PDA

View Full Version : "Van Halen 101" Worth Buying?

Dutch
11-13-2005, 10:02 AM
I've been waiting for a comprehensive book about the making of the first six Van Halen albums for some time. From what I can tell, seems "Van Halen 101" covers every VH record and focuses more on Eddie than the band itself.

Has anyone read it? Does it have enough classic VH info within its pages to warrant a purchase?

Brett
11-13-2005, 03:43 PM
No and it's written by an illiterate. DO NOT waste your money. There is nothing in there that an average fan doesn't already know. Most of the info was taken from info on the net.

DLR7884
11-14-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Brett
No and it's written by an illiterate. DO NOT waste your money. There is nothing in there that an average fan doesn't already know. Most of the info was taken from info on the net.

:rofl:

DLR7884
I'll scratch that book off my Christmas list!

Brett
11-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Doesn't help that that the author was a nut bag. Dude was creating aliases on my site shilling for his own book. How sad is that?

classicvhnut
11-16-2005, 12:22 AM
Sadly, not worth the toilet paper I used to wipe my ass with. The author was completely illiterate, and copied 95% of the book word for word from past "Guitar World" interviews, and the rest was his own opinion...not to mention that he kept repeating himself over and over and over again!! Get the Van Halen Encyclopedia!

Cathedral
11-16-2005, 01:13 AM
I browsed through it at the book store and every part i skimmed was info i already knew, so i put it down and got the new Playboy instead. :)

Any one of us could have written that book and most likely done a better job at it.

There was a time many moons ago that i would have picked up anything VH related...Not anymore and i'm actually starting to get sick of the red white and black trademark being whored all over the place.

Sorry to say it, but Edward Van Halen is washed up.

floyd95
11-17-2005, 07:21 AM
that book is crap, totally amateur, badly written, with shit that is common knowledge even to the casual fan

VH2006
11-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Hey everyone...

Yup, illiterate nutbag here. Please allow me to apologize in advance for my poor grammar. I know how grating it must be on certain people to have to experience the agonizing pain of reading my posts. And since I'm a total nutbag, a true knuckle draggin' ape who lumbers around droolin' over all things Halen, well, be prepared if I begin rambling incoherently and suddenly burst into an all out conniption fit.

Indeed, it's Abe, author of VH101. Information travels quite fast on the misinformation highway. Yes sir. And I'd like to personally thank the member of this site, who shall remain nameless of course, who was kind enough to email me the link to this specific thread. Good lookin' out, brother. I appreciate it. And while I'd normally take the high road, well, I couldn't resist having a little fun and speaking out.
Hell, I'll make time to speak to the fans. Y'all are a trip.

Certain parties feel the need to go in public and run their mouth. I'm truly flattered you think of me so often. My name and my book appear to be tumbling outta your mouth quite a bit, so I thank you for the free advertising. I mean that sincerely, too. By now you've probably received my email. And I only wish you'd expressed your feelings about me and my project on your own site, too.

I refuse to get into this in public cuz, well, I'm not you. We both know what transpired was a major misunderstanding and stupid mistake. I'll even apologize for it now (again). Far as the rest of the world, they're entitled to believe whatever they choose. It's cool. However, next time you wanna express your thoughts, do me the favor of emailing me directly at: vanhalen101@hotmail.com , cuz buddy, I've always got time for ya.

Far as VH101 goes, well, it is what it is. A comprehensive guide to the Mighty VH. If you bought it and know everything in it, well, congratulations, for you are a true master of all things Halen.

I know the feeling. Trust me. I had that feeling when I bought the cool VH Encyclopedia years ago. I read it front to back and thought to myself, Wow, I know everything in here already! But I still loved the book and appreciated the effort. Yes indeed. I'm constantly receiving emails from VH fans who loved the book and who tell me they're passing the book along to their young son or daughter so they may learn about the band as well. To me, that's what it's all about: Having the next generation recognize and respect VH. To me, that's beyond cool. My book was written as much for future VH fans as it was for superfans like most of us on here; perhaps even more so.

I honestly feel my book is waaay different in that it was not a slew of fans pooling their VH info and then putting it down in alphabetical order. I really strived to do something diffferent. From the cover to the foreword to the discography to answering the question of who tapped first to the EVH tribute, I really worked hard and did my best. Sure, writing it in such a loose, supercasual style, with slang, was a huge risk. Some love it, some don't. Oh well, it is what it is. And hopefully my pub gets on the ball and corrects some of the occasional typos.

However, I felt I was more than fair to Classic VH. Hell, while I respect ALL eras of the band and gave 'em all their due, I have to admit Classic VH is the shit. I even said so in my book. I actually said Classic VH is the "shiznit." No doubt, it is and forever shall be.

I tried my damndest to present how important and influential the original lineup was. I covered the club days and the period from 78-84 as best I could. Those are probably my favorite parts of the book, too.

And If you've read VH101, then you know I even went as far as dedicating a chapter in my book to crushing the myth that Van Hagar sold more albums than Van Halen. The media has fed that garbage to us for years, so I was more than happy to absolutely decimate that myth and prove the band was waaay more succesful with Diamond Dave than Sam.

Plus, the tribute is not just commentary on Eddie. No, there's commentary on the band in there, too. Yes, there are kind words for Diamond Dave in that tribute as well. I've always loved and respected DD. I wouldn't trade him for a thousand Kid Rocks. Posers like Kid couldn't carry DD's jock, period.

