PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Question

jacksmar
12-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Sometime ago, Marshall issued a desktop preamp or something of that order. I need to know the model number of this little piece. It was only on the market for a short time, and now that I'm traveling....

Any help is always appreciated.

Hardrock69
12-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Desktop preamp?

You mean like a software amp model?

If so this is the first I have heard of it.

jacksmar
12-20-2005, 02:51 AM
It may have been a floor unit. It had a master, high, bass, presence, and vol set of knobs. It was only out for like a year.

BrownSound1
12-20-2005, 02:55 AM
Are you talking about a rackmount tube preamp? That is the JMP-1, but they still make that, as far as I know. I don't know of any amp modellers that Marshall makes. They do make some overdrive pedals, but that's about it.

Hardrock69
12-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Yeah that is pretty much all I have ever seen...the rackmount preamp and the stomp boxes...

Try eBay...

jhale667
12-20-2005, 06:00 PM
The JMP-1 is the only one I know of as well (this from a once guitar sales geek)...Marshall and 'amp modelling' seem like mutually exclusive terms...;)

ELVIS
12-20-2005, 07:01 PM
The JMP-1 sounds like shit...

I don't think that's what this einstein is talking about though...

jhale667
12-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
The JMP-1 sounds like shit...

I don't think that's what this einstein is talking about though...

Yeah, they sound like ass. :D Ah, but perhaps he's referring the the Vox (Korg, Marshall, same company) Valvestate desktop doo-hickey? My friend had one of THOSE for a minute, and he promptly re-christened it the "Valve-SUCK"...LOL

BrownSound1
12-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Well Korg is the distributor..but they don't own Marshall.

jhale667
12-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Well Korg is the distributor..but they don't own Marshall.

OK, I should have said 'Distributor' or 'Parent -company'....oopsie. LOL :D

jacksmar
12-21-2005, 10:38 PM
INE-STEEEN found it!!!!

Marshall DRP-1

Anyone used this thing? Tone?:confused:

Hardrock69
12-22-2005, 01:16 AM
I see ...direct recording preamp....

you too can put an end to mic placement...just plug right in ladies and germs!!

I'll be dangded.

I didn't know those existed.

I would be curious as to how it sounded as well.

But is it a solid-state preamp? Or does it have, say, a single 12AX7 in it or something?

Hardrock69
12-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Here is a review from http://www.amptone.com/marshalldrp1.htm

Price Paid: US $129.00

The non-boost channel is reminiscent of the old "no master-volume" marshalls and sounds best with the master maxed-out. Crank the gain all the way up...and stick an overdrive in front, too. Boost channel is more like modern marshalls, and will roar with authority. Speaker emulation is pretty darn good, and if you get the bass tone knob up to about 3 oclock you actually get some of that good ol' marshall "thud." It's hard to get the thing to sound really good through headphones, as the line out(headphone out) volume has to be up a bit for the beast to develop full tonality...and then it can be a little too loud for comfort.

Very "tube-y" sounding for a solid state device. Direct to tape it sounds like a Marshall. Much more authentic "marshall" sound than sansamp, etc. It won't replace a JMP-1, but it costs less than 25% of the JMP-1's price. It does a good job of "marshallizing" the front end of an amp, as well. And awhile back I ran an fx send from the console to a 50DB pad and thence to a transformer and into the DRP-1. Cranked up all gains to max and used it as a snare drum effect...with the right balance it nicely livened and "trashed up" a pretty boring snare drum sound. No reason it has to just be a guitar preamp, eh?

There is a pamphlet with you that shows you how to set it up as just a preamp, or for direct recording. No indications of good settings for specific sounds, which is a shame, but it is fairly easy to use and experiment - just tweak the knobs. Have yet to work out if it can be used as just as speaker emulator (might be handy for gigs, putting guitar into the PA without troublesome mics - guitar amp DI->DRP1->PA?).

There is some hum if you crank things up to maximum, and there are sources of eletrical noise about, such as computer monitors.

The basic sound goes from clean to quite crunchy. You can get a great early Neil Young sound out of it.

Turn on the boost as it is more traditional sounding Marshall territory, up to really quite high gain with some additional sustain. Definitely has a tube sound to it (a friend commented on this), and goes right up to fuzzy sounds with a hint of speaker break up. You can get some good early Led Zep sounds.

The speaker emulation seems to work. Not as good as actually miking up a 4x12 (it claims to be a 4x12 emulation). Slightly fizzier, although Marshalls can sound a bit fizzy (I'm more of a Fender man really, but Fender don't make anything comparable, and it is nice to have a Marshall sound for when you need it).

My criticism is that it can sometimes sound a little thinner than I'd like when playing solo, but that having been said, it sits well in a mix. Great for early rock sounds like Young and Led Zep, both of whom used fairly thin guitar sounds at the time.

