PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if it was posted...but got this off of Billboard

POJO_Risin
12-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Still Runnin' With The Devil
Dec. 09, 2005
By Chris M. Walsh

This much I know – Van Halen f***ing rules.

Sometimes it's easy to forget this, I know, because a lot has happened with the band over the years. There was a lead singer change, synthesizers began to edge guitars out of songs, a few bad records were whipped together and released, and I barely remember something about (gulp) Gary Cherone.

There's also the fact that they don't seem to release records any more. And that David Lee Roth now works as a radio DJ(?).

But go back 20 years, and Van Halen was the biggest band on the planet. If you were alive in the '80s and a fan of rock music, you have spent some time with a Van Halen record in your hands. At least you should have. And here's why...

But before we get into this, I should start off my telling you about some of my early formative experiences with music, all of which involved Van Halen. Like the time I was 10 and I had to trick my mother -- who's mantra was "You're not buying a Van Halen record, they do drugs. And no, you're not buying an Ozzy Osbourne record, he bit the head off a bat, he does more drugs." -— into bringing me to K-mart to buy "Diver Down" ("Mom, I want to buy a Kenny Rogers record" I said and pulled the old bait-and-switch once we were there).

And there was my first concert -- David Lee Roth at the Worcester Centrum in Massachusetts in 1986 (hello acid washed jeans and mullet hair). But at the end of the day, what really comes out of these stories is that Van Halen was the music I grew up on, the first band I got in to, the band that got me excited about music.

And because for me, Van Halen is that band -- we all have one, that band that acted as our "rock-n-roll training wheels," the one we will tirelessly and endlessly defend -- you might be brushing this opinion to the side and thinking, "Yeah that's great, but we're talking about Van Halen, right? David Lee Roth, the former EMT, was in that band, right? The band that went pop with Sammy Hagar? What are they doing now anyway?"

But I don't care that they haven't put out a record in seven years, or a good one in more than 10, or that Eddie Van Halen dragged his kid on stage to perform guitar solos with him on the last tour. I just don't care.

Here's why -– and here's where I push the junior high nostalgia aside -- at one point in rock history Van Halen was the best rock band in America. Period. And during this time they made some absolutely brilliant rock records ("Van Halen II," "Fair Warning" and their debut, "Van Halen"). These records, by far, are better than most of the rock that comes out today and they are as good or better than most of the stuff that's come out in the past 30 years.

F***ing A.

guwapo_rocker
12-17-2005, 10:38 AM
YEP!!

Jιrτme Frenchise
12-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Well, thank you for that find, POJO, and hats off to that Chris Walsh!

POJO_Risin
12-17-2005, 10:45 AM
I do find it interesting that he talks about Roth pretty much exclusively...

but...fails to say that they haven't had a good album since Roth...

just not a good album in "...more than 10 years..."

matt19
03-23-2006, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Still Runnin' With The Devil
Dec. 09, 2005
By Chris M. Walsh

This much I know – Van Halen f***ing rules.

Sometimes it's easy to forget this, I know, because a lot has happened with the band over the years. There was a lead singer change, synthesizers began to edge guitars out of songs, a few bad records were whipped together and released, and I barely remember something about (gulp) Gary Cherone.

There's also the fact that they don't seem to release records any more. And that David Lee Roth now works as a radio DJ(?).

But go back 20 years, and Van Halen was the biggest band on the planet. If you were alive in the '80s and a fan of rock music, you have spent some time with a Van Halen record in your hands. At least you should have. And here's why...

But before we get into this, I should start off my telling you about some of my early formative experiences with music, all of which involved Van Halen. Like the time I was 10 and I had to trick my mother -- who's mantra was "You're not buying a Van Halen record, they do drugs. And no, you're not buying an Ozzy Osbourne record, he bit the head off a bat, he does more drugs." -— into bringing me to K-mart to buy "Diver Down" ("Mom, I want to buy a Kenny Rogers record" I said and pulled the old bait-and-switch once we were there).

And there was my first concert -- David Lee Roth at the Worcester Centrum in Massachusetts in 1986 (hello acid washed jeans and mullet hair). But at the end of the day, what really comes out of these stories is that Van Halen was the music I grew up on, the first band I got in to, the band that got me excited about music.

And because for me, Van Halen is that band -- we all have one, that band that acted as our "rock-n-roll training wheels," the one we will tirelessly and endlessly defend -- you might be brushing this opinion to the side and thinking, "Yeah that's great, but we're talking about Van Halen, right? David Lee Roth, the former EMT, was in that band, right? The band that went pop with Sammy Hagar? What are they doing now anyway?"

But I don't care that they haven't put out a record in seven years, or a good one in more than 10, or that Eddie Van Halen dragged his kid on stage to perform guitar solos with him on the last tour. I just don't care.

Here's why -– and here's where I push the junior high nostalgia aside -- at one point in rock history Van Halen was the best rock band in America. Period. And during this time they made some absolutely brilliant rock records ("Van Halen II," "Fair Warning" and their debut, "Van Halen"). These records, by far, are better than most of the rock that comes out today and they are as good or better than most of the stuff that's come out in the past 30 years.

F***ing A. Can i Get an amen!?

FORD
03-23-2006, 03:29 AM
AMEN!

bueno bob
03-23-2006, 03:56 AM
Hallelujah!

...Holy shit!!

Hardrock69
03-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Great post! Nice to see it in Billboard as well!

Time for Deadward to get his fucking teeth fixed and actually release some music.

Ya know, what I find absolutely fucking stupid is that Alex refuses to jam with anyone but Ed.

Is his tongue so far up Deadward's asshole that he cannot tear himself away to go play with anyone else?

A REAL musician would be itching to play.....period!

I cannot think of any musician at their level who has ever acted that way.

I mean, even if a successful musician has a great band, platinum records, etc. they still go jam with other musicians occasionally, or perhaps get the itch to do some kinda solo record on the side, or maybe even produce some other bands.....

Alexis Wifeybeat has never played on anyone else's record, never produced anything for anyone else, never gone out jamming at the club.....in fact I have NEVER seen ANY report of him EVER playing with ANYONE other than his loser brother and the bass player...

Sounds like an egomaniacal fool if you ask me...
:rolleyes: