Judge Quizzes Doctor About Pain Fetus Might Feel During Controversial Abortion Proced

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lucky wilbury

Judge Quizzes Doctor About Pain Fetus Might Feel During Controversial Abortion Proced

Judge Quizzes Doctor About Pain Fetus Might Feel During Controversial Abortion Procedure

By Larry Neumeister Associated Press Writer
    Published: Apr 1, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) - A doctor who performs abortions found himself quizzed by a federal judge about whether a fetus feels pain during a controversial abortion procedure and if the physician worries about that possibility.

The inquiry, at times graphic, came in U.S. District Court on Wednesday after lawyers on both sides had finished questioning Dr. Timothy Johnson, a plaintiff in one of three lawsuits brought to try to stop enforcement of the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act.

"Does the fetus feel pain?" Judge Richard C. Casey asked Johnson, saying he had been told that studies of a type of abortion usually performed in the second trimester had concluded they do.

Johnson said he did not know, adding he knew of no scientific research on the subject.

The judge then pressed Johnson on whether he ever thought about fetal pain while he performs the abortion procedure that involves dismemberment. Another doctor a day earlier had testified that a fetus sometimes does not immediately die after limbs are pulled off.

"I guess whenever I..." Johnson began before the judge interrupted.

"Simple question, doctor. Does it cross your mind?" Casey pressed.

Johnson said it did not.

"Never crossed your mind?" the judge asked again.

"No," Johnson answered.

Abortion-rights supporters are challenging the federal ban, the first substantial limitation on abortion since the Supreme Court's landmark Roe v. Wade decision.

The law has not been enforced because judges in New York, Lincoln, Neb., and San Francisco agreed to hear evidence in three separate trials without juries before deciding whether it violates the Constitution.

The simultaneous litigation centers on the ban of what lawmakers defined as "partial-birth" abortion and what doctors call "intact dilation and extraction" - or D&X.

In the procedure, a fetus is partially delivered and its skull is punctured. An estimated 2,200 to 5,000 such abortions are performed annually in the United States, out of 1.3 million total abortions.

Government lawyers say the law protects fetuses from pain during the abortion procedures that usually involve crushing the soft skull or draining brain tissue to shrink the fetus to a size in which it can be pulled from the body.

Doctors say the procedures decrease the frequency of surgical instrument insertions into a woman, eliminate the dangers that parts of a broken fetus might be left behind and give couples an intact fetus to grieve over.

In the Lincoln court, Dr. Joel Howell, a medical historian at the University of Michigan, testified that the federal ban targets procedures intertwined with the most common methods of terminating pregnancies.

Lawyers from the Center for Reproductive Rights contend that the ban is vague and could be interpreted as covering more common, less controversial procedures, including "dilatation and evacuation." An estimated 140,000 such procedures take place every year in the United States.

The San Francisco case was in recess Wednesday and resumes Thursday.

In the Manhattan courtroom, Casey also questioned Johnson about whether physicians warn women that a fetus is dismembered during an abortion.

"So you tell her the arms and legs are pulled off? I mean, that's what I want to know. Do you tell her?" Casey asked.

"We tell her the baby, the fetus, is dismembered as part of the procedure, yes," answered Johnson, a University of Michigan professor and research scientist at the school's Center for Human Growth and Development.

Casey asked Johnson if doctors tell a woman that the abortion procedure they might use includes "sucking the brain out of the skull."

"I don't think we would use those terms," Johnson said. "I think we would probably use a term like 'decompression of the skull' or 'reducing the contents of the skull.'"

The judge responded, "Make it nice and palatable so that they wouldn't understand what it's all about?"

Johnson, though, said doctors merely want to be sensitive.

"We try to do it in a way that's not offensive or gruesome or overly graphic for patients," Johnson said.

---

On the Net:

Planned Parenthood: http://www.plannedparenthood.org

Justice Department: http://www.usdoj.gov

AP-ES-04-01-04 0150EST
  • Ally_Kat
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Another doctor a day earlier had testified that a fetus sometimes does not immediately die after limbs are pulled off.