I have used it on its own, used it during recording a CD demo, but I mainly use it in the first effect loop of my Zoom 9150 to give better speaker emulation, and an expanded range of tones (and if needed completely over the top square wave distortion). It emulates speakers better than the Zoom does.

I have it for direct recording so I don't annoy the neighbours, so I wouldn't gig with it (I'm a bassist anyway), but a friend used it to warm up his amp live, and it worked. Used it for recording when two guitar amps blew up, and did basically all the electric guitar with it, and it sounded fine. Mine has worked perfectly.

Has gain to set the drive level, a boost channel selector micro-switch (not footswitchable), a master volume, bass middle and treble and a line out volume. The back panel consists of input, line out, pre-amp/FX out, stereo FX return and phones.

The unit works better with the line-level set low, and the master volume cranked to about 75%. The tone section then gets a much better signal to work with. These DO need to be set very carefuly to get the best out of it...don't walk in, set it all to 80% and expect it to sound good...it won't. On the clean side, things are very usable with some great sounds from country through to jazz/fusion. Switch the channel onto boost and things just get better! The gain covers everything from Fender twins to full-blown stacks! I found the gain on about 60-70% is about right...anything more and the Duncan's in my Eggle just overloaded the thing! Be careful when you try this in a shop...I used a Epiphone SG and was very near to not buying it. The assistant suggested I try an Explorer Custom Shop with DiMarzio's, and that sold me. As with most Marshall stuff, you DO need good pickups to get nice rich harmonics and a chunky distortion. The DRP1 is supposed to be used as a direct recording preamp...no waking up the street with your 4x12 when you put down a killer solo at 3:00am!!! All I can say is that it works! No fizz, and using the Line Out puts in the 4x12 emulator (not switchable) and there's very little hum and buzz except on monster gain settings, and then what do you expect!

I think I've got a steal. Brilliant for home recording, no cabs to set up and although the emulator is basic, it's about right. Plug your rack FX into it and use it as a practice amp, or on it's own anywhere (it's battery powered!) or even carry it as a spare pre-amp in case your rack goes down (it's 6" x 4" and weighs about 12 oz!) Every guitarist should try one. I'll certainly be taking it out as a back-up pre-amp in case my JMP-1 ever fails and would have no qualms about using it in a home/small studio environment where it's just impossible to use a miked cab.

Whole buncha reviews at Harmony Central:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Marshall/DRP_1_Direct_Recording_Preamp-1.html

ELVIS
12-22-2005, 02:44 AM
Junk!

Hardrock69
12-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Says in the specs it is solid state.

I hate solid state.

Goddamnable transistors.

Though I have to admit, sometimes you can get decent solid state amps that sound good on tape.

I have a Crate 65-watt 1 X 12 combo amp that sounds kickass as a recording amp, but live it sounds like a pussy compared to my Marshall.

ELVIS
12-23-2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I have a Crate 65-watt 1 X 12 combo amp that sounds kickass as a recording amp,

I highly doubt that...

I'm quite sure it sounds like total crap...

jacksmar
12-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Elvis, please tell me you’re not one of those anti SS nazis!!!!!:guitar:

Hardrock69
12-23-2005, 01:22 PM
I highly doubt that...

I'm quite sure it sounds like total crap...

Yes, just as do ALL of your guitars and amps.

While you are at it, why don't you sell all your gear?

You obviously don't even know how to tune a guitar...

:D

jhale667
12-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by jacksmar

We prefer the term "Tube Aficionado". :gulp: Though I wouldn't discount Dimebag's Solid-State tone for one, if you notice even he had switched to tubes in the end.

...I still wanna check out one of those 'Krankensteins', BTW:rolleyes:

BrownSound1
12-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Solid state amps have their place....in the junkyard.

Guitar amps have to be tubes or I won't give them a second look.

jhale667
12-23-2005, 05:08 PM

Now, c'mon...they also make good foot-rests ;)

BrownSound1
12-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
Now, c'mon...they also make good foot-rests ;)

You've got a point there....or as a makeshift stool.

ELVIS
12-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by jacksmar

No, I've heard alot of solid state stuff that sounds just fine...

I tried that Marshall pedal years ago when this guy had one...

It sounds like buzzy sizzly total crap...

I also said the JMP-1 sound like crap...

Unusable...

I've heard alot of tube amps that sound like crap also, particularly Marshall, other than the ones I own...

In fact, I think most gear sounds bad...

How's that ??

:elvis:

ELVIS
12-23-2005, 08:13 PM

I used to think like that...

Not anymore...

BrownSound1
12-24-2005, 12:07 AM
So tell me one solid state amp that can compete with a tube amp in the tone and feel department.

