PDA

View Full Version : The Band RUSH!

tama_drumster
12-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey everyone. Anyone like the progressive rock band RUSH? Those guys are just so incredibly talented, especially Neil Peart on those drums! Have any of you checked out their new double disc dvd "RUSH-R30?" I got myself a copy from a friend that works at umvd and talk about alot of great footage of the band right there. It comes with a high quality Germany 2004 concert and other footage of interviews, and music the band has done through the years. If you want to know more info, I could this article online: http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Releases/sanctuary/rush_r30.htm

fuckhowardstern
12-16-2005, 03:13 PM
One day on the site, first post and tama dedicates it to Rush - kid....you and I are going to be fast friends! Welcome. My g/f told me not to buy R-30 b/c she bought it for me for x-mas so...I have been begging her to give it to me early but she ain't giving. I have read the reviews online and they are stellar. Can't wait. Now - Hold Your Fire - because lots of people are gonna flame this thread I suspect!

tama_drumster
12-16-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm prepared to deal with the negativity that may come with my respect for RUSH :) I just had to mention the dvd because its really good! Love the work of Van Halen as well though of course or else I wouldn't be on this board. You only got a bit over a week left to wait, just hang in there in a little longer, you wont be disappointed haha.

fuckhowardstern
12-16-2005, 03:35 PM
LOL - I am sure there are a lot of Rush fans here as well as detractors. BTW thanks for that link - has a rare and recent interview from Neil Peart attached. As far as the week goes - it can't get here soon enough. I am on vacation now and bored out of my skull. Hell, I was even thinking about going back into the office to do some work just to pass the time. I have a feeling I might get her to come off of it this weekend - although I might have to bribe her somehow.....

tama_drumster
12-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Try teasing her about her Christmas present or tell her she can get her gift early if she helps you out. I found out that Jewelry tends to help out as well in certain situations haha.

fuckhowardstern
12-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Hmmmmm....I kinda had something else in mind....but I already offered to give her her gifts early...."but then what will we do Christmas morning"....yadda yadda yadda.... Hell if I have to wait until Christmas morning to get it - I know exactly what I am doing that morning - I will be plastered to the TV screen for 5 + hours!

WACF
12-16-2005, 04:12 PM
R30 is outstanding IMO.

The Hi-Def really shines on this one.

Mr Badguy
12-16-2005, 04:57 PM
I don`t know where you got the idea that this thread would get flamed.

Rush is one of my top bands ever.

Yes "R30" is very, very good.

Try and get hold of the 3 DVD bootleg that is going around of the Radio City Music Hall, New York shows.

I`ve got it and it is just as good AND you get the full set.

ppg960
12-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Rush is a great band except they think a Canadian tour constitutes Vancouver and Toronto. Two dates each-done.
Has done little for their popularity up here in Canada.

WACF
12-16-2005, 10:23 PM
I feel your pain.

I do not recall them ever coming to Saskatoon.

I did read on the Rush forum that the last time they played Calgary it was only half sold out...pretty weak showing for such a large city.

PHOENIX
12-18-2005, 11:44 AM
They still play in Montreal so RUSH rocks!

Jérôme Frenchise
12-18-2005, 11:59 AM
There are a couple of Rush songs on the DVD recorded in Toronto in 2003, also featuring the Guess Who, AC/DC and the Stones (the Young bros jamming with the Stones on "Rock me baby", kickass!)...
RUSH play some really good rock, very classic but truly genuine and full of energy.

jero
12-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Fist time I heard the song "Anthem" it just blew me away!

ppg960
12-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Neil Peart is about the only drummer I can think of who can rival AVH.

Seshmeister
12-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Rival?

AVH is not even close to being on the same planet.

Guitman777
12-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Rush is one of my all time favorite bands and the R30 DVD is excellent, i wish they would have included the full set though. The mix and sound quality is better than Rush in Rio but both are still great DVD's. I hear they are going into the studio after the holidays to begin preparation for a new record. ALthough i liked Vapor Trails i hope the sound quality on their next record is better than that. I wish they would return to a more progressive style, but i'll still dig whatever they put out. I have their entire CD catalog and love it all, but definitely some better than others.

