X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Presidential Drunk Drivers

When news of George W. Bush's drunken driving arrest surfaced during the final week of the 2000 presidential campaign, Republicans tried to dismiss it as one of those "youthful indiscretions" Bush had steadfastly refused to discuss. Of course, when he got popped in Kennebunkport in 1976, Bush was 30 years old, hardly a kid.

Vice President Dick Cheney, on the other hand, could actually argue that his two DWIs came when he was young and reckless.

Court and police records obtained by The Smoking Gun show that Cheney was convicted of drunk driving twice during an eight-month period in the early 1960s in his home state of Wyoming. The two convictions came when Cheney was 21 and 22 and resulted in fines and a brief suspension of his driver's license.

On November 2, in the wake of the Bush DWI discovery, a Cheney spokesperson told reporters that the vice presidential candidate also had a rap sheet. But the Bush-Cheney campaign refused to provide any further details about the DWI busts. So TSG will now handle that chore.

Cheney first privately disclosed the arrests in 1989, after he had been nominated for Secretary of Defense. According to an account in Bob Woodward's "The Commanders," Cheney told members of the Senate Armed Services committee about the DWI arrests during a closed confirmation hearing. Cheney told the senators that he believed it would be best to publicly disclose the busts. But Armed Services committee members said there was no need for the disclosure and subsequently confirmed Cheney in a 20-0 vote.

Following the May 1991 publication of Woodward's book, there was no mention of Cheney's arrests until the brief confirmation offered by the candidate's spokesperson last November. But the vice president himself mentioned his rap sheet in an interview in the current issue (dated May 7) of The New Yorker. Cheney noted that after dropping out of Yale in early 1961, he found himself "working, building power lines, having been in a couple of scrapes with the law." The busts, he said, made him "think about where I was and where I was headed. I was headed down a bad road, if I continued on that course."

Cheney's first DWI conviction came in November 1962 when he was 21. According to this docket from Cheyenne's Municipal Court, Cheney was nailed for drunkenness and "operating motor vehicle while intoxicated." A Cheyenne Police Judge found Cheney guilty of the two charges and hit him with a 30-day suspension of his driver's license. Cheney also had to forfeit a $150 bond posted at the time of his arrest. Further information about the case--such as the defendant's blood alcohol content or whether Cheney was jailed following the bust--is unavailable since other court records from that period have been destroyed, according to Wyoming officials.

Details of Cheney's second Wyoming arrest, in July 1963, have also fallen victim to time and records destruction practices at the local Municipal Court. But a police arrest card (similar to the one that haunted Dubya) maintained by the Rock Springs Police Department shows that Cheney was fined $100 for his second DWI conviction. The card lists the charge against Cheney, who was then working as a groundman laying power lines, as "11-44," the criminal code classification for drunken driving, according to Police Chief Neil Kourbelas. At the time of the Rock Springs arrest, Kourbelas said that local cops and judges would not have known that young Cheney was a boozing 'n driving recidivist. The police department, Kourbelas said, "wouldn't have had the ability to automatically check with other jurisdictions to find out if anyone had had prior arrests or convictions. We could have arrested Jack the Ripper back then and had no idea what he had done."

THE ONLY PRESIDENT / VICE PRESIDENT TO ENTER THE WHITE HOUSE WITH DRUNK DRIVING CONVICTIONS

SOME FAMILY VALUES
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

This coming from the party of Ted Kennedy.

Whatever happened to that gal that he was with that infamous day in 1969?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

god you're so predictable

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Predictable AND correct.

I telegraph my answers on purpose.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Was Teddy ever elected to POTUS or VP ???

No.

So you flunked the quiz, dumbass

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Why does it matter whether it's a Senator or President, Lounge?

I think draft dodging (I don't need to name people) is worse than a DUI, but apparently you don't feel the same way.

Comment

• 4moreyears
              Commando
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Warham
              This coming from the party of Ted Kennedy.

Whatever happened to that gal that he was with that infamous day in 1969?
              Brian,

A little history lesson for you and all who don't remember.

Ted Killed her after drinking himself to oblivian. But he saved himself. How lucky are we as americans to have him as the voice of the democratic party in the senate.

thanks for asking
              Last edited by 4moreyears; 11-17-2005, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• 4moreyears
                Commando
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                Was Teddy ever elected to POTUS or VP ???

No.

So you flunked the quiz, dumbass
                If you remember he ran and could not even win the nomination. I guess if you are a Senator it is OK to kill someone, but if you just get a DUI you cant be president.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Chimp and Cheney have killed at least 105,000 more people than Ted Kennedy has.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    Ted has a place out on Martha's Vineyard...he has more experience at hiding the bodies!
                    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

I think draft dodging (I don't need to name people) is worse than a DUI, but apparently you don't feel the same way.

Because moron, the thread title reads PRESIDENTIAL DUI, not Senatorial..

Feel free to start another thread if you wish, but please have someone read the title to you before trying to post

Draft dodger you say?

Glad you brought it up

Cheney ????????

And why didnt Bush make his physical again??????

You're a riot

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD

Yeah but Clinton got a hummer

-Warham

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Didn't stop you from voting for two draft-dodgers...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

At least Clinton's draft avoidment was straight up.

Cheney and Bush were much more dodgy.

Anyway how many senators kids are in Iraq?

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

This thread is meaningless bullshit...

Comment

Working...