PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed for a Piano Player

Marlowe01
12-11-2005, 03:51 PM
I turned 19 recently (freshman in college) and I guess you could say I'm a "struggling" piano player. This is probably my 6th year of playing. I didn't really start taking it that seriously until probably the middle of high school. I feel like no matter what I do I never really get any better or seem to improve. On this campus, it's hard to find people to play/jam with, so that's probably one of the focal points of my struggle...that experience. There's a friend/guitar player down the hall who I jam with from time to time: whip out a real book and either play through or learn a song from it or make up our own instrumental little number. Guess I'm wondering what I should be practicing when that isn't happening...learning real book songs/chord changes and such, practicing scales, or what. Basically trying to get the most out of my practice time. I know I'm being kind of vague about this but I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice here.

DrMaddVibe
12-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Roll it off the top of a building and learn how to play a guitar.

Hardrock69
12-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Well, just do what I do in the absoence of musicians...just get a cd with some great piano riffs and jam!

BrownSound1
12-12-2005, 03:21 AM
Soak up different styles and techniques...don't just stick with one thing. For instance learn some classical stuff, then go play some Ray Charles.

fuckhowardstern
12-12-2005, 05:17 AM
In addition to the extremely sound advice above, practice the basics, join your school jazz ensemble. Listen to different players, and if you really want to get better: play all the time!

ashstralia
12-12-2005, 05:52 AM
just play firsts and fifths, dude!

Hardrock69
12-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Yer best bet is:

1. Learn Jazz tunes to improve your chops.

2. Learn the following for the definitive rock piano stuff:

A. Little Richard
B. Jerry Lee Lewis
C. Billy joel
D. Elton John
E. Jon Lord (not necessarily piano, but still he is a keyboardist).

:cool:

Soul Reaper
12-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Learn from the great masters, such as....

Liszt
Chopin
Mozart
Beethoven
Rachmaninov

take in the compositions...use anything to come up with your own ideas....

ELVIS
12-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Get a Moog!

Marlowe01
12-12-2005, 08:02 PM
a Moog would definitely be nice

LoungeMachine
12-12-2005, 08:12 PM
You've been "playing" for 6 years, and now are looking for advice in here???

You never get better or improve?????

My advice?

Sell it and take up knitting.

Do the world a favor

ELVIS
12-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

You never get better or improve?????

He never said that...

Eyes of the Night
12-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Roll it off the top of a building and learn how to play a guitar.

:D

LoungeMachine
12-13-2005, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Marlowe01

I feel like no matter what I do I never really get any better or seem to improve.

Dear, ELVIS

LoungeMachine
12-13-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
He never said that...

sorry, but......

he DID

ELVIS
12-13-2005, 01:09 AM
Oh, maybe he did...:dork:

LoungeMachine
12-13-2005, 01:15 AM
LMAO

maybe.

Hardrock69
12-13-2005, 03:00 AM
Hey, I go through periods like that.

Then one day you kinda look back to a couple of years earlier and you realize hmmmm maybe I have improved after all....

That actually just happened to me recently.

Seemed like I was going nowhere, and all of a sudden I realized I was at a new level.

Jimmy Jingles
12-14-2005, 04:05 PM
I turned 19 recently (freshman in college) and I guess you could say I'm a "struggling" piano player. This is probably my 6th year of playing. I didn't really start taking it that seriously until probably the middle of high school. I feel like no matter what I do I never really get any better or seem to improve. On this campus, it's hard to find people to play/jam with, so that's probably one of the focal points of my struggle...that experience. There's a friend/guitar player down the hall who I jam with from time to time: whip out a real book and either play through or learn a song from it or make up our own instrumental little number. Guess I'm wondering what I should be practicing when that isn't happening...learning real book songs/chord changes and such, practicing scales, or what. Basically trying to get the most out of my practice time. I know I'm being kind of vague about this but I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice here.

Learn to play using only your cock and balls.

Your playing will improve ten fold my friend. And you will be a hit with the ladies.

Marlowe01
12-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Hey, Jimmy Jingles...how about you fuck off and not write stupid-ass replies to every one of my posts, like LoungeMachine? Suck it long, and suck it hard.

LoungeMachine
12-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Hey, Jimmy Jingles...how about you fuck off and not write stupid-ass replies to every one of my posts, like LoungeMachine? Suck it long, and suck it hard.

LMMFAO

:D :D :D

Hey, fagbag.......GROW THE FUCK UP.

