PDA

View Full Version : Would a Roth reunion really be any more special

Chong Li
03-29-2004, 09:27 PM
What was everyones take on those two songs from BOVH I? Were they really any better than Van Hagar? I know, I know, you cant like both Sam and Dave on this forum for some stupid reason (but I do).

Those two reunion songs sounded a little like old VH. Cant get that stuff round here was bluesy and had Daves phrasing and rhythm. It definitely didnt sound like Van Hagar.

The best thing you can say about Me Wise Magic was that the band harmonies were awesome. That is one element that has always defined classic VH to me- the awesome singing by the band. VH1 is full of this.

But back to my question, if those two new songs were an indication, would a reunion tour be that special FOR THE MUSIC? Of course everyone would want to hear them play old stuff, but hasnt Dave been doing that for years?

Chris
03-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Would it be more special?

Yeah, it would be awesome.

And CGTSNM and Me Wise are excellent tunes.

madraoul
03-29-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Chong Li
What was everyones take on those two songs from BOVH I? Were they really any better than Van Hagar? I know, I know, you cant like both Sam and Dave on this forum for some stupid reason (but I do).

Those two reunion songs sounded a little like old VH. Cant get that stuff round here was bluesy and had Daves phrasing and rhythm. It definitely didnt sound like Van Hagar.

The best thing you can say about Me Wise Magic was that the band harmonies were awesome. That is one element that has always defined classic VH to me- the awesome singing by the band. VH1 is full of this.

But back to my question, if those two new songs were an indication, would a reunion tour be that special FOR THE MUSIC? Of course everyone would want to hear them play old stuff, but hasnt Dave been doing that for years?

Would it be more special with Dave? Yes! If you don't understand that, then you just don't get it.

Chong Li
03-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Dude, I lived Van Halen. But none of them are what they were.

I believe Dave coming back would tarnish what they already had. Sammy is more recent....and the comparison is more recent. No one is really nostalgic for Van Hagar.

pete
03-29-2004, 10:37 PM

I believe Dave coming back would tarnish what they already had. Sammy is more recent....and the comparison is more recent. No one is really nostalgic for Van Hagar.

SHOULDN'T YOU BE BLOWING WOODY ALLEN?

madraoul
03-29-2004, 10:48 PM
What did they have? What did Hagar do that was so earthshattering that this band thought they can distance themselves from what made them great? I've noticed Hagaritas tend to do this. Try to pump Hagar into something even he knows he's not. More recent? The asses on American Idol are more recent. Still, I don't think any of them should front what was once the best band on the planet. You say you lived Van Halen, well I live Van Halen. Dave's attitude comes with the package.

pete
03-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by madraoul
What did they have? What did Hagar do that was so earthshattering that this band thought they can distance themselves from what made them great? I've noticed Hagaritas tend to do this. Try to pump Hagar into something even he knows he's not. More recent? The asses on American Idol are more recent. Still, I don't think any of them should front what was once the best band on the planet. You say you lived Van Halen, well I live Van Halen. Dave's attitude comes with the package.

DUDE HE'S EASTERN

TESTOSTERONE IS IN SHORT SUPPLY.

AND I DO MEAN SHORT

GOODNIGHT BRETHEREN

madraoul
03-29-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks man. I lost the Chi for a moment.

Rubnose
03-29-2004, 11:11 PM
When Me Wise Magic was released they played it on the local radio station every 45 minutes. They promo'd that they were going to play it every 45 minutes for 2 days. It was a big exciting historical event. Had they played it live on the VMA's and followed it up with a Dave inspired video and some good marketing as well as a tour it would have been an extavaganza to remember. It would have charted very high and there would have been some solid enthusiasm about the whole affair.

Do you feel that way now? Do you think anyone's heart is going to beat a little faster now that Sammy is back? There is no fanfare and absolutely no press coverage. Unless they release a bona fide hit then we can all expect to see BOV II in the Kmart cut out bin.

Tell ya what. If they get a standing ovation anywhere like they did at the 1996 VMA's then I'll see your point.

Dave has been doing old VH for years because that is what he does. It's that fact that he hasn't done it with the original band that makes seeing it again so special. The original VH band is special to most of us. The 2nd version just isn't as special.

AC/DC is a great band but if it were possible wouldn't you want to see the original version just one more time?

Big Troubles
03-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Rubnose
When Me Wise Magic was released they played it on the local radio station every 45 minutes. They promo'd that they were going to play it every 45 minutes for 2 days. It was a big exciting historical event. Had they played it live on the VMA's and followed it up with a Dave inspired video and some good marketing as well as a tour it would have been an extavaganza to remember. It would have charted very high and there would have been some solid enthusiasm about the whole affair.

