PDA

View Full Version : The Rolling Stone's Disco Songs

Unchainme
12-11-2005, 02:09 AM
Just curious about the whole thing, Why The Stones did a couple of Disco Songs, Miss You and Hot Stuff being the biggest hits out of the 2. The Kinks, KISS, Blondie and Rod Stewart (Okay he's not really considedred rocking but you get the point.) also did this, weirdest genre of Music ever Disco Rock (Doesn't that contradict.). Anyone else Fascinated by these songs?

FORD
12-11-2005, 05:58 AM
Actually, the weirdest of all was when the Grateful Dead morphed into "disco"mode on their cover of "Dancing In the Street".

The Stones probably got away with it better than anyone else, combining the disco influenced (it wasn't exactly the Bee Gees) "Miss You" with the Nashville spawned "Far Away Eyes" for the schizophrenic advance 45" in the Spring of 1978 and then followed that with the rest of Some Girls which included songs like "Lies", "Respectable", and "When The Whip Comes Down, which weren't competing with Saturday Night Fever or Urban Cowboy, but were rather serving notice on the Sex Pistols and the Clash that the Stones could still do punk rock as well as anybody.

Blondie? Heart of Glass was a decent enough song, but it would have worked just as well as ska or reggae, not disco.

Kinks? Sorry, I think that "Superman" was a low point. "Father Christmas:" was a far better single, and holds up much better 28 years later.

Rod Stewart hasn't written a decent song since the Faces split up. end of story.

And KISS.... their disco album should have been their last. As far as I'm concerned it was (until the Unplugged thing)

Mr. Vengeance
12-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Actually, the weirdest of all was when the Grateful Dead morphed into "disco"mode on their cover of "Dancing In the Street".

The Stones probably got away with it better than anyone else, combining the disco influenced (it wasn't exactly the Bee Gees) "Miss You" with the Nashville spawned "Far Away Eyes" for the schizophrenic advance 45" in the Spring of 1978 and then followed that with the rest of Some Girls which included songs like "Lies", "Respectable", and "When The Whip Comes Down, which weren't competing with Saturday Night Fever or Urban Cowboy, but were rather serving notice on the Sex Pistols and the Clash that the Stones could still do punk rock as well as anybody.

Blondie? Heart of Glass was a decent enough song, but it would have worked just as well as ska or reggae, not disco.

Kinks? Sorry, I think that "Superman" was a low point. "Father Christmas:" was a far better single, and holds up much better 28 years later.

Rod Stewart hasn't written a decent song since the Faces split up. end of story.

And KISS.... their disco album should have been their last. As far as I'm concerned it was (until the Unplugged thing)

There were elements of disco on more Stones songs than that. Emotional Rescue had bits all over it, although most of the material was rocking.

KISS had one disco song on that album, and the song was pretty good. The rest of Dynasty was okay.

People who complain about Rod not being good since the Faces are simply unwilling to listen to his post-Faces output. Even the silliest of his output, still has that voice that is beyond compare.

Unchainme
12-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Grateful Dead also released a song called Shakedown Street, It was auctually ok, But it was just plain weird to hear a band like that do A Disco song.

fuckhowardstern
12-11-2005, 12:54 PM
I was just realizing how powerful music was when Disco was big - I was about 8 years old I guess....the trend lasted about 4 years and, since your age is somewhat of a mystery (Unchained), maybe you don't remember, but it was HUGE - Disco was everywhere - in every medium. I guess at the same time, although I do not remember this but I have read, there was a lot of quesion about the future viability of rock and roll. So many more bands than the ones you mentioned were either genuinely influenced by the genre of disco or were pressured by their record companies into making their music more playable on the dance floors.

I guess those bands are all a little embarrassed now if they are still around. But I genuinely like the Emotional Rescue album which has a disco flavor to it also. And I read that Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In the Wall, Part II" (the Part they play on the radio) was written around Nick Mason's drum beat which he derived from making fun of the same beat heard in every disco song one day at a rehersal.

