PDA

View Full Version : What the fuck is the deal with all the Classic Rock Songs used in Commercials?

Unchainme
11-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Ok, I Turn on the tv to hear "I can see for Miles" by the who truly one of the gratest songs of the 60's psychedalic era used in a FUCKING CAR COMMERCIAL. Other commercial are using Led Zep and Aerosmith now. Sorry I just can't take it anymore there cheapening the legacy of these grate songs by putting them next to some Luxary car.

Anyone else pissed off about this?

Terry
11-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Pissed off, but not surprised.

Precious few bands who WOULDN'T sell out in a heartbeat if Madison Ave came calling. Sad but true.

Think I've heard Dream On used on ads for at least three different products now. It's like, dudes, do you really need the fucking money THAT bad? All I can figure is that some of these guys are getting on a bit, aren't selling records like they used to and see it as an easy way to generate some quick revenue.

Mr. Vengeance
11-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Rock songs have been used forever in commercials, even before they became classic rock. Jim Morrison used to go crazy that Light My Fire was sold to use in a car commercial back in the late 60's. I can't recall if it was for Ford or Chrysler.

rustoffa
11-22-2005, 08:54 PM
There was some car commercial awhile back that featured Devo's "Uncontrollable Urge."

Somebody way up on the advertising chain must be a big fan.....fucking obscure song usage right there.

It'd be grate if they busted out "Cold As Ice" in a PMS pill commercial.

Mr. Vengeance
11-22-2005, 08:57 PM
A recent car commercial in Canada has been using the Buzzcocks "Why Can't I Touch It?"...A song I love but didn't think anyone else cared about.

Full Bug
11-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa

It'd be grate if they busted out "Cold As Ice" in a PMS pill commercial.
Great idea, LOL....:D
They have been using KI$$ songs in commercials here recently, like thats a big shock though....

Matt White
11-23-2005, 01:45 AM
No longer pissed off......

Most of those songs are 30-35 years old.......

It's not like somebody is using "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for deodorant commercials.........yet

Mr. Vengeance
11-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
No longer pissed off......

Most of those songs are 30-35 years old.......

It's not like somebody is using "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for deodorant commercials.........yet

That skank whore Courtney will sell Nirvana tunes off for ads as soon as she needs another dose of smack.

twonabomber
11-23-2005, 10:38 AM
it works once, so they go back to the well again.

GM must be using the same ad agency for all its brands...after Zep and Aeroshit, they used the Clash for Pontiac commercials. real creative there, "hey, the Zeppelin commercials are popular, let's do it again!" morons.