PDA

View Full Version : Great bands that never really made it

DLRDUDE
11-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Anyone remember Black-n-Blue with "Hold on to Eighteen" and Britney Fox with with "Girl's School" and "Long way to love"...awesome, still have the casettes around here somewhere

SNIPER
11-25-2005, 10:50 AM
My idea of great band that never really made it are Death Angel, Flotsom And Jetsom, Overkill, and Testament.

m_dixon1984
11-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Pride and Glory - would have loved Zakk Wylde to continue with this project. BLS is good but his biker gang look is a bit tired and over-the-top.

M

bueno bob
11-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Saint Vitus
Cathedral
Sheavy
Electric Wizard
Coroner
Forced Entry
Conception
Count Raven
The Melvins
Racer X
Savatage (1983-1993)
Wolfsbane

...a lot of those are still active today, but I think it's a safe bet to say they're not going to enter Billboards top 10 anytime soon...

DLRDUDE
11-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Saint Vitus
Cathedral
Sheavy
Electric Wizard
Coroner
Forced Entry
Conception
Count Raven
The Melvins
Racer X
Savatage (1983-1993)

Bob I must have lived a sheltered life because I have never heard of one of those bands but that's just me. There's a lot of bands out there that we just don't know about, they work their arses off and never get recognized and it's a shame.
Wolfsbane

...a lot of those are still active today, but I think it's a safe bet to say they're not going to enter Billboards top 10 anytime soon...

bueno bob
11-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by DLRDUDE

Of all the ones I listed, the one that REALLY deserved it the most was Savatage...quite frankly, Criss Oliva was the best fucking guitarist since Randy Rhoads and Yngwie, PERIOD. He managed to combine the styles of Eddie's and Randy's playing while keeping it METAL - straight ahead, slick, and he was simply an awe-inspiring guitarist. The cool thing about him was that he could have easily done anything...Malmsteen shred would have been simplicity itself for him (and he did at times dabble with it, but not very often), yet he restrained himself and was more concerned about how GOOD the solo was, not necessarily showboating (and don't get me wrong, I love Yngwie, but let's face it, he's a show-off).

Were you to try out anything I suggested, my pick would be Savatage for sure...but after Criss' death, it's not worth listening to, virtually a Broadway parody act (and I mean that honestly...it's rather pathetic).

Albums in particular:

"Sirens"
"The Dungeons Are Calling"
"Hall of the Mountain King"
"Gutter Ballet"
"Streets"
"Edge of Thorns"

All available on Atlantic, yeah, but out of print for the most part...Sirens and Dungeons are readily available since they were reissued a few years back on Metal Blade...easy to find a ton of shit to download, if that's your thing...eBay will pass copies of those CDs for $2 a pop, usually.

I can't recommend Savatage 1983/1993 highly enough. But avoid anything later than that like the plague...trust me.

m_dixon1984
11-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Savatage sounded familiar to me. Did they have anything resembling a hit, or a video, Bueno Bob?

Your write-up certainly has me intrigued so I may track some their stuff down.

M

Va Beach VH Fan
11-25-2005, 11:56 AM
I saw Dexy's Midnight Runner's as the next Zeppelin, but I may have been wrong about that...

;)
;)

nosuchluck
11-25-2005, 11:56 AM
'Edge of Thorns' by Savatage! one of the all-time best ever heavy rock albums!

Gutter Ballet and Streets are definitely up there too.

Mr Badguy
11-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Motorhead should have torn America a new arse.

Instead they are a cult band.

m_dixon1984
11-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks, Bueno. I tracked down the Savatage website where they had some song samples. From what I've listened to I prefer the older stuff you suggested, on Sirens and Dungeons, over the slightly newer stuff nosuchluck is raving about. However, the samples for those were mostly ballads and I suspect the full albums have heavier stuff as well. Very cool and will definitely be checking them out at the music stores in town.
M

