PDA

View Full Version : The shittiest job you've ever had

Nitro Express
11-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Most of us have had to pay our dues. I used to reline industrial furnaces and driers. You know the smoke stacks on a stinky steel mill or smelter? I was the dude who replaced the fire brick in the furnace that made all the stink. Nasty. Running a 90lb jack hammer in 120 degree F heat in caustic sooty conditions.

Jahuli
11-29-2005, 02:18 AM
Sounds awesome, i dotn have a job, hahaa! except rockin!

jero
11-29-2005, 03:33 AM
Dishwasher at a beachbar, with 2 guys who did not speak one word Dutch.

Millermoos
11-29-2005, 05:26 AM
For me is not the job itself the problem but the people I am working with especially in management. In my current job they are a bunch of snakes the managers. My colleagues are cool but they don't last long, we have a really high turn over of stuff, people succumb easy to the managers who are bullies.I am the youngest and lasting member of stuff in here which is quite weird. When the managers try to give me trouble like they did to others, I just tell them to put it in writing so I can keep a record and after they always live me in peace.
Millermoos

Coyote
11-29-2005, 08:16 AM
My shittiest job so far has been mowing the lawns in town. Public parks, etc. Technically, it wasn't so bad, it's just that it was raining half the time... Well, worth the 200$ a week I got for it. Paid my rent in advance for a couple of months...

DavidLeeNatra
11-29-2005, 08:21 AM
cooking...for half a year...as a student during the summer...underpaid snd shit work...one day the air condition broke down and it was hotter than hell...

but I can cook some really good meals since then :D

PHOENIX
11-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Cleaning and repairing Photo booths in the Subway.

Fucking unbelievable things people did in them.

Mr. Vengeance
11-29-2005, 10:51 AM
I was a quality control taster for Cabo Wabo Tequila.....

DavidLeeNatra
11-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance

how deep can one sink...

CROWBAR
11-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance

Now that's a shitty job!:D

For me, it would be hanging drywall, Absolutely hated it! All the super fine particles always found a way into my eyes, regardless of wearing safety glasses. Shitty work in 90 plus degrees!

Jimmy Jingles
11-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Laying carpet one summer.

That job fucking sucked ass. Spreading glue, hanging base, gluing seams...sucked.

Mr. Vengeance
11-29-2005, 11:36 AM
In terms from real jobs, I took a job working in a convenience store one time. I lasted 4 days before I quit. Standing around for 8 hours a day waiting for people to come in and buy stuff. ...We couldn't even play the radio.

Jesus Christ
11-29-2005, 02:31 PM
I started working in My stepdad's carpentry business as a teenager, and took over the business when he died.

It wasn't bad though. At least I know what nails were meant for, which is more than I can say for the Romans!

Jérôme Frenchise
11-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ
I started working in My stepdad's carpentry business as a teenager, and took over the business when he died.

It wasn't bad though. At least I know what nails were meant for, which is more than I can say for the Romans!

What? I thought you died wearing pampers and yelling at the sky some 2,000 years ago... and you're still here telling about your teenage! How resistant! :eek:

The Scatologist
11-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Cleaning and repairing Photo booths in the Subway.

Fucking unbelievable things people did in them.

DETAILS PLEASE!

DavidLeeNatra
11-30-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
DETAILS PLEASE!

no...PICS!!!

Jérôme Frenchise
11-30-2005, 11:57 AM
During my second summer as a student, I worked at a wheat collecting center. There was a full-time employee in the company working there with me, but he was only there when there really were many farmers coming to deliver their wheat.
I had to measure damp and "specific gravity" and, when the other guy was away - as it more and more happened - I also had to weigh the tractors and their loads (and then without their loads), and fill in the forms. Sometimes, when the harvest reached its peak, there were up to 60 clients waiting for their turns on the road. It was so only for a few days and then it was much cooler.
I had several days' work (in a row) that lasted 17 hours... From 8 in the morning to 1:00 am. I came by bicycle, riding just 12 miles but with a steep hill (12%) right in the beginning. I was usually driven back home in the night.

The problem was, I'm allergic to wheat dust... It itched like going mad from head to toes, night and day. I got a shot when it started, but it was too late. Yet I had to go down to what they called "the cellar"... The wheat was put away up in the silo by an elevator. Sometimes, if you did a handling mistake, the elevator would stop. Then, you had to let all the wheat fall down into "the cellar". The rule was simple: whoever did the mistake had to go down into "the cellar", and shovel the 3 tons of wheat through a little trap, now that the elevator could work again... It took you hours; I did it twice, not once more! :D My allergy became unbearable.
I even had to enter the silo between harvests (that was barley first), to empty the barley at the bottom of the cells. I was dressed hermetically and wearing a mask. You hardly could see anything in there, there was so much dust flying. It was hell when I got out, I started scratching again twice as hard... :D

It surely was the shittiest job I had. Being a barman at the university felt like heaven after that (well, it was, anyway :)).

NATEDOG001976
12-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Proctologist.