PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Drunk Drivers

LoungeMachine
11-17-2005, 04:44 PM
When news of George W. Bush's drunken driving arrest surfaced during the final week of the 2000 presidential campaign, Republicans tried to dismiss it as one of those "youthful indiscretions" Bush had steadfastly refused to discuss. Of course, when he got popped in Kennebunkport in 1976, Bush was 30 years old, hardly a kid.

Vice President Dick Cheney, on the other hand, could actually argue that his two DWIs came when he was young and reckless.

Court and police records obtained by The Smoking Gun show that Cheney was convicted of drunk driving twice during an eight-month period in the early 1960s in his home state of Wyoming. The two convictions came when Cheney was 21 and 22 and resulted in fines and a brief suspension of his driver's license.

On November 2, in the wake of the Bush DWI discovery, a Cheney spokesperson told reporters that the vice presidential candidate also had a rap sheet. But the Bush-Cheney campaign refused to provide any further details about the DWI busts. So TSG will now handle that chore.

Cheney first privately disclosed the arrests in 1989, after he had been nominated for Secretary of Defense. According to an account in Bob Woodward's "The Commanders," Cheney told members of the Senate Armed Services committee about the DWI arrests during a closed confirmation hearing. Cheney told the senators that he believed it would be best to publicly disclose the busts. But Armed Services committee members said there was no need for the disclosure and subsequently confirmed Cheney in a 20-0 vote.

Following the May 1991 publication of Woodward's book, there was no mention of Cheney's arrests until the brief confirmation offered by the candidate's spokesperson last November. But the vice president himself mentioned his rap sheet in an interview in the current issue (dated May 7) of The New Yorker. Cheney noted that after dropping out of Yale in early 1961, he found himself "working, building power lines, having been in a couple of scrapes with the law." The busts, he said, made him "think about where I was and where I was headed. I was headed down a bad road, if I continued on that course."

Cheney's first DWI conviction came in November 1962 when he was 21. According to this docket from Cheyenne's Municipal Court, Cheney was nailed for drunkenness and "operating motor vehicle while intoxicated." A Cheyenne Police Judge found Cheney guilty of the two charges and hit him with a 30-day suspension of his driver's license. Cheney also had to forfeit a $150 bond posted at the time of his arrest. Further information about the case--such as the defendant's blood alcohol content or whether Cheney was jailed following the bust--is unavailable since other court records from that period have been destroyed, according to Wyoming officials.

Details of Cheney's second Wyoming arrest, in July 1963, have also fallen victim to time and records destruction practices at the local Municipal Court. But a police arrest card (similar to the one that haunted Dubya) maintained by the Rock Springs Police Department shows that Cheney was fined $100 for his second DWI conviction. The card lists the charge against Cheney, who was then working as a groundman laying power lines, as "11-44," the criminal code classification for drunken driving, according to Police Chief Neil Kourbelas. At the time of the Rock Springs arrest, Kourbelas said that local cops and judges would not have known that young Cheney was a boozing 'n driving recidivist. The police department, Kourbelas said, "wouldn't have had the ability to automatically check with other jurisdictions to find out if anyone had had prior arrests or convictions. We could have arrested Jack the Ripper back then and had no idea what he had done."

THE ONLY PRESIDENT / VICE PRESIDENT TO ENTER THE WHITE HOUSE WITH DRUNK DRIVING CONVICTIONS

SOME FAMILY VALUES :rolleyes:

Warham
11-17-2005, 06:06 PM
This coming from the party of Ted Kennedy.

Whatever happened to that gal that he was with that infamous day in 1969?

LoungeMachine
11-17-2005, 07:29 PM
god you're so predictable

Warham
11-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Predictable AND correct.

I telegraph my answers on purpose.

LoungeMachine
11-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Was Teddy ever elected to POTUS or VP ???

No.

So you flunked the quiz, dumbass

Warham
11-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Why does it matter whether it's a Senator or President, Lounge?

I think draft dodging (I don't need to name people) is worse than a DUI, but apparently you don't feel the same way.

4moreyears
11-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Warham
This coming from the party of Ted Kennedy.

Whatever happened to that gal that he was with that infamous day in 1969?

Brian,

A little history lesson for you and all who don't remember.

Ted Killed her after drinking himself to oblivian. But he saved himself. How lucky are we as americans to have him as the voice of the democratic party in the senate.

thanks for asking

4moreyears
11-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Was Teddy ever elected to POTUS or VP ???

