PDA

View Full Version : The more I think about it Classic Van Halen really saved rock from extinction.

Unchainme
11-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Just the more I think about it, When Van Halen I was released, In 1978 music was total shiite. I mean joe perry quit Aerosmith, Kiss had become a kiddies band, Punk Rock had reached its peak the year before. and rock was being led by bands like Meatloaf, Kansas, Foriegner and Styx. Disco and easy listening music were also being drilled into peoples heads. Then in typical DLR style, CVH crashes the party and brings Good old, "Fuck your girlfriend and get drunk with you while playing the best damn guitar ever" rock. Then when they became Van Hagar they became those Styx-Foriegner types of bands.
Anyway Just though I'd share what I've been thinking of CVH the last couple days.

Brett
11-11-2005, 04:25 PM
How old are you Unchainme if I may ask?

bantonelli
11-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Just the more I think about it, When Van Halen I was released, In 1978 music was total shiite. I mean joe perry quit Aerosmith, Kiss had become a kiddies band, Punk Rock had reached its peak the year before. and rock was being led by bands like Meatloaf, Kansas, Foriegner and Styx. Disco and easy listening music were also being drilled into peoples heads. Then in typical DLR style, CVH crashes the party and brings Good old, "Fuck your girlfriend and get drunk with you while playing the best damn guitar ever" rock. Then when they became Van Hagar they became those Styx-Foriegner types of bands.
Anyway Just though I'd share what I've been thinking of CVH the last couple days.

With the bands that you named, it just re-reminded me as to why I feel so passionate about CVH. With those other bands ...it's like comparing apples and oranges....those bands like Foreigner, Styx, Kansas and Meatloaf (for sure) never measured up to CVH by a long shot and I would never listen to them now or see their reunion concerts...the excitement is just not there whatsoever!

CVH....now we're talkin' down and dirty, dressed in rags... I LOVE IT..D.O.A.!

Unchainme
11-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Brett
How old are you Unchainme if I may ask?

Brett how's it going man?, I wasn't alive in 78 or 79 to answer your question. Why you don't like my thread Eh, webmaster of the Links :).

Terry
11-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme

Well, when you look at the bulk of rock music getting serious airplay, least in the US, from about 1978 to 1984, not really hard to figure out why CVH stood out.

Wasn't like they were the only band putting out good shit during those years, but they stood out among the pack. Deservedly so.

Also no big shock that after CVH disbanded, when you look at hard rock that got the most media attention from 1985 to 1989 Van Hagar included) how most of it sounds as weak now as it did back in the day.