• Show
Clear All
  • Pink Spider
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

The Troubling Arc of Media Concentration

The Troubling Arc of Media Concentration
    Editorial

Common Dreams has been providing breaking news & views for the progressive community since 1997. We are independent, non-profit, advertising-free and 100% reader supported. Our Mission: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.

The United States once had a rule that no company could own more than 40 radio stations. In 1996, the Federal Communications Commission repealed the rule. By Dec. 31, 2003, Clear Channel Communications Inc. of San Antonio, Texas, had amassed 1,182 U.S. radio stations, including KUBE-FM and KJR-AM/FM here. It also owned 145,895 billboards nationwide, including almost every one in Portland and Seattle.

Business success is a good thing, and is as necessary in the news industry as any other. But it is not the only thing. Our democracy requires a diversity of voices and of owners. The growth of Clear Channel shows what can happen when all restraints come off.

The FCC's proposal regarding TV stations is not to take all restraints off, but to cut a large slice off a loaf already diminished. Companies that were allowed to have TV stations reaching no more than 25 percent of the U.S. market until 1996, and no more than 35 percent until last year, would go to 39 percent. Where owners have been allowed two TV stations they generally would be allowed three. And for the first time, it would be generally permitted for one company to own a TV station and a daily newspaper in the same city.

Media owners who itch for this authority swear they are business people, not propagandists, and have no intent to flavor the flow of information. But ownership brings that ability. Compare the tone of CNN with Fox News, or Fox with National Public Radio.

Five owners now dominate American television: Viacom, which owns CBS; Disney, which owns ABC; News Corp., which owns Fox; General Electric, which owns NBC; and AOL Time Warner.

If the FCC lets these companies get bigger — and that is the proposal — they will. And once they are big, their bigness will not be undone.

The news industry in America is already far down the road to media concentration — too far, in our view. Last summer, when the FCC proposed to go further, there was a roar from the public, and the House of Representatives voted 400-21 to stop it right there. Courts have since intervened, and it is not clear what will happen.

But FCC Chairman Michael Powell has not given up on his quest to allow big media companies to get bigger. Our representatives should be prepared to stop him again.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Media consolidation will prove to be the downfall of this country.

Air America is a good thing, but it's about 10 years too late to prevent the damage.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Air America will fail...

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Probably what somebody said about Limpdick at first. And how many people said that about Stern?
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• John Ashcroft
          Veteran
          • Jan 2004

Man guys, I mean, come on! The libs have controlled all forms of mass media for years. Now we have Foxnews, and you all are throwing a fit.

It's been also known for years that sure enough, media owners are conservative, and the staff is liberal. This is undenyable since they've admitted this year after year. So, it was a fine and dandy relationship untill just recently? Listen to yourselves. I mean, Kerry (the most liberal in the Senate via his voting record) is seriously considering Tom Brokaw for VP. I only imagine the reaction of the "mainstream" press had Bush considered Robert Novak for VP in 2000. And yet you still are trying to convince us the sky is indeed red!?!

And another thing, de-regulation has pretty much always led to more choice, better products, and cheaper rates. You all know this as well. Government has proven itself for pretty much ever as an inefficient entity that routinely fucks up every endeavor it's undertaken. Prices always increase, and quality always decreases upon Government intervention. Have any of you ever been to a Social Security office?

The real problem is that you lefties don't like the idea that your stranglehold on the mass media is beginning to crack. I guess I don't blame you for your panic, but honesty is the only way to take corrective measures. You've got to honestly evaluate the situation before you can ever hope to "correct" it (quotes in this case...) And if you're honest with yourselves, you'll conclude that your policy has failed, and America is in the process of rejecting it. We're tired of "boogey-man" stories and class warfare. Get some new lines, or get used to being the minority party for a while to come. Mark my words.

Comment

• Pink Spider
            Sniper
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by John Ashcroft
            Man guys, I mean, come on! The libs have controlled all forms of mass media for years. Now we have Foxnews, and you all are throwing a fit.

It's been also known for years that sure enough, media owners are conservative, and the staff is liberal. This is undenyable since they've admitted this year after year. So, it was a fine and dandy relationship untill just recently? Listen to yourselves. I mean, Kerry (the most liberal in the Senate via his voting record) is seriously considering Tom Brokaw for VP. I only imagine the reaction of the "mainstream" press had Bush considered Robert Novak for VP in 2000. And yet you still are trying to convince us the sky is indeed red!?!

And another thing, de-regulation has pretty much always led to more choice, better products, and cheaper rates. You all know this as well. Government has proven itself for pretty much ever as an inefficient entity that routinely fucks up every endeavor it's undertaken. Prices always increase, and quality always decreases upon Government intervention. Have any of you ever been to a Social Security office?

The real problem is that you lefties don't like the idea that your stranglehold on the mass media is beginning to crack. I guess I don't blame you for your panic, but honesty is the only way to take corrective measures. You've got to honestly evaluate the situation before you can ever hope to "correct" it (quotes in this case...) And if you're honest with yourselves, you'll conclude that your policy has failed, and America is in the process of rejecting it. We're tired of "boogey-man" stories and class warfare. Get some new lines, or get used to being the minority party for a while to come. Mark my words.
            Media deregulation means more choices? Think about that for a moment. How does Clear Channel buying every radio station in sight give us more choices!? How will giving the right to a company to buy out their competitors be better competition? That's what your fearless leader, Shrub would call fuzzy logic.

And give us a break about the "liberal media" stuff. You're a mainstream Republican that buys every piece of GOP/corporate, "free" market propaganda there is and manage to keep up the same rhetoric in every post. Of course everything looks "liberal" from where you're sitting. Kerry is a liberal? Call us when you rejoin the real world.

Btw, do you just cut and paste your arguments? I haven't seen a new one recently. That "get some new lines" line was funny and ironic at the same time. If they would just add a "Ashcroft bot" to this forum to call liberalism a "failed ideology" and suck up to Bush and the corporate market in every post, we'd never notice you missing. :p

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

It's just that you and FORD are ultra paranoid liberal and everything looks like it's comming to get you...

Comment

Working...