No.

So you flunked the quiz, dumbass

If you remember he ran and could not even win the nomination. I guess if you are a Senator it is OK to kill someone, but if you just get a DUI you cant be president.

FORD
11-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Chimp and Cheney have killed at least 105,000 more people than Ted Kennedy has.

DrMaddVibe
11-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Ted has a place out on Martha's Vineyard...he has more experience at hiding the bodies!:D

LoungeMachine
11-17-2005, 11:14 PM

I think draft dodging (I don't need to name people) is worse than a DUI, but apparently you don't feel the same way.

Because moron, the thread title reads PRESIDENTIAL DUI, not Senatorial..:rolleyes:

Feel free to start another thread if you wish, but please have someone read the title to you before trying to post ;)

Draft dodger you say?

Glad you brought it up:D

Cheney ????????

And why didnt Bush make his physical again??????

You're a riot
:cool:

LoungeMachine
11-17-2005, 11:15 PM

Yeah but Clinton got a hummer

-Warham

Nickdfresh
11-18-2005, 12:44 AM

Didn't stop you from voting for two draft-dodgers...:)

Seshmeister
11-18-2005, 01:22 AM
At least Clinton's draft avoidment was straight up.

Cheney and Bush were much more dodgy.

Anyway how many senators kids are in Iraq?

ELVIS
11-18-2005, 04:21 AM
This thread is meaningless bullshit...:rolleyes:

Warham
11-18-2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
At least Clinton's draft avoidment was straight up.

Cheney and Bush were much more dodgy.

Anyway how many senators kids are in Iraq?

Yeah, it's better to avoid the draft outright than serve in the National Guard, eh?

Nickdfresh
11-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Yeah, it's better to avoid the draft outright than serve in the National Guard, eh?

No. It's better to oppose the war, not serve, and protest against it than to support the war, and use your rich boy connections to avoid it like a chickenhawk pussy...

Cathedral
11-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Look at all of you, jumping on each other as though any of you have a moral ground to stand on.
Pretending your side has integrity while attacking the other side, it's pathetic and i've lost respect for some of you in this thread.

So let me get this straight,

1) If you have ever had a drunk driving conviction you cannot be President? Where's that written? In your Bush hater handbook?

2) It's ok to kill 1 woman as long as it isn't 105,000, you actually justify Kennedy's '69 incident with that logic? There is a difference between driving home drunk from a party and killing your date and dying for your country, but don't let facts skew your fucked up opinions.

3) It's ok to snub your country and run from the war while everyone else HAD to do their duty? Personally I find that insulting, because I wanted to serve but wasn't allowed, he could have and ran like a chiken...whatever, this shows me you are just lost and have no idea how to be a rational human being.
Bush actually wore the uniform, Clinton pissed on it, but you go ahead and justify his actions like that. Oh, but while he was President, he sent people to war, how ironic that he was too good for his own prescription, eh?
NEWSFLASH For Nick: Clinton did not dodge the draft because he was against it, he dodged because he was scared shitless. but anyway, I don't excuse anyone who dodged the draft because they were "against it", you either did your duty or you are a piece of shit with no balls, period.

I must have been a fool to think about turning against my own party and risk letting another Democrat into office by voting Independant.
It's shit like this that proves to me that the Democrats actually do have a platform, and it's "Anything to get rid of Bush, fair or not, true or not, childish or not.....We just want the opower back", well forget it, I won't assist you in that agenda.

Oh yeah baby, thanks for the dose of reality, because the smoke has cleared and my ass knows exactly where i belong...On the Right.

I have my issues with the party, but i now know that my issues with the Left are deeper and by drifting to the middle i'll only be supporting that which i cannot tollerate.

Yours Truly,
Cathedral (R) for life......Oh, and thanks... ;)

LoungeMachine
11-18-2005, 10:03 AM

Cheney served in the Guard?

I thought he got 4 deferments.

huh.:rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
11-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
This thread is meaningless bullshit...:rolleyes:

That hurts ;)

LMMFAO

LoungeMachine
11-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral

Oh yeah baby, thanks for the dose of reality, because the smoke has cleared and my ass knows exactly where i belong...On the Right.

LMAO :D

Hey, Cat, if all it took was reminding people that these were the first 2 White House Office Holders to be elected with criminal records, then I was glad to do it.