Far as this site goes, hell, I've been visiting for years. I never became an official army member, but I've always enjoyed the commentary on here. Y'all are a bunch of ruthless, passionate, crazy motherfuckers with scathing tongues. I mean that as a compliment, too. I get what y'all are about and I enjoy it. So much so that I even included the link to this website in the "Web Links" section of my book.

In other words, y'all have my respect, even if some of you probably hate my book and wouldn't use it to wipe your ass. It's a shame too, cuz at 400 pages, that's plenty of asswipe, partner. Not to mention the fact my book was printed on 60lb acid-free paper. That's some of the highest quality paper around, so your rump would certainly enjoy the experience.

Anyway, the point is, it's all good, man. If I'm gonna get fed to the lions by anyone, I'm honored it's by the people on this site. I'm not talkin shit, either. Honestly, I never came on here to talk about my book before cuz I knew this site well and I figured, Damn, my book is about the band but it really focuses on Eddie. It has that Eddie tribute, too. So those guys at the army probably won't give a rat's ass about it. Therefore, I never came on here to talk about the book.

Y'all be cool, man. Whether you love the book or wanna tar and feather me in public, hey, it's all good. That's what makes America great. I'm truly flattered anyone would take time outta their day to discuss me and my silly 'lil book. I mean that sincerely, too.

Illiterate nutbag, signing off.

Peace, y'all...

Abel

Sarge's Little Helper
11-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Hey everyone...

Yup, illiterate nutbag here. Please allow me to apologize in advance for my poor grammar. I know how grating it must be on certain people to have to experience the agonizing pain of reading my posts. And since I'm a total nutbag, a true knuckle draggin' ape who lumbers around droolin' over all things Halen, well, be prepared if I begin rambling incoherently and suddenly burst into an all out conniption fit.

Indeed, it's Abe, author of VH101. Information travels quite fast on the misinformation highway. Yes sir. And I'd like to personally thank the member of this site, who shall remain nameless of course, who was kind enough to email me the link to this specific thread. Good lookin' out, brother. I appreciate it. And while I'd normally take the high road, well, I couldn't resist having a little fun and speaking out.

Certain parties feel the need to go in public and run their mouth. I'm truly flattered you think of me so often. My name and my book appear to be tumbling outta your mouth quite a bit, so I thank you for the free advertising. I mean that sincerely, too. By now you've probably received my email. And I only wish you'd expressed your feelings about me and my project on your own site, too.

I refuse to get into this in public cuz, well, I'm not you. We both know what transpired was a major misunderstanding and stupid mistake. I'll even apologize for it now (again). Far as the rest of the world, they're entitled to believe whatever they choose. It's cool. However, next time you wanna express your thoughts, do me the favor of emailing me directly at: vanhalen101@hotmail.com , cuz buddy, I've always got time for ya.

Far as VH101 goes, well, it is what it is. A comprehensive guide to the Mighty VH. If you bought it and know everything in it, well, congratulations, for you are a true master of all things Halen.

I know the feeling. Trust me. I had that feeling when I bought the cool VH Encyclopedia years ago. I read it front to back and thought to myself, Wow, I know everything in here already! But I still loved the book and appreciated the effort. Yes indeed. I'm constantly receiving emails from VH fans who loved the book and who tell me they're passing the book along to their young son or daughter so they may learn about the band as well. To me, that's what it's all about: Having the next generation recognize and respect VH. To me, that's beyond cool. My book was written as much for future VH fans as it was for superfans like most of us on here; perhaps even more so.

I honestly feel my book is waaay different in that it was not a slew of fans pooling their VH info and then putting it down in alphabetical order. I really strived to do something diffferent. From the cover to the foreword to the discography to answering the question of who tapped first to the EVH tribute, I really worked hard and did my best. Sure, writing it in such a loose, supercasual style, with slang, was a huge risk. Some love it, some don't. Oh well, it is what it is. And hopefully my pub gets on the ball and corrects some of the occasional typos.

However, I felt I was more than fair to Classic VH. Hell, while I respect ALL eras of the band and gave 'em all their due, I have to admit Classic VH is the shit. I even said so in my book. I actually said Classic VH is the "shiznit." No doubt, it is and forever shall be.

I tried my damndest to present how important and influential the original lineup was. I covered the club days and the period from 78-84 as best I could. Those are probably my favorite parts of the book, too.

And If you've read VH101, then you know I even went as far as dedicating a chapter in my book to crushing the myth that Van Hagar sold more albums than Van Halen. The media has fed that garbage to us for years, so I was more than happy to absolutely decimate that myth and prove the band was waaay more succesful with Diamond Dave than Sam.

Plus, the tribute is not just commentary on Eddie. No, there's commentary on the band in there, too. Yes, there are kind words for Diamond Dave in that tribute as well. I've always loved and respected DD. I wouldn't trade him for a thousand Kid Rocks. Posers like Kid couldn't carry DD's jock, period.

Far as this site goes, hell, I've been visiting for years. I never became an official army member, but I've always enjoyed the commentary on here. Y'all are a bunch of ruthless, passionate, crazy motherfuckers with scathing tongues. I mean that as a compliment, too. I get what y'all are about and I enjoy it. So much so that I even included the link to this website in the "Web Links" section of my book.

In other words, y'all have my respect, even if some of you probably hate my book and wouldn't use it to wipe your ass. It's a shame too, cuz at 400 pages, that's plenty of asswipe, partner. Not to mention the fact my book was printed on 60lb acid-free paper. That's some of the highest quality paper around, so your rump would certainly enjoy the experience.

