Clear All
  • DLR'sCock
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Rumsfeld Can Authorize Torture under New Directive

Rumsfeld Can Authorize Torture under New Directive
    Agency France-Presse

Wednesday 09 November 2005

Washington - US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld can authorize exceptions to a new Defense Department policy on military interrogations that bars torture and calls for "humane" treatment of detainees, a spokesman said Wednesday.

The new directive lays out broad policy governing interrogations of detainees in Defense Department custody, but leaves the definition of "humane" to a separate, yet to be released directive that is still being debated within the administration.

A little noticed loophole in the directive, which was made public Tuesday, gives the secretary of defense or his deputy authority to override the policy.

"Intelligence interrogations will be conducted in accordance with applicable law, this directive and implementing plans, policies, orders, directives, and doctrine developed by DoD components and approved by USD (I), unless otherwise authorized, in writing, by the secretary of defense or deputy secretary of defense," the directive states. "USD (I)" refers to the undersecretary of defense for intelligence.

Bryan Whitman, a Pentagon spokesman, said there was nothing unusual about the caveat because a defense secretary always has the authority to change or modify policy he has made.

"Any deviation from the policy would have to be approved," he told reporters. "The secretary can make an exception to any policy."

The language in the directive echoes a struggle between the White House and members of Congress over a proposed amendment to the defense spending bill that would ban outright "cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment of prisoners in the detention of the US government."

Vice President Dick Cheney reportedly has pressed Senator John McCain, the amendment's sponsor, to exempt the CIA from the ban.

The White House denied Tuesday it is seeking an "exemption for torture" for the CIA, despite President George W. Bush's threat to veto the legislation.

The New York Times, meanwhile, reported Tuesday that a classified report last year warned that some interrogation procedures approved by the CIA after the September 11 attacks might violate some provisions of the United Nations Convention Against Torture.

The report by CIA inspector general John Helgerson listed 10 procedures approved in early 2002 for use against terror suspects, including one known as "waterboarding" in which a detainee is made to feel as if he is drowning, the Times said.

Helgerson did not conclude that those procedures constituted torture, but found they did appear to constitute cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment under the convention, the Times said.

The debate also has been fueled by a Washington Post report that the CIA has kept top al-Qaeda captives hidden away in a network of secret prisons around the world under conditions that might be considered cruel and inhuman.

The CIA has requested that the Justice Department investigate the leak of classified information contained in the Post report, a US official said.

Republican leaders in Congress on Tuesday also called for an investigation by the House and Senate intelligence committees into who leaked the information.

But other members of Congress, including some Republicans, said any investigation should probe the prisons themselves.
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Good...

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

I wonder which music they'll play over the PA at Club Gitmo...they'll probably put on an album so sinister, the only word to come to mind is torture: Pat Boone: In a Metal Mood!

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

That's not that bad...

The album Chevy Chase made in the 70's is 100 times worse...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Yeah, 'cause RUMMY has really made some good calls.

You dick bags would suck off this incompetent douche bag that has gotten hundreds of US troops killed in his fuckups...

Now I guess he'll get a few tortured in future wars...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Like I said....

Sometimes you go to war with the Secretary of Defense you have, not the one you want
            Originally posted by Kristy
            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
              Good...

You haven't got the hang of this Christianity shit yet at all have you...?

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

He is not a Christian.

He thinks he is....

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Only God knows what's in somebody's heart.

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Here we go again with the non-christians thinking they know what being a Christian is...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Here we go again with the non-christians thinking they know what being a Christian is...
                      Comparing people's actions with their beliefs is okay.

It's no different than a Christian condemming a "radical" Muslim.

Those of us who are on the outside looking in at organized religions have gotten pretty good at spotting hypocrisy when we see it.

You can't pick and choose which Commandments you wish to follow, can you?

Peace be with you, my brother.....

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                        Only God knows what's in somebody's heart.

Lust.
                        Greed.
                        Sloth.

I'm toast any way you slice it

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Please educate me I must be fucking retarded.

I just can't see it and I would genuinely love to know how you make the jump.

Tell me how your love of Jesus and his teachings leads you to want to torture people.

Cheers!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            Please educate me I must be fucking retarded.

I just can't see it and I would genuinely love to know how you make the jump.

Tell me how your love of Jesus and his teachings leads you to want to torture people.

Cheers!

Who Would Jesus Waterboard?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Like you?

Comment

Working...