The moral standards they always seem to set for others, never seem to apply to themselves. [See mayor of Spokane]

And actually Cheney got 5 FIVE deferments, my mistake;)

Seshmeister
11-18-2005, 10:17 AM

Yeah.

Clinton was able to avoid the draft by getting a Rhodes scholarship. That's meritocratic draft avoidance because at least anyone could get a scholarship if they worked hard enough.

Bush getting his Dad to make sure that he got a National Air Guard posting rather than being sent to Vietnam is corrupt. Then going AWOL is even worse.

LoungeMachine
11-18-2005, 10:24 AM

2) It's ok to kill 1 woman as long as it isn't 105,000, you actually justify Kennedy's '69 incident with that logic? There is a difference between driving home drunk from a party and killing your date and dying for your country, but don't let facts skew your fucked up opinions.

Bad comparison Cat.

FORD never "justified" Kennedy's act. And he never said the was no honor in dying for your country. But Bush/Cheney didnt die for their country. They didnt even serve. They sent OTHERS to die for their country.

And no one ever said you cannot have a DWI and be elected. I just pointed out how you guys elected 2 guys with 3 DWI between them.

And then the Cons in here got their panties in a bunch:D

Dr.ASSvibe would call it " ringing the bell" ;)

I don't hold myself to any moral high ground, but this administration sure does. That makes THEM the hypocrites, not me.

LM [I] forever

Nickdfresh
11-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Cheney served in the Guard?

I thought he got 4 deferments.

huh.:rolleyes:

Nope! You're WRONG LOUNGE!:mad:

It was FIVE deferments. Dick "Tinman" CHENEY not only has a weak ticker, he has no heart....

LoungeMachine
11-18-2005, 10:38 AM
5 Deferments. wow.

At least I went down and registered for the draft as instructed by law.

Nickdfresh
11-18-2005, 10:55 AM
The difference is that TED KENNEDY almost certainly would have been President within the next ten years after that incident, so he did see some consequences or his actions.

LoungeMachine
11-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
The difference is that TED KENNEDY almost certainly would have been President within the next ten years after that incident, so he did see some consequences or his actions.

The irony is, by quashing his presidential goal, it probably saved his life.

The fact that his name was even needed by the Cons in this thread to justify them electing 2 convicted drunk drivers to the WHITE HOUSE is hilarious.

Seshmeister
11-18-2005, 11:16 AM
5 Deferments. wow.

At least I went down and registered for the draft as instructed by law.

I'm confused, what age were you - 14?

Did the draft continue after the war ended?

LoungeMachine
11-18-2005, 11:17 AM

3) It's ok to snub your country and run from the war while everyone else HAD to do their duty?

To whom are you referring to?

Bush?

Cheney?

Rummy?

Perle?

Wolfowitz?

F] All of the above?

Seshmeister
11-18-2005, 11:19 AM
The irony is, by quashing his presidential goal, it probably saved his life.

Indeed.

I think even Lee Harvey Oswald could have hit that fat bastard without any help...

LoungeMachine
11-18-2005, 11:20 AM

18 in 1980

And yes the draft continued.

I registered at a post office in downtown Seattle on my lunch hour from work.

I remember being handed papers from a "hippie" outside telling me NOT to register.

Seshmeister
11-18-2005, 11:22 AM
18 in 1980

And yes the draft continued.

Jeez never knew that.

And this was with Carter in charge?

Cathedral
11-18-2005, 11:24 AM
LMAO :D

Hey, Cat, if all it took was reminding people that these were the first 2 White House Office Holders to be elected with criminal records, then I was glad to do it.

The moral standards they always seem to set for others, never seem to apply to themselves. [See mayor of Spokane]

And actually Cheney got 5 FIVE deferments, my mistake;)

No, your post isn't all it took, but i was already standing on the edge when it pushed me over, lol.

And, Cheney is a ball-less piece of shit too, no argument there.

But i don't make excuses for any of them, they got what they deserved. But if Kennedy can be a Senator, by what standard are any others to be held to?

Cathedral
11-18-2005, 11:33 AM
Bad comparison Cat.

FORD never "justified" Kennedy's act. And he never said the was no honor in dying for your country. But Bush/Cheney didnt die for their country. They didnt even serve. They sent OTHERS to die for their country.

And no one ever said you cannot have a DWI and be elected. I just pointed out how you guys elected 2 guys with 3 DWI between them.