Anyway, the point is, it's all good, man. If I'm gonna get fed to the lions by anyone, I'm honored it's by the people on this site. I'm not talkin shit, either. Honestly, I never came on here to talk about my book before cuz I knew this site well and I figured, Damn, my book is about the band but it really focuses on Eddie. It has that Eddie tribute, too. So those guys at the army probably won't give a rat's ass about it. Therefore, I never came on here to talk about the book.

Y'all be cool, man. Whether you love the book or wanna tar and feather me in public, hey, it's all good. That's what makes America great. I'm truly flatered anyone would take time outta their day to discuss me and my silly 'lil book. I mean that sincerely, too.

Peace, y'all...

Abel

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.

Fabulous Shadow
11-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by VH2006
Hey everyone...

Y'all be cool, man. Whether you love the book or wanna tar and feather me in public, hey, it's all good. That's what makes America great. I'm truly flattered anyone would take time outta their day to discuss me and my silly 'lil book. I mean that sincerely, too.

Peace, y'all...

Abel

Haven't read the book yet but I've had serveral of my CVH lovin friends tell me it was great! One could't put it down an finished it in two evenings. I've got a vopy coming in the mail. Looking forward to it and the tounge lashing coming after this post. ;) Rock on Abe!

Cathedral
11-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Hey everyone...

Peace, y'all...

Abel

Great post, gotta admire a guy who walks into the lions den on his own and is able to walk out, also on his own, lol.

Got a free copy lyin' around?
I'll read it and post a review on my site in return, Lord knows i haven't figured out what to do with the domain yet, but hey, this idea has promise and may or may not help you sell it, but business is always risky as i'm quite sure you are aware.

Anyway, Thanks for dropping by.

VH2006
11-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Anytime brothas. Shit, I've got kevlar testes, so I'm chillin'.

Oh, and Cathedral, whenever time permits please hit me up at that email I posted and you got yourself a copy of VH101. I'll blast it off to ya myself, no prob. You have my word. And I look forward to hearing your thoughts/review on it. Absolutely.

Rock on...

Abel

Fabulous Shadow
11-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks but... I'm a sista!

twonabomber
11-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
I'm a sista!

you fall asleep in the tanning booth or somethin? :D

twonabomber
11-19-2005, 12:28 AM
I even went as far as dedicating a chapter in my book to crushing the myth that Van Hagar sold more albums than Van Halen. The media has fed that garbage to us for years...

no, the Wabozos have fed that to us for years.

Cathedral
11-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Anytime brothas. Shit, I've got kevlar testes, so I'm chillin'.

Oh, and Cathedral, whenever time permits please hit me up at that email I posted and you got yourself a copy of VH101. I'll blast it off to ya myself, no prob. You have my word. And I look forward to hearing your thoughts/review on it. Absolutely.

Rock on...

Abel

You got mail... ;)

VH2006
11-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Got it Cathedral. Thanks.

And Fabulous, my sista, a thousand apologies....

Rock on y'all...

Abel

Cathedral
11-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Good Deal

Roth On!

sagebrush
11-19-2005, 01:50 AM
Well the book sounds good ,I have to have it now ! Roth on

stilleddiesangel
11-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Got this book shipped to the UK and have read cover to cover. Although I appreciate the work gone into it, I gotta say I'm not overly keen on the style, but thats just my own personal opinion. Abe, lol, the use of the word "cat" over and over made me cringe!.

Perrott
11-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Wasn't this the book that had all the comment by other guitarists/band members?

That would be worth the price of admission its self, no?

Cathedral
11-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by stilleddiesangel
Got this book shipped to the UK and have read cover to cover. Although I appreciate the work gone into it, I gotta say I'm not overly keen on the style, but thats just my own personal opinion. Abe, lol, the use of the word "cat" over and over made me cringe!.

Oh, so i'm a bringer of cringe.....sweet! lmmfao.

VH2006
11-20-2005, 04:47 PM

My deepest apologies.

It simply appears that during the writing of this book I also happened to be channeling the ghost of Sinatra.

"Nooooo York...yea!!! I love this joint!!! Yoo's are some cooky cats!!!
Good nite!!! Oh, Dean, send the broads up to room 312."

Sorry.

Abel

DeadOrAlive
11-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
Thanks but... I'm a sista!

HOLY CRAP SHE'S BACK... When did this happen??

rustoffa
11-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Save your money.

Harcourt Brace Johavonich is considering publishing a coffee table/bar top book I've put together.

'Eddie Van Halen 101 Proof'

It features very little text, the focus being on high quality, full-page photography of Eddie drunk....through the years.

I had hoped to get it out in time for the Christmas shopping season, but HBJ mired the release date with liability concerns.

Hopefully, It'll be out by St. Patricks' day.

stilleddiesangel
11-20-2005, 06:40 PM
My deepest apologies.

It simply appears that during the writing of this book I also happened to be channeling the ghost of Sinatra.

"Nooooo York...yea!!! I love this joint!!! Yoo's are some cooky cats!!!
Good nite!!! Oh, Dean, send the broads up to room 312."

Sorry.

Abel

Gotta say it how I see it Abe. Most of the info I knew, some I didn't. A lot of it is very personal commentary. Enjoyed the props and memories from other musicians but the writing style drove me nuts. But that might be cos I'm english. :D

stilleddiesangel
11-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Oh, so i'm a bringer of cringe.....sweet! lmmfao.

