X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

College Football Saturday--November 19, 2005

Lots and lots of intriguing games going on today...

you know...it could be one of those days that nips some teams in the asses...

lmfao...

most likely...Ohio State's...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

#16 VS. #1

Now, I don't really think this is going to be a good game...

I think USC most likely will run up a 40 or 50 point win here...

but...if they come in sleeping...it could be first half interesting...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

Southern California vs. Fresno State

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preview
      GAME: Fresno State at Southern California
      TIME: 10:15 P.M. EST
      VENUE: Los Angeles Colliseum

Top-ranked Southern California looks to extend the nation's longest current winning streak when it steps out of conference to play host to No. 16 Fresno State.

USC (10-0) easily won its 32nd straight game last week as LenDale White ran for three scores and Matt Leinart passed for two others in a 35-10 victory over California.

"The Cal game allowed us to finish off our season winning all of our games on the road in a very challenging and almost dramatic fashion at times," Trojans head coach Pete Carroll said.

Starting with this contest, Southern California plays its final two games at home at the Los Angeles Coliseum, wrapping up the regular season Dec. 3 against rival UCLA.

"We have earned everything we get this year. We are going to have to earn it this week and next week as well," Carroll said.

Leinart won the Heisman Trophy in 2004, but may be having a better season in 2005. He has increased his passing yardage, completion percentage, passing efficiency rating and has more rushing touchdowns.

He also has a fan in Fresno State coach Pat Hill.

"He has only lost one game in his career, that makes him a very special person, in my eyes, as a quarterback," Hill said.

Besides their 32-game winning streak, the two-time defending national champion Trojans have won 25 straight at the L.A. Coliseum. A win over Fresno State (8-1) would match the conference record for longest home winning streak, set by California from 1919-23.

White and backfield running mate Reggie Bush have combined for 2,147 rushing yards and 28 rushing touchdowns, eclipsing last year's marks when they ran for 2,099 yards for 21 scores.

Fresno State knows what it takes to break a long winning streak. The Bulldogs last week ended Boise State's 31-game Western Athletic Conference run with a 27-7 victory.

Like Southern California, the Bulldogs have a senior quarterback setting records.

Paul Pinegar threw for 307 yards and two touchdowns, including a school-record 98-yard toss to Paul Williams.

"It was great to give them a taste of how it feels when you're that close to the WAC championship and you just get run over by another team," said Pinegar, who became Fresno State's career leader in touchdown passes with 72, surpassing David Carr (70).

Fresno State still has conference games remaining against Nevada and Louisiana Tech. Two wins would give Fresno State its fourth conference crown and first since 1999.

The Bulldogs' defense has allowed a conference-low 14.8 points per game, while the offense is also first at 40.2 points per contest.

This is the first meeting between the teams since Trent Dilfer led Fresno State to a 24-7 upset of USC in the 1992 Freedom Bowl.

AP NEWS
      The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

vs. #3

Miami against an underrated Ramblin' Wreck...with a newly signed Chan Gailey...

could be a better game than many expect...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

Miami (Fla.) vs. Georgia Tech

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preview
          GAME: Georgia Tech at Miami (Fla.)
          TIME: 07:45 P.M. EST
          VENUE: Orange Bowl

With a pair of home contests remaining against teams it easily beat last season, Miami is on track to play in the first ACC title game. The Hurricanes, though, are chasing an even more important goal.

Third-ranked Miami (8-1, 5-1) looks to extend its winning streak to nine when it hosts Georgia Tech (6-3, 4-3) on Saturday in a game rescheduled from Oct. 22 because of Hurricane Wilma.

The Hurricanes routed Wake Forest last weekend as Kyle Wright had five touchdown passes and Charlie Jones ran for two more scores in a 47-17 victory.

Miami needs to beat Georgia Tech and Virginia to set up a rematch with No. 22 Florida State in the ACC championship game, and both of those remaining regular-season games are in the Orange Bowl. The Hurricanes beat the Yellow Jackets and Cavaliers by a combined 34 points last season.

Miami, though, is thinking about more than a conference title. With Alabama's overtime loss to LSU on Saturday, the Hurricanes moved past the Crimson Tide into third place in the Bowl Championship Series standings. They need a misstep by either Southern California or Texas to play for a national title.

"A lot of things have to go our way, but I think we're still in the hunt for the whole thing," Miami coach Larry Coker said.