Casey asked Johnson if doctors tell a woman that the abortion procedure they might use includes "sucking the brain out of the skull."

two images i could have done without
    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Dr. Love
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Unfortunately these images need to be done with so that everyone knows exactly what happens in this despicable procedure.
      I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

The procedure involves puncturing the skull and cutting off arms and legs of a live human being...

Comment

• Satan
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

I'm opposed to abortion. Babies that aren't born never have the opportunity to sin, and therefore can never come to Hell
          Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
          I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Roy Munson
            Veteran
            • Feb 2004

Abortion is wrong and should be illegal. That is all I have to say.
            Originally posted by ELVIS
            I guess you're right...

Comment

• BigBadBrian
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Roy Munson
              That's all that needs to be said.
              “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Roy Munson
                Veteran
                • Feb 2004

Actually, I do have more to say!

Last summer there were a bunch of PETA fuckhead protest people in Fargo, ND. They protesting the large amount of FISHING that goes on in Northern Minnesota. They had signs that read ...

FISH HAVE FEELINGS, TOO!

I guarantee you that these are the same fucking people that think it's alright to dismember an unborn baby! FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT HYPOCRITE KILLERS!!!!!!

PETA can go fuck themselves.

NOW can go fuck themselves.

PP can go fuck themselves.
                Originally posted by ELVIS
                I guess you're right...

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Roy Munson
                  They used a similar argument for alcohol in the early 20th century. Remember what the results of that were?

Bottom line, making abortion illegal will not do one damn thing to eliminate it.

It's ironic that many of the same people who oppose abortion also oppose birth control. If birth control was used, and encouraged to be used, the number of abortions would drop considerably.

Some of the very same people also oppose sex education of any kind in schools, yet it's painfully obvious that they have no intention of doing the job themselves at home.

I believe I previously mentioned the Catholic girl who lived up the street, forcibly removed from school when it came time for the sex ed stuff, and that she was pregnant at 14.

Knowing the facts and how to prevent preganancy in the first place would eliminate 80% of the abortions. The other 19.5% that result from rape and/or incest, those are criminal matters, and all those fucking bastards should be castrated anyway.

There - I just eliminated 99.5% of abortions through common fucking sense and existing laws. The remaining half percent would be for the rarities of the mother's life being endangered.

So anybody have a valid reason why my plan shouldn't be implemented immediately?
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

The people who oppose abortion and birth control are Catholics. And it's written into the faith, but the only ones that defend that part of it are the strict ones. Hell, my elementary school didn't even tell us about that part of the faith. They stopped teaching it around 1994.

And Ford, that sounds good, but 47% of abortions are performed on women who've had at least one already. 47% of people didn't learn the first time (or sometimes the third or fourth)! That's about half. If that happened to me, I would learn what a condom was real quick or go on the pill. That and the rate is highest for girls my age, 18 to 21. By now they should know what safe sex is, especially since my generation is the one that has been exposed to it the most.

But when it comes to that and things are 'just happening' people don't think of protection. You can teach til you're blue in the face. I know what I had health in high school the kids laughed and made jokes. Half of them turned up with a kid.

And with the girl, sex is a two way street. She might have been pulled out of sex ed, but was the boy who she did it with? She knew well enough what to do, you mean to tell me she didn't know what could happen from it? *raises eyebrow*
                    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Lou

Originally posted by FORD
                      Knowing the facts and how to prevent preganancy in the first place would eliminate 80% of the abortions. The other 19.5% that result from rape and/or incest, those are criminal matters, and all those fucking bastards should be castrated anyway.
                      Point me to a credible source that says that and I'll buy it.

How about this, it's WRONG, and two WRONGS don't make a right. So what about someone who had a fucked up childhood and goes off and murders someone, should they be off the hook as well?

And the point about these morons caring more about animals than humans is right on, I've mentioned that before. I've seen things like, "Abuse an animal, go to jail," yet I can almost guarantee these people don't feel that way about humans. Yes, they value animals over humans. Ridiculous!