;)

VH2006
11-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Gotta say it how I see it Abe. Most of the info I knew, some I didn't. A lot of it is very personal commentary. Enjoyed the props and memories from other musicians but the writing style drove me nuts. But that might be cos I'm english. :D

Believe me, I more than respect your honesty and input. It's waaay better than certain parties who tell me my book is good, then run on other people's websites saying it's crap and calling me an illiterate. Nice to meet someone with the cojones to tell me their thoughts to my face. Absolutely. It's so refreshing.

Bottom line is that it's subjective, isn't it? Some love it, some don't. That simple. As I've always said, it is what it is and I humbly put it up against anything ever done on VH in book form. So thanks for scooping up a copy and passing along your thoughts. Oh, and rustoffa, that sounds like a cool book. Sign me up for a copy...hehe...

Alright y'all, it's been fun chatting with ya this weekend. I appreciate the time and the emails I've received from some of the dlr army members. Hopefully I'll come back around again in the future.

Peace...

Tiger Roth
11-21-2005, 01:27 AM
While I appreciate all the hard work that must've gone into writing this book, I'm sorry to say I didn't really enjoy it that much and at times found it rather tedious. I think more time should've been devoted to the History section and less to the FAQ - that was long winded. The Tribute section was pretty good, but I didn't know half the names that had written a tribute to Ed - perhaps a small explanation as to who they actually were would've helped.
I guess I'll never be totally satisfied until we get a tell-all book from Ed himself.

Cathedral
11-21-2005, 01:56 AM
A book from Ed will be called, "Liar Liar, pants are red white and black".

Who needs it, we saw the movie, lol.
Dave should have sued them for slander when they tried to convince people, "Dave doesn't have it any more".

He clearly does and they clearly blew smoke up everyone's ass.
Let's put it this way, Dave has it as much if not more than Edward did on the last tour.
I woulod almost have preferred Spammy singing with Dave's band, and for me to say that?

Dave or the Grave...and the back-ho is waiting.

John Holmes
11-21-2005, 04:59 AM
No and it's written by an illiterate.

You mean fartsters wrote it ?

jero
11-21-2005, 05:30 AM
Doesn't help that that the author was a nut bag. Dude was creating aliases on my site shilling for his own book. How sad is that?

That is pretty sad!!

Golden AWe
11-21-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by John Holmes
You mean fartsters wrote it ?

BOLLOCHS .

Golden AWe
11-21-2005, 10:42 AM
"John Curtis Estes (August 8, 1944 – March 13, 1988) better known as John Holmes, John C. Holmes or Johnny Wadd (after the lead character in a series of related films), was one of the most famous male porn stars of all-time, appearing in about 2,500 adult movies in the 1970s and 1980s, including one gay film and a handful of gay loops. He is best known for his large penis, his involvement in the brutal Wonderland Murders in 1981, and his death from AIDS."

DLR_EngineRoom
11-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Hey everyone...

Peace, y'all...

Abel

Damn yeah! Now that's a post! Kudos, Abe...the book sounds interesting, and you sound like a decent person - congratz on this now infamous book, I'm even more curious to see it than before...

DLR_EngineRoom

VH101
12-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Hey y'all...

Abe here, back again. I really wanted to thank all the army members who emailed me. Man, thank you so much for all your kind words and support. I'm truly sorry I never signed up and said anything about my silly 'lil book on here before. Again, I just figured that since the book contained a tribute to Eddie, well, most of you wouldn't give a rat's ass. I really appreciate all your kind words and interest. I'm grateful for anyone and everyone who checks out Van Halen 101. I hope you enjoy all the commentary about DD in there, too. One of my favorite parts of the book is in the Tribute, where former Autograph guitarist Steve Lynch recalls how they earned the coveted opening slot on the legendary 1984 tour. His memories about that tour, especially about hangin' out with DD, is one of the best contributions to the book.

Many of you how even emailed me and asked for reviews and so forth. Well, I figured the best way to go about it is to simply present pro reviews of my book here, where everyone can read 'em. So for anyone who's interested and wants to get a sense for what the book's all about, here you go. Five major reviews from five major entities.
Hell, my book received the stamp of approval from Guitar World. For that and that alone I can die a happy man. But the fact these other people seem to dig it too is truly mindblowing. Enjoy...

*Review by Martin Popoff
Hardradio.com, Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles

Abel Sanchez – Van Halen 101
(AuthorHouse)

There are many amazing things about this book, not the least of which is its weirdness, and the story of its making. First off, this book has been produced through AuthorHouse and is thus a print on demand item, meaning the author can buy as many or as few copies as he wants for resale and the price to him doesn’t change that much. It also means that there aren’t thousands of copies run at once and sitting somewhere. Your copy was made for you. Does the quality suffer? No! This feels and looks like a real book – completely, although the weight of the cover stock is a tad light. Get inside, and what you get is a superfan laying out ever fact known about Eddie, in a highly conversational style which keeps it warm and swiftly moving. This is like sitting down to six beers with Abel while he convinces you how great Eddie is. And then you do it again the next night, rinse and repeat, until you’re a 350 pound alcoholic.

Also quite unique, there are over 100 quotes/testimonies to Eddie by other rock dudes, yet Abel purposely did not use Van Halen quotes. Oh, I’m sure he would have taken an Eddie interview if he could get one, but we all know how hard that is. The book is large dimensionally, with no pictures and is almost 400 pages – everything seems to be covered, all manner of technical talk, technique talk, detailed reviews of the records, the story of Eruption, a whole lot of context vis-à-vis Eddie in the large pantheon of guitarists… Abel is like a marathon orator, and what he is professing is a highly detailed sermon on Eddie’s unparalleled stature. But he’s laid out all of the known facts on the band and then some, so the book becomes highly useful. And despite its sprawl, and somewhat chaotic sectioning, incredibly, Abel stays on message and delivers his piece – that Eddie arrives and excels in a seam in time, the lone guitar hero between Hendrix and Rhoads, with the biggest contribution to the form of all comers and goers. And by the end, you think Abel’s a pretty swell guy too, ‘cos he’s just talked to you, and gotten across so much enthusiasm in doing so, for friggin’ 400 pages. Essential for any serious Van Halen fan. And come to think of it, shockingly, there really isn’t anything else out there. And when another more conventional biography comes, other than perhaps interview footage with the band themselves, there won’t be much else Abel hasn’t covered. Email vanhalen101@hotmail.com for more info.

Rating: 7

*Review by Jude Gold, Guitar Player Mag (appears in January 2006 issue of GP, hitting newstands first week of December 2005)

Van Halen 101
By Abel Sanchez

The first thing to know about this nearly-400-page celebration of the Van Halen legacy is that not only is it specifically written for Van Halen fans, it’s written by one of the most rabid Van Halen fans the world has ever known, Abel Sanchez. Perhaps this is why, in what may be an effort to keep things as authentic as possible, Sanchez eschews the conventions of formal prose and writes in the casual voice of a Van Halen fanatic posting in an online chatroom. (“Complaining that Edward Van Halen’s solo spot is ‘excessive’ would be like complaining that your girlfriend ‘gives you too much h**d’” is one example that comes to mind.) It’s also worth noting that if the redundant sentences and unnecessary exclamation points in this text were left out, Van Halen 101 would be significantly skinnier.

That being said, with Sanchez’s devotion to the greatest rock band that Pasadena, California, has ever produced pouring zealously off every page, this inspired text—despite its Casual Fridays approach to biography—quickly won me over. Sure, you can find most of the quotes from EVH and other key members of the Van Halen camp herein in old interviews with GP and other magazines, but when it comes to the Van Halen brothers’ evolution from two Dutch immigrant schoolboys learning classical music into pillars of late-20th-Century arena rock, Van Halen 101 conveniently puts the whole story—every last known detail—under one roof. If you’re a veteran Van Halen fan, the book’s “Tribute” section (in which Sanchez delivers dozens of fresh interviews with a startlingly wide cross-section of guitarists including Phil Keaggy, B.B. King, Kerry King, Albert Lee, Sharon Isbin, James Hetfield, Allan Holdsworth, and others) will be worth the price of admission. And if you’re a newbie Van Halen devotee, then, as the term “101” in the title suggests, you can’t go wrong with this killer crash course on the band. Authorhouse. —Jude Gold

*Review by Greg Prato, Classic Rock Magazine (appears in their December 14th, 2005 issue)

VAN HALEN 101
Abel Sanchez
Authorhouse

There have already been several extensive Van Halen books published, but Van Halen 101 is the first to focus extensively on other rockers’ reflections of Eddie and co. However, a bio section proves Sanchez is not your typical author, as evidenced by non-stop! exclamation! point! usage!, and such observations as ‘Gary Cherone could sing his dick off.’ But only an uber fan like Sanchez would have the dedication to compile countless VH memories’ from a wide range of rockers. Who knew Kurt Cobain was an admirer? Or that Eddie once performed a Led Zeppelin tribute’ for Zakk Wylde? Or that Randy Rhoads had to teach his students Eddie licks? No groupie groping revelations here, but the exhaustive artist tributes make Van Halen 101 stand out from the pack.
Rating: 7 out of 10
Greg Prato

*Review by Ken Sharp, Friday Morning Quarterback

Van Halen 101
By Abel Sanchez

Through various lineup changes and musical trends, and over 75 million in sales, the mighty Van Halen remain one of America's most inventive, exciting and revered rock powerhouses. A new book, Van Halen 101, provides an all-encompassing look at Pasadena, California's hard rock champions. Written by Abel Sanchez, the book, featuring a foreword by Queen guitarist Brian May, offers everything you wanted to know about VH and much much more. Tallying over 400 pages, the book chronicles the group's heady early days playing backyard parties in Pasadena and their long stint headlining Gazzari's on Hollywood's famed Sunset Strip to their sensational self-titled debut to the group's most recent 2004 tour. Archival interviews with the band, producers, engineers, road crew and industry insiders help shape their compelling story.

Along with an extensive overview of the group's four-decade career, the book also includes a slew of noted six-string luminaries attesting to the groundbreaking guitar work of Edward Van Halen, among them, Joe Walsh, B.B. King, Robby Krieger, Dave Navarro, Ted Nugent, Steve Vai, Steve Howe, James Hetfield, Joe Satriani, the late "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, Steve Cropper, Allan Holdsworth, Zakk Wylde, Steve Lukather, John McLaughlin and more. Making this book even more indispensable for Van Halen's legion of worldwide supporters is the inclusion of a comprehensive look behind the recording of each Van Halen album, an in-depth peek behind the VH sound with special emphasis on Eddie's revolutionary playing including a look at the creation of "Eruption," his jaw-dropping display of six-string virtuosity, his extraordinary tapping technique, and his arsenal of guitars and gear. All told, Van Halen 101 is a terrific encapsulation of Van Halen's storied musical career, their vast impact on the music scene and their unassailable legacy as purveyors of heavy metal genius. For ordering info, access www.vanhalen101book.com

*Review by Lucas Aykroyd, The Georgia Straight

Van Halen 101
By lucas aykroyd

Publish Date: 13-Oct-2005

By Abel Sanchez. AuthorHouse, 398 pp, US$19.95, softcover.