Wright finished 17-for-27 for 319 yards against Wake Forest, and his five touchdown passes tied a school record. The sophomore, making only his ninth career start, had three TDs in a span of 2 minutes, 40 seconds late in the first half.

"We're right where we want to be record-wise, so we've just got to keep winning," Wright said. "We can't control what everyone else does."

Jones, starting in place of injured tailback Tyrone Moss (torn ACL), rushed for 90 yards as Miami won its eighth straight since a season-opening 10-7 loss to the Seminoles.

Georgia Tech had its three-game winning streak snapped last week with a 27-17 loss at Virginia, and on Sunday, fell out of the AP Top 25.

The Yellow Jackets fell behind 17-0 after 17 minutes, but scored 17 straight points to tie it in the third quarter. The Cavaliers, however, scored on back-to-back drives to seal the win.

"If anything it energizes you to rally back like that," said Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey, who was rewarded for the program's consistency Tuesday with a five-year contract that runs through 2010.

"We fought our heart out to get back to 17-17. ... Then we're two scores down and had to scramble. The guys fought hard. I was proud of the way they fought, but the bottom line is they outexecuted us."

Miami will be the highest-ranked team Georgia Tech has faced since a 26-21 loss to then-No. 2 Florida State on Sept. 9, 2000. The Yellow Jackets haven't faced a team ranked this high on the road since a 41-35 defeat to the top-ranked Seminoles on Sept. 11, 1999.

AP NEWS

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

vs. #19

Okay...after a big win over alma matre Florida...could this be a letdown against a team better than advertised?

Spurrier won't let it happen...but it should be a good game...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Wasn't there a huge fight in this game last year?

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

South Carolina vs. Clemson

Preview
                GAME: Clemson at South Carolina
                TIME: 07:00 P.M. EST
                VENUE: Williams-Brice Stadium

Last year, South Carolina and Clemson gained national headlines for all the wrong reasons.

On Saturday, the two intrastate rivals meet hoping to build off wins that garnered national attention as they prepare for a bowl game.

While Clemson (6-4) won last year's game 29-7 on Nov. 20, it is most remembered for an ugly fourth-quarter brawl that stretched almost 60 yards of the playing field and resulted in the suspensions of 12 players. Both schools declined bowl invitations for the postseason as punishment to the respective programs.

"It was just a bad, ugly scene that will hopefully never happen again in our state," said first-year Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier. "Hate doesn't work. It's how you play the game. It's how you play the game, coach and prepare and getting ready to play the game of football. You want to beat everybody you play but you need to play the game the way it is meant to be played."

Tigers coach Terry Bowden agreed with the penalty the school imposed on his team.

"I think my players learned a valuable lesson," Bowden said. "I know I did."

This year, both teams again are bowl-eligible, but there are plenty of good feelings on both sides. The 19th-ranked Gamecocks (7-3) entered the Top 25 for the first time this year on the strength of a 30-22 upset Saturday of then-No. 12 Florida, where Spurrier won a Heisman Trophy in 1966 and led to a national championship in 1996.

Mike Davis and Daccus Turman each rushed for two touchdowns as the Gamecocks won a school-record fifth consecutive conference game and left themselves a small chance to claim the East Division title of the SEC. Spurrier, though, realized just how fine a line his team walked in the victory that ended a 14-game losing streak to his alma mater.

"It just worked out," Spurrier said. "We didn't play very well. We didn't throw the ball well. Defensively, we hung in there. We held them to 22 points or so but we had a lot of plays where we could be better."

A loss by Georgia to Kentucky on Saturday would give South Carolina the East Division title and a spot in the SEC Championship game.

Clemson became bowl-eligible with a 35-14 rout Saturday of then-No. 14 Florida State. Charlie Whitehurst threw for 269 yards and three touchdowns as coach Terry Bowden beat father Bobby for the second time in three years. It was an all-around complete game for the Tigers, who recorded six sacks and a pair of interceptions while holding the Seminoles to 226 total yards.

Whitehurst has a chance to become the first Tigers quarterback to win four games against the Gamecocks. He is 60-for-92 for 740 yards and four touchdowns in the previous three victories, including a 302-yard, four-touchdown performance in a 63-17 rout in 2003.

The game already has caused tensions to rise in state government due to the lack of television coverage. CBS, ESPN and Jefferson-Pilot all opted for different SEC games within their contract rights, leaving pay-per-view as the only option to see the contest.

This incurred the wrath of South Carolina state Rep. John Graham Altman, who is pondering deportation of those decision-makers to deny his constituents the game through broadcast television.