Do you feel that way now? Do you think anyone's heart is going to beat a little faster now that Sammy is back? There is no fanfare and absolutely no press coverage. Unless they release a bona fide hit then we can all expect to see BOV II in the Kmart cut out bin.

Tell ya what. If they get a standing ovation anywhere like they did at the 1996 VMA's then I'll see your point.

Dave has been doing old VH for years because that is what he does. It's that fact that he hasn't done it with the original band that makes seeing it again so special. The original VH band is special to most of us. The 2nd version just isn't as special.

AC/DC is a great band but if it were possible wouldn't you want to see the original version just one more time?

I agree with everything except the Ac/Dc remark. No. No I wouldn't want to see the original group. Bon Scott was one ugly motherfucker. :lol:

Rubnose
03-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Dave is an ugly motherfucker.

madraoul
03-30-2004, 12:14 AM
Hell, I'm an ugly motherfucker! Seeing Mr. Scott again would be cool. But seeing the Toastmaster General large and in charge again would be one for the ages.

Dave IS VH
03-30-2004, 12:22 AM
Van Halen is the greatest rock band in history with Dave.

A VH reunion with Dave, would be one of the greatest reunions of all time.

It would be "HUGE" Tickets would sell out in 10 minutes of on sales and everyone would be talking about it.

This Van Hagar reunion fuckin sucks!!!!!!

madraoul
03-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Dave IS VH
Van Halen is the greatest rock band in history with Dave.

A VH reunion with Dave, would be one of the greatest reunions of all time.

It would be "HUGE" Tickets would sell out in 10 minutes of on sales and everyone would be talking about it.

This Van Hagar reunion fuckin sucks!!!!!!

Any fucking questions?

Panamark
03-30-2004, 02:41 AM
If you even need to ask, then you have no idea.

Kat
03-30-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Rubnose
Dave is an ugly motherfucker.

Sorry guy, but Dave is anything but ugly... ;)

SilvioDante
03-30-2004, 08:49 AM

Sammy is more recent....and the comparison is more recent. .

Do you HONESTLY think people give a rats ass about Sammy because he was more "recent"?? He last recorded with the Dickhead Brothers 9 years ago. That is decades in this instant gratification society. The majority of people (I DID SAY MAJORITY, NOT ALL YOU MIS-QUOTING VAN HAGAR DICKS) who will go see Van Hagar are people who weren't in on the original. They know no different.

I know, but Dave's last full album was 20 years ago. So, the curiosity is there because of the break-up. If for no other reason, people would go waiting to see Dave and Ed fight!!

ELVIS
03-30-2004, 09:15 AM

I believe Dave coming back would tarnish what they already had.

I'm compelled to agree...

The real Van Halen never had a bad moment...

I say leave it that way...

:elvis:

pardo
03-30-2004, 09:43 AM
Aside from U2, Van Halen with Dave is the last true Super Group. In the vein of The Stones, Led Zep, The Who etc. Come to think of it, Van Halen may be the only American Superg Group.

So yes, the original lineup would generate more buzz than a Van Hagar reunion. Obviously.

Those are some big boots to fill. Ed and the other 2 know it. They also know they don't have near what they had 20 years ago. I think thats why the went with Fat Sam. People won't expect much.

But I happen to have faith that with Dave at the helm, they'd be able to up their game to a more than decent level. Look at the 2 tunes in '96. They were good, but only a glimpse of what could be. I think Dave's voice is questionable, but if he were back in Van Halen, he'd be on his game - no question about that. Which in turn would kick Ed in the ass. See how it works!?!?!?! These 2 fuckers need each other.

Anyway, this Van Hagar stuff is a big joke. Too bad the jokes on all of us.

ELVIS
03-30-2004, 09:53 AM
Dave's voice is good enough for a good Van Halen album...

stringfelowhawk
03-30-2004, 01:55 PM
"Can't Get This Stuff No More"- The best inuendo ever included in song. And the funny thing is, the brothers grim never even realized what he was singing. Read the lyrics. He's pretty much saying his shit was always legit and the verbal assault of calling them liars without them knowing it makes it even better.

"Me Wise Magic"- The guitar playing and drums at the last chorus is just fierce. That little bit of playing came out with Dave and it sounded like his guitar was about to explode. That is what Dave brought out of Eddie, serious guitar. He was good with Sammy but he was great with Dave and that has alot to do with the writing style differences and attitudes between the two influences.

moose
03-30-2004, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rubnose

AC/DC is a great band but if it were possible wouldn't you want to see the original version just one more time? [/QUOTe

I remember 96 clearly and that is exactly what was going on here in TO.
coming back from a 2 week huntin trip I had no clue until my wife called me and told me that the Q was playing new VH with DDLR. I thought she was pulling my leg until I phoned the radio station
and they told me that requests for the new Halen were just unbelievable and that they were playing the tune every half hour
to keep everybody happy. So I questioned buddy on how it sounded and he said one word.