Once, Van Halen was widely considered America’s greatest hard-rock band. From 1978 to 1984, the classic lineup of guitarist Eddie Van Halen, singer David Lee Roth, bassist Michael Anthony, and drummer Alex Van Halen released six albums that sold a combined 34 million copies, and embarked on numerous sold-out arena tours. Videos like “Jump,” “Panama,” and “Hot for Teacher” dominated MTV.

The quartet had an incendiary mix of talent, charisma, and energy that made them as iconic as the original Star Wars cast or the young, Gretzky-era Edmonton Oilers. Of course, many members of the alternative nation despised Van Halen’s ubiquity in the ’80s, and couldn’t wait to be rid of Roth’s flying leaps off the drum riser and Eddie’s virtuosic riffs. But the point is, Van Halen always got a reaction.

When veteran screamer Sammy Hagar replaced Roth in 1986, it ignited the “Dave or Sammy?” argument that classic-rock buffs still dredge up. The Hagar era was commercially successful, if less critically acclaimed, and Van Halen appeared to be settling into a Rolling Stones pattern where fans would flock to see them live regardless of how a new album fared. The near-universal opprobrium that greeted the band’s third singer, Gary Cherone, showed people still cared circa 1996.

Lately, however, the once-mighty VH has faded in the public consciousness, which makes it an interesting moment for Abel Sanchez, a long-time supporter, to release his new book, Van Halen 101. Cynics might suggest VH fans are not titans of literacy. Roth alleged in his 1997 autobiography, Crazy From the Heat: “[Eddie] doesn’t read. It’s a muscle he doesn’t use.” But is this really a matter of fans mimicking their hero? That’s hard to say. Journalist Steven Rosen attempted to collaborate with Eddie on a definitive biography back in 1985, but the six-string master, ever reclusive, kiboshed the project.

Van Halen 101 doesn’t aim to fill the biography void, although its first 100-odd pages offer a solid overview of the band’s history. Sanchez establishes a colloquial voice early on. This is a book about dudes by a dude, written for other dudes.

Making that crystal clear are passages like “Alex was really kickin’ ass, even making All City Orchestra on violin” and “Edward was actually on the number 1 and number 2 albums in the country at the same time. Pretty damn cool, dude!”

The second half of Van Halen 101 is what really makes it worthwhile. Sanchez interviewed more than 100 musicians who influenced or were influenced by the guitarist’s fretwork. Whether it’s Steve Hackett and Harvey Mandel describing early two-handed tapping experiments that Eddie would transform into a signature sound, or Quiet Riot’s Kevin DuBrow discussing the respect the late Randy Rhoads had for Van Halen’s bluesy roots, the text is fresh and compelling.

Even in its darker passages, Van Halen 101 evokes the spirit of a band that’s brought a lot of joy to its listeners. Currently, VH is on hiatus after last year’s greatest-hits tour with Hagar, while Eddie battles his personal demons. (The latest blow, after surviving tongue cancer and hip-replacement surgery plus his divorce from Valerie Bertinelli, was the death of his mother.) Just as Wayne Gretzky’s accomplishments as a hockey player can’t be diminished by his struggles as a coach, Van Halen’s place in rock history is secure. It’s just a shame the group isn’t doing more to maximize its legacy nowadays.

*Review by Murat Batmaz, Seaoftranquility.org

Van Halen 101 by Abel Sanchez

Man reading just the first couple of pages is enough to make you excited and bring back all those Van Halen memories. It's a new book with a foreword by Brian May of Queen and a great study in the Van Halen brothers' life, mostly focusing on Eddie Van Halen. It starts right from his childhood back in the Netherlands and clearly summarises his entire musical career, with great references from some of the most amazing guitar gods ever, including David Gilmour, John McLaughlin, Frank Zappa, Marty Friedman, Tony Iommi, Zakk Wylde, Pat Metheny, Jason Becker, and so many others. I was personally once again shocked when I read how Eddie basically revolutionized rock guitar, and is considered, even by the likes of Clapton, Gilmour, and Al Di Meola, the most influential and greatest guitar player after Jimi Hendrix. This book is an incredible read. Very, very highly recommended. www.authorhouse.com is where you can obtain your copy

Thanks again. And I truly hope this helps. Peace...

Cato
12-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Hummm.....

Nickdfresh
12-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by VH101
Hey y'all..

Abe here, back again. I really wanted to thank all the army members who...

So in other words, everything BRETT said about you is true --you're just a book hawking tool.

If I want to read about VH and ROTH, I can just search this a several other websites for VH related articles and content (you know, the very ones you may or may not have used without proper attribution?) without need of a long-winded bore who has alterer economic motives with every post, you know?

A lot of people have posted vintage articles and interviews about DAVE and CVH here for free, and there are more at www.Diamonddavidleeroth.com and even at the LINKS or the VH Vault or www.classicvanhalen.com Nice job at internet research though...

