What the fuck is the deal with all the Classic Rock Songs used in Commercials?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

What the fuck is the deal with all the Classic Rock Songs used in Commercials?

Ok, I Turn on the tv to hear "I can see for Miles" by the who truly one of the gratest songs of the 60's psychedalic era used in a FUCKING CAR COMMERCIAL. Other commercial are using Led Zep and Aerosmith now. Sorry I just can't take it anymore there cheapening the legacy of these grate songs by putting them next to some Luxary car.

Anyone else pissed off about this?
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Pissed off, but not surprised.

Precious few bands who WOULDN'T sell out in a heartbeat if Madison Ave came calling. Sad but true.

Think I've heard Dream On used on ads for at least three different products now. It's like, dudes, do you really need the fucking money THAT bad? All I can figure is that some of these guys are getting on a bit, aren't selling records like they used to and see it as an easy way to generate some quick revenue.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
      Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Rock songs have been used forever in commercials, even before they became classic rock. Jim Morrison used to go crazy that Light My Fire was sold to use in a car commercial back in the late 60's. I can't recall if it was for Ford or Chrysler.
      Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• rustoffa
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

There was some car commercial awhile back that featured Devo's "Uncontrollable Urge."

Somebody way up on the advertising chain must be a big fan.....fucking obscure song usage right there.

It'd be grate if they busted out "Cold As Ice" in a PMS pill commercial.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
          Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

A recent car commercial in Canada has been using the Buzzcocks "Why Can't I Touch It?"...A song I love but didn't think anyone else cared about.
          Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Full Bug
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa

It'd be grate if they busted out "Cold As Ice" in a PMS pill commercial.
            Great idea, LOL....
            They have been using KI$$ songs in commercials here recently, like thats a big shock though....
            Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

No longer pissed off......

Most of those songs are 30-35 years old.......

It's not like somebody is using "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for deodorant commercials.........yet

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                No longer pissed off......

Most of those songs are 30-35 years old.......

It's not like somebody is using "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for deodorant commercials.........yet
                That skank whore Courtney will sell Nirvana tunes off for ads as soon as she needs another dose of smack.
                Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

it works once, so they go back to the well again.

GM must be using the same ad agency for all its brands...after Zep and Aeroshit, they used the Clash for Pontiac commercials. real creative there, "hey, the Zeppelin commercials are popular, let's do it again!" morons.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...