Now modelling amps I put in a bit of a different category than a regular transistor-based amp. On a recording they can probably fool us all, but that's only half of the equation. Modelling amps for instance feel so stiff and non-responsive, compared to a tube amp. For me that is half of the experience, and I've yet to hear one get that "chime" you get with a Super Lead.

jhale667
12-24-2005, 01:45 AM
I've tried to like modelling, really I have, but the last time I tracked rhythms with a POD for my own shit, I ended up going back and re-tracking them with my real amp. No comparison...sounded better...and felt better so I ended up playing better as a result. I kept a couple of the clean tones...anything dirty got re-done.

BrownSound1
12-24-2005, 12:25 PM
I hope modelling does get better...I'm pulling for that technology.

jhale667
12-24-2005, 03:18 PM
It's definitely quicker than miking up ye ol' halfstack...now if only it would REACT the same way....

ELVIS
12-25-2005, 01:17 AM
You have to be creative...

I combine all three technologies for my recording tone...

I goota go to sleep, but we will get into this soon...;)

thome
12-25-2005, 01:22 AM
THERE WILL BE JUS A liL bIT aBOT tHIS

Hardrock69
12-26-2005, 04:36 PM
We just need to get where digital audio info does not involve sampling.

I mean cds are sampled audio at 44.1 Khz.

Fuck that.....make it a continuous sample like analog tape.

Analog rools...

ELVIS
12-26-2005, 05:16 PM
It's not that simple...

jhale667
12-26-2005, 11:28 PM
It's not that simple...

Not even close. The whole problem with modelling is no matter what the sampling rate or whatever, there's NO program or patch that's going to completely emulate the sound of my Boogie (or your Marshall, or Fender, or whatever) blaring through a 4X12. Speaker simulation's cool too, but it can't duplicate the proximity effect my standing closer to my cab is going to have on my sustain, nor can it generate living, musical feedback like a real amp. When it can do all that, I'm sold. But even in its current state it sure is convenient...and truthfully only snobs like US can tell the difference. ;)

Hardrock69
12-27-2005, 01:10 AM
LOL yeah.

I have a Roland VS-1680 that I use for demos and stuff.

In the FX cards there is a Soldano Amp model that sounds marvy.

I still believe though that it can never replace the proximity effect either.

I have yet to hear ANY Model that sounds as good as my 1979 100-Watt Marshall Super Lead head.

No way.

BrownSound1
12-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Yeah the problem with emulating a tube amp isn't so much emulating the circuits, but rather the other factors that come into play. With a tube amp, you have some mechanical things going on that effect the tone as well. Speaker break-up for instance is one thing that is very hard to emulate but yet is such an essential part of the overall tone of the classic amps. I guess those of you who love those buzzy high gain amps don't really have to deal with that, but it is something that every great guitar tone from Hendrix to VH had. Another thing you have is the vibration of the filaments in tubes as you get louder. It almost creates a reverb type of effect, which is part of the "charm."

Now for demo recording I almost always use some type of "direct" recording with either a preamp or a plug-in for my recording software. Mainly because I'm doing it at night and my wife and kids are trying to sleep. :D However I would NEVER EVER EVER use an emulator or modelled amp on a live gig. I have a very good friend who recently bought a Line 6 Flextone whatever. While I admit I can see some advantages in not having to mic the amp, the disadvantages for me outweigh that.

ELVIS
12-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Well, first of all, I think we need to start posting licks and samples of our tone so we can hear what we're talking about...

I'm interested in what other people have come up with...

My basic recording setup is this:

ADA MP-1 preamp (analog) into a Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro (digital modeling) into a DBX 2215 (analog) with type III noise reduction, into a Behringer Eurorack UB1832FX-Pro (digital) mixing console into a Digidesign Audio Media III sound card for Pro Tools...

I love my Behringer Bass V-Amp! The Denoiser on it really works great!

For my live sound I use the Behringer also:

ADA MP-1--> Bass V-amp--> Two Marshall Super Lead heads, one for each channel in stereo...

I have a collection old analog rack mount effects for chorus, flange, echo, you name it...

I also have various Wah wah and other effects pedals that I can insert just about anywhere in my crazy signal path...

My latest toy is my Digitech JHE (Jimi Hendrix Experience) pedal...

I absolutely LOVE it! Totally different than my sound and I can insert it in different places for different sounds...

This modeling pedal does EXACTLY what Digitech claims it does, NEATO!

My signal is stereo, but I can make it mono depending on my mood...:)

Something cool I've been doing is running my basic tone on one channel and the JHE pedal on the other...

Believe my, my living room sounds cool with two Marshall half stacks and my monitor system powered by a Peavey CS1000x with Custom (myself) made Cerwin Vega speakers...

More to come...;)

ELVIS
12-27-2005, 01:55 PM
BTW, my ADA MP1 is my baby...