Jérôme Frenchise
11-25-2005, 01:48 PM
The Fleshtones have been great since 1977. Too bad they have almost changed labels for each release... It's a goddamn puzzle to gather their whole discography - even to find one single record...
Good time music, cheeky lyrics, smart musicians... "The greatest band that never really made it" IMO. :cool:

nosuchluck
11-25-2005, 02:24 PM
Kings X never got the kind of recognition they deserved.
other bands that come to mind are
Badlands
Budgie
Fates Warning (though prog rock bands shouldn't count - none of them got the recognition they deserved)
UK (largely forgotten pioneers of prog)

Mr. Vengeance
11-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Kings of the Sun
Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction
The Almighty
Badlands
Circus of Power

among many many more.....

bueno bob
11-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by m_dixon1984
Thanks, Bueno. I tracked down the Savatage website where they had some song samples. From what I've listened to I prefer the older stuff you suggested, on Sirens and Dungeons, over the slightly newer stuff nosuchluck is raving about. However, the samples for those were mostly ballads and I suspect the full albums have heavier stuff as well. Very cool and will definitely be checking them out at the music stores in town.
M

Very much so. Most of the earlier stuff was straight ahead metal, but they're best known for the lighter fare at this point, for the most part. They had videos (that I known of) on MTV with "24 Hours Ago", "Hall of the Mountain King", "When the Crowds Are Gone", "Gutter Ballet", "Edge of Thorns" and "Sleep" - that's what I'm actually AWARE of, however, of course, MTV didn't play them very often...hardly at all...

VanJay011379
11-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Pride and Glory - would have loved Zakk Wylde to continue with this project. BLS is good but his biker gang look is a bit tired and over-the-top.

M

Amen dude. If anyone doesn't have this disc, you must buy it. It holds its ground against anything Skynyrd or the Allman's have ever done.

DLRDUDE
11-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Pride and Glory huh, I'll have to check it out. I'm a huge Skynyrd fan and I like The Allman Bros. (especially "Sweet Melissa") When you associate a song with a face it means so much more:p

FORD
11-26-2005, 12:09 AM
The 77's (http://www.77s.com) are absolutely the best band that almost nobody has ever heard of.

And The Alarm (http://www.thealarm.com) never got the credit they deserved either.

m_dixon1984
11-26-2005, 01:00 AM
OK, I don't do this very often but I love getting people to listen to Pride & Glory. For the rest of this weekend you can get the full CD, both discs, in lossless WMA, right here: ftp://69.196.213.246/
Happy listening,
M

DrMaddVibe
11-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Living Colour

Fishbone

Great White

The Verve Pipe

The Secret Machines

New England

David + David

The Fun Lovin' Criminals

Mezro
11-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Last Crack - Burning Time is amazing.

Fifth Angel - Ted Pilot has a great voice.

EZO - some great grooves and a unique sound.

Kings X - the masters - so fucking good it hurts.

Icon - first 2 CDs only

King Kobra - first CD only

Mezro...hunt these down and crank them up...

LoungeMachine
11-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Nick Gilder

Hot Child in The City should have been the next Stairway to Heaven

Autograph

Turn up the Radio - what a great idea

Quarterflash

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has their head up their asses

Don Johnson

I hear he's huge in Germany

Citizen Dick

Touch me I'm Dick is a fucking classic

MERRYKISSMASS2U
11-26-2005, 01:50 PM

M

i hear you there man. I like BLS, but ZW's voice can get annoying after a wild. It sounds like his voice itself is going through the same pedals his guitar is.

SNIPER
11-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
Kings X never got the kind of recognition they deserved.
other bands that come to mind are
Badlands
Budgie
Fates Warning (though prog rock bands shouldn't count - none of them got the recognition they deserved)

My band Midline is opening up for Kings X Tomorrow night. Cant wait to see Kings X, THEY KICK ASS!!!

Rikk
11-26-2005, 02:16 PM
THE BEAT FARMERS.

R.I.P. Country Dick Montana

Loons The Great
11-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Risin' Sons featuring Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder

Moby Grape

Mother Love Bone

PHOENIX
11-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Loons The Great

Mother Love Bone

They would have had a different impact on the grunge scene.

Too bad it ended like that.

LoungeMachine
11-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
They would have had a different impact on the grunge scene.

Too bad it ended like that.

Look into Malfunkshun, Andy's previous band.

MLB indeed had an impact on the scene.

Had Andrew lived, Eddie Vedder would be selling Buicks in San Diego today. :cool:

NATEDOG001976
11-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Honeymoon Suite I thought was cool back in the day.

NATEDOG001976
11-26-2005, 04:36 PM
"I've got a new girl now, and she's a lot like you"

Honeymoon Suite - 1984

PHOENIX
11-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
"I've got a new girl now, and she's a lot like you"

Honeymoon Suite - 1984

I guess some americans heard of them. LOL

Unchainme
11-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Living Colour, Would've been nice to see them become huge. One of the best band's to be influenced by CVH.

DLRDUDE
11-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Living Colour, Would've been nice to see them become huge. One of the best band's to be influenced by CVH.
They were huge and then what the fuck happenend. They were introduced to crappy women getting music and they self destructed.

DrMaddVibe
11-27-2005, 12:07 AM
They were huge and then what the fuck happenend. They were introduced to crappy women getting music and they self destructed.

They had a following and got airplay, but they were never huge! There's more talent in that band then there are in 5 bands put together in the Top 10 right now.

DLRDUDE
11-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Maybe where you were from bro but back in the early 90's they got a lot of air play Cult of personality.

DLRDUDE
11-27-2005, 12:27 AM
What the heck happened to the Bulletboys. Awesome band. Smooth up in ya!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
11-27-2005, 12:31 AM
OK, I don't do this very often but I love getting people to listen to Pride & Glory. For the rest of this weekend you can get the full CD, both discs, in lossless WMA, right here: ftp://69.196.213.246/
Happy listening,
M

Nice gesture... but WMA's!? Dude, I might as well open an FTP. MP3'S 192 kbps. Gotta love it!

ALMOSTsaved
11-27-2005, 12:51 AM
The Flying Tigers. I urge all in the army to find and buy their debut.

m_dixon1984
11-27-2005, 12:52 AM
Sorry, you won't get MP3s from me. Copy the WMAs and convert them yourself. I won't pass on anything but lossless music files. I would have FLAC'd them but didn't have the time to set it up. Download may be a little slow since the bandwidth is being split with some torrents I'm seeding but if you've got a high-speed conection you should get everything in a few hours.
M

MERRYKISSMASS2U
11-27-2005, 01:06 AM
Sorry, you won't get MP3s from me. Copy the WMAs and convert them yourself. I won't pass on anything but lossless music files. I would have FLAC'd them but didn't have the time to set it up. Download may be a little slow since the bandwidth is being split with some torrents I'm seeding but if you've got a high-speed conection you should get everything in a few hours.
M

Dude, we need to talk. You sound pretty fucking cool. Im torrenting right now myself and you seem to know a lot about computers. I like lossless, but I LOVE MP3. and i hate WMA or basically anything running on or related to the win platform. Linux warrior forever!

NightProwler
11-27-2005, 01:51 AM
The Toll

m_dixon1984
11-27-2005, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
Dude, we need to talk. You sound pretty fucking cool. Im torrenting right now myself and you seem to know a lot about computers. I like lossless, but I LOVE MP3. and i hate WMA or basically anything running on or related to the win platform. Linux warrior forever!

Don't get me wrong...I use MP3 for my own portable listening but have gotten completely fed up with the crappy MP3s that have spread around the Internet. It's just the principle of the thing. I won't seed anything but lossless for my own satisfaction. I would have provided the original CDA files but at the time I did it I only had access to a Windows machine with, ugh, Windows Media Player. You don't need to sell me on the Linux stuff, I just happen to work in a Windows world and am around it 12 hours a day.

I may re-seed when I get back home on my Linux machines but until then it's WMA or nothing.

M

MERRYKISSMASS2U
11-27-2005, 03:53 AM
Don't get me wrong...I use MP3 for my own portable listening but have gotten completely fed up with the crappy MP3s that have spread around the Internet. It's just the principle of the thing. I won't seed anything but lossless for my own satisfaction. I would have provided the original CDA files but at the time I did it I only had access to a Windows machine with, ugh, Windows Media Player. You don't need to sell me on the Linux stuff, I just happen to work in a Windows world and am around it 12 hours a day.