BOOK REVIEW - Martin Popoff - RAINBOW - ENGLISH CASTLE MAGIC (Metal Blade)

Martin Popoff
RAINBOW – ENGLISH CASTLE MAGIC
Metal Blade

The newest book from rock scribe Martin Popoff couldn’t have come along at a better time. Having recently finished the Abel Sanchez book Van Halen 101 I was in need of not only something new to read, but something that would remove the awful memories of reading Van Halen 101. Having been fascinated with in depth books from Popoff on RUSH and U.F.O. a look at eclectic guitarist Ritchie Blackmore and his second most famous band was just what the doctor ordered.
http://pitriff.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=478

Nickdfresh
12-02-2005, 09:00 AM
The review from above, since we're posting biased, and uncritical advertising:

BOOK REVIEW (by Shawn GOULD)- Abel Sanchez - VAN HALEN 101 (Authorhouse)

Abel Sanchez
VAN HALEN 101
Authorhouse

VAN HALEN is one of the more mythical bands in rock history. Every member past and present (excluding Gary Cherone) is legendary in their own way. A band possessed of amazing chops, cocky swagger, an uncanny sense of humor, a string of hit albums and some of the most recognized rock anthems this side of AC/DC. Maybe more than anything else you can say about the band is that it is the home of guitar player extraordinaire Eddie Van Halen, the man most recognize as one of the most influential axemen ever. In fact it has been said many a time that he is only the second player to ever completely change the way people look at a guitar, the first being Jimi Hendrix of course.

All of that probably sounds like unabashed hero worship, and you would be correct. How that makes you feel will go a long way in determining whether or not you are going to enjoy Abel Sanchez’s writing. In essence VAN HALEN 101 is roughly 400 pages of unadulterated hero worship. So if you are a person that is into VH, and I mean really into them you will most likely enjoy this book and on that basis I would recommend it. Now let’s just say for kicks that you consider yourself a fan of VH and rock ‘n roll in general and think that an unbiased in depth look at a band that has been in the business for 30 years would be interesting. If that describes you, than that recommendation that I gave earlier just got revoked.

You see I have been spoiled over the last couple of years by the writing of Martin Popoff. Having digested a half dozen of his books I have become accustomed to in depth research, countless interviews with band members both past and present as well as thought provoking reviews of all related albums and tours. I felt cheated in the fact that I got none of these things in VAN HALEN 101. Sanchez’s writing style leaves a lot to be desired, in fact there were times where I felt annoyed enough by it that I had to put the book down and walk away. In some ways reading this felt like being cornered by a crazed Oakland Raider fan in a bar who just didn’t know when to shut up and proceeded to yap in your ear for about 6 hours on all things Raider. Unless you yourself were also a rabid Raider fan you would hate them by the time you were paroled from the conversation. This would sum up my feelings about VH after laboring through this book. I have long considered the band to be intriguing, with just the right amount of band turmoil to balance with astounding quality of their music. Place them somewhere between contemporaries like RUSH and UFO on the VH1 Behind the Music drama scale. (not coincidentally these are two bands that Popoff recently wrote about)

Yes the book brings up some little known facts, like the fact that David Lee Roth had previously auditioned and been rejected by the band a couple of years before the classic line up was set. Yes he makes a couple of good points, especially when covering the subject of Eddie being ranked 70th in a recent poll by Rolling Stone dedicated to the 100 greatest rock guitarists of all time. (Zakk Wylde’s reaction to this slight is classic) More often than not though his style is to take a stance on something and then proceed to bludgeon you to death with his opinion on the matter, often stating the obvious ad infinitum. (the constant comparisons with Hendrix get particularly tedious) I for one don’t care to read once, let alone a dozen times, that someone can “play his dick off”. At times it seems like anyone who likes VAN HALEN, has access to the internet and a subscription to Guitar World magazine could have written this. There are no actual interviews with the band members, past or present. In fact it’s never clear if Abel has even met the band. So in essence he is just a huge fan who has had the will and drives to put his feelings for them in writing. For that he should be commended, but I wish it had been advertised as such. Naming a book VAN HALEN 101, makes you think that you are going to shown the inner circle of the band, insight into not only their public persona but their personal lives as well. That is never the case sadly. He does get quotes from 100 different artists about Eddie Van Halen. Some are well thought out and touching, others are so generic that they could have applied to anyone. At times I began wondering if Eddie has died and I missed it, this often feels like a eulogy.

PITRIFF RATING – 4/10 - I have often dreamed of writing my own book, but that dream is usually crushed upon reading something by an actual author and the realization that I have neither the skills nor the dedication. VAN HALEN 101 had no such effect on me, if anything it tells me that just about anything can get published one way or another. In the end this would have been more aptly titled “Hi, My Name Is Abel Sanchez and I Am a Van Halen-a-holic”. Then in unison we all could have responded with the appropriate “Hi Abel”.

Added:_ Saturday, October 08, 2005
Reviewer: _Shawn Gould
Score:

http://pitriff.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=472

Nickdfresh
12-02-2005, 09:36 AM
"Yes the book brings up some little known facts, like the fact that David Lee Roth had previously auditioned and been rejected by the band a couple of years before the classic line up was set." --Shawn Gould review of "VH101"

Actually, I recall ED reciting this horseshit in an interview (in the late 80's I think). This is nothing new, this book seems like a piece of shit and a waste of $19.95.

Cathedral
12-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Damn, Nick, if you don't wanna buy it then don't buy it, lol.
Everytime you bump this thread it's like airing a commercial ya know?

VH101
12-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Nah Cathedral, its cool. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I LOVE how some people interpret things. It's funny. You know, I was at that certain other site for a good while. So I figured, hey, I'll bring the book to the people. No doubt, doing all of this independantly, I had to. So I go on there and post up about my silly book and I immediately receive an avalanche of email from VH fans all over. Tons of questions. So I chilled at that certain other site to answer questions and keep everyone posted on the development of the book. Of course, in the process, some people seem to believe this makes me Gene Simmons. It's cool man. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Yes, even Shawn Gould. He's not Guitar World, Guitar Player, Classic Rock or Popoff, but I respect any and all reviews. In fact I've already read his review. Weeks ago. Hell, after reading it I even wrote him and we exchanged quiet a few emails. Apparently he simply didn't like the book cuz for whatever reason he thought VH101 included interviews with the band or something. Guess he never saw the press release. He seemed to believe the book was gonna be more of a behind-the-scenes kinda thing. So because my book wasn't what he'd expected, well, he threw me under the bus.

