• LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

The Official West Wing Thread

Updated: 11:02 PM EST
    'West Wing' Actor John Spencer Dies at 58
    Emmy Award Winner Suffers a Heart Attack
    By LYNN ELBER, AP

NBCSpencer's 'West Wing' character Leo McGarry was making a run for the vice presidency this year.

John Spencer Dies at 58

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 16) - John Spencer, who played a tough and dedicated politico on "The West Wing" who survived a serious illness to run for vice president, died of a heart attack Friday. He was 58.

Spencer died after being admitted to a Los Angeles hospital during the night, said his publicist, Ron Hofmann. He would have been 59 on Tuesday.

He was "one of those rare combinations of divinely gifted and incredibly generous," said actor Richard Schiff, who played Toby Ziegler on the NBC series.

"There are very few personal treasures that you put in your knapsack to carry with you for the rest of your life, and he's one of those," Schiff said. He said Spencer had been struggling with health issues but seemed to have rebounded.

Spencer played Leo McGarry, the savvy and powerful chief of staff to President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet (Martin Sheen). In a sad parallel to life, Spencer's character suffered a heart attack that forced him to give up his White House job.

McGarry recovered and was picked as a running mate for Democratic presidential contender Matt Santos, played by Jimmy Smits; the campaign against Republican Arnold Vinick (Alan Alda) has been a central theme for the drama this season.

"John was an uncommonly good man, an exceptional role model and a brilliant actor," said Aaron Sorkin, who created the series, and Tommy Schlamme, one of the original executive producers, in a joint statement.

"We feel privileged to have known him and worked with him. He'll be missed and remembered every day by his many, many friends," they said.

Actress Allison Janney, C.J. Cregg on the series, described Spencer as a consummate professional actor. "Everyone adored him," she said.

''We're shocked and deeply saddened by the sudden death of our friend and colleague''

-- 'West Wing' creator Aaron Sorkin and former producer Tommy Schlamme

NBC and producer Warner Bros. Television praised Spencer's talent but did not address how his death would affect the Emmy Award-winning series, in production on its seventh season.

Spencer, who also starred on "L.A. Law" as attorney Tommy Mullaney, received an Emmy Award for his performance on "The West Wing" in 2002 and was nominated four other times for the series.

The actor, whose world-weary countenance was perfect for the role of McGarry, mirrored his character in several ways: Both were recovering alcoholics and both, Spencer once said, were driven.

"Like Leo, I've always been a workaholic, too," he told The Associated Press in a 2000 interview. "Through good times and bad, acting has been my escape, my joy, my nourishment. The drug for me, even better than alcohol, was acting."

Spencer grew up in Paterson, N.J., the son of blue-collar parents. With his enrollment at the Professional Children's School in Manhattan at age 16, he was sharing classes with the likes of Liza Minnelli and budding violinist Pinchas Zukerman.

As a teenager, he landed a recurring role on "The Patty Duke Show" as the boyfriend of English twin Cathy. Stage and film work followed. Then his big break: playing Harrison Ford's detective sidekick in the 1990 courtroom thriller "Presumed Innocent." That role led to his hiring for the final four years of "L.A. Law."

Spencer played a streetwise lawyer on the David E. Kelley drama that was in sharp contrast to the show's otherwise glamorous cast and setting.

After attending the Manhattan performing arts school, Spencer studied at Fairleigh Dickenson University. He then began working on stage in New York and in regional theaters, in plays including David Mamet's "Lakeboat" and Tennessee Williams' "The Glass Menagerie."

Spencer won an Obie Award for the 1981 off-Broadway production of "Still Life," about a Vietnam veteran, and received a Drama Desk nomination for "The Day Room."

His made his feature film debut with a small role in "War Games," which was followed by roles in "Sea of Love" and "Black Rain." Spencer said his work in "Presumed Innocent" represented a "watershed role."

In recent years, he worked both in studio and independent films, including "The Rock," "The Negotiator," "Albino Alligator," "Lesser Prophets" and "Cold Heart."

Spencer, an only child, is survived by "cousins, aunts, uncles, and wonderful friends," Hofmann said.

Associated Press Writer Jeremiah Marquez contributed to this report.

12/16/05 19:57 EST
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

This just breaks my heart.

I loved the guy.

The show jumped the shark after season 4, but Leo's character was great.

John was also great on LA Law.

58. fuck.

damn. damn. damn.

Comment

• Bob_R
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Rest in peace John
      Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

I haven't watched West Wing...for whatever reason...until the past couple of seasons...

like the political process of an election...

and enjoyed watching him in particular...and his role was about to take off...as they were going to use him in the VP role...and have him helping Josh in the backround running the campaign...

I watched him on LA Law as well...and he was fucking great on that show...

I can't even begin to see how this is going to play out...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

RIP

Here he is winning his emmy...

"Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Tributes paid to West Wing actor

Spencer described acting as "my escape, my nourishment"
            West Wing colleagues have paid tribute to actor John Spencer, who died of a heart attack in Los Angeles, just four days ahead of his 59th birthday.
            Spencer was best known for his role as Leo McGarry, chief of staff to the US president on hit series The West Wing.

He was "one of those rare combinations of divinely gifted and incredibly generous," said co-star Richard Schiff, who played Toby Ziegler on the show.

Aaron Sorkin, creator of the political series called Spencer "brilliant".

