X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chong Li
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

Steve Vai doing Eruption

I remember seeing the EEAS tour and during Steves solo, he played Eruption and tore it up.

Does anyone else remember that?
    "Can't you hear Jamies cryin? Shes runnin with the Devil oh nooooo!!! oh no!
  • TMR

Yes, I remember......Not only did Vai outshine Ed on that song.....as a matter of fact on every song. Steve looked like he was playing with one hand on the VH tunes until the EEAS songs were performed....LOL

Comment

• pardo

Originally posted by TMR
      Yes, I remember......Not only did Vai outshine Ed on that song.....as a matter of fact on every song. Steve looked like he was playing with one hand on the VH tunes until the EEAS songs were performed....LOL
      I hope this is a joke. I've heard boots from this tour and I can barely even listen to it. Hot For Teacher, Unchained, Panama etc all sound stiff and the solos sound robotic. Not to mention the fact that there's keyboards on these tunes - big, sugarry, loud keyboards. On tunes like Unchained - terrible.

I've said it befor, I'll say it again. Steve Vai: million dollar hands, 10 cent head.

Comment

• degüello
        Sniper
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by TMR
        What are you talking about?

I like aspects of Vai's playing, and love the EEAS record, but he sounded like pure shit playing the VH classics. Ugh.

I can't even listen to any boots of that band playing VH. It's crap.
        "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• tjvhou812
          Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

i agree steve is fucking good..... but he is far from king edward
          Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• thefive

Why do you think Steve played those VH songs so bad?

I have some EEAS concert videos and I think the VH stuff sounded good. The guitar. I dunno I havent broken my eeas video collection out in a long time.

thefive

Comment

• Cathedral
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

I liked his approach to the VH classics, but nobody knows a song better than the person who writes it, that is just a given.

Vai wasn't terrible on them though...he just added a different flavor that i thoroughly enjoyed when i saw that Tour.

But lets talk about Edwad ripping Vai off in a little diddy called "I Can't Stop Loving You"...It sounds an awful lot like "The Deeper the Love" by Whitesnake....check it out and tell me the melody is not similar.

Comment

• pardo

To me, early Ed sounds like the life of the party who's drunk and all the chicks wanna fuck.

Steve sounds like the genious with the 1000 IQ, but can't hold a conversation.

I don't think Steves quirkisms fit in to straight ahead kick ass rock. Ed was able to do it and it always sounded cool and natural.

Comment

• Cathedral
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Steve Vai to me is the everyone's guitarist...He's the U-Haul of Rockers in that he plays and has played with everyone.

Besides the EEAS Tour, He shined last in Whitesnake in my opinion. That was another Tour that made an impression on me.

Comment

• David Van Via
                    Sniper
                    • Apr 2004

Steve may have been an amazing guitarist but Eddie might be THE GUITARIST. It is interesting to here Steve play Van Halen songs but he doesn't play the as well as Eddie.
                    Rumour has it that Van Halen have continued in recent years with a new lead signer, but since there 1985 breakup, nobody involved has ever recaptured that spontaneous cheeseburger magic!

ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE

Comment

• Big Troubles
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Feb 2004

I have a detroit boot of eeas with Vai and DLR, and Vai played very well, but there were definite keyboards added for rhythm. Edward is Edward. Vai is Vai. You can't compare the two in the same category.
                      I'd say Edward can be compared to Eric Johnson, Clapton and Young.
                      Vai is comparable to Malmsteen. Two totaly different animals altogether. Plus with Vai and the like it was always about speed. Edward and the like are about finess and technique.
                      "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by tjvhou812
                        i agree steve is fucking good..... but he is far from king edward
                        KING Edward~!!!

More like a Prince Valium than a "king".

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

chortle
                          Originally posted by flappo
                          i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
                          translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• secrets
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Apr 2004

I love both these guitarists. I've never heard Vai play VH tunes so couldn't comment. But his playing on EEAS is remarkable and not just the lead guitar, the rythm guitar also. His album Flexable also features stunning guitar playing and some nice songs. I have to say though, that after '86 Steve's tone was not as cool and he seemed to drench his guitar in effects ( Passion and Warfare?).

EEAS is my favourite performance by Vai, he doesn't play a bad note IMO and he was really pushing the boundries of what could be done on a guitar.

In '86 Vai was untouchable as far as rock guitar playing goes, same as Ed back in the late 70's and early 80's (not today though).

There was a great scene in the movie 'Crossroads' where Steve Vai played in a guitar duel against the hero who was battling to save his soul from the Devil. What would be cool would be the Steve Vai of '86 against the EVH of say '78. Now that would be some battle.
                            Achtung Baby I say, I say...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Damned if you do damned if you don't with some people.

Every Dave guitarist has had the same problem.

Comment

Working...