"CLASSIC" and in my view it was unfuckinbelievable, so how would they sound now if they werre to reunite "BROWN SOUND BABY"
talk about takin' the world by storm
And please fans of classic VH/Roth do not call this farce a reunion it is a CREMATION of what once was.

Warham
03-30-2004, 03:42 PM
I agree with you String. The two Roth songs on BOV1 were great. I remember the Hagar fans coming out of the woodwork saying his voice was all washed up. PLEASE! I gave the record a listen while driving today. His voice was absolutely fine. The only thing he couldn't do was hit the high high scream anymore, but I attribute that to the cigs over the years.

Even Eddie said something about his voice being washed up, but when DLR Band came out the following year, that shut his pie hole for awhile.

degüello
03-30-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by pardo
... Those are some big boots to fill. Ed and the other 2 know it. They also know they don't have near what they had 20 years ago. I think thats why they went with Fat Sam. People won't expect much.

Excellent point. I've thought that too.

FIRELITE
03-30-2004, 07:42 PM

My take on those two new songs is that they are not best suited to Dave's style - I remember Ed trashing Dave saying he couldn't find a song and he ended up picking one he rejected. I think they intentionally only gave him songs to choose from that were not typical Dave - you know nothing like Unchained or Panama or anything celebrative - hit the ground running and jump right into the vocal. Both of these songs were kind of long and had a different kind of vibe and you notice that the vocal doesn't come right in. It's like they wanted to give him a hard time to see if he could do it and they wanted to make sure the music stood out more than the singer.

But anyway, my point is that in spite of this Dave rose to the challenge and came up with great lyrics and sang real well. I think he proved that he could still work with them and complement their music. Sammy would have probably wrote something about love or something uninteresting and the only reason you would want to listen to the song twice is for the guitar.

And Dave's voice sounds great on his latest album. I think a reunion with Dave would have been much better musically than with Sammy. Sammy is mediocre and always will be. I still say that is why Ed wants him over Dave, because he doesn't want Dave to overshadow him - sad because they both sound great together.

Seshmeister
03-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Daves singing is a lot better now thanit was in 1996.

It's all academic though.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Seshmeister
03-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by pete
SHOULDN'T YOU BE BLOWING WOODY ALLEN?

LMFAO!

DLR_EngineRoom
03-30-2004, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chong Li
[B] Would a Roth Reunion really be any more special?

Here's your answer......ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS...ROTH RULES!

IMFUCKINPISSED
03-31-2004, 08:49 PM
Do you remember when you first turned the radio on in 78' and Dave and the brothers were Fuckin killing the radio waves with there Great music? Its like remembering exactly where you were when those Cocksuckers flew the planes in the WTC!!! It was that powerful!!!
It makes me sick that Sammy the Cock blow Boy ( Little White Lies)can weassel his way back in with the brothers again. Sammy sings LAME love songs!

Eds guitar work is SORRY, and WEAK with Sammy!!! How the fuck did this happen again??? What the sad thing is! Is that Ed & Dave need each other to create THE GREAT music that they both put out when working together. Dave was good , but not as powerful with Steve Vai, as he was with Ed. And Well we know Ed Died when sammy the limp Dick came along. Why is Ed so bent on Dave? What the fuck really happend? Did Dave fuck Eds Mom,Wife, or or unknown Sister? I can not beleive that even on a business level Ed will not Tour with Dave to give the real VH Fans(The People that Made them who they are, or were until 85') a chance to see the Greatest band in the World work together again!!! Fuck what happend in the past ED, Alex, Mike!!! Look ahed and lets get some GREAT MUSIC HAPPENING AGAIN!!!!!!!!! Van Halen/W Diamond Dave!!!!!!!!!
The Picture in the previous post says it all!!!
I gettin a Fuckin Headache about this Bullshit!!!
We all waited 8 years for this Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Other-defcon
04-04-2004, 05:53 PM
These songs are sounding like some Van Hagar with DLR singing!
There is no dirt, no madness, no magic, no sweat, no sex...
It's clean!

Golden AWe
04-05-2004, 04:10 AM
I will always remember the moment I heard MWM for the first time on the radio...I was at my friends place back then. It's still giving me the chills.

Very similar to the moments when I first listened to my vinyl VH I and vinyl WACF some weeks after that...MAGICAL.

Great posts here btw