"John was an uncommonly good man, an exceptional role model and a brilliant actor," said Mr Sorkin, in a joint statement with Tommy Schlamme, one of the original executive producers on the NBC show.

"We feel privileged to have known him and worked with him. He'll be missed and remembered every day by his many, many friends."

Everyone adored him

Actress Allison Janney

Executive producer John Wells added his own tribute: "John was a wonderful actor, a pleasure to work with and a true gentleman, but most important, a generous and gracious friend," he said in a statement.

The seventh series of the political drama is currently being shown in the United States.

"There are very few personal treasures that you put in your knapsack to carry with you for the rest of your life, and he's one of those," said Schiff, of his co-star Spencer.

Co-star Schiff (far right) called Spencer "divinely gifted"

Actress Allison Janney, who plays CJ Cregg on the series, described Spencer as a consummate professional actor. "Everyone adored him," she said.

"We have all lost a dear, dear brother," added co-star Bradley Whitford, who plays long-running character Josh Lynam.

Spencer, 58, one of the principal actors in the West Wing ensemble, was nominated as best supporting actor at the Emmy awards each year from 1999 to 2004, winning the award in 2002.

Admired for a string of performances on the big and small screen playing no-nonsense bureaucrats, he was Mr Sorkin's first choice to play Leo McGarry.

"I said to the casting director, 'We need someone like John Spencer'," Mr Sorkin recalled. "And the casting director said, 'What about John Spencer?' And I said, 'We will never get John Spencer'. "

Spencer played chief of staff to Martin Sheen's President Barlet

Spencer accepted the role and made it his own.

Both the character and the actor were recovering alcoholics with a passion for hard work.

Like Spencer, his on-screen persona suffered a heart attack in the fifth season of the show.

But in a cruel twist of fate Leo McGarry was to recover sufficiently to appear in the new series.

Health issues

Schiff said Spencer had been struggling with health issues, but appeared to have recovered. The actor died less than a day after he checked into a Los Angeles hospital with a bad cold, according to his publicist.

Spencer had already appeared in half of the 14 episodes of the current season. Filming was halted for the holidays, but the remaining episodes were scheduled to be shot in January.

Writers and producers for the series are expected to gather this week to decide how to continue, a studio spokeswoman said.

At its peak The West Wing - currently showing on More Four - was one of the US TV's most popular series, but the much-praised drama has struggled to maintain its place in the ratings.

It is already thought the current seventh season could be the show's finale.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
              This just breaks my heart.

I loved the guy.

The show jumped the shark after season 4, but Leo's character was great.

John was also great on LA Law.

58. fuck.

damn. damn. damn.
              Spot on!

The WW is still watchable but it's definitely lost it's way a bit.

Spencer seemed to have played the same kind of character a lot but was always good. His character in Presumed Innocent or The Rock could have been the same guy as he played in LA Law. LA Law looks kind of dated and a little tacky now on cable reruns but I was a fan.

From IMDB.

Birth name
              John Speshock

Mini biography
              John was the only son of a lower middle-class family. His father, John Speshock, was a truck driver. His mother, Mildred, was a homemaker and an occasional waitress. He grew up near Paterson, New Jersey, but left at age 16 to attend the Professional Children's School. In 1963, he landed a recurring role on "The Patty Duke Show" (1963). After that ended, he attended Fairleigh Dickenson University and later New York University, but dropped out to return to acting. John had been an acknowledged alcoholic, who remained sober ever since getting therapy. He had quit smoking in 1999, which he described as "hell on earth".
              Funny reading that because I always pictured him as a hard drinking smoking intelligent guy from a humble background and it came through in his work giving it veracity. There's not enough US actors around like him and he won't be easily replaced. His long term girlfriend was 60.

I'm glad he lived long enough to enjoy getting his Emmy.

RIP.

Cheers!

Last edited by Seshmeister; 12-19-2005, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Great post Sesh....

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

Martin Sheen opened up the show today...with a brief tribute to John Spencer...and how they are going to honor his last weeks of work over the next couple of months...

Spencer opens the show getting ready for the VP debate...and Leo is struggling...

looks like at the very least...Spencer gets to shine at least once more before he died...

still pisses me off...

just picked up season 1 and 2 over the holidays...forgot just how good this show was...and still is...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Looking forward to watching it tonight.

Check out all of the behind the scenes interviews and the like, Poj. Killer stuff.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Yeah...the season 2 commentaries are pretty good...

This episode was fantastic...

Leo brings down the house...

Christ...I'm really curious to see how they handle this...

I was hoping they wouldn't end it this year...but I can't see it not being the last season...

intriguing what the series would be like with Jimmy Smits at the helm...

or Alan Alda for that matter...

No Sunday time slot though next year...with the NFL...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

Did Stephen Bochco take the show over?

Wondering how they got Smits...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Show jumped the shark to me after Sorkin left [or there abouts]

I wanted Alda to win, and have 2-4 seasons of Republican White House storylines....

Rob Lowe leaving over $$$ had to be right up there with "all time worst career moves in TV LMMFAO

And I want to do Mary Louise Parker

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think we're about a dozen episodes behind over on this side of the pond but I watched it tonight and it really isn't what it was.

Tonights episode here was basically 90% about Bartlett not feeling too good and the ludicrous UK ambassador character appeared again who for a supposedly savy show is just a 30 year out of date joke.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Oh, and Janel Maloney too....

humina humina

Comment

Working...