PDA

View Full Version : Journey "Live in Houston 1981" DVD

Mr Badguy
11-26-2005, 08:44 AM
I got this this morning although it doesn`t come out until Monday here in the UK.

This is classic Journey captured live by MTV during the "Escape" tour.

Some of the tracks already appear in the "Greatest hits" DVD.

The picture and sound quality are amazing.

Track list:

Escape
Line of fire
Lights
Stay awhile
Open arms
Mother, Father
Jonathan Cain solo
Who`s cryin` now
Where were you
Steve Smith solo
Dead or alive
Don`t stop believin`
Stone in love
Keep on runnin`
Neal Schon solo
Wheel in the sky
Lovin`, touchin`, squeezin`
Any way you want it

It also comes with an audio CD of the show which includes the bonus track "The party`s over (Hopelessly in love)".

It was produced by Steve Perry, totally independant of the current Journey line up, and the sound is a lot harder than I thought it would be, considering Perry`s production on "Raised on radio" and his solo albums.

Some of the audio also appeared on "Greatest hits live" but they`ve been totally remixed and sound different.

I think Perry has overdubbed some of the backing vocals as he sounds like he is backing himself up at times.

This is an amazing DVD and a must buy for any fans of the band.

PHOENIX
11-26-2005, 10:35 AM
I heard the album on the radio last week. Sounded pretty good. Nice to hear the video footage is just as good.

BITEYOASS
11-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Ain't buying no Cain Cheese DVD! If it was from either the Infinity, Evolution or Departure tours; then I would buy it.

BITEYOASS
11-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Cause Greg Rollie never wrote cheese.

DrMaddVibe
11-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Yeah, but this might spur interest in "other" arena tour bands to open up their vaults!

Mr Badguy
11-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
Ain't buying no Cain Cheese DVD! If it was from either the Infinity, Evolution or Departure tours; then I would buy it.

There`s nothing cheesey about this.

The only real big ballad style number is "Open arms" and it is one of the best.

The rest of it rocks out.

It ain`t the "Raised on radio" tour.

Mr Badguy
11-26-2005, 12:45 PM
I forgot the special features:

Band interviews from 1981.

TV promo for the "Escape" album.

Original TV closing credits.

Slideshow.

EbDawson
11-27-2005, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Yeah, but this might spur interest in "other" arena tour bands to open up their vaults!

Wouldn't get my hopes up.

Terry
11-27-2005, 09:43 PM
Perry had a great voice, and Neil could play, no doubt. Steve could drum...whole band were capable as musicians, but Journey just left me cold in the end because of the songwriting. Lyrics were just average. Song structures pedestrian.

Shame of that band for me was all that talent ended up putting out stuff that was pretty run-of-the-mill when all is said and done.

But it is funny how all these bands are putting out these old shows now on DVD...am sure Journey fans are gonna dig it. Why some bands run away from their past and others don't is odd.