AVH is a very good drummer IMO, in the VH songs he tends to just lay back and groove. But his in concert solos are another thing entirely. His solo on Live RHRN is awesome, and his solo on the Balance tour video from Toronto is even better. I think AVH really improved over the years. But there is NO comparison between him and Neil Peart. ANother fantastic drummer and one of the best is Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater. DT is my favorite band and anybody into Rush will probably dig them, every member of that band is stellar. Their guitarist John Petrucci, what can i say this guy has a great tone and one heck of a blindingly fast picking technique...simply awesome.

slim magilicuti
12-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Yeah man! I like that song where there is this bad guy right....and he is is in these tobes with this good guy and they are beating each other up.....and they are monsters and shit....and every time the bad guy hits the good guy, the bass goes "brrrrrrrrrrrrrp" and every time the good guy hits the bad guy the guitar goes "weeeeeeweeeeeeweeeeee" and then one of them is victorious (I think the good guy) but then they get together for this wierd blues-like jam and then on the next album....they bring the bad guy back for another song but this time the bad guy, who was the bad guy in that song, is the good guy in this song....and there were parents and addicts and shit....wacky stuff I tell ya!

WACF
12-19-2005, 12:52 AM
This will be cool.

Rush Bringing Vintage Performances To DVD

December 16, 2005, 4:30 PM ET

Greg Prato, N.Y.
Although Rush released a new live DVD, "R30: 30th Anniversary World Tour," just last month, the veteran Canadian rock trio is planning on reissuing several classic live performances in 2006. To the delight of long time fans, their well-worn VHS copies of "Exit...Stage Left," "Grace Under Pressure Tour" and "A Show of Hands" will soon be replaced with DVD reissues.

"Everything's been remixed to 5.1, and that was the intention -- to keep it all intact, except for the remix," guitarist Alex Lifeson tells Billboard.com. "So it's available in surround." It remains to be decided if the releases will be made available individually or packaged together. "I'm guessing a box set -- that would make more sense," Lifeson says.

Lifeson says he enjoyed taking a trip down memory lane while refurbishing the material. "It was interesting to see the development in the arrangements, and how our sound changed over the course of a decade," he says. "I definitely found it fascinating, looking at that. And how the stage show changed over the years -- of course, [in] 10 years a lot of stuff changes. But it was a little fascinating to watch that, actually."

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001700074

Seshmeister
12-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by slim magilicuti
Yeah man! I like that song where there is this bad guy right....and he is is in these tobes with this good guy and they are beating each other up.....and they are monsters and shit....and every time the bad guy hits the good guy, the bass goes "brrrrrrrrrrrrrp" and every time the good guy hits the bad guy the guitar goes "weeeeeeweeeeeeweeeeee" and then one of them is victorious (I think the good guy) but then they get together for this wierd blues-like jam and then on the next album....they bring the bad guy back for another song but this time the bad guy, who was the bad guy in that song, is the good guy in this song....and there were parents and addicts and shit....wacky stuff I tell ya!

:)

http://www.donthaveacowman.com/Simpsons/Cards/Skybox-1/P1-F.jpg

Full Bug
12-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Rival?

You got that right bro, its not even close....

tama_drumster
12-19-2005, 06:15 PM
I have to agree with the AVH vs. Peart comparison -- Neil is on a different planet from pretty much everyone else, he blows guys like Bruford, Mastelloto, etc. out of the water. There's maybe a few drummers alive today that are as good.

BTY, the R30 disc does have a bunch of vintage footage and interviews. The 5.1 option sound awesome if you have a system that can handle it.

Seshmeister
12-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Peart is the only guy I can think of where the drum solo is a highlight of the show even for non drummers.

slim magilicuti
12-19-2005, 10:38 PM
DOOOOOD - how about that song where they are in that space ship from a John Dos Passos book and like....a black hole sucks them up! And then like on the next album .... the dude is like caught in between two armies that keep fighting - an army of like thinkers and and army of like partiers and then.....this guy who got sucked up in the black hole like can't figure out which side is better so he gets them to be friends and shit and they make him the God of Balance and they all smoke some fatties and shit! So fucking cool! Nuuuuuuge!

