PDA

View Full Version : McCARTNEY HAD PLANNED TO REUNITE BEATLES

PHOENIX
12-07-2005, 12:46 PM
McCARTNEY HAD PLANNED TO REUNITE BEATLES

SIR PAUL McCARTNEY planned to reunite THE BEATLES a year before JOHN LENNON was murdered, according to a newly released record contract.

In a 1979 deal with CBS Records, McCartney claimed he could again make music with Lennon, GEORGE HARRISON and RINGO STARR under the banner of The Beatles.

Details of the $10.8 million (GBP6 million) contract have been released to coincide with the 25th anniversary of Lennon's death on 8 December 1980 later this week.

An industry insider comments, "This is the earliest evidence of any Beatle making formal overtures towards a reunion."

Lennon was shot by assassin MARK DAVID CHAPMAN outside his New York City apartment.

06/12/2005 02:28

fryingdutchman
12-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Damn....that's amazing.

What might have been....

Of course...would Lennon have gone for it?

As for George and Ringo....I've always seen them as "Michael Anthony" types...:D

Wayne L.
12-07-2005, 01:01 PM
I knew the Beatles were planning on possibly reuniting back in 79 because I THOUGHT it was going to happen myself since it was all the buzz around the end of the year & made headlines in my local paper at the time but it never happened.

DLR_EngineRoom
12-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
McCARTNEY HAD PLANNED TO REUNITE BEATLES

SIR PAUL McCARTNEY planned to reunite THE BEATLES a year before JOHN LENNON was murdered, according to a newly released record contract.

In a 1979 deal with CBS Records, McCartney claimed he could again make music with Lennon, GEORGE HARRISON and RINGO STARR under the banner of The Beatles.

Details of the $10.8 million (GBP6 million) contract have been released to coincide with the 25th anniversary of Lennon's death on 8 December 1980 later this week.

An industry insider comments, "This is the earliest evidence of any Beatle making formal overtures towards a reunion."

Lennon was shot by assassin MARK DAVID CHAPMAN outside his New York City apartment.

06/12/2005 02:28

yeah, and because of Yoko Oh No, there wasn't a 'next best thing' reunion with Julian Lennon, who not only sounds almost EXACTLY like his father, has the same guitar stylings too.

Yoko Oh No wouldn't have allowed that because it's Cynthia's son, not hers.

Sean Lennon has a shitty attitude, too. Had an album that came out in mid-late 90's, and some fans asked him to play some Beatles songs. His reply to them? "F*** OFF!"

thome
12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
I, Me,Mine, Have never been hit so Hard by a Death outside my own Family.

Not to this Day and probably never again .Rotten Deal .

The Beatles Would have reunited I am Possitive.I just Know this .

Van Halen .......?

bastardog
12-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by fryingdutchman

As for George and Ringo....I've always seen them as "Michael Anthony" types...:D

I agree with you on Ringo but I think George had a better carreer outside the Beatles than inside.
He was the first to came out with a solo album and made some really good songs. In the Beatles he was like MA but outside he was a best music man.......just my oppinion

Nickdfresh
12-07-2005, 01:56 PM
They would have done it I think, just to spite the STONES probably...

Vinnie Velvet
12-07-2005, 02:48 PM
It naturally would've been HUGE.

But, we'll never know.

spmusicplyr
12-07-2005, 02:52 PM
where did you get this article from

DavidLeeNatra
12-07-2005, 07:43 PM
am I the only one who gives a shit about the beatles and think they are highly overrated? sorry, thome but to me john lennon has always been one of the most annoying persons in the music history...taking himself much too serious and too important...same with bono nowadays..."you got a message? call western union..." dave nailed it...

FORD
12-08-2005, 03:00 AM
True story..... in fact they had actually started to write for the album. Some of the songs Lennon was writing ended up on Double Fantasy.

The band was even considering the title "Get Back" for the album, and Columbia was preparing promotional materials for what everyone there assumed would be a massive comeback.

