PDA

View Full Version : Great Summary of Dave and VH

squib
12-10-2005, 07:48 PM
http://www.rhapsody.com/artist/more?

Say what you want about Eddie Van Halen's groundbreaking guitar playing, Diamond Dave was the heart and soul of Van Halen (the band). After he left, both suffered, but for a minute there it seemed as if he might surpass his former bandmates. In Van Halen, Roth's big mouth, leering, mock carnal presence and over-the-top macho posturing crossed with a Broadway show tune sensibility to give the band the sexiness and outsized sense of fun that completely disappeared when Van Halen carried on with Sammy Hagar. Roth started his solo career while still in Van Halen, cutting the covers EP Crazy From the Heat (1985), which featured the hit singles "California Girls" and "Just a Gigolo." On Roth's first two post-Van Halen records he had a heavy-hitting core band, featuring budding guitar hero Steve Vai, superbassist Billy Sheehan (later of Mr. Big fame), and Maynard Ferguson alumni, drummer Greg Bissonette. Eat 'Em and Smile (1986) and Skyscraper (1988) were both multiplatinum hits, featuring plenty of heavy guitar bluster and Roth's patented "Ethel Merman of Hard Rock" persona. His subsequent records were not really as popular; his star went into something of a descent, culminating with a bust for buying weed in N.Y.C.'s Washington Square Park. There was also the embarrassing announcement that he was rejoining Van Halen, which proved not to be the case. However stalled his career may seem, he can take pride in knowing that he has never worked with (Hagar's replacement) Gary Cherone.

Loons The Great
12-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by squib
http://www.rhapsody.com/artist/more?

. In Van Halen, Roth's big mouth, leering, mock carnal presence and over-the-top macho posturing crossed with a Broadway show tune sensibility to give the band the sexiness and outsized sense of fun that completely disappeared when Van Halen carried on with Sammy Hagar.

, featuring plenty of heavy guitar bluster and Roth's patented "Ethel Merman of Hard Rock" persona.

I would say that he had a vaudeville sensibility rather than a Broadway show tune one and his persona is more Shecky Green than Ethel Merman.

DrMaddVibe
12-10-2005, 10:50 PM
I'd say more of a Lenny Bruce...but can hold a note!

ppg960
12-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Wish DLR and VH could get it together again. I dought it. EVH from what I read is really going down hill personally and probably won't make 55 years.

NATEDOG001976
12-11-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by ppg960
Wish DLR and VH could get it together again. I dought it. EVH from what I read is really going down hill personally and probably won't make 55 years.

Eddie is too damm drunk to do anything!

Terry
12-12-2005, 09:25 PM
The essence of CVH, to me, is what Dave and Eddie brought to the table.

Al and Mike had their roles. Not unimportant ones, but it all comes back to Diamond Dave and EVH for me in the end, far as Van Halen is concerned. That's why Van Halen without Dave has consistently failed to spark my interest. Just think Ed was at his best when Dave was with the band...and at times I think Dave was at his best then as well (although I dig EEAS more than a lot of what was on CVH's last two albums, particularly 1984).

ritetoolforjob
12-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
I would say that he had a vaudeville sensibility rather than a Broadway show tune one and his persona is more Shecky Green than Ethel Merman. how about don knotts sprinkled with milton berle or liberace...

bantonelli
12-13-2005, 04:46 PM
Tool....you sprinkle w/Liberace and rainbows in your world.

LOONS is on target.....DLR is the fusion of ROCK n' ROLL & Vaudeville (Shecky Green meets Al Jolson meets Elvis & Sinatra)....roll it together and you get the ULTIMATE KEWL.