FORD, maybe I'm off on this, but it seems like you're against abortion but fearful that steadfastly being a pro-lifer and speaking out against it would conflict with the overall liberal agenda, and you're not willing to do that. There are times when some of our convictions don't jive with the party or group we're supposedly a part of, but we gotta keep it real. I know you know it's wrong (unlike some people who think a fetus doesn't count as anything in this world). Two examples for my beliefs which don't fall in line with the conservative agenda are gun control which I'm for, and conservation of the environment, which most Republicans really don't care about.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

They used a similar argument for alcohol in the early 20th century. Remember what the results of that were?

Bottom line, making abortion illegal will not do one damn thing to eliminate it.

Bullshit. You baby-killers always use that line of thinking. Does punishment for rape and murder stop alot of those crimes? Hell yes! Some no, unfortunately. Just because some may break a law means there's no reason in not having one to begin with.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

So anybody have a valid reason why my plan shouldn't be implemented immediately?
                          Yes, because you're an idiot!

Seriously now, (well I was serious that you're an idiot also) if you're plan automatically means kids will mandatorily be told about the facts of life, then, no, stick your plan up your ass. It's a parents right when and how to choose to tell their children, not yours. It doesn't matter if YOU think some people are doing a good job or not.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                            Bullshit. You baby-killers always use that line of thinking. Does punishment for rape and murder stop alot of those crimes? Hell yes! Some no, unfortunately. Just because some may break a law means there's no reason in not having one to begin with.
                            You calling me a "baby killer" is pathetic.

It is YOU who supports thousands of Iraqi children being slaughtered over greed and lies. It is YOU who supports the Sharon regime's brutal murder of Palestinian children.

I don't advocate killing anybody, with the possible exception of rapists and pedophiles. Perhaps the PNAC fascists, under the proper penalty for treason. But I have never once advocated "killing babies".

Unlike yourself, I offerred some realisitic means of eliminating the problem. If you want to live in a fantasy world where teaching your kids to be ignorant will keep them safe, then you can only blame yourself when you are proven wrong.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Lou
                              Point me to a credible source that says that and I'll buy it.
                              The numbers were a ballpark estimation, but it's probably not far off. It's common sense that preventing unwanted preganancies would prevent abortions.

How about this, it's WRONG, and two WRONGS don't make a right. So what about someone who had a fucked up childhood and goes off and murders someone, should they be off the hook as well?
                              Not sure what your argument is here. You're saying abortion is wrong, but I'm saying how to prevent abortions in the first place. So wouldn't preventing them be RIGHT?

[quote]And the point about these morons caring more about animals than humans is right on, I've mentioned that before. I've seen things like, "Abuse an animal, go to jail," yet I can almost guarantee these people don't feel that way about humans. Yes, they value animals over humans. Ridiculous!

And there's just as much hypocrisy on the right with people who call themselves "pro-life", yet support wholesale slaughter in Iraq, or whatever other country is being invaded any given year. Or who support the death penalty without reservation, even when there is serious doubt of a prisoner's guilt. As there was in many of the 112 prisoners executed by Gov. George Bush Jr. in Texas

FORD, maybe I'm off on this, but it seems like you're against abortion but fearful that steadfastly being a pro-lifer and speaking out against it would conflict with the overall liberal agenda, and you're not willing to do that. There are times when some of our convictions don't jive with the party or group we're supposedly a part of, but we gotta keep it real. I know you know it's wrong (unlike some people who think a fetus doesn't count as anything in this world). Two examples for my beliefs which don't fall in line with the conservative agenda are gun control which I'm for, and conservation of the environment, which most Republicans really don't care about.
                              My reasons for avoiding the abortion argument aren't partisan. My liberal friends know my feelings on the subject even though they don't agree. As we both pointed out above, there is such massive hypocrisy on BOTH sides of the issue that threads like this one eventually degrade into complete chaotic bullshit.

My bottom line is this: You cannot make abortion go away by making it illegal. I would rather eliminate them entirely, and you can't do that without eliminating unwanted pregnancies.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...