Here's a promotional poster made for the occasion........

ELVIS
12-08-2005, 03:10 AM
Wow...

Is that real ??

fryingdutchman
12-08-2005, 04:19 AM
Cool stuff, FORD.

Jahuli
12-08-2005, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by FORD
True story..... in fact they had actually started to write for the album. Some of the songs Lennon was writing ended up on Double Fantasy.

The band was even considering the title "Get Back" for the album, and Columbia was preparing promotional materials for what everyone there assumed would be a massive comeback.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=789870

No way!
that cant be real!

Seshmeister
12-08-2005, 07:25 AM
So it would have been a cross between Double Fantasy and the Frog Chorus...

Nickdfresh
12-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Intreresting... Very much so. I was never a huge BEATLES fan, but I think a reunion would have been very productive and could only have improved the 80's...

thome
12-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
am I the only one who gives a shit about the beatles and think they are highly overrated? sorry, thome but to me john lennon has always been one of the most annoying persons in the music history...taking himself much too serious and too important...same with bono nowadays..."you got a message? call western union..." dave nailed it...

I dig your op an its cool but the head of the FBI called for a investigation and he was being deported just for being a musician
out front a celebrity so its not like,the Beatles and John
weren't on the front page.

Bono is a hack stealing Lennons Fire.

I also thought he was a Egotist yet played it to humble pie,fooling
some however I allways saw a geniune concern in his eyes and writeing
I dont at all think he wasn't concerned for the Human Condition.

However, again I rememmber in a Interview, He addmited
The second song on one of the beatles albums supposadly So
politically Important -He- John looked at Paul and said" C'mon
lets go write me a Swimming Pool "

I think he is sorely missed in the world of poety and music there will
always be a void.like a record skip not to bad but missed something...

Vinnie Velvet
12-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Wow, FORD.

Very cool.

But sad that it never came to be.

And more sad that it never will.

bueno bob
12-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra

No, you're not. Of course, SAYING anything about it this time of year is taking your life in your hands, but I agree fully - Lennon was one of the most annoying and overrated musicians ever. The Beatles, IMO, were probably the most overrated band in the history of the planet.

Not BAD musicians per se but nowhere near as special and talented as people seem to think - I won't deny that they were very influential as the worlds first official boy band and on occasion I have heard OK songs, but whatever genius people seem to see in Lennon/The Beatles en masse is totally lost on me...

Sorry.

bueno bob
12-08-2005, 10:55 AM
That being said, Wings was OK...as was George Harrison solo...

DavidLeeNatra
12-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
No, you're not. Of course, SAYING anything about it this time of year is taking your life in your hands, but I agree fully - Lennon was one of the most annoying and overrated musicians ever. The Beatles, IMO, were probably the most overrated band in the history of the planet.

Not BAD musicians per se but nowhere near as special and talented as people seem to think - I won't deny that they were very influential as the worlds first official boy band and on occasion I have heard OK songs, but whatever genius people seem to see in Lennon/The Beatles en masse is totally lost on me...

Sorry.

(with my best elvis-voice) thankyouverymuch...

PHOENIX
12-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Thats a pretty cool promo Ford.

Rikk
12-08-2005, 04:03 PM
BOB and DAVID LEE NATRA...

uh..

ah, forget it...

bueno bob
12-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Rikk

uh..

ah, forget it...

Yeah! That's right! :mad:

:)

Rikk
12-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Oh, go stroke your lightsaber...you son of a bitch.:mad:

Warham
12-08-2005, 04:08 PM
It would have never worked in the long run, and probably would have resulted in a mediocre album or two at best.

Nickdfresh
12-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Warham
It would have never worked in the long run, and probably would have resulted in a mediocre album or two at best.

Hey man, like no way man! They had all this pent up energy and were raring to go 'cause the STONES were king then and rock was missing something that the punks couldn't provide, they'd of had a good ten years and three or four albums and maybe would have had another reunion, but I guess we'll never know...

