Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Iraq War Vets running for Congress....as DEMOCRATS

6 Iraq war veterans running for Congress
    Question Bush strategy, policies
    By Kimberly Hefling, Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- While fighting in Iraq, a private asked Captain Patrick Murphy why US forces were in the Persian Gulf nation, and was told it didn't matter; there was a job to do and just try to return home safely.

''That wasn't the time to question our government," Murphy recalled.

Now, however, Murphy and five other veterans of the war are asking questions about President Bush's policies in Iraq as part of their broader Democratic campaigns to win congressional seats in next year's elections.

Given their experience in Iraq, the six Democrats -- in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Maryland, and Virginia -- say they are eminently qualified to pose the tough questions. Their reservations mirror public opinion, with an increasing number of Americans expressing concern about the mission and favoring a timetable for withdrawing US troops.

The most recent Associated Press-Ipsos poll indicated that only 37 percent of Americans approve of Bush's handling of Iraq, with 62 percent disapproving.

This summer, Paul Hackett, a Democrat and an Iraq war veteran, nearly defeated Jean Schmidt, a Republican, in a special election in an Ohio district considered a GOP stronghold.

On Monday, with support from Senator Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat who is the minority leader, Hackett decided to seek a higher office: the Senate seat now held by Mike DeWine, a two-term Republican.

''Some guys don't think it's time to question our government, but the fact is I love my country," said Murphy, 31, a lawyer who fought with the 82d Airborne Division. ''We need to have an exit strategy now."

Murphy is challenging Representative Mike Fitzpatrick, a first-term Republican in the northern Philadelphia suburbs of the Eighth District.

Another Iraq war veteran, Van Taylor, a Texas Republican, is also running for a House seat, but he backs Bush.

In 1974, public outrage over the Watergate scandal and President Richard M. Nixon's administration swept a class of Democrats seeking changes into office. It's too soon to measure the effect of the war on the 2006 elections, but the handful of veterans pursuing seats in the House is an early indicator.

The Democratic veterans walk a fine line as they reach out to voters who may question Bush's handling of the conflict. The task is to challenge the administration while still being seen as patriotic.

David Ashe, who spent most of 2003 as a Marine judge advocate general in Iraq, chooses his words when asked whether the United States should have invaded.

There's no reason to ''Monday morning quarterback the decision," said Ashe, 36, who is trying to unseat Representative Thelma Drake, a first-term Republican in Virginia's Second District.

©
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

No FUCKING link ??

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

I got your fucking link, right here bi-otch

LMMFAO

Gonna check it for commas ????

Comment

• Unchainme
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
        I got your fucking link, right here bi-otch

LMMFAO

Gonna check it for commas ????
        Correction:

Going to Check it for commas ????
        Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• DLR'sCock
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

I guess some people can't read Associated Press, and understand that means the story will be in many many many papers.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If you look at the Vietnam generation of veterans, you will note that the majority of those who have entered politics are Democrats. The Republicans have McCain & Chuck Hagel. Both of whom are considered "moderates" in this era of neocon shitbag extremism, BTW.

So it's not surprising at all that soldiers returning from an illegal and immoral war would want to get involved in the political system to insure that this kind of bullshit never happens again. And right now, the best way to ensure that is by taking back Congress.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DLR'sCock
              I guess some people can't read Associated Press, and understand that means the story will be in many many many papers.
              LMMFAO

You just know ELVIS was sitting there yelling NOOOOO at his screen going, "it can't be true, they must all be coming back swaddled in the flag, wanting to join the RNC, and hating those mean Democrats"

Lounge must be making this up, I know....I'l demand a LINK

Yeah, that's the ticket

Comment

• Big Train
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

What does it tell me? I see it as the current political "Angle" du jour. Going Dem and being against the war is fine, but that isn't all that there is to the job. But like most Dems, they don't know that, so good luck to them.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                  What does it tell me? I see it as the current political "Angle" du jour. Going Dem and being against the war is fine, but that isn't all that there is to the job. But like most Dems, they don't know that, so good luck to them.
                  Yeah, Dems have yet to learn how to properly take it in the ass from the corporate donors.

Comment

• Big Train
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Way to add to the discussion Nick...

There are plenty of Dems taking it up the ass from rich individuals my friend. Go to a Hollywood fundraiser sometime.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Way to add to the discussion Nick...

Uhuhuh! Low-brow I admit, but your insinuation that Dems as a whole govern less effectively? Well, very doubtful my friend...
                      Not after the corruption scandals we've seen involving mostly Repubs, especially that ex-fighter jock CUNNINGHAM. It's was a real shame to see him fall, he was, Like McCAIN, a first class war hero...

There are plenty of Dems taking it up the ass from rich individuals my friend. Go to a Hollywood fundraiser sometime.
                      Well, touche'. Yes, and you forgot that a big Dem donor, a self-made billionaire, was caught up in his own corruption scandal....

But I think these guys have a great deal of potential to affect real positive change...

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

What does that tell me?

I'll tell ya what it tells me.

It tells me that they needed a little window dressing to appeal to John Q Sixpack. In the same manner that Gore and Kerry "served".
                        http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                        http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Yeah Vibe, I', sure it has nothing whatsoever to do with their core beliefs, values, or what they experienced over there.

Isn't it funny how you feel the need to denegrate and devalue them for not choosing the side that planned and operated this war.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Yes, being Republican, is like, you know, sooo 5 minutes ago,I mean, my gawd.

Comment

• Big Train
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh

But I think these guys have a great deal of potential to affect real positive change...
                              That is what I'm saying. They have an opportunity, yes, but I don't see the ideas or will coming from the Dems that would actually deliver that potential. I just see these usual weak angles.

Comment

Working...