X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Roger Glover Admits Deep Purple Was DROPPED By EMI

Garry Sharpe-Young of Rockdetector.com recently conducted an interview with DEEP PURPLE bassist Roger Glover. An excerpt from the chat follows:

Rockdetector.com: "Rapture of the Deep" marks a significant career step for the band, breaking away from EMI. It's hard to believe they got so complacent with a band like DEEP PURPLE.

Roger Glover: "We've always been in and out of love with EMI, so it was long overdue for a change. As it worked out, circumstances forced our hand but it really has turned out for the best for DEEP PURPLE. It was a total mystery to me why EMI decided not to continue the relationship."

Rockdetector.com: You mean EMI let you go? I understood, from the language of the press releases, that DEEP PURPLE simply wanted to move on with some fresh impetus?

Roger Glover: "No, mate. EMI decided to end it. Why? I have no idea but it left us all scratching our heads for a while."

Rockdetector.com: That's incredible. Especially when you think of the huge revenues DEEP PURPLE must have generated for EMI over such a long career.

Roger Glover: "Well, that's right. It was especially mysterious, because these days it's accountants and lawyers that run record companies. There is very little passion for the music like the good old days. I could understand what was going on if the figures were not working out but obviously that was never an issue. So, just on that level, you have to ask yourself what on earth they were thinking. How much money has DEEP PURPLE made for EMI? You are obviously talking huge sums of money there. I think any other label would be glad to have just one of our classics in their catalogue, don't you?"

Rockdetector.com: Did this decision come out of the blue or did you sense some unrest?

Roger Glover: "Hmmm, actually, yes. EMI decided they were not going to put out the live album ('In Concert with The London Symphony Orchestra') from the Albert Hall. That was a surprise at the time. So, OK, we gave it to someone else and it actually was very, very successful. It even sold more than our last studio album for EMI. Then EMI turned around and became very accommodating again. The guy that made the decision to pass on the live album got sacked by the way. With 'Bananas', EMI were out to prove themselves once again. They made commitments and promises to market the album to our satisfaction and, I have to say, they did a great job on that one."

Rockdetector.com: "Bananas"'s succeeded in raising your profile once again certainly.

Roger Glover: "Yes it did. I think everyone was pretty happy with the result. Everyone was all smiles then EMI just decided that was that.”

Rockdetector.com: So, in essence, EMI dropped DEEP PURPLE?

Roger Glover: "I don't know if that's the correct term but it was not our decision.”

Rockdetector.com: I'm still amazed.

Roger Glover: "Yes, maybe it was a clerical error.”

Rockdetector.com: I guess you had no trouble finding a new home.

Roger Glover: "That was never a problem. Not wishing to blow my own trumpet, but this is DEEP PURPLE. You know what I mean? Edel seemed the best pick. They were really enthusiastic and could back it all up too with the network around the world that a band like us needs. To cater for DEEP PURPLE is no small undertaking and Edel can back us up all around the world. They are so hungry to impress us it's just great. I guess it's a bit of a honeymoon period but it has injected new life into everybody."

Read the entire interview at Rockdetector.com.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Why would EMI drop a band?

Maybe because they ceased to be a band about 12 lineup changes ago??

Somehow, I don't think the REAL Deep Purple (see "Machine Head" or "Made in Japan" among others) would have a problem getting signed. Especially if the back catalog came with it.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• scam failin
      Groupie
      • Nov 2004

ford..if you saw deep purple live within the last twenty years like i have three times in america and three times in england(2002) you would see they are still a very vital force to reckon with in the rock world.it is the total shit as you know for what is passed off as music in the world that will not give dp and tons of other great bands the airplay and publicity they deserve.DEEP PURPLE F**KING RULES.PERIOD.

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

I agree. EMI were fucking morons to let them go.

Sure they no longer have Ritchie or Jon, but they still DO have Ian Paice, Ian Gillan & Roger Glover....three-fifths of the band is a lot more than other bands have that are still around from the 60s or 70s...

Christ..I read recently that some replacement guitarist for the Little River Band registered the name back in the 80s, and even though he was not an original member, none of the original members can use the name now....but I digress.

I saw DP only 3 years ago...and they were fucking great!!!!

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

I saw DEEP PURPLE last year. They are one of my favorite bands. But they also wanked through the songs with Morse's awful and wanking guitar playing. I'm serious...his playing is so fucking annoying and does not fit the style of the music at all. Blackmore is sorely missed, and if they refuse to bring him back (and he's been expressing an interest in returning), then fuck them.

They don't have Lord or Blackmore anymore, and not one of the albums they made with Morse comes even close to anything they did with Blackmore (or Bolin). And sales-wise, they tanked with BANANAS because it was a super-weak album.
          Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
          Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
            Sure they no longer have Ritchie or Jon, but they still DO have Ian Paice, Ian Gillan & Roger Glover....three-fifths of the band is a lot more than other bands have that are still around from the 60s or 70s...

some other bands got 3/4 of the original members and got dropped by their record company, too...and I couldn't agree more with this decision...
            Roth Army Icon
            First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Soul Reaper
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2005

I don't even know why they accepted Morse in the first place.....even though I think he's a really good player....but why?!

If someone just kicked Blackmore up the ass and force him to tour with Deep Purple again then the world would be a happier place....
              ROTH ARMY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RothArmyVideos

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face." - Frank Zappa to Tipper Gore

Comment

• scam failin
                Groupie
                • Nov 2004

yeah i could of hoped for more of a guitarist suited to deep purple than steve morse..BUT...........they are all very happy playing together so what i think or thousands of others think, doesn't mean crap.bananas is a very weak cd.hopefully "rapture of the deep"the new cd, from what i have been hearing is back on the right track.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                  I saw DEEP PURPLE last year. They are one of my favorite bands. But they also wanked through the songs with Morse's awful and wanking guitar playing. I'm serious...his playing is so fucking annoying and does not fit the style of the music at all.
                  "Wanking guitar playing"? Ummm OK ! You're obviously aren't
                  a guitarist and that's ok. I think Morse brought back the fire to Deep Purple. Watching Blackmore post reunion is pathetic. He clearly didn't
                  give a fuck. You could tell by his onstage attitude and hear it in his playing. Christ you wanna talk about wanking!? He barely played
                  half of his rhythm parts (half assed at best). Lots of stupid non musical noodling.

Blackmore is sorely missed, and if they refuse to bring him back (and he's been expressing an interest in returning), then fuck them.
                  I'm a huge Blackmore era fan but his best days with Purple are a thing of the past. Ritchie's probably sick of wearing leotards and
                  performing in Church basements. I'd personally like to see him
                  reform Rainbow with Ronnie James Dio !
                  Now that would kick ass !!!
                  Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

Working...