"I'm in total disbelief. I think this might be illegal," said Altman. "We need to deport the people who made this decision to Guantanamo Bay. I may very well introduce a bill to do just that.

"I'll say this, Jefferson-Pilot has done something I didn't think was possible, and that is to unite Clemson and South Carolina fans this close to the game," Altman added.

The Tigers lead the all-time series 62-36-4 that dates back to 1896.

AP NEWS

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

#5 vs.

PSU should wrap up the Big 10 automatic bid to the BCS...

or will Michigan St. pull up the upset at home?

should be a good game...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

interesting MSU stat...

they are 9-1 against top 10 teams since 1997...

not bad...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Michigan State vs. Penn State

Preview
                      GAME: Penn State at Michigan State
                      TIME: 04:00 P.M. EST
                      VENUE: Spartan Stadium

For Penn State, it's simple: Beat Michigan State on Saturday, earn a BCS bowl berth.

The No. 5 Lions (9-1, 6-1 Big Ten) travel to East Lansing looking to sew up the conference title when they take on the Spartans in the schools' regular season finale.

A victory Saturday would be the latest step in Penn State's remarkable resurgence this season. After posting losing records four of the previous five years, the Lions are on the verge of their first conference crown since 1994.

"I obviously feel better about this year than I did last year. Somebody said walking in that 12 months ago we were 0-6 in the Big Ten," coach Joe Paterno said after the Nittany Lions defeated Wisconsin 35-14 on Nov. 5. Penn State had a bye last week.

"I probably had more confidence that we were close than any of you guys did and in fact some of the people in the administration. I had a good feeling about the team, I really did."

Penn State finished 4-7 and 3-9 the last two years, but the turnaround has occurred in every facet of the Lions' game. They are one of three teams in the country that ranks in the top 25 in total offense and defense.

The Nittany Lions are allowing 297.1 yards per game defensively, second-best in the conference and 11th in the nation.

In the win over Wisconsin, Tamba Hali had four of Penn State's nine sacks, and the Lions held Brian Calhoun to 38 yards rushing. Calhoun came in averaging 135.3 yards per game.

Hali leads the Big Ten with 11 sacks.

Penn State quarterback Michael Robinson rushed for a career-high 125 yards against Wisconsin, while Tony Hunt rushed for a career-high 151 yards.

A Penn State loss Saturday would cost the Lions the conference title.

A defeat would open the door for Ohio State or Michigan, who meet Saturday and kick off three hours earlier than Penn State, to slip past the Lions and claim the crown.

If Penn State falls, Ohio State can clinch the title with a victory at Michigan, which would give the Buckeyes a better conference record than the Lions. A Wolverines win would create a three way tie atop the Big Ten, and Michigan would hold the tiebreaker with wins over Ohio State and Penn State.

Michigan State (5-5, 2-5) is just hoping for a positive end to a disappointing season after a 4-0 start had it ranked as high as 11th in the Top 25.

The Spartans averaged 49 points in the first four games, but close losses to Michigan and then-No. 15 Ohio State began a stretch of five defeats in six games.

"I think maybe in times like this we press and try to do too much, because we're trying to find ways to get back to the way we were playing," quarterback Drew Stanton said after Michigan State was routed 41-18 by Minnesota last weekend.

Stanton has thrown for 2,844 yards, 21 touchdowns and only eight interceptions. The offense ranks fifth in the nation and first in the Big Ten, averaging 506.9 yards per game.

The Spartans' defense, though, has been a major problem. Michigan State has allowed 460.8 yards and 37.4 points per game in their five losses.

"We're not as mentally tough as we need to be. You've got to do something positive to gain confidence," coach John L. Smith said, "and we haven't been able to do that."

In addition to hurting Penn State's chances of winning the Big Ten, the Spartans can become bowl-eligible by beating the Nittany Lions.

"This season, one game would definitely help," Smith said. "It would salvage something."

The Spartans are 9-1 against top 10 teams since 1997, including a 44-41 overtime win over then-No. 10 Notre Dame on Sept. 17.

The Nittany Lions are 12-4 the week after byes since 1994. Michigan State leads the series 11-10-1, including 7-3 at East Lansing. but Penn State has won four of the last five meetings overall.

AP NEWS

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

#8 vs. #11

Wow...what a difference a week makes...

Alabama...undefeated...

Auburn...looking at another loss...

bam...

Alabama loses...