And then the Cons in here got their panties in a bunch:D

Dr.ASSvibe would call it " ringing the bell" ;)

I don't hold myself to any moral high ground, but this administration sure does. That makes THEM the hypocrites, not me.

LM [I] forever

Sure he does, I don't see him calling on his removal, so he justifies it, I never have and i never understood how he could be elected with that incident in his past.
The fact is, there is no comparing war to a night out that goes bad, so that does attack the honor in dying for your country.
And again, Bush and Cheney get no defense from me.

I'm not jumping back onto the Bush bandwagon, but i'm sure as hell not going to help elect a Democrat next time...I'll have no choice but to vote "Lesser of two" evils again, and I hate that shit, but it is the path this country chose, and i'll not be silent.

But let's analyze who actually elected Bush in the first place, hmmmm, it wasn't the voters, hmmmmmm, who was it, oh, i dunno, maybe The Elecotrate?
All you can hang on the Republican Voters who supported Bush is that they agreed with the electorate.

FORD
11-18-2005, 11:34 AM

The draft itself stopped after Vietnam. But mandatory registration continued. At least they claimed it was mandatory.

Which means they said you wouldn't be able to vote. Or get any sort of financial aid for school. And for an 18 year old sick of Ronald Reagan in 1984, I really didn't think that through long enough to challenge the injustice. Voting against that old bastard was priority so I signed up.

As a conscientious objector, of course. :)

Nickdfresh
11-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Jeez never knew that.

He means "Selective Service." The actual draft ended in 1973 in America. SS was mainly a list to call up males between the ages of 18 and 27 during the outbreak of hostilities....

Cathedral
11-18-2005, 11:39 AM
To whom are you referring to?

Bush?

Cheney?

Rummy?

Perle?

Wolfowitz?

F] All of the above?

I'm talking about the public, you and I, bro.
But how many Democrats did their duty in comparison?

I agree with half your statement that the Administration hold themselves above the rest of the population, but let me add that you get the same damned thing from Democrats, and you cannot deny that.

The pissing match of integrity is lost on anyone who chooses politics as their profession....so we're right back to the lesser of two evils thing again.

I just happen to think that the Democrats are far more evil simply by looking at what they stand for, abortion, gays, etc.

Nickdfresh
11-18-2005, 11:41 AM
No, your post isn't all it took, but i was already standing on the edge when it pushed me over, lol.

And, Cheney is a ball-less piece of shit too, no argument there.

But i don't make excuses for any of them, they got what they deserved. But if Kennedy can be a Senator, by what standard are any others to be held to?

I don't know, maybe a guy who dodged the draft while supporting the sending of the poor and minorities to ViETNAM could someday be Secretary of the ARMY....:) (CHENEY)

Cathedral
11-18-2005, 11:45 AM
I don't know, maybe a guy who dodged the draft while supporting the sending of the poor and minorities to ViETNAM could someday be Secretary of the ARMY....:) (CHENEY)

Hmmm, what's your point?
I'm clear on what i think of Cheney, so if that is supposed to answer my question, it didn't.

FORD
11-18-2005, 11:50 AM

But how many Democrats did their duty in comparison?

http://www.awolbush.com/whoserved.html

Nickdfresh
11-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Hmmm, what's your point?
I'm clear on what i think of Cheney, so if that is supposed to answer my question, it didn't.

What I'm saying is that KENNEDY's transgressions prevented him from being President, but nothing stopped BUSH boy from claiming to be Mr. CHRISTIAN moralist (despite the fact he's a lying, drunk, coke-head, with two frat-slut daughters --family values indeed!).:) I mean, even CLINTON, for all his failings endlessly pointed out here, he still helped to create a remarkable daughter...

It's all about the hypocrisy and double standards CAT. Just because somebody says they're moralists, and are for family values, doesn't in any way make it so. It's about the hollowness of BUSH's rhetoric!! You can brand KENNEDY a drunken buffoon all you want, the fact is that he severally damaged his political career with the party-boy, callous indiffernet image. But he's also been an effective leader in the Senate, why do you think so many right wing sites go after him?;) But he never claimed to be anointed by God as BUSH, and some of the Republican leaders, practically have...

