• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cathedral
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Ya know what pisses me off?

Election Year Advertising..........

I am thoroughly sick and tired of the Attacks going back and forth. the only time we here from either candidate anymore is when they are leveling charges against each other or defending something that was said about them.

Why is this allowed to continue?

In school politics it was usually the issues people discussed to gain support....But in the BIG TIME WASHINGTON ARENA the issues are summerized with the major points being made about the opponent in attack format.

I say stand before the people and state your ideas and leave each other alone. Attack Ads are insulting to the public and childish.

I dunno, I expect more from the people that want my vote, shouldn't we all?
  • Mr Grimsdale
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

I think those days in politics are long gone.

The sort of politician that presented their ideas and discussed issues without resorting to party politics has pretty much been killed off in the UK and I would guess in the US too. It is all about media soundbites these days.
    Originally posted by flappo
    i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
    translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• Cathedral
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

Yep, and i find it amazing how the people who do the voting don't seem to stand up against that kind of thing.
      The Majority of Americans despise this kind of campaigning and it is well know that it is un-popular....But on and on it goes...

When the idea of an electorate was designed they had the right idea.

Comment

• John Ashcroft
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

So analyzing Kerry's voting record in the Senate is off limits?

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by John Ashcroft
          Apparently so. Nobody in the Democratic party paid attention to any of his votes after the 12/12/00 coup, or they never would have voted for the waffling PNAC supporting bastard.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• High Life Man
            Commando
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
            It is all about media soundbites these days.
            Sadly, that is all the masses are able to process.

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

HLM - Exactly!

The press cater for the lowest common denominator because that's what sells advertising space.

Sad but true.

...there's a song in there somewhere.
              Originally posted by flappo
              i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
              translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• Cathedral
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

That's not what i'm saying at all...The media can do whatever they want to get the "FACTS" to the viewers. All i'm saying is that the Candidates should be focused more on "THEIR" plan as President and not each others records.
                It's all there for those who are interested in the process. we the people don't need to be hit over the head with it when there are little "FACTS" to the accusations they make.

In other words, they shouldn't be pointing fingers, they should be campaigning on "THEIR OWN" agenda.

I was well aware of Kerry's voting record long before he decided to run for Office...see what i mean?

Comment

• John Ashcroft
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2004

But when a candidate is saying in their campaign that they are going to do a better job at X, Y, and Z then the incumbant, it's entirely appropriate to counter with the candidates past voting record in regards to X, Y, and Z.

In otherwords, show the public this guy's full of shit by using his own words and votes against him.

The public already knows the Bush admin's plan for America (no comment needed Ford) as it's in place. Kerry's saying it's a miserable failure by using distortions and outright lies as his support. He then goes on to say things like "I'm all about defense", and "I'm all about tax cuts" while his voting record shows differently.

To me, voting records should pretty much occupy a majority of any debate when deciding between two incumbants (a Pres. and a Senator).

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
                    I think those days in politics are long gone.

The sort of politician that presented their ideas and discussed issues without resorting to party politics has pretty much been killed off in the UK and I would guess in the US too. It is all about media soundbites these days.
                    Yes. Your average voter doesn't pay attention to anything in the US. It's all based on slogans and sound bites. I would imagine its no different elsewhere.
                    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• steve
                      Sniper
                      • Feb 2004

Has politics ever been different?

The nature of the beast is a bit ugly, to say the least.

What the American political system needs right now are ANSWERS on how to fix it - and those answers are very tricky.

For instance, with regards to campaign finance reform...

Let's say that all campaign financing goes public -thus, in theory taking out the PAC middlemen that are ru[i]n[n]ing our political process.

However, then comes the (exponentially growing) phenomenon of interest groups throwing on their own advertisements to sway public opinion.
                      -Public opinion is swayed in x or y direction.
                      -Cantidate a or b follows that opinion in order to get elected.

Some would argue that curtailing these interest groups from advertising (after all, it's only their opinion...) is a curtailing of freedom of speech.

Comment

• Cathedral
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

But when a candidate is saying in their campaign that they are going to do a better job at X, Y, and Z then the incumbant, it's entirely appropriate to counter with the candidates past voting record in regards to X, Y, and Z.

In otherwords, show the public this guy's full of shit by using his own words and votes against him.

The public already knows the Bush admin's plan for America (no comment needed Ford) as it's in place. Kerry's saying it's a miserable failure by using distortions and outright lies as his support. He then goes on to say things like "I'm all about defense", and "I'm all about tax cuts" while his voting record shows differently.

To me, voting records should pretty much occupy a majority of any debate when deciding between two incumbants (a Pres. and a Senator).
                        LOL, I see your point...I guess i'm either wrong or corrected here.
                        To me, I just think the attack parts and how they go about getting their message across could be altered. It just gets nasty and at this point it is all pretty numbing.

Comment

• Switch84
                          Veteran
                          • Feb 2004

No staying power

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                          Yes. Your average voter doesn't pay attention to anything in the US. It's all based on slogans and sound bites. I would imagine its no different elsewhere.
                          Damn! You're so right on that one, BBB! Most people don't have the attention span to read microwave popcorn instructions, much less getting the whole kit & kaboodle on a candidate!

Heaven help us!

LMAO
                          "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
                          Blackflag on DLR

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Hey baby!

Comment

• Big Train
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

It's a simple thing made very complex by all sort of things that don't belong in there. A debate SHOULD be about asking point blank questions and getting point blank, dead in the eye answers (thats enough shooting metaphors for tonight).

The problem is you have to take into account all the people who compose the army that got you where you are. In each issue, something stays and something goes if you anwser honestly. If the something that has to go is part of your base, you can't say that outright, or you'll piss them off. Thats true for Dems, Republicans, Greens...

Then you throw in the news organizations with their "experts" who just can't shut the fuck up. People get turned off to it cause they just want to hear where you stand, right or wrong. The soundbite is all they can process, cause it gives a quick statement you can chew on as you drive to work. In a real sense, the commericals ARE the debate. Which is a horrible thing, but since nobody REALLy cares enough to change it, nothing changes.

Comment

Working...