Jérôme Frenchise
12-11-2005, 01:37 PM
The Stones' "Hot Stuff" is "funk-rock", not disco IMO. Then "Emotional Rescue" was too soft & messy, they should have released "If I was a dancer" instead.
On "Flashpoint", in 1991, they released 2 bonus studio tracks, "Highwire" and a disco thing called "Sexdrive"... I automatically skipped the latter.
Mick Jagger used to (and actually continues to) include one disco track on about each album ("Too much blood", "Winning ugly", "Suck on the jugular', not really bad stuff for example, or, on the last album, "Rain fall down" - awful). I once read that Mick would have the Stones record disco tunes for his own club mates... Well, it doesn't matter: what reproach on earth can be made towards him, anyway? :cool:

"Miss you", that I personally do not dislike at all, may open "Some Girls", but all that follows is so damn good... To a lesser degree, it's the same with "Emotional Rescue".
"Emotional Rescue" (the album), in retrospect, was very underrated. "Summer romance", "She's so cold" and "Where the boys go" are better rockers than most of those they've released over the past twenty years.
"Indian girl" is perfect, "All about you" shows Keith in a terrible settling of scores with Anita, his series of relentless reproach ending with an amazing "... but how come I still be in love with you?...". "Down in the hole" is an underrated blues too.
Damn! The Stones can afford putting such tunes away, songs that thousands of musicians would get damned to be the ones who wrote them! :)

twonabomber
12-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Miss You and Hot Stuff are definitely Mick songs. he's the one who's always gone out clubbing. that's also around the time where Keith was so out of it that Mick kinda took the reins.

Rod Stewart is OK up until Blondes Have More Fun, then it's a trainwreck. Camoflage and Out Of Order weren't too bad though.

Mr. Vengeance
12-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Blondes Have More Fun has plenty of good songs, and I'll admit that Do Ya Think I'm Sexy is my favorite. But there are rockers throughout, such as Dirty Weekend. It also contains a lot of Rod's self-depricating wit. Pretty much all Rod's albums have something good on them. Foolish Behaviour, Body Wishes, and Tonight I'm Yours all have great moments. Camouflage is pretty good, and so does the self-titled Rod Stewart. Out of Order is wonderful and rocking! The new "Songbook" trend is a little tired at ths point, but the guy is doing what he wants to do. I'm not going to trash him for it.

fuckhowardstern
12-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Camouflage had some awesome Jeff Beck solos on it!

NATEDOG001976
12-11-2005, 04:35 PM
"I fucking hate Disco" - Vince Neil

1996 - Live in Minneapolis

Jahuli
12-12-2005, 02:59 AM
Im a huge stones fan and i love "miss you"

stringfelowhawk
12-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Well, if you give me the option of listening to one of those two songs on a loop for the rest of my days or a mix tape of everything thats been popular over the last 15 years I'll gladly accept "Miss You" and never look back.

That answer your ?

FORD
12-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by stringfelowhawk
Well, if you give me the option of listening to one of those two songs on a loop for the rest of my days or a mix tape of everything thats been popular over the last 15 years I'll gladly accept "Miss You" and never look back.

That answer your ?

Just track down a Stones bootleg that has the full 12 minute original version of Miss You on it. That way your loop won't have to pay as often.

Terry
12-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Disco WAS fucking huge. In a way, you can't blame those bands for jumping on that bandwagon. Especially when the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever was fucking flying off record shelves (and yes, I dig the Bee Gees. Tough titties of anybody has a problem with it).

Fuck, even the music to Star Wars had it's own disco version out there.

I will say that a lot of the production values on many of those disco tracks hold up even today. They were just well-made records, studio-wise.

I dig Emotional Rescue and Dance (Pt 1). Same with Miss You.

Kinda thought Rod Stewart's Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? was queer. Same with Kiss's I Was Made For Loving You. GD's Shakedown Street was okay. I mean, none of those cuts are what I'd call essential listening from any of those groups, but good for a listen and a laugh.

Plus, a lot of those groups had been around for a bit even by the late 1970s. Maybe doing a discoish track or two was a way for them to stay relevant, or at least keep selling records.

Unchainme
12-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Terry

Grate now I have picture of Bueno Bob and Bill Lumbergh dancing to that. Thats a pretty disturbing image.

BruinJer
12-12-2005, 10:03 PM
I've always liked Emotional Rescue... great tune!

rustoffa
12-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by fuckhowardstern
Camouflage had some awesome Jeff Beck solos on it!

Remember that "Infatuation" song? This chick insisted on turning that shit up so she could hear it better through the sliding window on my truck. Who cares about blown 6x9's if you doctor the hatchet wound?
:)

fuckhowardstern
12-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Remember that "Infatuation" song? This chick insisted on turning that shit up so she could hear it better through the sliding window on my truck. Who cares about blown 6x9's if you doctor the hatchet wound?
:)

LOL - Hated the song....loved the solo....I seem to remember an insturmental version of the tune that was slightly better than the one on the radio because it had less singing and more guitar.

Wayne L.
12-13-2005, 01:43 PM
The Stones did only 2 disco songs namely Miss You & Emotional Rescue while Hot Stuff is a GREAT funky song.