WACF
12-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Downloading Rush-Project R-30 New York right now.

It consists of 3 DVDs...I assume that is the one you speak of Mr. Badguy.

DLR_EngineRoom
12-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by tama_drumster
Hey everyone. Anyone like the progressive rock band RUSH? Those guys are just so incredibly talented, especially Neil Peart on those drums! Have any of you checked out their new double disc dvd "RUSH-R30?" I got myself a copy from a friend that works at umvd and talk about alot of great footage of the band right there. It comes with a high quality Germany 2004 concert and other footage of interviews, and music the band has done through the years. If you want to know more info, I could this article online: http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Releases/sanctuary/rush_r30.htm

see also related thread:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31195

Diamondjimi
12-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
There are a couple of Rush songs on the DVD recorded in Toronto in 2003, also featuring the Guess Who, AC/DC and the Stones (the Young bros jamming with the Stones on "Rock me baby", kickass!)...
RUSH play some really good rock, very classic but truly genuine and full of energy.

I was at the SARS Benefit concert . DC and Rush made my day.
The Stones were like a Vegas show band on autopilot.
But hey for $21.50 , not a bad deal !

The R-30 DVD is killer. The swag is pretty cool too.

fuckhowardstern
12-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by WACF
Downloading Rush-Project R-30 New York right now.

It consists of 3 DVDs...I assume that is the one you speak of Mr. Badguy.

Hey man - can you post a link to that...assuming you are downloading it from the internet that is......? It would be much appreciated!

BigBadBrian
12-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Rival?

No shit.

I about spit out my drink when I read the word "rival" in the first post.

:gulp:

Diamondjimi
12-22-2005, 03:03 AM
Here's a few captures from the new DVD......

Diamondjimi
12-22-2005, 03:07 AM
The Professor !

Diamondjimi
12-22-2005, 03:09 AM
Geddy-Frl by Night promo video. '74

WACF
12-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by fuckhowardstern
Hey man - can you post a link to that...assuming you are downloading it from the internet that is......? It would be much appreciated!

http://isohunt.com/torrents.php?ihq=Rush

DVD 1 & 2 are(were) on page 2 and DVD 3 is(was) on page 3.

They are torrents.

fuckhowardstern
12-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by WACF
http://isohunt.com/torrents.php?ihq=Rush

DVD 1 & 2 are(were) on page 2 and DVD 3 is(was) on page 3.

They are torrents.

Thanks for the link - I checked out the site and unfortunately, I do not have bit torrents nor do I even understand how it works. I did some reading in the chat room on the subject but I am kinda slow about these things....is it worth me getting up to speed does anyone think? And why can't there be one simple way to listen to / download music on the internet? What a PIA!

ELVIS
12-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Anybody know how to find the Easter Eggs ??

fuckhowardstern
12-22-2005, 09:35 AM
The first is on the Opening Menu. Hit the 'Right' arrow key on your remote control three times and the menu will reload with a new option, 'Rush Hits St. John's.' Cool clip.

On the 'Interviews' section, accessible form the Main Menu, highlight the menu entry 'Interviews and Anthem Vault' and then hit the 'Right' arrow key three times. You will see the guy with the broom on the left of the screen turn yellow. Now press the 'Enter' key on your remote control and you will see to 'Alex's Interview for Artist of the Decade.'

There is some current debate on the web as to whether or not there are more eggs yet undiscovered.

NATEDOG001976
12-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Rush rules! The best 3 man band ever!

WACF
12-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Yes, it is worth your time to read up on torrents.

That is how I got my Van Halen concert DVDs.

It takes time but worth it.

WACF
12-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by fuckhowardstern

There is some current debate on the web as to whether or not there are more eggs yet undiscovered.

I read on the Rush forum that those 2 are the only ones.

One dude went through the DVD with a DVD editor...so I take that is it.

I was positive when you are in the gallery that the reflection the floor whould be eggs...oh well.

R30 was money well spent...I picked up the set with the 2 cds included...not bad but the DVD still gets more of my time.