PDA

View Full Version : Roth at the St. Pete Ribfest

Terry
11-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Just got back from the show.

Was apprehensive about seeing him there, as I wasn't sure if it'd be a downer watching him play at such an event, but not to worry kiddies, 'cuz Dave came there to perform. No half-measures far as he's concerned.

Cost $10 to get in. Roth went on at 8:30.

Setlist:

Hot For Teacher
California Girls
Just Like Paradise
Running With The Devil
Eruption/You Really Got Me (with a nice extended jam that saw Brian
and the samurai trading some Jeff Beck
licks)
Beautiful Girls
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Jamie's Crying
And The Cradle Will Rock
Just A Gigolo
Unchained (with another jam encompassing Jeff Beck's Cause We
Ended As Lovers)
Panama
Dance The Night Away
Ice Cream Man
Ain't Talking 'Bout Love

Encore: 1984
Jump

New drummer was solid, with Dave nodding his approval at him a few times during the concert. Background vocals are better with the newer bass player (can't for the life of me remember the bass player and drummers names, other than to say the band sounds a little better than when Lomenzo was in it).

Maybe a few thousand people there. Held in a park, festival seating. Got up pretty close to the stage. Dave was wearing his perma-Cheshire Cat grin (if you can go to a Roth show and fail to have a good time, you've got problems).

Stage raps kept to a minimum. Couple of the same jokes he's been telling for awhile, but funny just the same. Dave looks fit. His natural hair suits him much better...just seemed relaxed and happy to be there. Crowd totally dug it. Plenty of MILFS there...man, I was there with my old lady, but so much eye candy.

Thought it was kinda funny when 1984 was playing, and Dave said "Let me see your cell phones!" Twenty one years ago when I saw CVH, everyone was holding up lighters when they played that tune. Sign of the times.

His voice sounded pretty good. Several decent screams. Was really working the lower octaves quite a bit, but still sounded good. Grabbed a few notes and really gave 'em a prolonged belting. Maybe 3 spinning kicks when both feet left the ground, couple of roundhouses. No split from the drum riser, but whatever. He was in fine form. When Ed and/or Al continue to say he's washed up and would insult the memory of CVH were they to reunite, well, they're both just full of shit.

My wife, not the hugest Roth fan, but a fan nonetheless, really enjoyed it. She even suggested we catch him at the House Of Blues the next time he's in Orlando (you should of heard her sing along with the humulayzebulaybops on Just A Gigolo...gave the Diamond one a run for his money!)

Nickdfresh
11-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Very good review TERRY. Thanks for the play-by-play...

Matt White
11-12-2005, 01:44 AM
KICK ASS TERRY

DAVE FUCKING ROCKS

DrMaddVibe
11-12-2005, 01:47 AM
I'll see him tomorrow!

dusty825
11-12-2005, 08:40 AM
I would totaly agree with Terry, It was one of Dave's better shows, and the badn was damn good, though Terry forgot to mention Beer, Barbque, and plenty of tits flashing, I thought my 17 year old son was going to break his neck-lol

mewisemagic
11-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the great review!Did You get any Pics?

Dave's PA Rental
11-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Terry...great review! Nice job bro...did you see anyone video/audio taping?

POJO_Risin
11-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Yeah...let me know if you have any pics...and I'll get this on the front page...

POJO_Risin
11-12-2005, 10:08 AM
If anyone has any pics of this...let me know...

DavidLeeNatra
11-12-2005, 11:59 AM
great review! as ever...thanx a lot!

Douglas T.
11-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Here's some pics for ya ROTHAHOLICS! See the nice review above!! GOOD REVIEW on the GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH!!!
I believe the bass players name is TOD JENSEN long time player for DLR BAND!
FOR SARGE! DAVE ... honouring VETERANS held the band in BOW position ... at the end ... for ebout 1-2 minutes! Everyone knew what it was about and cheered!!!

HERE's SOME PICS FOR YOU! !!! !!!!DT

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/dlrml/lst?.dir=/ST.+PETERSBURG+RIBFEST+NOV_12_05&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

Douglas T.
11-12-2005, 03:33 PM
HOLY GIANT DAVE! sorry folks .. and DAVE .. for the GIANT PICTURE! Hang it on your wall!! !!!DT
...I'll figure all this out later!

Terry
11-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Saw quite a few people recording with their cell phones. There was also a maybe 12'x20' vid screen to the right of the stage. Saw one cameraman in the pits between the stage and the audience filming, and there was someone else filming somewhere around the mixing boards.

Didn't bring anything to film with, but it wouldn't have mattered if I had - was too busy keeping one eye on the show, one eye on my wife and one eye on this totally hot, 40 something siliconed milf Taylor Wayne lookalike standing next to me. She kept jumping up and down, laughing and then apologizing to me as her boobs and ass repeatedly bumped into me. At one point I finally said "Apologize!? What, are you kidding me?"

Douglas T.
11-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Terry
as her boobs and ass repeatedly bumped into me. At one point I finally said "Apologize!? What, are you kidding me?"

