PDA

View Full Version : And On This Day, Let There Be Greed

LoungeMachine
12-08-2005, 11:38 PM
December 09, 2005
Former Beatle's wives do battle over his legacy

NEW YORK: A quarter century after John Lennon was gunned down outside his New York apartment building, a struggle remains among his family, friends and fans for control of the former Beatle's legacy.

Defining Lennon has, since his murder on December 8, 1980, become a cottage industry pumping out exhibitions, memoirs, album re-issues, documentaries and even a Broadway musical.

The gatekeeper of the Lennon legacy and chief protector of his posthumous image is his widow Yoko Ono, 72, who continues to act as his spokesperson on issues ranging from contemporary music to the war in Iraq.

"I'm sure John would have been terribly upset" about the war, Ono told an interviewer in March 2003.

"And I'm sure that he would have expressed his anger and told them off," she added, referring to US President George W. Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Widely believed to have been a major factor behind the Beatles' break up, Ono has always divided public opinion and her pronouncements on Lennon's behalf have been received with a mixture of respect and irritation.

In the run-up to the 25th anniversary of Lennon's death, other voices have sought to challenge the gospel according to Ono and offer a more earthy image of a cultural hero whose premature death made him an almost saintly figure.

In her memoir "John," published in October, Lennon's first wife, Cynthia Lennon, wrote of the "pain, torment and humiliation" she suffered in her marriage with a man who could be as cruel as he was loveable.

Cynthia, 66, pushed the memoir as "the real story of the real John" a message echoed by her and Lennon's son, Julian, in a foreword to the book.

'Long overdue'

"If there is to be a balanced picture of Dad's life, then Mum's side of the story is long overdue," he wrote.

In a separate statement on the 25th anniversary, Julian Lennon admitted to "very mixed feelings" about his father.

"He was the father I loved who let me down in so many ways," he said.

Ono, meanwhile, marked the anniversary by editing a compilation of glowing tributes from celebrities such as Elton John and Mick Jagger who, according to the book sleeve, "reminisce about Lennon as a visionary and friend, musician and performer, husband and father, activist and jokester."

Ono has authorised a number of retrospective projects over the years, triggering criticism from some quarters that she was turning Lennon into a brand name.

"I don't think I'm merchandising John aggressively at all," Ono once responded in an interview.

"If I didn't do it, then some people would do it and make some kind of cheap version of it or something like that. And it would really destroy John's work. And so I have to protect his work," she said.

Ono has sued former employees for trying to sell stolen Lennon memorabilia, rowed with Paul McCartney over his attempt to reverse the famous Lennon-McCartney song writing credit, and last month the producers of a Lennon musical in Britain were forced to drastically change the show after she threatened litigation.

Jack68
12-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Wow.

Jack68
12-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Watch the anthology you mofos.I will .SHEA,dont get caught in the press.

Jesus Christ
12-09-2005, 12:53 AM
Let there be peace.... not greed :(

FORD
12-09-2005, 12:55 AM
I think it's common knowledge that John made some mistakes with his first family, and Cynthia & Julian are certainly entitled to their feelings about that. But it's really in bad taste to bring it up publicly on a milestone anniversary of John's death, especially if their primary motive is to sell a book.