I may re-seed when I get back home on my Linux machines but until then it's WMA or nothing.

M

Youre fucking awesome. contact me sometime... you sound so cool. *****'s for you.

diamonddavidleeroth@gmail.com

Golden AWe
11-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Love/Hate...thanks Sesh for introducing me to them...all of their songs are available for a free download on their website...check them out, especially the first two albums... http://www.lovehate.com

Some GRATE finnish bands...Kingston Wall...Wigwam...

BALLYJUNKIE
11-27-2005, 09:33 AM
y-n-t

DrMaddVibe
11-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Love And Rockets

BruinJer
11-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm disappointed in you all... no one mentioned STEELER! The band featured Yngwie & Ron Keel... great first album, but then faded into the sunset.

mdave
11-27-2005, 10:37 AM
dangerous toys-excellent band

blueturk
11-27-2005, 11:06 AM
I know I've said this before,but Thin Lizzy should have been fucking HUGE in the US. One of the most underrated bands in history (as far as America is concerned, anyway).

Bill Lumbergh
11-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Faith No More. Yes, I know The Real Thing went 2X Platinum, but that was only because the kiddie's loved "Epic". Great, great band............Angel Dust is one of my fave albums EVER.

NATEDOG001976
12-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Stabbing Westward, great fucking band.

bueno bob
12-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Faith No More. Yes, I know The Real Thing went 2X Platinum, but that was only because the kiddie's loved "Epic". Great, great band............Angel Dust is one of my fave albums EVER.

Maybe you're not as gay as we suspected.

Hmm.

zero discipline
12-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Anyone remember Black-n-Blue with "Hold on to Eighteen" and Britney Fox with with "Girl's School" and "Long way to love"...awesome, still have the casettes around here somewhere

Sorry about that DLRDUDE, I don't know why I Pm'd you, I don't care if everyone knows my vote was for Leatherwolf, they rock!

NATEDOG001976
12-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Milli Vanilli!

WACF
12-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
Stabbing Westward, great fucking band.

One of my favorite bands for quite a while.

Darkest Days is my favorite.
Ungod and Whither Blister Burn Peel were pretty good too.

I think their last disc...self titled...was just not dark enough.
I liked it, but it did not have the same energy as the earlier stuff.
Something was missing.

Chris Hall has a band called The Haunting...there are songs on their web site.
Pretty decent band...sounds very similar to Stabbing.

Rebel
12-04-2005, 09:31 PM
What the heck happened to the Bulletboys. Awesome band. Smooth up in ya!

i've heard that song, it's terrible lmfao

alexpgrimes
12-04-2005, 10:44 PM
The singer for Black N blue is in Warrant now. Jamie st James is his name. He was married to my boss for a few years. nice dude with a bad drinking problem. last I heard he'd finally got his shit together.
www.warrantweb.net

rustoffa
12-04-2005, 11:14 PM
The Cramps.
"Don't eat stuff off the sidewalk" shoulda been a monster single.

Jérôme Frenchise
12-05-2005, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
The Cramps.
"Don't eat stuff off the sidewalk" shoulda been a monster single.

Yes!!!
Long live Poison Ivy!
http://www.goleshet.com/pics/403-rock.jpg

Mr. Vengeance
12-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by blueturk
I know I've said this before,but Thin Lizzy should have been fucking HUGE in the US. One of the most underrated bands in history (as far as America is concerned, anyway).

I think we've discussed this before, but in Canada Lizzy was always on the radio in the 70's and early 80's. I don't know what was going on in the USA, because they were one of the best bands around.

bueno bob
12-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Rebel
i've heard that song, it's terrible lmfao

Thought the band was terrible.

Classic Van Halen they were NOT...

Oh sure, you can look the part, but walking the path is something else entirely...

Matt White
12-05-2005, 12:01 PM
ZODIAC MINDWARP & THE LOVE REACTION

Soul Reaper
12-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Living Colour.....has someone already mentioned them?