And fuck all you BONO-haters!:o :mad: :confused:

Warham
12-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Van Halen gave rock what it was missing. ;)

NATEDOG001976
12-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by fryingdutchman
Damn....that's amazing.

What might have been....

Of course...would Lennon have gone for it?

George was the man, Michael Anthony type? not really. He deserved more credit.

Nickdfresh
12-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Van Halen gave rock what it was missing. ;)

Ya' man, but one of few then new bands in that era that shone brightly...

DavidLeeNatra
12-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Rikk

uh..

ah, forget it...

foggeddaboudid :D

Terry
12-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Think the Beatles probably would have gotten back together at some point in the 1980s had Lennon not been killed.

Post-Beatles, just never cared for McCartney's stuff. Enjoy his 1970s work when I'm in the mood for cheese, up through and including his early 1980s stuff. Harrison benefitted most from the break-up. Ringo is Ringo. Always good for a laugh.

Lennon...definitely the most interesting Beatle to me. The Beatle tunes that resonate the strongest with me are the ones with his stamp on them (Strawberry Fields Forever, I Am The Walrus, Come Together, etc...unless Paul is now taking credit for writing those too. Really didn't care for the cowardly way he went about claiming how basically he was the Beatles after Lennon died).

Lennon's solo stuff is kind of a mixed bag. Really didn't think Double Fantasy was anything that great, truth be told. In fact, didn't have much use for him after Mind Games, but I love that track 'Nobody Told Me', off of Milk and Honey (which Lennon apparently wrote in the hopes that Ringo would record it...if that was supposed to be a Ringo track for a Beatles reunion album or not, I don't know).

Jack68
12-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Complete bullshit.As for a reunion who knows id be the first one to want to believe it.To say that the songs that ended up on Double Fantasy were from an aborted reunion attempt is laughable.I think Lennon and Mccartney were starting to feel one another out on the possiblitty but Lennon was still pissed at George for his I,Me,Mine autobiography which pretty much dismisses the Beatles.Nice poster though,get a beanstalk with it?Any reunion would of been guests on a Ringo album.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1054555.stm

Jack68
12-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Hey man, like no way man! They had all this pent up energy and were raring to go 'cause the STONES were king then and rock was missing something that the punks couldn't provide, they'd of had a good ten years and three or four albums and maybe would have had another reunion, but I guess we'll never know...

And fuck all you BONO-haters!:o :mad: :confused:
The who were the hottest ticket in town as was VH at the time.Im speaking live of course,keiths heroin thingy killed that band back then.I dont think the reunited beatles were a unleashed type of thing that i wish would of happenned.I honestly think a reunion album would of been done under a ringo banner.Can you imagine the pressure?Maybe a one off live 8 show or something but they were grown men in their late 30s been their done that.At best record at their leisure and maybe tour,who the fuck knows?

thome
12-08-2005, 10:15 PM
I couldn't believe it CNN was the only station running a JohnLennon tribute. A news station Not VH1 or MTV, May be something else on later
tonight, but the hour long tribute was on CNN hollywood style show (i
didn't even know CNN had one, Can't believe it) .

It was nice and affectionate the good perts of his life .Dick Cavitt
was
interviewed some good stuff. Cavitt mentioned that it was amazing
how much drugs and drinking and women conquests the Beatles
did we were lucky to have him or any of the Beatles for as long as
we did and mentioned John could have gone the way of Hendrix
and Joplin .and I know a little of Cavitt he was probably there side
by side doing every drug imagineable then back to work suit
and tie. I allways liked Cavitt and he was a Rock party patron for- shure.

Lennon and the Beatles are in the hearts of Countless people and
will continue for ages that way, the Music IS that strong.

So as I say Good Bad Or Indifferent about someone, I cant believe
2 hundred Million sales and only one station had a tribute
on a 25th aniversaty 25 is usually a number well counted so it goes..........
:confused: