-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

so true!!! far beyond the sun is easily one of his best!!!!

Brett
11-12-2005, 02:29 PM
I've seen live Yngwie 4 times, his songs all suck, excpet for "Evil Eye," which he doesn't even do anymore. He writes such bad rock songs. I love watching him play, but the dude is the worst fucking songwrite everr, that stupid medieval metal nonsense.

The guy is a great player, but I find no interest in his songs. I just like watching him play.

roryrobson666
11-12-2005, 04:52 PM
I've seen live Yngwie 4 times, his songs all suck, excpet for "Evil Eye," which he doesn't even do anymore. He writes such bad rock songs. I love watching him play, but the dude is the worst fucking songwrite everr, that stupid medieval metal nonsense.

The guy is a great player, but I find no interest in his songs. I just like watching him play.

thats so not true!!!! check out teaser from fire + ice-killer actual song, not meievel noncense with lutes, that singer on evil eye and the rising force album was turd anyway!!! awesome player though, there are many many many more songs that are fantastic, try riot in the dungeons, heaven tonight, fire, ill see the light tonight....the list goes on and on!!! theres only so much instrumental work i can take though!!!

bueno bob
11-12-2005, 09:24 PM

Well, it's not all D&D material...sure, there's some material along those lines (Dark Ages, etc), but most of his material avoids that...in fact, I'm kinda hard pressed to think of very many D&D flavored songs he's done, to tell the truth...Alchemy and War to End All Wars were kinda heavy along the D&D themes (Wield My Sword, Prophet of Doom, The Wizard, etc), but I actually think his early stuff's (the first four albums worth are where I'm thinking at) pretty varied in thematic content.

Of course, after the first four albums, songwriting started becoming more patterned with each consecutive album...and they all started resembling each other in some way.

I agree, Evil Eye is an outstanding song, and he should still be playing it, but how can you not like Far Beyond the Sun or Black Star? Those songs are the virtual essence of what shreds supposed to be about...and the "Rising Force" album itself is a virtual blueprint. I think they're excellent compositions, myself.

But, to each his own. However, there are a LOT of similar styled guitarists out there, past and present, doing the same thing that I would consider a LOT worse songwriters than he is...from the same era, Chris Impellitteri and Alex Masi leap to mind...

ELVIS
11-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Good post...