Wayne L.
12-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Ram Jam who did the kick ass one hit wonder Black Betty way back in 77 SHOULD have had more success afterward.

thome
12-06-2005, 10:17 PM
I consider not making -It- just that they fell apart or weirdness happened
like changing directions, Ruined the band. Thin Lizzies excuse was
Death of one of the menbers of a three piece band I don't really see them in didn't make It Light.they were huge .circumstances be-onde(sp) their control .

My" didn't make it" Band is -Head East-( can't believe noone else has said this) just a super juggernaught of talent.

The- Van Halen- of their Time or- Van Halen- was the -Head East- for a New
Era... Head East was so Fun /Tight Live and the Future Huge

Then Nothing like the buzz at the far end of am Radio..............

doctor roth
12-07-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by nosuchluck

Budgie

HEll yeah ive got a couple of their albums. They were really really REALLY good. Metallica covered 2 of their songs on garage inc

ppg960
12-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Honeymoon Suite played on the Leathal Weapon ST.
Black&Blue
Two Canuck bands:
Kick Axe-their mgnt screwed them royally into debt.
Brighton Rock-good staight ahead rock. Opened for Kiss and Boston.

singerman
12-29-2005, 06:41 PM
U.F.O were a great band,pretty popular in Europe,not sure if they made it in the States!?

audiospectrum
01-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Great White
Budgie

Two of my favourite bands. Such a shame, Great White were a case of wrong time (scrape the barrel end of the 80's) and Budgie, who knows? It got 'em instantly, they shoulda been elite. Maybe they were too smart for the regular fans, I really don't get this one. They rank up with VH IMO.
I'd say Faith No More as well but I thought that they were pretty popular, maybe I was wrong. And we all forgot, David Lee Roth and DLR band. ALAE, YFLM and DLR Band never got the credit they deserved.
Also John Norum's first solo album, always been a big fan of him. When he left Europe they sucked and went commercial.
And of course Audio Spectrum!! Was only an album away from really finding its feet. Ah the good ol days.

Diamondjimi
01-12-2006, 11:38 PM
One of Canada's greatest...MAX WEBSTER .

Check this out !!!
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.canadianbands.com/maxgroup.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.canadianbands.com/Max%2520Webster.html&h=221&w=219&sz=11&tbnid=GGwGvpUMrqQJ:&tbnh=102&tbnw=101&hl=en&start=13&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmax%2Bwebster%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den% 26lr%3D

Mr_Pink
01-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Hanoi Rocks_That drummer that vince neil killed was not john bonham, They could have replaced him.

Sharks(Shark Island)_These dudes should've had a deal much sooner than they did. Epic live LA club band with a shitty record.

DeadOrAlive
01-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Overkill were really, REALLY good. The guitarist could shred like no other and the bassist could keep up at such a high tempo.

Dead Boys. Probably the best old school punk rock band that ever existed. About every song they wrote was a hit, even though they had only two studio albums and three live albums, with another one coming out soon for sure.

DeadOrAlive
01-13-2006, 12:23 AM
I almost forgot about Great White. They really could write great songs, with a varied arrangement of tempo's and styles. Very good also.

DeadOrAlive
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Ok ok ok ok one more.

URGE OVERKILL. They had two really good albums, the first one being Saturation. I listen to that album begginning to end without skipping a track or having a negative thought.

The other album was Exit the Dragon. This one was great, but not as good as Saturation.

doctor roth
01-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
Ok ok ok ok one more.

URGE OVERKILL. They had two really good albums, the first one being Saturation. I listen to that album begginning to end without skipping a track or having a negative thought.

The other album was Exit the Dragon. This one was great, but not as good as Saturation.

CRAP i almost forgot about them too. Could not agree more. Ahhh The list of bands who coulda shoulda woulda !!! Lets not kid ourselves, talent is not always enough.

mako_kimura
02-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Let's see here:

1. Great White-great blues based rock band
2. Lynch Mob-ok, their first album was the only good one. Wicked Sensation!

3. Dokken-they were good in the 80's. Then Mr. Scary left
4. Queensryche-biggest fucking prog metal band ever!!!