Don't start whiney ass attention seeking threads like this, and then bitch and moan when peopl flip you shit.

Hey, 19

IT'S THE FUCKING INTERNET

THIS IS A MESSAGE BOARD

IT'S NOT HERE TO HELP YOU THROUGH LIFE'S TROUBLES

So grow the fuck up, you sniveling little puke.

AND IF YOU EVER SEND ME ANOTHER GAY ASS FUCKING PM LIKE THAT I'LL PERSONALLY SPAM THE SHIT OUT OF EVERY POST YOU MAKE.

Got it?

Good.

Have a nice day :)

ashstralia
12-14-2005, 10:45 PM
firsts and fifths, duuude!!!!

hahahahah

LoungeMachine
12-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by ashstralia
firsts and fifths, duuude!!!!

hahahahah

May as well tell him to stick to the white keys...:D

Nitro Express
12-14-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm not a piano player but my wife is. We have a Bosendorfer grand piano in out living room that is played all the time. Piano isn't as flashy as guitar but it's a great instrument and anyone appreciates a great sounding piano and player.

My advice is to have some focus on what you want to learn during the year and set your practice for the year around that agenda but make sure your practice is fun. You learn to play by playing. It's art and art can't be rushed. Don't compare yourself to others and learn at your pace. Be honest with yourself and don't try to be something you aren't. If it's fun, keep at it, if you are constantly jump starting yourself, be honest, you don't like it and find another hobby.

Music is to be enjoyed, if you enjoy it, you will stay at it and get better. If you hate it, what's the point?

Jimmy Jingles
12-15-2005, 09:59 AM

Calm down Liberace...I was just pointing out that if you choose to play the somewhat gayish piano, it might make things a little more interesting if you used your package to play. But since you got your fucking panties all tied up in a bunch I will be the bigger man here and apologize...

APOLOGIZE FOR NOT RIPPING INTO YOUR ASS EARLIER!!!

Fuck off you little shit stain! You fucking come in here, post about how much of a pussy you are (i.e. playing piano - and not very good at it), and then complain when we pound your ass? Double check the url butt curl, it's a fucking CVH\DLR website, not a fucking ass clown Coldpay wannabe gimp-for-all site.

Now go back to practicing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Cock' while I rip 'Eruption' through my Marshall stack and fuck your girlfriend in the ass.

Here's some wanking material for you...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a400/cacree/LiberaceinHotPantssinglecopy.jpg

:mad2:

Hardrock69
12-15-2005, 11:13 AM
LMAO!

Hey I thought this was a forum where musicians could discuss musical topics....and even ask for advice or opinions....

You guys wanna flame someone for asking advice on a legitimate question, go somewhere else.

:rolleyes:

Marlowe....this is the internet.

Develop some thick skin.

ELVIS
12-15-2005, 01:25 PM
And get off the fucking internet and play some fucking piano!!!

:elvis:

Hardrock69
12-16-2005, 11:53 AM
LAFF MY FUCKING ASS OFF!

No shit!

Matt White
12-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
LMAO!

Hey I thought this was a forum where musicians could discuss musical topics....and even ask for advice or opinions....

You guys wanna flame someone for asking advice on a legitimate question, go somewhere else.

:rolleyes:

Marlowe....this is the internet.

Develop some thick skin.

EXACTLY

Save the drama....for someplace else.

ashstralia
12-19-2005, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy Jingles
Calm down Liberace...

*ash spits beer on screen* :D

ashstralia
12-19-2005, 06:35 AM
okay marlowe, you can throw in a third now and then,

but NO SEVENTHS!!!! OK???

doctor roth
01-17-2006, 01:41 AM
Pay no heed to the 4 year olds in here friend. Maturity is not this web sites strong suit !

'improvement' is a funny thing. Sometimes it FEELS like your're going nowhere but thats only cause your not looking at the big picture. Record yourself playing regularly and when you get in those 'im going nowhere' moods listen to some old recordings of yourself. I guarentee you'll hear improvement.

Learn the classics and bits and pieces from everywhere: classical, rock, jaz etc etc. Even if you dont really like the style as a whole ya can usually pick out usefull bits and pieces. Learn some theory but DONT LEARN TOO MUCH THEORY it seems to KILL creativity!!! Who cares if you can play fast or play lots of crazy scales, no one will care if it does not SOUND good.

And most importantly (i know its been said a million times) have fun. Jam with anyone ya can find, put up flyers in music stores etc etc. And dont listen to assholes who knock ya for no good reason. Just play baby !!!!!!!