But it's cool. He even apologized, which I told him to NEVER do. Ever. The man is entitled to his opinion. In fact, Shawn seems like an alright dude, really. We both love and respect the work of Martin Popoff. No doubt, it was quite a trip to read Popoff's review. I gave Shawn a little ribbing for that, too. I emailed him and was like, Hey Shawn, your boy Popoff, your hero, loved my book! haha. He was cool about it. We both got a good laugh outta that. I even joked that when Popoff's review appeared in Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles (it's in the latest issue) I was gonna blast a copy off to him. I said he deserved it for holding the distinction of being the only negative review I've received to date. Pretty funny. Meanwhile, others seem to think I did this for the money. Yeah. Ok. Uh huh. You got me. Shit, right now I'm chillin' on my 300-foot yacht off the coast of Australia, surrounded by honeys dripping in suntan lotion, talkin' to you on my laptop. And it was all paid for by this book. Yeah, the advance alone was staggering. Move over Stephen King. Good grief, gimme a break.

I put the book together with spit and chicken wire, paid for outta my own pocket, and had ZERO backing on the promo end. It was all done guerilla style. So if some bozo with a few bucks and a bandwidth (and you know who you are, dear) feels the need to express themselves and talk crap in public and call me a "book hawking tool" or whatever other terms of endearment he has for me, so be it. It's all good. Far as I'm concerned, keep talkin' dude. All day. Everyday. I'm flattered.

Peace...

Cathedral
12-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Abel,
I just got it today, thanks for doing that because you really didn't have to. signing it was a cool touch, thanks.

If it's a good book it will find a spot on my shelves. if it isn't it'll find the coffee table and Ed will become stained and water damaged before finding a box in storage, lmmfao.
I've grazed through it and already know that it will be a memory ride of things i know, things i didn't know, and things we both think we know, lmmfao.

I like my info intake to be as factual as possible, if you accomplished that then you did your job in my personal opinion.

Congratulation's, and Thanks!
I'll let you know what i think, with both barrels if need be. :D

Nickdfresh
12-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by VH101

I put the book together with spit and chicken wire, paid for outta my own pocket, and had ZERO backing on the promo end. It was all done guerilla style. So if some bozo with a few bucks and a bandwidth (and you know who you are, dear) feels the need to express themselves and talk crap in public and call me a "book hawking tool" or whatever other terms of endearment he has for me, so be it. It's all good. Far as I'm concerned, keep talkin' dude. All day. Everyday. I'm flattered.

Peace...

Oh, you mean another writer gave you a plug? Wow, that's just unheard of. It must be a grate read then.:rolleyes:

I'm not your "dear" and you are a tool. If you have the gaul to advertise this crap under the guise of discussion, at least use one of your two user ID's (another confirmation that BRETT was correct BTW) to donate back to the site cunt. That way you can pay for some of the "bandwidth" you fucking preening fraud...

Look dude, you have every right to mention that you wrote a book about VH, or even to defend what you've written, but personally I thinks it's a joke for you to sit there and turn this site into AMAZON.com with your links for sale. Nobody cares, or at least very few do, and the ones that need a manuel for VAN HALEN 101 can find it on their own. You'll excuse me if I don't believe whatever commercial jingle you spew, mmm'kay?

Don't you have some info to cut an paste for your next school project? Get back to rifling through ED's garbage, mm'kay?

campfreddy
12-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Gee, that was beyond special. Too bad the section of my post you highlighted was not directed at you. Sorry to disappoint, but that wasn't for you, Nick. And if no one cares why do they keep emailing me the link to this site? Hmmm? And why do I keep receiving tons of email from VH fans worlwide? Hey, it's cool man. Vent all ya like.
Yeah, I'm whatever colorful expletive you wanna throw at me. Gee, I'm devasted, man. Truly I am. I mean, I don't see how posting up about my book bothers you or affects you so much? Oh well, it's not my concern. That's for you to figure out. I decided to come back here and post up reviews in response to a few emails I received from folks claiming to be dlr army members. If that bothers you, hey, sorry. I don't consider one post to be "turning this place into amazon.com" or whatever. Besides, there's actually a "Website Store" on this site with a bunch of products and links to (shocker) Amazon.com so you can buy those products!!! Are you gonna go after them for that store, too? And if I really wanted to go that route I just would have started up a brand new thread about my book, don't ya think? But I didn't. Instead I responded to this particular thread cause a dlr army member emailed the link to me. Oh well, it is what it is. I'm done. And thanks for your feedback dude. I truly appreciate your candor. Later days...

(By the way, I hope my logging in under a new sn doesn't ruin your week, ok? I can't for the life of me remember my damn passwords or any of that bs and I had signed off, so I'd just as soon sign up for a new name, if that's alright with you?)

Oh, and Cathedral, your very welcome. I really enjoyed your feedback. Lookin' forward to hearing your thoughts on the book, even if they come with both barrels. Later man...

EDDIEVANMAIDEN
12-11-2005, 01:29 AM
No and it's written by an illiterate.

Well then I guess the linkers will appreciate it.