PDA

View Full Version : A tribute to Marc Bolan

DeadOrAlive
11-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Marc Bolan was a wonder. I know Rikk can help me out on this topic. Marc Bolan was at his prime with T Rex, releasing hits, such as Bang A Gong, Jeepster, Ballrooms of Mars, Hot Love, and the song that the infamous metal band GNR covered, Buick Mackane. Discuss.

Rikk
11-13-2005, 08:50 PM
BOLAN was a genius. His band was severely under-rated. And the thing is, he did so much amazing music after T-REX's prime period.

LASER LOVE, NEW YORK CITY, CELEBRATE SUMMER, THE AVENGERS (SUPERBAD), LEFT HAND LUKE, TENEMENT LADY, GROOVE A LITTLE...these are all great songs from the latter day T-REX.

Check out their new DVD, BORN TO BOOGIE...one of the great concert films of all time, with a ton of extra features (including the complete shows in surround sound from which the film was edited).

Here's the cover of the new DVD...
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009ANJDG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And here's Marc in his prime...
http://www.t-rex-web.co.uk/marc%20bolan%20bw.jpg

MARC BOLAN
1947-1977

...too short, brother...

Jahuli
11-14-2005, 03:44 AM
yeah im a marc bolan fan from way back, didnt relize u guys liked him. We could have been talking about him for ages now.

DeadOrAlive
11-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Oh man I totally didnt hear about the DVD release, thanks dude!! And Jahuli, I like alot of them obscure old school punk rock bands, so chances are if you like them, I do too. Same applies with Rikk also.

thome
11-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Once I had a T-Rex (Telphone Pole Flyer) from about 73 I think? I have no Idea were it is.

Great stuff, really inovative,too bad.

Was [ OD ] cause of death?I don't like asking to many qeustion when I know how to look it up.

I'll go look it up.

Returning from a club with his wife driveing car off road into tree
he was killed instantly. Damn

Here's a really good Info page click on- Final years.
http://members.cox.net/dregenold/marc/marc.html

This was a shock to me I didn't remember that.
I was really into T-Rex back then 73thru75 i guess.

I bet he would be one as Influential as Bowie had he lived...

Roth On.

rustoffa
11-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Bolan was a fucking genius.

Hardly anybody ever mentions his sense of humor...he made fun of alot of shit.

loss of fools
11-15-2005, 04:05 PM
all hail bolan. pure genius. its ashame that over here in the uk people just lump t-rex in with the whole glam movement and nothing else. the songs he wrote could strech from glam to hard rock. my favs are crimson moon, sensation boulevard and interstellar soul

DeadOrAlive
11-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Ahh very good guys. Yeah the famous spot where Marc Bolan crashed... Too bad I'm not old enough to see them back in the day.

thome
11-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
Ahh very good guys. Yeah the famous spot where Marc Bolan crashed... Too bad I'm not old enough to see them back in the day.

I remember? wasn't there a picture that became famous and
circulated of the Road and Tree? Like the reverence Morrison's
tomb in France gets?

Ah, we should talk about his music, not the doom stuff.:D

DeadOrAlive
11-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Haha yeah. Another good one from Marc is Hot Love. I recently learned it on bass, and that's some good songwritin' they all made. The main riff is full of triplets, which is hard to count when you're playing along. Great stuff.