Auburn upsets Georgia...

and we've got one freakin' whippersnapper of a game...

And the beat goes on...

should be a great game...advantage Auburn at home...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Auburn vs. Alabama

Preview Alabama Crimson Tide Football Jersey
                          $49.99

Free Shipping

GAME: Alabama at Auburn
                          TIME: 03:30 P.M. EST
                          VENUE: Jordan-Hare Stadium

Auburn celebrated a stunning victory over Georgia last week, and a win against archrival Alabama at home Saturday can clinch a share of the SEC West title for the Tigers.

Unfortunately, beating the hated Crimson Tide won't be enough to guarantee Auburn a return trip to the conference title game.

The No. 11 Tigers (8-2, 6-1) face an eighth-ranked Tide squad (9-1, 6-1) struggling to score points in the 70th edition of the Iron Bowl at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Auburn's late-season surge continued last week, as the Tigers upset then-No. 9 Georgia 31-30 at Athens. The wild game came down to another crazy play, as Devin Aromashodu went 62 yards with a fourth-down pass to set up John Vaughn's 20-yard field goal with 6 seconds left.

The victory in the 109th chapter of the SEC's oldest rivalry was Auburn's third straight win overall. The Tigers' dreams of a berth in the SEC title game, though, took a major blow before the kickoff - courtesy of Alabama.

The Tide lost to LSU 16-13 in overtime shortly before the Auburn-Georgia game started, putting the Bayou Bengals in control of the division race. LSU needs to beat SEC West weaklings Mississippi and Arkansas to earn a trip to Atlanta for the title game on Dec. 3.

The winner of Saturday's Iron Bowl can get into that game only if LSU loses once against a pair of teams that are a combined 6-12. LSU plays at Ole Miss at 7:45 p.m. EST Saturday, a kickoff that should come not long after Alabama and Auburn finish their game that starts at 3:30.

LSU topped Auburn 20-17 in overtime on Oct. 22, a defeat that was sealed when Vaughn's 39-yard field-goal attempt hit the left upright.

"We had our shot at them and we didn't beat them," Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said.

So Tuberville may have to be satisfied with a shot at knocking off Auburn's biggest rival. The Tigers were hoping Alabama would remain unbeaten, setting up a head-to-head showdown for the West crown.

Instead, the teams will take their frustrations out on each other in one of college football's most intense and storied rivalries. For the Tide, they have to be hoping to quickly rediscover their scoring touch in a matchup of offenses that are going in different directions.

Despite the presence of quarterback Brodie Croyle and tailback Kenneth Darby, Alabama has only two offensive touchdowns in its last four SEC games. The Tide haven't scored more than 17 points in those contests.

"We've got to get something going," Darby said. "We can't be mediocre going against Auburn."

Injuries to receiver Tyrone Prothro and center JB Closner, as well as a young offensive line and receiving corps, appear to finally be taking a toll on Alabama.

Those shortcomings were magnified last weekend.

Alabama failed to gain a first down on six of its drives against LSU, including its possession in overtime. Bobbled snaps, errant throws and dropped passes were among the afflictions.

"All it really boils down to is certain people lose their focus and do crazy things or miss an assignment," Darby said.

Auburn has had no such problems on offense.

Despite losing star quarterback Jason Campbell and tailbacks Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown, who powered the team to a 13-0 mark last season, to the NFL, the Tigers rank first in scoring and total offense in the SEC. They're second in rushing and fourth in passing, likely a product of a veteran offensive line that includes three juniors and two seniors starting.

Kenny Irons hardly played in the first two games but leads the league in rushing with 1,102 yards.

"The biggest thing is Kenny has grown up," Tuberville said, "but it starts with the offensive line."

Quarterback Brandon Cox, who threw the long pass to Aromashodu on fourth-and-10 to set up the winning score against Georgia, has come on to become the SEC's No. 3 passer. He's thrown only three interceptions in his last eight games.

Auburn is looking for its fourth straight win against Alabama, which leads the series 38-30-1.

AP NEWS

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

GAME OF THE WEEK

#9 vs. #17

No...it's not the game with the most implications...

but it is the biggest rivalry in college football...

4 of the last 5 victors have had a record worse than their opponant.

It's at the big house...

a Michigan win?

No fucking way...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

OSU win combined with a Penn State loss give the title to OSU...

MichiCRAP win combined with a Penn State loss gives the title to...

fucking MichiSHIT...

bowl implications?

yeah...I think so...

Comment

Working...