• Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Bush's Mad Plans To Bomb Aljazeera TV In Qatar

ThisIsLondon.com
    11-22-5

There were calls for Downing Street to publish the transcript of a conversation between Tony Blair and US President George Bush, amid claims that the Prime Minister persuaded Mr Bush not to launch a military strike on a TV station in a friendly Arab state.

According to unnamed sources quoted in the Daily Mirror, the memo - stamped Top Secret - records Mr Bush suggesting that he might order the bombing of Al-Jazeera's studios in Qatar.

'Blair talked Bush out of bombing'

And it allegedly details how Mr Blair argued against an attack on the station's buildings in the business district of Doha, the capital city of Qatar, which is a key ally of the West in the Persian Gulf.

Al-Jazeera had sparked the anger of the US administration by broadcasting video messages from al Qaida head Osama bin Laden and leaders of the insurgency in Iraq, as well as showing footage of the bodies of US servicemen and Iraqi civilians killed in fighting.

According to the Mirror's source, the transcript records a conversation during Mr Blair's visit to the White House on April 16 last year, in the wake of a failed attempt to root out insurgents in the city of Fallujah, in which 30 US Marines died.

A spokesman for 10 Downing Street refused to discuss the leaked memo.

But former defence minister Peter Kilfoyle - a leading Labour opponent of the Iraq War - called for the document to be made public.

"I believe that Downing Street ought to publish this memo in the interests of transparency, given that much of the detail appears to be in the public domain," he told the Press Association.

"I think they ought to clarify what exactly happened on this occasion. If it was the case that President Bush wanted to bomb al-Jazeera in what is after all a friendly country, it speaks volumes and it raises questions about subsequent attacks that took place on the press that wasn't embedded with coalition forces."

Liberal Democrat foreign affairs spokesman Sir Menzies Campbell told PA: "If true, then this underlines the desperation of the Bush administration as events in Iraq began to spiral out of control. On this occasion, the Prime Minister may have been successful in averting political disaster, but it shows how dangerous his relationship with President Bush has been."

This is London magazine has been established for over 65 years, providing readers with information about events, exhibitions, music, concerts, theatre and dining. As life returns to normal, Londoners are heading back into the Capital and many visitors are already coming from further afield.

• Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

I know, it's your favorite media source, isn't it?

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Considering how many journalists have already been "accidentally" killed in this illegal war, this doesn't surprise me at all.

God help this country recover from what this fucking piece of shit has done to our nation's honor and reputation.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Yeah, we sure wouldn't want those terrorists to think poorly of us.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

How about the Italians? One of their Secret Service agents was assassinated in an attempt to kill a journalist who had the scoop on the Italian connection to the forged "Niger uranium" documents.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

The French and Germans didn't like us before 2003, so they don't matter. Hussein was lining their pockets with green anyway.

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
              Veteran
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Warham
              The French and Germans didn't like us before 2003, so they don't matter. Hussein was lining their pockets with green anyway.

Earth to WARHAM........NOBODY likes the United States Government anymore............Very few liked it in the first place. And people like you exemplify the reasons.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Shit, sorry for the dupe.

Had no idea HR69 had beat me to it.
                Originally posted by Kristy
                Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                Originally posted by cadaverdog
                I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

I figured you must have seen this thread...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                    I figured you must have seen this thread...
                    Gimme a break.

I screw off 16 hours a day

So many Bush Fuck-ups, only so many hours in the day.

I can't keep up with all of 'em.

Next we'll be reading about Cheney headlining a fundraiser for Hot Tub Tom DeLay..............

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Huffington Post:
                      (11/22/05) by Jeremy Scahill

The U.S. military has killed more than a dozen journalists in Iraq and the Pentagon has ruled all of those that it has investigated either accidents or justified killings. Among the "mistakes" that Al- Jazeera has endured: the U.S. bombing of the network's Afghanistan offices in 2001, the killing of its Baghdad correspondent, Tareq Ayoub, by a U.S. missile during the siege of Baghdad in 2003 and the torture of several of its journalists in Iraq.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Is that good or bad ??

Hahaha...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Two appear in court over leaked Bush memo

Richard Norton-Taylor and Julia Day
                          Tuesday November 29, 2005

Two men appeared in court today charged with violating the Official Secrets Act over the leak of a document that reportedly detailed a private conversation between George Bush and Tony Blair where they allegedly discussed bombing al-Jazeera TV.
                          Former parliamentary researcher Leo O'Connor pleaded not guilty to "receiving a document through its disclosure without lawful authority from a crown servant".

David Keogh, a former cabinet office communications officer, did not make any plea. He is charged with "making a damaging disclosure of a document relating to international relations without lawful authority".

The offences are alleged to have taken place between April 16 and May 28 2004.

Speaking outside Bow Street magistrates court in London, Neil Clark, the lawyer defending Mr O'Connor, said his client was shocked when he learned he was to be prosecuted, more than a year after he was first arrested.

The charges are allegedly related to a memo of a conversation between Tony Blair and George Bush in April last year in the course of which the president is reported to have suggested bombing the headquarters in Qatar of the Arabic TV station al-Jazeera.

The two men were arrested in April 2004 but only charged on November 17 this year. Asked outside the court about the delay, Mr Clark yesterday pointed out that any prosecution under the secrets act needed the consent of the attorney general, Lord Goldsmith.

Prosecutor Rosemary Fernandes asked the court to remand the two men on bail on condition that they do not have any direct or indirect contact with each other and that neither leaves the country.

Mr O'Connor is a former parliamentary researcher for ex-Labour MP Tony Clarke and allegedly gave the memo to his former boss. Mr Clarke says he returned it to Downing Street.

The pair will reappear at Bow Street on January 10 for a committal hearing.

The Daily Mirror, citing unidentified sources, claimed the document reveals that Mr Blair argued against Mr Bush's suggestion of bombing al-Jazeera's headquarters in Doha, Qatar. The newspaper said its sources disagreed over whether it was a serious suggestion.

In a written parliamentary question, last week, Plaid Cymru MP Adam Price asked Mr Blair "what information you received on action that the United States administration proposed to take against the al-Jazeera television channel".

The prime minister replied: "None."

White House spokesman Scott McClellan called the newspaper's claims "outlandish and inconceivable".

The attorney general, Lord Goldsmith has warned media outlets not to publish the memo's contents, citing the Official Secrets Act.

FUNNY THING IS, TEAM BUSH WENT PUBLIC CLAIMING THIS WAS BULLSHIT, SO HOW CAN THEY BE CHARGED WITH LEAKING A MEMO THAT DOESNT EXIST ACCORDING TO THE WHITE[WASH] HOUSE?

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
                            Earth to WARHAM........NOBODY likes the United States Government anymore............Very few liked it in the first place. And people like you exemplify the reasons.
                            Good. Fuck off.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                              Yeah, just don't leave out the fact that the FRENCH sent a substantial number of troops to AFGHANSTAN...

And plenty of Americans wallets were filled with IRAQI dough. I guess it was okay to deal with the devil before he tried to take our oil in 1990...

Comment

Working...