Always a good time at a DLR show!I am just trying to imagine how a woman bumps into you with both her TITS and her ASS? Was she like spinning around or something?! !! !!!DT

ODShowtime
11-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Damn man, the show at the St Pete Ribfest kicked ass! The band was awesome, the crowd was great, the ribs were incredible, my buzz was monumental... cougars were on the fuckin' prowl.... sheeeit.

After witnessing Gov't Mule the night before, this show had to have some serious music for me to be satisfied, and I was! I was very happy to see this treated like a normal gig and not a county fair 30 minute set. This was a full show with all the stops. The highlights for me were Runnin With the Devil (I thought I was over that tune, guess not), Unchained, Ain't Talkin' Bout Love, and the jams.

Everyone around was cool, passin shit around but not too wasted, chicks EVERYWHERE.

Dave DID have perma grin, and sang great. I didn't hear one bum note. He was all over the stage with the blue and white striped pants and the black polka-dot vest. High Energy. He was trying to bang some chick's MILF at one point, that was a treat.

So to summarize, The Man, Mr. Diamond David Lee Roth still has what it takes to rock the fuck out. And he still shares it with the rest of us.

Terry
11-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Douglas T.
Always a good time at a DLR show!I am just trying to imagine how a woman bumps into you with both her TITS and her ASS? Was she like spinning around or something?! !! !!!DT

Wasn't simultaneously

jacksmar
11-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Was a great show, cool set list, Dave is Van Halen.

Dirty Duck
11-14-2005, 06:47 PM
It's always a pleasure to hear that Dave is still a rock God after all these years. It seems that any review that comes across this site,from the fans,seems positive. I wish the cat would come to New York already to perform! Anyway,great review....thanks for the good word on Roth and the GIANT picture of him.........actually..you know what? That picture suits him just fine....he stands amongst many legendary rock GIANTS.

Richard Berdesk
11-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Just got back from the show.

Was apprehensive about seeing him there, as I wasn't sure if it'd be a downer watching him play at such an event, but not to worry kiddies, 'cuz Dave came there to perform. No half-measures far as he's concerned.

Cost $10 to get in. Roth went on at 8:30.

Setlist:

Hot For Teacher
California Girls
Just Like Paradise
Running With The Devil
Eruption/You Really Got Me (with a nice extended jam that saw Brian
and the samurai trading some Jeff Beck
licks)
Beautiful Girls
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Jamie's Crying
And The Cradle Will Rock
Just A Gigolo
Unchained (with another jam encompassing Jeff Beck's Cause We
Ended As Lovers)
Panama
Dance The Night Away
Ice Cream Man
Ain't Talking 'Bout Love

Encore: 1984
Jump

New drummer was solid, with Dave nodding his approval at him a few times during the concert. Background vocals are better with the newer bass player (can't for the life of me remember the bass player and drummers names, other than to say the band sounds a little better than when Lomenzo was in it).

Maybe a few thousand people there. Held in a park, festival seating. Got up pretty close to the stage. Dave was wearing his perma-Cheshire Cat grin (if you can go to a Roth show and fail to have a good time, you've got problems).

Stage raps kept to a minimum. Couple of the same jokes he's been telling for awhile, but funny just the same. Dave looks fit. His natural hair suits him much better...just seemed relaxed and happy to be there. Crowd totally dug it. Plenty of MILFS there...man, I was there with my old lady, but so much eye candy.

Thought it was kinda funny when 1984 was playing, and Dave said "Let me see your cell phones!" Twenty one years ago when I saw CVH, everyone was holding up lighters when they played that tune. Sign of the times.

His voice sounded pretty good. Several decent screams. Was really working the lower octaves quite a bit, but still sounded good. Grabbed a few notes and really gave 'em a prolonged belting. Maybe 3 spinning kicks when both feet left the ground, couple of roundhouses. No split from the drum riser, but whatever. He was in fine form. When Ed and/or Al continue to say he's washed up and would insult the memory of CVH were they to reunite, well, they're both just full of shit.

My wife, not the hugest Roth fan, but a fan nonetheless, really enjoyed it. She even suggested we catch him at the House Of Blues the next time he's in Orlando (you should of heard her sing along with the humulayzebulaybops on Just A Gigolo...gave the Diamond one a run for his money!)

Richard Berdesk
11-15-2005, 08:59 AM
Hey Everyone!

RibFest here in Tampa/St.Pete was truley cool.
I figured also kinda lame for our main man, but proved to be in my opinion, other than 86' ...a great great performance, which left me to believe that with the new gig in radio, could very much be the last time we see him for a very long time.

Right next to the stage, great performance and goodamn dave...thanks for cutting that hair.

Rock on!
Rick

Zif
11-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Hey Terry,

Dont suppose you were the guy with the younger hot blonde wife (looked latino maybe) at the very front, slightly off center near Brian Young? :cool:

Terry
11-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Zif
Hey Terry,

Dont suppose you were the guy with the younger hot blonde wife (looked latino maybe) at the very front, slightly off center near Brian Young? :cool:

Nah. Was about 6 'rows' back more towards stage left (slightly to the right of Brian Young if you were looking at the stage from the audience). The MILF was wearing a green shirt, had bleach blonde hair and glasses...like a very naughty librairian.

Perrott
11-15-2005, 11:57 PM
So, looks like they're not playing Goin' Crazy anymore? Fuck!