KENNEDY no more willfully tried to 'murder' MARY JOE KOPECHNE than BUSH tried to murder over 2000 American troops and tens of thousands of Iraqis. Yet, somehow, both historical events have happened.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1495/1076/1600/Mary_Jo_Kopechne.jpg

And if I thought these sites that cry about KOPECHNE at all really cared about her, i might give them some credence. But she's just a political-football, ammo to flame, to them...

Cathedral
11-18-2005, 04:04 PM
What I'm saying is that KENNEDY's transgressions prevented him from being President, but nothing stopped BUSH boy from claiming to be Mr. CHRISTIAN moralist (despite the fact he's a lying, drunk, coke-head, with two frat-slut daughters --family values indeed!).:) I mean, even CLINTON, for all his failings endlessly pointed out here, he still helped to create a remarkable daughter...

It's all about the hypocrisy and double standards CAT. Just because somebody says they're moralists, and are for family values, doesn't in any way make it so. It's about the hollowness of BUSH's rhetoric!! You can brand KENNEDY a drunken buffoon all you want, the fact is that he severally damaged his political career with the party-boy, callous indiffernet image. But he's also been an effective leader in the Senate, why do you think so many right wing sites go after him?;) But he never claimed to be anointed by God as BUSH, and some of the Republican leaders, practically have...

KENNEDY no more willfully tried to 'murder' MARY JOE KOPECHNE than BUSH tried to murder over 2000 American troops and tens of thousands of Iraqis. Yet, somehow, both historical events have happened.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1495/1076/1600/Mary_Jo_Kopechne.jpg

And if I thought these sites that cry about KOPECHNE at all really cared about her, i might give them some credence. But she's just a political-football, ammo to flame, to them...

Ahhhh, ok, I see your point now.
Over the last several months i have seen just how dangerous the christian right can be, and i don't relate much of their actions to the faith i practice, or am trying real hard to practice, old habits die very hard.

I want everyone who reads this to understand that you should be very afraid of the false-christian movement because millions of people have been swindled and had their heads filled with junk that is no way shape or form of Christ.
Those that believe Bush was the "chosen" one have swallowed the bulk of that junk too. You can tell by the way they wave their American flags for the war with one hand and flip you off with the other.

Heaven isn't going to be very crowded at all, hope to see you there. ;)

Cathedral
11-18-2005, 04:09 PM
http://www.awolbush.com/whoserved.html

I'd like to see an alternate source on this one. I don't think i can accept this link as unbiased.
I'm not saying it isn't factual, because i don't know either way.
But it coming from a Bush attack site i do have to question it's validity.

Warham
11-18-2005, 06:08 PM
http://www.whoserved.com/index.asp

Here, Cat. This site isn't biased.

More Republicans have served in the military than Democrats.

4moreyears
12-03-2005, 08:24 AM
Jeez never knew that.

I actually registered in 1986 at 18.

blueturk
12-03-2005, 09:28 AM

It cost the US roughly $1,000,000 in the 70's to train Bush to fly over Alabama (when he bothered to show up). Even back then, Dubya was learning how to waste taxpayer money.

ODShowtime
12-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Predictable AND correct.

I telegraph my answers on purpose.

correct as in factual

relevant? Now that's a different story.

ODShowtime
12-03-2005, 11:37 AM

good Cheney did that too :rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
12-03-2005, 01:03 PM
http://www.whoserved.com/index.asp

Here, Cat. This site isn't biased.

More Republicans have served in the military than Democrats.

Except the ones' that planned the War.:)

Interesting that the Republicans that largely planned and influenced policy towards the IRAQ War, CHENEY & ROVE, somehow missed Vietnam.

I guess they're used to letting other people die for their beliefs...

And valiantly fighting to the last , er, some other guy....

Ally_Kat
12-05-2005, 11:57 PM
I mean, even CLINTON, for all his failings endlessly pointed out here, he still helped to create a remarkable daughter...

who hangs out with Tara Reid.

But either way, does it matter? Like you guys never did anything "wild" in college and your young adulthood? I think only the mormons can throw that stone in a glass house.

FORD
12-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
who hangs out with Tara Reid.

That's odd.... they never showed up here together. :confused:

ashstralia
12-06-2005, 03:40 AM
yes, i agree with ally.
i reckon the only people who haven't
driven drunk are:
a) people who don't drink,
b) people who don't drive.

now whether you've been caught is another matter.....

FORD
12-06-2005, 04:40 AM
I already confessed my previous sin in another thread, so I can't deny it now.