PDA

View Full Version : The Final Cut

Soul Reaper
11-11-2005, 02:21 PM
I've only heard three of the songs on this album.....'The Gunner's Dream', 'The Fletcher Memorial Home' and 'The Final Cut'....I've heard that this certain Pink Floyd album is not very good.....from what I've heard so far it's very good....'The Gunner's Dream' being one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, in my opinion....

...Do you think that this album is underrated or just plain shit?!

Mr Badguy
11-11-2005, 04:35 PM
It depends what you think of the Waters dominated era of Pink Floyd.

It`s very much like "The Wall" musically.

There aren`t any dreamy instrumental sections or mellow vocal harmonies like "Dark side..." or "Wish you were here".

It`s a very bleak album with a heavy anti-war theme.

I like it a lot although it`s not an album for parties and you kind of need to be in the mood for it.

It is underrated, maybe not in the Floyd catologue but as an album that often get dismissed too easily by people who haven`t listened to it or don`t like Roger Waters.

roryrobson666
11-11-2005, 05:51 PM
yeah god album, but nothing is good following the wall is it!

Jack68
11-11-2005, 07:21 PM
I think it is a very good album.Not now john is a classic.

DrMaddVibe
11-11-2005, 10:03 PM
It's Pink Floyd.

Soul Reaper
11-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by roryrobson666
yeah god album, but nothing is good following the wall is it!

Actually, I really liked The Division Bell album...even though it doesn't match up to Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here....Coming Back to Life is a great song....

roryrobson666
11-12-2005, 01:17 PM
devision bell was very different though, i love meddle myself!!!

Soul Reaper
11-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by roryrobson666
devision bell was very different though, i love meddle myself!!!

Meddle was pretty early Pink Floyd....Echoes is a great song...

I never really liked any of the Syd Barrett stuff though...

Golden AWe
11-13-2005, 08:27 AM
I have majority of the Waters-era albums, missing two I think...I don't own this.

Soul Reaper
11-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Waters was an excellent lyricist, in my opinion, one of the best....

roryrobson666
11-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
Meddle was pretty early Pink Floyd....Echoes is a great song...

I never really liked any of the Syd Barrett stuff though...

yes, i totally agree!!! barrett was very 60's and i cannot deal with it, however, atom mother heart was more of the barrett era i think!

Soul Reaper
11-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Atom Heart Mother was after Barrett left, I think....

Reverberator
11-15-2005, 07:15 PM
I still think Animals is the pefect balance .

Golden AWe
11-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Reverberator
I still think Animals is the pefect balance .

"Have you heard the news?
The dogs are dead!
You better stay home
And do as you're told.
Get out of the road if you want to grow old."

Reverberator
11-16-2005, 09:14 AM
Best end to a song evah .

Golden AWe
11-16-2005, 09:21 AM
the fading guitar...yeah, this album is fucking perfect.

Gotta say there are times when Dark Side, Wish you were here and Atom Heart Mother sounds perfect too. AHM, maybe not all the songs, but parts of it...SUMMER '68, it's funny that Wright wrote one of their best single songs.

Diver Down NJ
11-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Final Cut is decent, but it's essentially a Waters solo work. Gilmour is sorely lacking from most of the album.

roryrobson666
11-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Diver Down NJ
Final Cut is decent, but it's essentially a Waters solo work. Gilmour is sorely lacking from most of the album.

gilmour was only lacking because waters was taking over the whole thing! he didnt get a writing credit for anything did he? he only got one on the wall for comfortably numb!

what does everyone think of ummagumma?! i think its fantastic! careful with that axe uegene is awesome!

Soul Reaper
11-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
the fading guitar...yeah, this album is fucking perfect.

Gotta say there are times when Dark Side, Wish you were here and Atom Heart Mother sounds perfect too. AHM, maybe not all the songs, but parts of it...SUMMER '68, it's funny that Wright wrote one of their best single songs.

I've yet to hear all of the Animals albums....I've heard Sheep....but I think I need to hear Dogs after what you and Rev said....

roryrobson666
11-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
I've yet to hear all of the Animals albums....I've heard Sheep....but I think I need to hear Dogs after what you and Rev said....

yeah animals rocks,,,, sheep is the best!

Soul Reaper
11-19-2005, 10:57 AM
I heard Dogs the other day....after posting that message about Animals....it's a great track....I'm going to download the whole album....

Dirty Duck
11-22-2005, 01:59 PM
I've been a fan of FLOYD since I was 18 years old. Got started on DARK SIDE OF THE MOON...then came THE WALL..then ANIMALS...then WISH U WERE HERE..OBSCURED BY CLOUDS, etc. The FINAL CUT is a great underatted song...but unfortunatly the rest of the album falls flat for some reason. I dont think the album sucks...it just doesnt really grab me. FEARLESS is a very underatted song...and It's one of my all time PINK FLOYD songs...rock on brothers!!