Mr. Vengeance
12-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
The Stones did only 2 disco songs namely Miss You & Emotional Rescue while Hot Stuff is a GREAT funky song.

Dance Pt. 1 was definately disco and like it or not, Hot Stuff was pretty much disco..

Mr. Vengeance
12-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Disco WAS fucking huge. In a way, you can't blame those bands for jumping on that bandwagon. Especially when the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever was fucking flying off record shelves (and yes, I dig the Bee Gees. Tough titties of anybody has a problem with it).

I will say that a lot of the production values on many of those disco tracks hold up even today. They were just well-made records, studio-wise.

I dig Emotional Rescue and Dance (Pt 1). Same with Miss You.

Kinda thought Rod Stewart's Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? was queer. Same with Kiss's I Was Made For Loving You. GD's Shakedown Street was okay. I mean, none of those cuts are what I'd call essential listening from any of those groups, but good for a listen and a laugh.

Plus, a lot of those groups had been around for a bit even by the late 1970s. Maybe doing a discoish track or two was a way for them to stay relevant, or at least keep selling records.

Funny thing about Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?, people took it as a Rod bragging song, but it's a narrative about a couple. The lyrics are, "He sits alone, waiting for suggestion/ She's so nervous, avoiding all his questions"...It was probably that the video had Rod picking up the hot blonde babe, that caused people to think he was signing about himself.

m_dixon1984
12-13-2005, 02:47 PM
I only owned 1 disco album...Sesame Street Fever. 'Rubber Duckie' and 'C is for Cookie' were my favorites.
M

Jérôme Frenchise
12-13-2005, 02:48 PM
yes, I dig the Bee Gees. Tough titties of anybody has a problem with it.

This is hilarious! :D

Terry, do you allow me to put this quote in my sig for a while? :D

Jérôme Frenchise
12-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by m_dixon1984
I only owned 1 disco album...Sesame Street Fever. 'Rubber Duckie' and 'C is for Cookie' were my favorites.
M

The Muppet Show is certainly the most kick-ass stuff ever broadcast on TV, I think. And not only for children (then I could add that there was a time when they used to offer kids some worthy stuff, and I'm glad I was one back then and not today). :cool:

m_dixon1984
12-13-2005, 03:03 PM
I still love the Muppets. Just bought the first season of The Muppet Show on DVD. Fantastic!! Still waiting for a re-release of The Muppet Musicians of Bremen (my favorite TV special of all-time, except maybe for How The Grinch Stole Christmas). Simple, wholesome, fun. Seems to me like kids today are missing out. Mine won't. TV off; Dad's DVD collection playing instead.
M

m_dixon1984
12-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Oh, wait, this is a Disco thread. Robin Gibb starred on the Sesame Street Fever album so it must be respected!!
M

Jérôme Frenchise
12-13-2005, 03:21 PM
You must be a damn good dad, m_dixon. :cool:

Well, are "Miss you", "Dance pt" 1 or "Emotional Rescue" disco, properly speaking? I don't really think so. They're Stones tracks, inspired with disco, IMO. Mick Jagger said (in the "25 by 5: the continuing adventures of the Rolling Stones") that it was disco for Charlie, because it is a "four-on-the-floor" beat...

Sure there was some great music recorded during the disco era; but the fact they played real instruments, there being no fucking samplers then -- who can bear the execrable re-mixes that have been committed since then? -- to make it sound disgustingly synthetic and insipid. :mad:

m_dixon1984
12-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks, Jerome, but I was talking about how I hope to be as a dad. I'm not one yet. Need to find me a large breasted, mute, blow-job obsessed, incubator before I can be blessed with fatherhood. ;-)
M

Mr. Vengeance
12-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by m_dixon1984
M

HAHAHA!!!! My sisters had that when we were kids! I loved the way the album had a gatefold that opened up and they had shots of Grover in the same disco poses as John Travolta in the Saturday Night Fever album jacket.

Terry
12-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
This is hilarious! :D

Terry, do you allow me to put this quote in my sig for a while? :D

Sure. Just change "of" to "if".

PumpedUpMidget
12-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Miss You kicks ass

Terry
12-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Funny thing about Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?, people took it as a Rod bragging song, but it's a narrative about a couple. The lyrics are, "He sits alone, waiting for suggestion/ She's so nervous, avoiding all his questions"...It was probably that the video had Rod picking up the hot blonde babe, that caused people to think he was signing about himself.

Think the video was more lame than the song. Watching Rod wiggle his ass like a broad in that thing makes it easy to understand how the late 1970s/early 1980s "Rod Stewart Passed Out Onstage And When They Took Him Backstage And Pumped His Stomach A Pint Of Semen Was Extracted" rumor started.