All analog with two 12AX7's...

http://www.chrisguitars.com/ada-mp1-0508.jpg

It's been the basis of my tone since I stumbled upon mine in 1989...

It's never given me a bit of trouble...

I'm about to get another from ebay, just waiting for one in mint condition...

ELVIS
12-27-2005, 02:04 PM
And yes, I do exactly what you're probably scratching your head about...

I run a tube preamp into a digital modeling preamp into a tube power amp...

Best tone I've ever had...

Extremely versitile, too...

I can make it big or I can make it small, and I can take it with me anywhere...

I can even get my tone through headphones...

ELVIS
12-27-2005, 11:42 PM
Check this out...

I just found a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe at a pawn shop for $300...

Brand new, not a scratch...

It even came with the cover, but no footswitch...

http://www.inslide.com/121505/HotRod.jpg

BrownSound1
12-28-2005, 12:07 AM
300 bucks? Not bad at all. Does it have the footswitch with it as well? I've got a little Pro Junior that I like. 1 volume and 1 tone control....it was meant to be played wide open. :D Strange thing about it is it has EL84 power tubes...very un-Fender like.

I would love to have a '57 Twin like Clapton plays on the Cream DVD. Those things rock ass.

ELVIS
12-28-2005, 01:11 AM
I SAID it didn't have the footswitch!!!

LMAO !! ;)

They said they sold it accidentaly with another amp, so they cut $50 off of the price...

It works great, but I don't care for the drive tone, too buzzy, but I won't use it like that anyway...

Tomorrow, we'll see what it does cranked through a 412 Marshall cab with vintage greenbacks...

BrownSound1
12-28-2005, 03:11 AM
Damn...I missed that big as hell. LOL How does it sound at full volume? If I remember correctly those things have a drive knob on them...just wondered how it sounded with the drive backed off and the volume on wide ass open, the way God intended tube amps to be. :D

ELVIS
12-28-2005, 06:09 PM
It has a separate clean, volume only channel that sounds awesome...

Super loud amp!

BrownSound1
12-29-2005, 01:17 AM
Nothing beats a Fender for a clean tone. Get a Strat, put the selector on the back and middle p'ups, or neck and middle, and there you go. Plus I absolutely love the reverb circuits they make...seems like they get theirs made by little elves, as opposed to everyone else's. I had a Twin that could part the Red Sea on sheer volume, yet it would remain clean until you got it past 8 or so. Loud as hell isn't even a close description...it would literally hurt a muhfucker. Pop a Strat or Tele to the bridge only and play Long Train Runnin' and you'd get an asswhipping from that amp. Speaking of which, I need an asswhipping for ever parting with that Twin....

ELVIS
12-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Wow!

I have a Fender 210 cabinet that's part of my Bass rig, and the Deluxe sounds awesome through it...

The stock speaker sounds like crap in comparison...

As soon as I get back from Miami, I'm replacing the speaker with a Celestion Vintage 30, or something like that...

BrownSound1
12-30-2005, 11:01 PM
I bet that Deluxe has some shit ass Eminence speaker in it. Needs an old Jensen for the total Fender effect....but a Celestion is just fine. I've never been a fan of the Vintage 30, but I sure would put a G12H30 in the bastard. :D

ELVIS
12-30-2005, 11:12 PM
It has an Eminence...

Yeah, I'm gonna go with a G12H...

My orange Marshall cabinet has real 1972 G12H's...

BrownSound1
12-30-2005, 11:47 PM
30 watt greenbacks...awesome! Those colored heads and cabs kick ass. I bet that orange is sweet.

ELVIS
12-31-2005, 05:14 AM
Yeah man !!

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=759987

ZahZoo
12-31-2005, 10:54 AM
I bet that Deluxe has some shit ass Eminence speaker in it. Needs an old Jensen for the total Fender effect....but a Celestion is just fine. I've never been a fan of the Vintage 30, but I sure would put a G12H30 in the bastard. :D

I've got an old beat up 64 blonde bassman 2-12 cabinet with 1 original Jensen in it and another that came out of 72 twin. Sounded good with the original bassman head but I parted ways with it last year to it's original owner. I'm thinking of loading with a couple of G12H30's... I wonder what I can get for the old Jensen speakers?

BrownSound1
12-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Check evilBay and see what they're going for.

If I were going to put some replacement speakers in an old Fender then I'd probably get some Webers. I haven't personally used them, but everyone I talk to that has, loves 'em. Plus he's got some cool other stuff besides speakers. Attenuators, bias probes, all kinds of stuff.

Check it out: http://www.tedweber.com

ELVIS
01-01-2006, 06:24 AM
evilBay...

:D

Phil theStalker
01-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Wot dat fak was da question?

:spank:

Phil theStalker
01-01-2006, 10:18 AM
40 bucks.