PDA

View Full Version : Brooks & Dunn to Open for Stones

Julius
12-20-2005, 07:42 PM
http://www.comcast.net/entertainment/index.jsp?cat=ENTERTAINMENT&fn=/2005/12/20/287951.html

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - One of country's hardest rock bands will open for one of rock's hardest country bands. Brooks & Dunn will warm up for the Rolling Stones in Omaha, Neb., Jan. 29.

"We've thrown around the concept of opening for the Stones forever," singer Ronnie Dunn said Tuesday. "I can't believe we're doing it."

When the duo got word of the invitation from their manager, they were told not to call or tell anyone until it was final.

"Of course, we started calling our friends as fast as we could as soon as we walked out of the room," he said.

Though billed as the world's greatest rock and roll band, the Stones have drawn from country music over much of their storied career. Their early 1970s albums "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile on Main Street," in particular, had strong country influences often attributed to Keith Richards' friendship with Gram Parsons of the Flying Burrito Brothers and previously of The Byrds.

Over the years, Richards has worked with George Jones and Willie Nelson, and the Stones _ individually or collectively _ have covered songs by Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, the Everly Brothers and others.

Country artists in turn recorded a tribute to the Rolling Stones in 1997 called "Stone Country," which had artists like Tracy Lawrence singing "Paint It Black," Sammy Kershaw "Angie" and Colin Raye "Brown Sugar."

Like many country performers, Kix Brooks said he and Dunn grew up listening to the Stones and performing their songs. Between them, they've seen the group in concert nearly a dozen times.

"We were influenced by classic country acts like Merle Haggard and George Jones and Hank Williams but also by Clapton and the Stones and all the rock acts like that," Brooks said. "I mean, what guitar player didn't start out with 'Satisfaction'?"

The roots rock influence is apparent in Brooks & Dunn's music, especially their recent albums. The songs are soulful, with slide guitar, horns, organ and soaring gospel choruses. Alongside straight ahead country numbers are songs that echo artists like Leon Russell, Tom Petty, Lynyrd Skynyrd and vintage Stones.

"I'm sure we've gotten as close to their licks as we can without ripping them off," joked Brooks.

The nod to '70s rock and soul is deliberate. After studying theology at Abilene Christian College in Texas, Dunn moved to Tulsa, Okla., where Russell's Shelter Records was based, and artists such as J.J. Cale, The Gap Band and, occasionally, Clapton visited or recorded.

"I soaked up all that stuff," Dunn said.

By opening for the Rolling Stones, Brooks & Dunn become an instant trivia question for obsessive Stones fans. The group's opening act announcements can be as anticipated as their set lists, with everyone from Metallica to the Black-Eyed Peas to Beck warming up the crowd in recent years.

Other than shortening their act to fit the opening slot, Brooks said the duo won't change much on Jan. 29.

"I don't think we should try to do what the Stones do," Brooks said. "Hopefully, it will be the best of what we do."

Yeeeeehaaaaawwwwwwww!

Julius
12-20-2005, 07:44 PM
I couldn't find the 'I Could Give a Shit' forum so I posted it here.

FORD
12-20-2005, 08:04 PM
I wonder if Mick will come out on stage and do the "Boot Scootin Boogie" ? ;)

Unchainme
12-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Not a Huge Stones fan, know them kinda well. But didn't they auctually at one time tried to record a few country songs?

FORD
12-20-2005, 08:59 PM
They have recorded several country songs.

"Factory Girl"

"Country Honk"

"Dead Flowers"

"Far Away Eyes"

"Torn and Frayed"

"No Use In Cryin"

"Blinded By Love"

"The Worst"

Just to name a few......

NATEDOG001976
12-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Damm country shit!

diamondD
12-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Still waiting on the announcement for the Little Rock show. It was freaking Alanis Morrisette in NYC in Sept, which lent more time to kill beers and people watch.

FORD
12-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by diamondD
Still waiting on the announcement for the Little Rock show. It was freaking Alanis Morrisette in NYC in Sept, which lent more time to kill beers and people watch.

So you'll go to NYC or Seattle to see a concert, but not Nashville? ;)

Wayne L.
12-21-2005, 11:18 AM
The FIRST & only time Brooks & Dunn will be cool after all these years since I became aware of them back in 91 is opebing for the Stones.

VanJay011379
12-21-2005, 11:22 AM
I saw Brooks & Dunn with my ex-girlfriend a few years back. They are actually a pretty good live band.

bueno bob
12-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Well, from Metallica to Brooks & Dunn to...A.C.? The Accused?

BURZUM?????

:)

Matt White
12-21-2005, 12:19 PM
"Dead Flowers" & "Wild Horses"....BRILLIANT

rustoffa
12-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Gram Parsons is rollin' over in his grave!

rustoffa
12-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Well, from Metallica to Brooks & Dunn to...A.C.? The Accused?

BURZUM?????

You're onto something here....

If ANYTHING could get Varg outta prison, it'd be The Stones!
;)

NATEDOG001976
12-22-2005, 09:38 AM
This is bull-shit!

bueno bob
12-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
You're onto something here....

If ANYTHING could get Varg outta prison, it'd be The Stones!
;)

I'm writing a little to Keith even as we speak...

diamondD
12-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by FORD
So you'll go to NYC or Seattle to see a concert, but not Nashville? ;)

You lost me. What does it have to do with Nashville? And yes I have gone to Nashville for a show. It's just a little over 5 hours from me.

just heard but haven't confirmed that we are gettnig Merle Haggard to open in LR now.

Last I saw, LR is the last show of the tour in the US. Might be the last chance to ever see Charlie live. Come on down Dave, and I'll take you to a place with over 200 beers. :D

diamondD
12-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Well crap. One more show after LR now in Ft Lauderdale. And I saw what you were saying about Nashville now after rereading the thread.