• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • squib
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

Steve Via's reflection

NOTES: "Eat 'Em And Smile"

Some people believe this to be one of the great rock records of the decade. It was a ground-breaking event for a skinny kid from Long Island. It actually made me a guitar hero overnight thanks to the steady eye of all the Edward Van Halen fans that were waiting to see what the guitar under the voice of David Lee Roth was going to sound like.

We rehearsed long and hard on it. Great memories of this record are of hanging out with Billy, Dave and Gregg, especially in New York. Dave and I went jogging through Central Park almost every day and sometimes late at night (with security). It's a grand memory, a mighty record with a glorious band. I'm fiercely proud of that record and grateful that I had the chance to be part of such a gig at such an early age.

The tour is what notorious rock and roll gossip is made out of. It was not uncommon to have naked women dancing on the dinner table and then having oral sex with each other over a bottle of white wine, or with a bottle of white wine.
  • BrownSound1
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Mar 2003

That would be Steve Vai not Via.

Comment

• Catfish

That last paragraph is enough to make anyone forget how to spell.

Comment

• Roth & Roll
        Foot Soldier
        • Feb 2004

If vai has such fond memories, why the hell doesnt he hitch up with Dave and Billy Sheehan and totally bury Van Hagar once and for all.
        http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...oker-small.jpg

Comment

• thefive

It just annoys me that Steve and Billy left. They just used Dave for his name. Dont get me wrong I love the EEAS band. Thats the bottom line is they used Dave and he was just coming off breaking up with VH.

Billy went with Mr. Big. ( I will never understand that.)

Steve left for Whitesnake. (That is even more hard to understand)
          I heard Steve was paid 1 million just to tour with them. But money isnt everything. I am sure he got paid well with Dave.

thefive

Comment

• squib
            Head Fluffer
            • Jan 2004

well sorry about the spelling error -
            what I found interesting was that Vai who as far as I know,has no reason to hold anything back had no complaints about his time with Dave. Just more evididance to me on who is the hard one to get along with.

Comment

• thefive

You never know the real situation unless your real close in the camp.
              In Dave's book he said Steve was going to an area real far off in his sound and music. God Bless.

Thats not a quote. I am just too lazy to go get my book and look it up.

One other thing Steve said in a Van Halen magazine is that he regrets leaving Dave and said if they were still together they be selling out the sahara desert.

thefive

Comment

• WACF
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

Eat 'Em and Smile was the ultimate summer soundtrack when it came out.

Good times....Damn good times....

Too bad they did not stick together longer.

Comment

• Dave's Dradle
                  Roadie
                  • Mar 2004

Just listened to Eat'em and Smile yesterday. Great fucking record. Wish they could have kept that going.

Comment

• degüello
                    Sniper
                    • Mar 2004

EEAS is Dave's best solo work, by far.
                    "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• degüello
                      Sniper
                      • Mar 2004

Sheehan has said that if the EEAS band had stayed together, the whole grunge phenomenon might not have been as big as it was.

It's quite a claim. I don't agree, but it's kind of interesting nonetheless.
                      "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• degüello
                        Sniper
                        • Mar 2004

Maybe all that Scientology's going to his head...

Comment

• thefive

When did Sheehan say this and where? in an interview?

thefive

and by the way

Comment

• tjvhou812
                            Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by thefive
                            It just annoys me that Steve and Billy left. They just used Dave for his name. Dont get me wrong I love the EEAS band. Thats the bottom line is they used Dave and he was just coming off breaking up with VH.

Billy went with Mr. Big. ( I will never understand that.)

Steve left for Whitesnake. (That is even more hard to understand)
                            I heard Steve was paid 1 million just to tour with them. But money isnt everything. I am sure he got paid well with Dave.

thefive
                            dave made steve vai a house hold name
                            Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• degüello
                              Sniper
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by thefive
                              When did Sheehan say this and where? in an interview?
                              I read it in an interview, not sure when it was dated.

Comment

Working...